shredo

IL2 COD BLITZ vr support when?

I just wonder though that with so many hi-res TFS 5.0 cockpits VR might be quite difficult and/or time consuming to implement!? 

VR means that 3D is needed in the cockpits for about everything, something I have no idea what that would mean for Clod!? 

If VR is not done right, would it not be a waste of time? 

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, simfan2015 said:

I just wonder though that with so many hi-res TFS 5.0 cockpits VR might be quite difficult and/or time consuming to implement!? 

VR means that 3D is needed in the cockpits for about everything, something I have no idea what that would mean for Clod!? 

Think of it this way. TF 5.0 can be a "success" if it can just keep the current Blitz online community alive. It does not necessarily need to attract and grow a community of "casual" gamers. If Blitz were "fun" to play there would be a larger existing player base. The issues that keep the Blitz player base small would persist whenever TF 5.0 were to surface. There would of course be new sales to buyers who want to see what TF 5.0 is all about, but at the end of the day a bullet proof and "fun" user experience would be needed to grow the new user base. Obviously VR would be a huge plus for attracting new users , but I doubt it is really doable no matter how earnest an intention to make it happen.

Edited by Dagwoodyt

VR is fantastic... but I can't see behind my aircraft. I would love to be able to scale the rotation enough that I could see behind me better.  Then match that with the limited field of view in VR...  there is no way I can sacrifice that visibility.  Back on the old days I could plant my hand on the canopy and force my helmet up and around some to get a better view... but I am not building a cockpit and jamming my head into it again. 

VR is GREAT for racing...  and super immersive for flying, but Track IR works great and allows me to see where I need to look. Just getting old takes it's toll too.

8 minutes ago, LarryLudwig said:

VR is fantastic... but I can't see behind my aircraft. I would love to be able to scale the rotation enough that I could see behind me better.  Then match that with the limited field of view in VR...  there is no way I can sacrifice that visibility.  Back on the old days I could plant my hand on the canopy and force my helmet up and around some to get a better view... but I am not building a cockpit and jamming my head into it again. 

VR is GREAT for racing...  and super immersive for flying, but Track IR works great and allows me to see where I need to look. Just getting old takes it's toll too.

I completely understand your POV, but I don't see your point relative to TF 5.0. It is not currently available and won't have VR even when it is.

and Blitz

Posted (edited)

Isn't that CloD Blitz in vorpX post by a TFS dev, so not an available option to the rest of us for now?

Edited by Charlo-VR
grammar

I would switch to VR if there was a good way to use the keyboard with it. There are just so many bindings, you can't set 5% of them to your joystick. How do y'all do it?

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, danielprates said:

I would switch to VR if there was a good way to use the keyboard with it. There are just so many bindings, you can't set 5% of them to your joystick. How do y'all do it?

I have multiple controllers and have more buttons available than I can always remember so I just use VoiceAttack if I forget a binding button. The few keyboard keys I need I know by feel. The issue you raise is simply imaginary. Anyway it is irrelevant to Blitz/TF 5.0.

17 hours ago, simfan2015 said:

My understanding is that there are few graphics elements that are not VR ready. OTOH my understanding is also that, due to rush to get TF 5.0 out the door, there has not been time available to catalog whatever graphics elements might not be VR ready. For instance I would love to know how the Beaufighter cockpit elements would look in VR.

Edited by Dagwoodyt

1 hour ago, danielprates said:

By having 18 buttons on my throttle and 22 on my stick 😁 in IL2 BoS I have no issues, and so far what I've played in CloD I have everything I feel I need mapped with some buttons to spare. But I don't fly bombers so that would probably complicate things.

I also have non-critical functions that I don't need often (e.g. engine starts, canopy controls) on the keyboard, in easy to find places such as the Insert/Delete/Home/End/PgUp/PgDn button group.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dagwoodyt said:

My understanding is that there are few graphics elements that are not VR ready.

That is great news.

However, there is also the issue of the UI ... most VR games that alse have a pancake version have a terrible 2D UI AFAIK.

VR + NON-VR seems complicated to do right !?

51 minutes ago, =X51=VC_ said:

By having 18 buttons on my throttle and 22 on my stick 😁 in IL2 BoS I have no issues,

What is it, a warthog?

9 minutes ago, danielprates said:

What is it, a warthog?

Not exactly but close, TWCS throttle and a TM F/A-18 grip.

• Thanks 1

I just saw the latest update with all of the available desert aircraft and man this looks promising. Unfortunately I've been flying VR for a few years now and just can't go back to a 2D monitor. I'm really hoping this gets VR support. I'm sorry but I've missed their communication on the matter and I'm unsure if VR is a "definite never", a "definite some day", or a "maybe one day"?

• Upvote 1

I am more interested in any work into its User interface which is/was tired old and clunky.  Those damn text windows in particular. No one seems to mention it, yet for me, it would have been one of the first things I would have addressed..  (if I had the skills, time, know how, commitment. Etc etc...)

I wish them well with the release. It looks good.  I will be back when they implement VR though I’m not rushing it as I am enjoying MMP in BOS.  Just hope the UI doesn’t take away from all their hard work.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 1_Robert_VR said:

I just saw the latest update with all of the available desert aircraft and man this looks promising. Unfortunately I've been flying VR for a few years now and just can't go back to a 2D monitor. I'm really hoping this gets VR support. I'm sorry but I've missed their communication on the matter and I'm unsure if VR is a "definite never", a "definite some day", or a "maybe one day"?

Of course the answers are "maybe one day" and "maybe never". The word "definite" is problematic.

Edited by Dagwoodyt

I’m not fussed if VR happens or not but I would like to see 5.0 released, so I’m glad development isn’t being held up just for that. 

If they add it later on that’s cool for those who are interested, but hopefully it doesn’t slow down progress towards any future releases. I’d rather have a functional, high-quality 2D flight sim with periodic updates and a future roadmap with an active playerbase, before anything extra like VR gets added. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Royal_Flight said:

I’m not fussed if VR happens or not but I would like to see 5.0 released, so I’m glad development isn’t being held up just for that. 

If they add it later on that’s cool for those who are interested, but hopefully it doesn’t slow down progress towards any future releases. I’d rather have a functional, high-quality 2D flight sim with periodic updates and a future roadmap with an active playerbase, before anything extra like VR gets added. 

same answers

10 hours ago, TWC_Sp00k said:

I am more interested in any work into its User interface which is/was tired old and clunky.  

Indeed ! Unfortunately I read that this would not really be addressed in TFS 5.0.

I do hope they will be able to correct the old fashion UI at least to some extent !?

This UI was the first thing that struck me and it sure did not look as an AAA title to me.

I got used to it in time, but still ...

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Royal_Flight said:

+1

Seems a bit short-sighted to build a TF 5.0 for those who already accept its' deficiencies. How does one get to and grow "an active player base" without first implementing a user friendly interface and VR option? Sure, new customers would buy a TF 5.0 but what might follow could be the same complaints over user interface quirks that would quickly change fora moods. Can you imagine what might follow if a coming VR patch were implied but not delivered in timely fashion? Sure the team and active Blitz players are anxious for TF 5.0 to be released. In reality though TF 5.0 has been promised for many years as "coming soon". I have never lost sleep over the delay. If a VR patch could be implemented in timely fashion, certainly that would be worth a 6 month release delay, but is a 6 month delay a realistic timeline? No one can say. I doubt it is possible to overstate the significance of failure to implement an updated, friendly UI. To me this suggests that a VR patch is highly unlikely to surface, no matter customer dreams.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Dagwoodyt said:

If a VR patch could be implemented in timely fashion, certainly that would be worth a 6 month release delay

Strongly disagree. 

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Royal_Flight said:

Strongly disagree. 

I strongly agree with your strong disagreement. Some people need to take their VR googles off long enough to see the bigger, flatter reality (and with a little more clarity enhancing resolution i would suggest).  

Pandering to a small (but sometimes very vocal) community of early adopters of a currently pretty shonky and expensive tech isnt going to the saviour of any game. In fact it appears to have a negative effect on development/ progress in many cases. All three of the main CFSs have some some pretty serious and limiting issues to overcome and none of those would look any better in 3D. 

Personally i am past being bored with thinking about how many wasted hours DCS has given to "VR optimisation" when their 2D optimisation is still way off the mark. Wasting time and resources in optimising something to be roughly the same standard of Sh1t as its flat counterpart is as much of a nonsense to me as a flat clod is to DagwoodyT.

As for sandCLOD, just getting it out of the door in a state where at least most of the traditional major cloddities are fixed would be a gamechanger to me. The arguement for them not developing a fan base beyond those already committed without VR is also a nonsense to me given how much it costs over an already pretty expensive 2D rig and how comparatively few use it in relation to the whole currently. I just cant believe that there are that many VR users out there to make a difference currently although i will accept that VR users are probably more likely to have disposable cash to support it if VR were to be firmly promised.

What will make a difference to me coming back to clod is if it works. Not if it doesnt but its in 3D. As such Im as much a part of that elusive fanbase TFS need to get as any VR-er. 

Edited by BOO
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6

While I peronally won't play CLOD before VR implementation as I'm spoiled by the awesome BOS VR experience I can't see any reason why the release of completed flat content should be delayed for VR implementation.

Buzzsaw roughly paraphrased: "First  5.0 - then VR if sales say yes"

So they don't have the ressources to do it parallely. So 5.0 will be ready before they work an VR - why not release it then? VR users wouldn't be able to play it any day sooner - but everyone else would.

I don't get your point Dagwoodyt. Sorry.

1 hour ago, Eisenfaustus said:

While I peronally won't play CLOD before VR implementation as I'm spoiled by the awesome BOS VR experience I can't see any reason why the release of completed flat content should be delayed for VR implementation.

Buzzsaw roughly paraphrased: "First  5.0 - then VR if sales say yes"

So they don't have the ressources to do it parallely. So 5.0 will be ready before they work an VR - why not release it then? VR users wouldn't be able to play it any day sooner - but everyone else would.

I don't get your point Dagwoodyt. Sorry.

People have been waiting a long, long time for 5.0 (Tobruk) to come out. As well as getting the opportunity to fly the Wellington, D.520, Martlett, P-40C, Gladiator, and over map, other than the Channel map. And against ships other than a Tanker, Minesweeper and Corvette.

With every video/picture of the upcoming expansion TF shows us, the more anxious people become to get it. Delaying the release by several months due to VR getting implemented would likely cause more delays to the overall release, and make people continue flying the Battle of Britain planes over the Channel map with pretty much the same game issues, thus making them more determined than ever for 5.0 to be released. 
I would rather have the new map, aircraft, ships, features, fixes, etc. pretty much out of the way first (completed/released) and then focusing on VR.

BTW, (unless sales are incredibly poor, which I highly doubt) one would think that when Tobruk is out the door, and some people say “ Looks good, but without VR, not buying.”, then it would make sense to add VR to the game.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

It is easy to drift into a mindset wherein every failure to implement user friendly UI upgrades is rationalized by a perceived urgency to rush a product to market and every delay is rationalized by a stated commitment to have the product perfect at launch. I believe that discussion of a VR option for CloD has been discussed in forums as early as February 2016. Access to source code seems to date from early 2017. I don't understand why a VR implementation would not have been integral to the TF 5.0 development plan given that history. I generally don't let myself get excited over promotional videos as they are typically long on cinematics and short on exposition of actual game play details. Likewise, a vast profusion of available objects does not mean those objects will all show up in scenarios other than those you create in the mission editor. Maybe it is so because that is the path of least resistance.

• Upvote 2

On 6/30/2020 at 12:31 PM, Dagwoodyt said:

It is easy to drift into a mindset wherein every failure to implement user friendly UI upgrades is rationalized by a perceived urgency to rush a product to market and every delay is rationalized by a stated commitment to have the product perfect at launch. I believe that discussion of a VR option for CloD has been discussed in forums as early as February 2016. Access to source code seems to date from early 2017. I don't understand why a VR implementation would not have been integral to the TF 5.0 development plan given that history. I generally don't let myself get excited over promotional videos as they are typically long on cinematics and short on exposition of actual game play details. Likewise, a vast profusion of available objects does not mean those objects will all show up in scenarios other than those you create in the mission editor. Maybe it is so because that is the path of least resistance.

Agreed!!

Fellas, TF knows that VR is important to a good segment of the community, and we would like to implement it.

The resources were not there in this go round, but assuming this release is successful, and there is a point to continuing, then it is up there on the 'To Do' list.  😉

That's all we can really say.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Buzzsaw said:

Fellas, TF knows that VR is important to a good segment of the community, and we would like to implement it.

The resources were not there in this go round, but assuming this release is successful, and there is a point to continuing, then it is up there on the 'To Do' list.  😉

That's all we can really say.

Nice, I thought it wasn't even in the radar, I'll keep an eye open and buy it as soon as it is supported. Please implement it! I'm sure lots of us VR pilots will follow...

Just a quick word> I have played Great Battles for quite a while using first an early Oculus Headset & now for more than a year the Pimax5K+ which in spite of a bit of SDE & lowered FPS I do really like.Also I am a very long time player( and believer in,) of CloD & Blitz  using Track IR forever. I do have to say that I play GB more since VR has been available. Having said that I have a great deal of respect for the people who brought us all the improvements way back when in CloD and more recently Blitz AND have been looking forward to the premier of Tobruk ( I'll be first to buy & fly. I know it won't be perfect but I can live with fixes along the way. After all Il-2 Sturmovik, Rise of Flight,Cliffs of Dover, nor the BOX series were perfect when they fist appeared ( BoX was particularly ...uh....spare of features & its FM  's  were pretty shaky back on initial release too...)

So I'll download it & play it with Track IR- that will be ok, and its been posted that early next year it could be VR user friendly as well that's good news.I can wait I 'll have plenty to play with  its release and GB with all its variations ,won't I?

In the meantime I'll save my pennies to replace my aging 2080 graphics card ( I've been told that a new & improved 30__ series of cards is in the works & they won't be cheap,will they?) Who knows during the wait new & improved VR headsets will be entering the market as well & I can replce myy aging Pimax as well...maybe with the much more user friendly & economical(?) Oculus SDE free model...If so the wait will be more than welcome...

I'm fine with the release without VR first - it makes sense not to delay for that. I personally won't play in non-VR, so it does mean that I need to make the choice to buy the product just to support it (without playing it) or waiting for the VR support in the future, but that's another question entirely

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, ptisinge said:

I'm fine with the release without VR first - it makes sense not to delay for that. I personally won't play in non-VR, so it does mean that I need to make the choice to buy the product just to support it (without playing it) or waiting for the VR support in the future, but that's another question entirely

I am in the same boat, but I have decided to pre-order to support the product in the hope that VR comes next year.  I know, it sounds like I am mad, but I would like to support the project at this point in the hope of securing a viable future for Team Fusion.   

I only fly in VR now, so I don't fly CloD any more and I shan't be flying this title, even though I will purchase it, until it is available in VR.  If it is never available in VR then I shall never fly it and it will be the end of the road for my association with this title.  

It is my view that without a move to VR, this product is unlikely to prove viable in the medium to long run.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

i would come back if they added VR to the game.  I will not buy the DLC until they add it to the game.  COD is an awesome game but it needs to be updated to the current sims.

Edited by RAF_Seawolf
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 5

This will be an immediate buy from me once they implement VR.

• Upvote 3

As others have suggested, VR implementation is heavily dependent on ability to manipulate the UI. Let's see what Blitz 5.0 brings us in that regard.

I'm waiting and hoping .....if it does come with VR ....I'll buy multiple copies for sure

Initially I was on the same track, waiting for VR and then buy. Changed my mind though. Bought it to increase the sales and the possibility of VR implementation in the future. 

Me too, bought it to play it on screen and increase the possibility of VR implementation

Posted (edited)

S! 

Kind of a strange situation. VR people say they won't buy if no VR, TFS has said VR comes if enough sales. So do VR people wait that others pay for their wanted feature and only after that hop on?

People seem to think VR is a magic thing that just needs to be slapped on, just like that. Microsoft's new FlightSim 2020 gets it next year at some point and we are talking about a firm that has more money and manpower than propably current sim makers put together. Wonder why they did not do a day one VR implementation?

Don't get me wrong. I want VR too, due the immersion and all. And as it finally seems to be getting there with Reverb G2 and new GPUs coming out this fall = already saving up. Until then can easily play using a screen and supported TFS by getting Tobruk. Not a bad deal. 

Edited by LLv34_Flanker
Typos
  • Upvote 1

I already bought blitz and will buy 5.0, i guess what i meant is i will buy some friends some copies as well to try and get more players.  but i wont play it unless its in VR.  i know the Headset now is not as good as the G2 is gonna be ( i have the Samsung Odyssey plus ) but it is impossible, for me, to go back to flat screen from VR....... i cant do it

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

S! 

Kind of a strange situation. VR people say they won't buy if no VR, TFS has said VR comes if enough sales. So do VR people wait that others pay for their wanted feature and only after that hop on?

People seem to think VR is a magic thing that just needs to be slapped on, just like that. Microsoft's new FlightSim 2020 gets it next year at some point and we are talking about a firm that has more money and manpower than propably current sim makers put together. Wonder why they did not do a day one VR implementation?

Don't get me wrong. I want VR too, due the immersion and all. And as it finally seems to be getting there with Reverb G2 and new GPUs coming out this fall = already saving up. Until then can easily play using a screen and supported TFS by getting Tobruk. Not a bad deal. 

I think you need to reexamine your post. TFS has not "promised" VR for Blitz/DW. I doubt that MS has explicitly "promised" VR for FS2020. Even with a "promise" all sorts of unforeseen circumstances might throw plans off course. Further there is question as to whether MS has simply purchased a game engine and is planning on profiting off it rather than having developed an engine internally at its' own expense.  Also, VR is irrelevant if either of those games proves to be more trouble and/or expense than fun to play. For a very few folks the actual "game" of Blitz is simply getting it to not crash repeatedly. Blitz to me is an online game with SP elements as "window dressing". How deep is the Blitz campaign system after all the years TF has spent on Blitz/NA? Basics first. Examine each game post release before speculating on what might come next.

Edited by Dagwoodyt