My idea for a modern FFB stick

My last MS FF2 finally gave it up, only a few buttons that I can eventually rewire.

I had a perceived epiphany : )

As a pilot I was thrilled with being able to feel the edge of the stall, and compression of high speed. Now I think the biggest flaw in FF sticks is gearing, and motors. I also feel that not nearly enough has been done for FF fans, aside from G940.

My idea is a stick of Warthog quality, that has FF. To achieve this I have been looking into micro hydraulics. This would in theory work perfect for flight control feedback, simple resistance no springs,gears,or motors....well. One small motor for pump. Personally I could not care less about recoil effects.

Perhaps this has been done, if not It certainly seems doable

Yeah...some people know my tendency to review flight sim hardware and not be all that easy to please. 

It doesn't seem like it should be all that hard, but nothing I've used really feels much like real control sticks and rudder pedals....I've already modeled a design for both that I think would be awesome, and have some plans for serious FFB with the option to run realistic levels of stick forces. Oh to have the time to actually start producing them! 

I could probably have them made at my company, if I could just convince the bean-counters that it wouldn't cost us too much. There just aren't that many people out there that want this hardware. 

that sounds...a bit pricey :biggrin:

I like the idea though, hydraulic may help to get rid of the gears we sometimes feel moving the stick. It may produce some stronger FFB to better simulate the locking of controls in certains situations, and hall sensors are just perfect for joystick.

But anyway, more thant 2K$ is way, I mean WAY out of my budget for stick. 300$ is what I would put into a hotas, but no way it is going into a single stick.

I own a G940, and despite all its imperfections, I really enjoy the heck out of it. And the lak of FFB on this week early access get me off the sim for the session. and regarding how many people have a FFB stick, there is definitely a market to be filled here since there is no more company making a FFB system at the moment. So I eagerly look forward for the next generation of FFB

Paccus is a great initiative I think. Using hydraulics instead of electromotors will give much more realistic feedback + this is the only way to produce high enough torque without too much power usage for full length control sticks and pedals.

I mailed Paccus recently to get an update about  the company. They are working on a consumer product, and they plan to show it to the public this year. I do not have any detailed info about it. Hopefully it will be more affordable and have more ac control stick alike design.

MM

I bet he does. But I can think of a couple of reason why electromagnectic would work on such a yoke and not on a joystick, axis wise for instance. 

Here there is only a axle going through the base. It can easily be linked to a electromagnet to reflect force.

But what about a joystick, where things are a bit different. There you have a pivot, and need to run force through this 2-axis pivot. so it might be complicated.

BTW hydraulics may be the key. As stated, you don't want it to leaked, but I think a good QC would get rid of this problem

I think?

Electromagnetic is the way to go as the force can be controlled electronically by voltage, instead of a pump hydraulically.

If cost/maintenance is no object?  Combine them and let the "hydraulics" be used to "dampen" the forces.

Anything that has a "wear" factor to it is going to wear out, be it hydraulic or electric motor gears.  My vote would be for EM electromagnetic. 

• Upvote 1

ok, that is what I was talking about. 

so there is a simple way to use electromagnets for FFB effect.

So if anybody happens to see a kickstarter or some sort of crowdfunding projet for such a stick, please let me (us?) know

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And make costing under 1000$... ;)

Realistically, are a possible plans for F.F stick from VKB. From Sukhoi:

As for devices with return (force) (force feedback) is once again talking about our plans.
1) We do a simulator for the military. Tentative date - summer.
2) Before sending military simulator we give it to the test in 777.
3) Only after receiving confirmation from the 777 that our development is good for the CPB  (il-2 BoS) - we begin to develop a civilian version.

"Military" FF? Sounds more Force Sense...

"Two years, be sure":) 

Sokol1

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

"Shake"  the plane:

Sokol1

LoL, flying with that device would surely get my neighbours  on their feet....they do tolerate the effect if accompanied by female screams, but without them and for about 3 hours nonstop- me thinks not :rolleyes: