Sign in to follow this  
molotovb

Can't find anything to play during the week!

So I've played a number of sims now while the IL2 servers are down, and I have to say, nothing comes close.  Looks like I'll be spending my week waiting for friday evening.

The FX, the realistic feel of being in a machine (and not just a 3d model), the eerie similarity to gun cam footage - I don't think any other software comes close.  I was nervous about the $90, but can see now that it was absolutely worth it, and a beta at that.

So yeah, I'm addicted.  Not a terribly useful post, but I wanted to share anyway.

i wouldn't waste money on any other sim to be honest. i made mistake of buying dcs a-10. really detailed and nice, but wow, terrain is awful and no bump mapping, feels like i'm flying 2 feet above ground. scale is so off. and no multi-core. space sims like elite and star citizen, glad i skipped those, because their ship design features lift-less wings in space. so amateur imho.

the only game i bought/pre purchased this year other than il2 is called kingdom come delierance. medieval rpg

i work on the weekends so i can only play short time when the game is active. i hope they change this. but i rather do this than knowingly waste money on inferior games like thief or the cliffs of dover

• Upvote 1

Try Cliffs Of Dover with the team fusion patches. You won' t regret it.

• Upvote 1

Try Cliffs Of Dover with the team fusion patches. You won' t regret it.

1+, a big online community, don't forget to try ROF too, a lot of other great sims out there. :biggrin:

Clod is awesome.

And what about lift-less wings and space? Don't space craft use some other sort of mechanical lift? I'm pretty sure lift need some sort of fluid or gas to work.

Or was it just a kick at the space sims in general?

i wouldn't waste money on any other sim to be honest. i made mistake of buying dcs a-10. really detailed and nice, but wow, terrain is awful and no bump mapping, feels like i'm flying 2 feet above ground. scale is so off. and no multi-core. space sims like elite and star citizen, glad i skipped those, because their ship design features lift-less wings in space. so amateur imho.

the only game i bought/pre purchased this year other than il2 is called kingdom come delierance. medieval rpg

i work on the weekends so i can only play short time when the game is active. i hope they change this. but i rather do this than knowingly waste money on inferior games like thief or the cliffs of dover

you saying....

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.772855216059358.1073741829.294401370571414&type=1

their ship design has wings and other control surfaces, but they're just flat planks which aren't able to generate lift. so the funny thing is they would be pointless both in space and atmospheric flight. that design just never made sense to me. i don't find them "cool" either, because to me, cool is being imaginative and creative enough to reconcile the fantastical with the believable. like rob cunningham's designs for homeworld. you felt those ships could be real, partly because it dispensed with tired cliches of wings in space. for the most part anyway. i'm aware some ships in homeworld1/2 had generic fighter jet designs too, majority of those designed by other artists.

with star citizens, they just look like generic fighter jets in space. sort of the 50s/60s buck roger type aesthetic and approach to space vehicles. the larger capital ships lack these flaws, but there are still other silly things like huge glass canopies and huge glass panels the size of a swimming pool on capital ships. i understand situation awareness is important, but not having your entire bridge sucked out because a piece of space debris penetrated your huge shopping mall window seems a might more important. it would have been more realistic if the cockpit canopy was more like that of the space shuttle, relatively small opening. situation awareness can be enhanced by various forms of radar and scanners, and periscopes/remote cameras like those used in tanks.

sorry, that still looks pretty bland. and no ability to use sub maps like normal mapping. also, the guy's been developing that airport for years now. is it finally finished? furthermore, the general terrain doesn't look like that. the airfield uses individual separate textures other than the tiles and sat maps used by the rest of the terrain.

Edited by johncage

This will put a little spice in your life, but don't plan on it being easy.  My one complaint is that the mission success is hard to achieve, but single player is very immersive and the flight commands are excellent, even to the point of calling in reinforcements.

http://www.desastersoft.com/

I am very interested in that project, too. Looks like a tough realistic medieval wargame. No sorcery no spells no potions. The thing I've benn waiting for, so far.

The other project I'm supporting is next car game by the finnish Bugbear team, since I am a diehard fan of the series. Great fun and an amazing prealpha out right now.

Play Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad. :biggrin:

Sokol1

Edited by Sokol1
  • Upvote 2

Oh yeah. Ro2 is my all time favourite when it comes to multiplay.

Single play is STALKER with the misery mod on CoP.

And ROF,CloD and DCS.......

Holy crap! Just watched the kickstarter. I played over 250 hours on Skyrim and thought the only thing that could make it better would be to remove all the dragons, undead and magic crap. Kingdom Come looks superb and I'll definitely be having some of that action. :)

I play WarThunder (Simulator Battles) durnig the week just for exercising BnZ tactics  :)

I really want to like the Sim part of that game, but I find spotting near impossible. :(    Even rookie AI planes will nearly head on my plane before I can see the dot.

Combat Missions is what I play more than anything, probably the best war game ever. Spent a long time playing clod but it's horrible even in it's current incarnation, I'd play IL2 over CLOD any day.

Call me old school.. but IL2 still gets 10-20 just about every morning from me..

• Upvote 2

I'd say IL-2 1946 is still an awesome sim. Load up a new campaign from Mission4Today or fly some QMB or jump online and join a server. There's so many planes to fly... if you haven't tried doing some night bombing in a Pe-8 over Helsinki (single mission came in the 4.10 patch, I made it, check it out) or doing some X-4 guided rocket intercepts of some Russian Tu-4 (B-29) or other things then you should try something different.

IMHO... Star Citizen is anything but amateur. They do follow a design ethos but it is one based on a lot of aesthetics with some functionality... in the Wing Commander/FreeLancer/StarLancer/FreeSpace/StarWars/etc. tradition.

Play Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad. :biggrin:

Sokol1

Best FPS out there in my opinion

• Upvote 1

true, one of the all time greats, especially since arma 3 has now destroyed its own legacy and turned into battlefield clone with bad animations and a bigger terrain.

ro/ro2 contributed so many innovations to the genre that are still unparalleled today. inverse kinematics, correctly pivoted bipods, weapon resting, true 3d scopes, first person cover, etc.

it'd sad how no other shooter out there has even attempted some of those things.

Edited by johncage

I find myself with car pedals under my toes much more often as with rudder pedals these days. iRacing and Assetto Corsa did that to me.

I find myself with car pedals under my toes much more often as with rudder pedals these days. iRacing and Assetto Corsa did that to me.

Right there with you although I cant really take my screen very seriously with decent VR for racing and flying around the corner.

arma 3 has now destroyed its own legacy and turned into battlefield clone with bad animations and a bigger terrain

I guess it's subjective, but perhaps you're being too radical with such a statement...

I can say that I'm really enjoying the campaign, especially the scouting missions of the second episode.

Best FPS out there in my opinion

Regarding RO2, how does Rising Storm compare?

I'm kind of anxiously waiting for updates about In Country Vietnam as well... that should be good...

Edited by Picchio