On 5/9/2019 at 7:00 AM, VO101Kurfurst said:

And the Tempest was a far better choice for the ‘ultimate RAF fighter’ anyway.

It was a far better aircraft than the aging and in any case exceedingly rare XIV in practically all respects. Faster, better range, better visibility, better dive, it has twice, nay, thrice the fire power and so on. Whatever the XIV does the Tempest does better, not to mention the latter was historically more important that a fee dozen fourteens that did next to nothing for the most of 1944 anyway. 

The Tempest was practically a new aircraft while Supermarine could came up with what was little than an old VIII jacked up with a Griffon engine in the back of some Southhampton shed.

This is a thoroughly inaccurate portrait of the Spitfire XIV - you know it, and nobody else is on board with it.

• Upvote 8

6 hours ago, Lythronax said:

Personally? I'd rather be in the XIV over the Tempest. Acceleration, P/W, turn and rate of climb are better at all altitudes, as is top speed over 18'000 feet and roll below 300mph. 

Aside from ambush attacks, combat almost invariably devolves into medium-low altitude turning engagements ingame. The Tempest will do fine against enemies in such a fight but a XIV is simply something else in almost all regards other than dive and high-speed roll and continuous turn. 

As for firepower? If you can't hit anything with two Hispanos you'll do no better with four, so frankly it's inconsequential. 

I know this thread isn't for comparing the two but reading historical accounts of the things the XIV was capable of in close quarters combat (my favourite account is of a flight of Mustangs mistakenly bouncing a flight of XIVs, who then just opened up and climbed away untouched) has me overly excited even though it likely may never be implemented.

aah? did you made a CFD analyze of the  MK14? You seems to be so sure about those specs. Especially the rollrate, being heavier than the 9, using same wings with a lot of torsion are no good specs for a rollrate. and by the way the tempest was a faster roller than the14...and assuming all combat maneuvres start with ailerons (= roll), the tempest is a more agile plane than the 14...and the tempest is uglier with an agressive face what makes it sooo cute and attractive.:biggrin:
acceleration? do you have numbers to show ?
Turning engagements?! seriously, speed is life, each turn =speed loss, if you want to turn in 44/45 take a Spad. i'ill gladly take the 262 instead.
The 14 was a hotrod but not to the extends the web-legends seems to show...or try to make you believe.

The decision was right to put the Tempest instead the 14 but it doesn't mean there won't be any14.
It should be there as it served there.
Next year or the year after, maybe with the next episode; like battle of berlin, as a collector plane .

1 hour ago, Talon_ said:

This is a thoroughly inaccurate portrait of the Spitfire XIV - you know it, and nobody else is on board with it.

actually he's right here..:rolleyes:
Shortly explained:
Spit9: not enough speed->lets's put a bigger engine->MK12> 50%lost due to Fuel issues (not enough fuel for the engine)->lets put more fuel (=weight)-> MK14 :ok, now we can fly the same time as the 9 with higher top speed.->can we take more load than the 9?> Nope-> that's ok, we still have a faster plane, lets keep the typhoons and tempest do the ground pounding when flying loaded at the same speed as we do in clean config.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, JV69badatflyski said:

Shortly explained:
Spit9: not enough speed->lets's put a bigger engine->MK12> 50%lost due to Fuel issues (not enough fuel for the engine)->lets put more fuel (=weight)-> MK14 :ok, now we can fly the same time as the 9 with higher top speed.->can we take more load than the 9?> Nope-> that's ok, we still have a faster plane, lets keep the typhoons and tempest do the ground pounding when flying loaded at the same speed as we do in clean config.

The Spitfire was an interceptor so what's the issue with making it faster with no loss of range or turning ability?

21 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

The Spitfire was an interceptor so what's the issue with making it faster with no loss of range or turning ability?

Actually, you wrote it yourself: it's role.
That's not what was needed in 44/45, what was needed was an all arounder, a british Wurger if you want. something having enough speed to keep with the enemy and capable of delivering "ordonnance" to ennemy's terrority to cripple it's army, logisitics, etc and capable to defend itself with enough firepower in case of an encounter.
Keeping the spit in production after 43 seems more like a political decision than a logical one(it's the Spitfire, it won the BoB-crap, it's an icon, blablabla...tha same counts for the 109 btw...).

The needs shifted and the spit's role wasn't needed anymore.
If Talisman read this, maybe he could enlight us on the mk14's Tactical missions in44/45, but i doubt there is a lot of them to be found.Curious am i.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, JV69badatflyski said:

That's not what was needed in 44/45, what was needed was an all arounder, a british Wurger if you want. something having enough speed to keep with the enemy and capable of delivering "ordonnance" to ennemy's terrority to cripple it's army, logisitics, etc and capable to defend itself with enough firepower in case of an encounter.
Keeping the spit in production after 43 seems more like a political decision than a logical one(it's the Spitfire, it won the BoB-crap, it's an icon, blablabla...tha same counts for the 109 btw...).

If Talisman read this, maybe he could enlight us on the mk14's Tactical missions in44/45, but i doubt there is a lot of them to be found.Curious am i.

You know the Spitfire airframe design carried on flying until well into the 1950s right?

The Tempest made very few tactical missions with ordnance, mostly using the Hispano cannons to strafe ground targets. They preferred to keep the drop tanks on the pylons and use their great speed and range to penetrate deeper into German territory. The Spitfire 14s would usually operate in tandem above 15,000ft.

Edited by Talon_

40 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

You know the Spitfire airframe design carried on flying until well into the 1950s right?

The Tempest made very few tactical missions with ordnance, mostly using the Hispano cannons to strafe ground targets. They preferred to keep the drop tanks on the pylons and use their great speed and range to penetrate deeper into German territory. The Spitfire 14s would usually operate in tandem above 15,000ft.

That it flew into the 50's has nothing to do with the technological marvel the spit was (because it wasn't a marvel at all already in43)
it has to do with economics and the knowledge delay the english aeromanufacturers had on high speed aerodynamics.
GB was broken and couldn't allow to put enough money into new designs, it had to work with what was available, the spit still being there, new high speed wings, contra-prop and hop, a new faster airplane, but even in this config, could it compete with the 44's schwalbe and it's autodestructive burners? Nope....
Until German highspeed tunnels tests have been analyzed, tested and confirmed, GB wasn't able to produce any high speed airplane usable as a weapon (don't go the meteor flying brick  way here...;)).

As for the tempest: heavy weaponery is ordonance, it has enough power to destroy and disrupt.
that's not the 2 .50 that could do something, but the 4 20mm were enough to provide serious damage on static and moving targets, especially if you have like 4 or 5x the ammo quantity the spit had.
The tempest was simply a better plane for the needs of the time.
The spit has nice curves and is nice to look at , but at war, if an ugly plane do what the HQ recquires, the ugly plane is simply better. (Beauty is subjective :biggrin: )

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JV69badatflyski said:

aah? did you made a CFD analyze of the  MK14? You seems to be so sure about those specs. Especially the rollrate, being heavier than the 9, using same wings with a lot of torsion are no good specs for a rollrate. and by the way the tempest was a faster roller than the14...and assuming all combat maneuvres start with ailerons (= roll), the tempest is a more agile plane than the 14...and the tempest is uglier with an agressive face what makes it sooo cute and attractive.:biggrin:
acceleration? do you have numbers to show ?
Turning engagements?! seriously, speed is life, each turn =speed loss, if you want to turn in 44/45 take a Spad. i'ill gladly take the 262 instead.
The 14 was a hotrod but not to the extends the web-legends seems to show...or try to make you believe.

The decision was right to put the Tempest instead the 14 but it doesn't mean there won't be any14.
It should be there as it served there.
Next year or the year after, maybe with the next episode; like battle of berlin, as a collector plane .

Shortly explained:

On your third point there - that's not true, development wasn't as linear as it seems. The XIV is a Griffon-engined refinement of the Mk VIII, which entered service later and had a longer development cycle than the Mk IX. You could consider it and the Mk VII the "second generation" of Merlin Spits, as underneath the skinning. essentially the whole airframe was revised (i.e. strengthened wings, shorter span ailerons, reinforced fuselage, a redesigned cockpit and increased fuel capacity by virtue of tanks in the wings). Range, with  increased fuel consumption but greater capacity, was roughly similar to the IX. Also introduced later on in XIV (and IX) production was an 85 or 66 gallon tank behind the cockpit. The XIV has a higher VnE, stiffer wings and lighter aileron authority at higher speeds than the Mk IX they simply aren't so comparable.

The Mk IX (and XII since you mentioned it) itself is a re-engined Mk VC. An almost completely different airframe. 

As for flying at the same speed clean as Typhoons and Tempests whilst loaded? You're just being daft and provocative.

Edited by Lythronax
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Lythronax said:

As for flying at the same speed clean as Typhoons and Tempests whilst loaded? You're just being daft and provocative

The ramblings of somebody who doesn't really know all that much about Spitfires but is relying on a lack of specific knowledge amongst his audience to appear that he does.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Lythronax said:

text

Thank you , but i'm aware of the changes made and we may say that the only thing they did was adding weight to stiff it.
Reinforced fuselage by adding spars, escomatable rearwheel, larger tanks and wing tanks.
Switching dials and levers their place in the cockpit doesn't change a thing about the weight. The pilots still didn't have the ergonomy of a 190's cockpit...far from there.
I know, worked on a MK14 in Brussels. Never drop something in a spit cockpit or you'll loose it forever....:rolleyes:
I also put the worlds "shorlty explained" followed by the sarcastic explanation, just in case you missed it.
But still, i do not see any numbers/figures from your part.
Rollrate curve?
Stick forces?
On my side, i stay with the fact that the 14 is just an overhyped hotrod used in very small numbers proportionally to other spit's Marks and even worse if proportionally to the whole Fighter command.And no it wasn't even close to the maneuvrability of the mk5ccc
The numbers of mk14 operationnal assignements can be found here on the forum somewhere if you want to see how much airframes were in what squadron .

BUT: i do not say it hasn't its place in the game, for now it's just missing, i'm sure it will come and will be glad to fly it.

27 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

The ramblings of somebody who doesn't really know all that much about Spitfires but is relying on a lack of specific knowledge amongst his audience to appear that he does.

In case you wonder what it is,  a definition in the english dictionary:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/sarcastic

:P

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JV69badatflyski said:

And no it wasn't even close to the maneuvrability of the mk5ccc

Vs Spit IX

Turning Circle
18. The turning circles of both aircraft are identical. The Spitfire XIV appears to turn slightly better to port than it does to starbord. The warning of an approaching high speed stall is less pronounced in the case of the Spitfire Mk XIV.

Rate of Roll
19. Rate of roll is very much the same

From AFDU Tac trials

• Like 1

That‘s new. Now they say we don‘t need the Spit XIV because it is a bad aircraft.

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

i would take MkXIV insted Tempest any time for game like this, Tempest V is good when compared to what allied side gets with BoBp(depending how mest up P-51 timers are maybe even best), but not better then Spitfire MkXIV. But i see concernes as it would be first time in game axis side would have to face fighter with eaqual abilitys to their best props, they would only have 262 to fall back to.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, JV69badatflyski said:

This is a complete misunderstanding of the actual roles of the Tempest V and Spitfire XIV in 2 TAF service: neither aircraft were used - nor were they needed - in a so-called "tactical role" (ie; fighter-bomber) because that role was fulfilled by the Typhoon (arguably the "British Wurger" ) and Spitfire L.F Mk IX/XVIs respectively.

Neither the Tempest or Spitfire XIV carried bombs or rockets (with the exception of a few Tempest sorties right at the end of the European war), because their primary role was to act as air-superiority fighters, with ground attack being secondary. (There were also Spitfire F.R Mk XIV equipped tactical reconnaissance squadrons; while their primary role was tac recon, they also engaged in air-air combat and should not be separated from the pure fighter squadrons.) 

As Thomas and Shores explained (see below), the Tempest and XIV's performance characteristics complemented each other, and both proved to be very useful and successful in 2 TAF service: that there were fewer and fewer encounters with Luftwaffe fighters, particularly after the debacle of Bodenplatte, had nothing to do with the merits of either the Tempest or Spitfire XIV.

The simple fact is the Spitfire XIV was still a world-class piston engine fighter in 1945, badatflyski's reservations notwithstanding.

2nd Tactical Air Force Vol 2104.jpg

2nd Tactical Air Force Vol 2105.jpg

2nd Tactical Air Force Vol 2106.jpg

BTW: The 3 pages posted are from Christopher Shores and Chris Thomas' 2nd Tactical Air Force Volume 2: Breakout to Bodenplatte: July 1944 to January 1945

hopefully, they provide a more balanced perspective than one or two comments posted in this thread.

Edited by NZTyphoon
Add book title
  • Upvote 6

Great read.  Tks for sharing!

On 5/9/2019 at 5:57 AM, 77.CountZero said:

it could easy replace P-38J that was also not there in big numbers

The Ninth Air Force had the 367th, 370th, and 474th operating at the time. That is three full fighter groups. Fairly large numbers, actually.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, JV69badatflyski said:

On my side, i stay with the fact that the 14 is just an overhyped hotrod used in very small numbers proportionally to other spit's Marks and even worse if proportionally to the whole Fighter command.

Of course, it is well documented that the German fighter pilots were constantly sniggering at the thought of confronting old, very rare, over-hyped hotrods with a badly designed cockpit and stiffer, heavier fuselage: conversely, there are many, many combat reports showing that Spitfire XIV pilots were thoroughly demoralized, knowing that they would inevitably encounter hoards of rapacious 109K-4s using 1.98 ata, while also having to worry about all those mysterious, loose objects rattling around beneath their feet. The few Spitfire XIV pilots who survived the numerous 109K-4s, plus all the carelessly dropped spanners and other miscellaneous objects being flung around around their cockpits, were mostly gibbering wrecks after a few weeks of combat service.

Edited by NZTyphoon
spelling
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Poochnboo said:

The Ninth Air Force had the 367th, 370th, and 474th operating at the time. That is three full fighter groups. Fairly large numbers, actually.

And there was 5 Spitfire XIV squadrons + 2 reccon squadrons, it could easy be replaced by Spitfire XIV as premium airplane for bobp and would be better planset matchup.

But when we get it as next separat collectable, it wont mather what come with bobp.

4 minutes ago, 77.CountZero said:

And there was 5 Spitfire XIV squadrons + 2 reccon squadrons, it could easy be replaced by Spitfire XIV as premium airplane for bobp and would be better planset matchup.

But when we get it as next separat collectable, it wont mather what come with bobp.

Three Fighter Groups is equivalent to nine squadrons.

Pooch didn't even include the various F-5 recce squadrons of the 9th.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

Three Fighter Groups is equivalent to nine squadrons.

Pooch didn't even include the various F-5 recce squadrons of the 9th.

and 367th is not in game map area for bobp so its just 2 FG and 6 squadrons then, compared to 5 Spitfire XIV squadrons (not counting recons if you wont ), and only one FG stayed on P-38s, 370th switched to P-51s sone in feb 45.

Edited by 77.CountZero

14 minutes ago, 77.CountZero said:

and 367th is not in game map area for bobp so its just 2 FG and 6 squadrons then, compared to 5 Spitfire XIV squadrons (not counting recons if you wont ), and only one FG stayed on P-38s, 370th switched to P-51s sone in feb 45.

And what exactly is your argument then?

Place the map slightly different and there's gonna be more P-38 fighter groups and zip XIV squadrons.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

And what exactly is your argument then?

Place the map slightly different and there's gonna be more P-38 fighter groups and zip XIV squadrons.

P-38 is old airplane even in 44, squadrons are geting rid of it, Spitfire XIV is new airplane that is coming.

When you have k4s d9 and 262s on one side with all best posible engine regimes, and then you dont give other side same best posible and call it its because of numbers of airplanes ? example of switching P-38 for Spitfire XIV shows how easy is to give best posible airplane and have numbers also on your side.

Its same as if axis got 109g14, 109g10, 190a8, 190a9 and ar234, its all good as they were there, but it aint best posible option like they got now

while only way it could got wors for allieds if tempest was also replaced by typhoon, when you dont have best posible engine or fuels given to them on top of that for airplanes that should have that mods also like axis have, and axis side could not get any better in bobp planset when you look at performance

Edited by 77.CountZero

Fortunately the plane set was not chosen purely on MP performance. The P-38 will bring variety ( and a twin) for allies. 

I'm all for Griffin Spit as later addition, it just makes sense, also for 150 oct/etc to be introduced before full release of BP

Cheers, Dakpilot 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The P-38 is a newer airplane than the Spitfire. The Spit XIV is an old airplane with a newer, bigger engine. The Spit XIV is an airplane with lesser overall capability than the contemporary P-38. Period. The P-38 was replaced by the P-47 and P-51 because they were cheaper and more suitable for high altitude fighter missions.

None of this is of any interest at low altitude. Additionally, the P-38J will come as a surprise to many people thinking it's just another dud twin.

Posted (edited)

What ill suprse me, its good and stable gun platform with nice veiw, great turner, good climber on full power, good roll, big wide target, slower then any bobp allied airplane on all alts.

Only thing that will suprise me on P-38J, that i know and liked from il-2 1946, is how bad his engines wil be in this game, 5min emergancy and 15min combat, your basicly flying only on continues all the time.

So what i know P-38 is good for will not be of any use in this game exept on berloga, like other usaf airplanes now, while spits, 109s 190s vvs can fly all day long on combat power usaf are continues mode as normal option.

Edited by 77.CountZero

So you're getting from "more airplanes" over to "old airplane" to "porked because of the engine model".

Yes, a Spit XIV would be cool.

No, the Spit XIV is not more important/ better suited/ newer/ whatever than a P-38J.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bremspropeller said:

The P-38 is a newer airplane than the Spitfire. The Spit XIV is an old airplane with a newer, bigger engine. The Spit XIV is an airplane with lesser overall capability than the contemporary P-38. Period. The P-38 was replaced by the P-47 and P-51 because they were cheaper and more suitable for high altitude fighter missions.

None of this is of any interest at low altitude. Additionally, the P-38J will come as a surprise to many people thinking it's just another dud twin.

The Spit VIII airframe that went into the XIVs was a completely new aircraft, newer than the P-38 which never had a major redesign since introduction. They also flew until the end of the war unlike the Lightning.

Edited by Talon_
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

I have a hard time seeing the underlying problem here.

The Tempest Mk. V and the Spitfire Mk. XIV were the latest fighter designs put into action by the 2nd TAF and very competitive. BoBP contains the Tempest. It adds variety, as does the P-38. 

In the end, it's not about the lack of a competitive RAF fighter, but simply about preferences.

1 hour ago, Talon_ said:

The Spit VIII airframe that went into the XIVs was a completely new aircraft, newer than the P-38 which never had a major redesign since introduction. They also flew until the end of the war unlike the Lightning.

Cut the fairy-tales.

The Spit VIII is as much a "totally new" airframe as the 109K is a totally new airframe to the 109E.

Nothing on the late war Spitfires was "new". It was a 9-10 year old airframe.

Last time I checked, Lightnings flew through to V-J day.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bremspropeller said:

2 hours ago, Talon_ said:

he P-38 which never had a major redesign since introduction

This is getting a bit stupid, really. Yes, the Lightning flew right up to the end of the war. As a matter of fact, P-38's were escorting the Japanese surrender delegation to Ie Shima in August of '45. The 474th kept their P-38's to the end. They were still operating with the 15th Air Force down Italy. They were in China, they were in the Pacific, and if I'm not mistaken, they were the first American fighters to land in Japan when the war ended. And really, think about the statement you made concerning redesign. Think about WHY. It wasn't redesigned because the airplane didn't need it! When something works, why are you redesigning it? 

But what makes this all stupid, is why the conversation about the Griffon Spits turned into a "why do we need the P-38?" tirade. Why would the Lightnings have to go in order for us to have Spit 14's? 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Poochnboo said:

Think about WHY. It wasn't redesigned because the airplane didn't need it! When something works, why are you redesigning it? 

Technically it was re-designed, but that happened on a purely evolutional basis with each variant getting a little better, instead of shoehorning a different, much larger engine into the airframe (with a driveshaft going the wrong way).

Also, he fails to give credit to the numerous experimental offsprings of the P-38, which incidentally include a Merlin-powered variant.

There were really no major redesigns in production models, I don't think. The intakes were changed because of intercooler problems, it got a bulletproof windscreen with the J model. And a new, ergonomic yoke after some pilots complaints about the original one. 

But the Spit 1 and the final Griffon Spitfires were like night and day. It was a new airplane. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I'm just.....sayin'.

This is all not to be misunderstood as me not wanting those new Spits. Bring  'em, please!

13 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

What ill suprse me, its good and stable gun platform with nice veiw, great turner, good climber on full power, good roll, big wide target, slower then any bobp allied airplane on all alts.

Only thing that will suprise me on P-38J, that i know and liked from il-2 1946, is how bad his engines wil be in this game, 5min emergancy and 15min combat, your basicly flying only on continues all the time.

So what i know P-38 is good for will not be of any use in this game exept on berloga, like other usaf airplanes now, while spits, 109s 190s vvs can fly all day long on combat power usaf are continues mode as normal option.

All of your opinions are from the viewpoint of a balanced multiplayer experience, if that's what you want please stick to war thunder.

• Haha 2

Thanks all for the great discussion on this topic.  Glad it didn't turn out to be a flame war (just a flame skirmish).  😎

That said, I think 99% agree that adding the Mk XIV to the allied stable would be beneficial for mission designers, and financially profitable for the developer.

Seen some discussion above about it not being used in overwhelming numbers vs other Mks, but I consider that superfluous since we already have aircraft that do not meet any such criteria, aka the FW-190D, the 109-K4 (w.1.98 ATA...never made it into production, let alone combat), and soon the ME-262.

Also, some discussion about adding yet another allied plane to an already robust variety when Axis only has ME-109 and FW-190 (and variants thereof to choose from).  Actually, they do have one IT plane, but not often seen on many servers.  Somehow, this lack of variety is being associated with "balance."  IMO, this has nothing to do with balance.  It merely reflects the aircraft offered by the main antagonists/protagonists in this TOW(s):  Germany vs USSR, USA and GB.  Hence one would expect to see more variety on the allies.  Most of Germany's allies used their aircraft, so one can expect less variety on the axis side.

In any case, appreciate the above discussion.  I learned quite a bit from two or three very informative posts with historical documentation.  Just hope that the Devs are already planning on adding this aircraft.

Tschüss!

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

So much for my comment that Spitfire XIVs didn't carry bombs! Just rediscovered 402(Canadian) Sqn's ORB (Operational Record Book) for February 1945..see pages 5 & 7, starting on Feb 22 (also note close escort for medium bombers on Feb 28)

402 Sqn ORB Feb 45.pdf

Edited by NZTyphoon
Note on close escort.
  • Upvote 2

On 5/12/2019 at 1:55 AM, JonRedcorn said:

All of your opinions are from the viewpoint of a balanced multiplayer experience, if that's what you want please stick to war thunder.

Well MP is all about balance, show me server in this game that is not balancing things and have players playing on it.

The Spitfire XIV is a must have for BoBP IMHO, and I see little reason not to give it 21 lbs boost, even if I would be happy enough with 18 lbs just to see it ingame.

The Germans have 1.98ata K-4's (which I don't see as fantasy btw) and Me262's, so IMO there is no reason for not adding the Spitfire XIV, none at all.

Aside from all other points of debate, it would undoubtedly be a big earner for the team.

• Upvote 2