AH_Olds_

Help with CH Throttle Programming

Posted (edited)

I just purchased a new CH Pro Throttle, and need some help getting started learning how to program it. Does anyone have a good tutorial on this, or a profile?

I have already seen some problems with this CM software, as the mapped mode button is grayed out, and after the second night of it being installed, now the program crashes when I go to calibrate the throttle (using Windows 10 Pro, btw).

It is a bit overwhelming trying to learn this. Was using X52 throttle, so you can see why.

Edit: I read where you need to make sure that the USB device is not being turned off. I unchecked the box in the CH portion of the Device manager for "turn off this device...", and rebooted. All the buttons came up including the mapped button. When I loaded a profile to test it. all the buttons are now grayed out, and can't get them to come back up. Not sure why.

Edited by AH_Olds_

Update:

Found a post in the DCS forum where someone was having the same issue. They stated that you need to open all CH devices, and make sure that the USB sleep box is unchecked. Found more than I thought I had. Also found more devices than there should have been (showed a single throttle twice). Actually had it working, and was able to get into the calibration screen, which also showed two devices (I had gone through the setup where it asks to combine contollers. I think that was a mistake). Buttons were not grayed out, either. After I hit rescan, the problem came up again. Buttons grayed out, and the program crashed. I think I will do a reinstall of the software tonight, and see if I have any luck.

Maybe if I can solve this, it might save someone else a headache. I think this is a Windows 10 issue.

Thank you! Great tutorial. I got the throttle calibrated correctly, and understand a bit more about creating a map, but still lots to learn.

Unfortunately, it still wants to crash after I load a map. All mode buttons grayed out. If I hit calibrate after that, the program locks up. Only way to get it back is to reboot.

Hello,

If you really want to program your device you could try :

https://whitemagic.github.io/JoystickGremlin/

CHmanager is a great tool for CH hotas. Unfortunatly it has not evolved as the hardware (robust one but a little bit outdated).

I am sad that CH has not renewed her devices.

Have fun.

Thanks for the link. If I install this (or any other programming software for the throttle), do I have to uninstall CH Manager first?

I found how to load a profile, but when I bring up the profile, the mode buttons become unusable (grayed out). Still having the same lockup problem as before, and the profile won't work in the game.

"If I install this (or any other programming software for the throttle), do I have to uninstall CH Manager first? "

No. You can even use both together (but not on the same device - at least for the moment).

CH manager is not mandatory to use your CH-throttle (but then you only have dx-buttons).

What do you mean by profile  ? Is that a CH map ?

Yes, I found this map file on mission for today. I did try my own map profile just to test, but no luck there either.

I could just keep the CH manager for the calibration (shouldn't have to pull it up) and run the other one. Wouldn't that work?

Hello,

It is better to define your own map. You will get used to CH manager. If you want to use CH manager.

Better is to use Joystick Gremlin (or another stick programming software). On my system ,I kept CHmanager for calibrating purpose.

You can keep CH manager with any other program. No problem.

Have fun

Can you use the multiple modes on the throttle (mode i, 2, etc.) with Joystick, Gremlin?

Posted (edited)

I think this is a Windows 10 issue.

Developer of this keymapper (Manager) retired some time ago, hence the program was not updated to follow Windows changes, resulting that some user are able to use in this OS, some not.

The suggest Joystick Gremlin (an advantage of this soft is that you can include other brand stick in the same profile of throttle) may have similar issues in Windows10/64 - some Win 10/64 users are not able to install VJoy drivers, used by Joystick Gremlin for stick virtualization.

1 hour ago, AH_Olds_ said:

Can you use the multiple modes on the throttle (mode i, 2, etc.) with Joystick, Gremlin?

Yes, you can have multiple "modes" in Joystick Gremlin.

In CH PRO throttle is viable up to 3 "modes", due the 3 indicating LED's (but not practical in VR), in practice 2 "modes" is less confusing.

Edited by Sokol1

Posted (edited)

Did some more testing on Control Manager. Tried running in compatibility mode for Win 7, and it actually worked for about 5 min. Loaded map, and was able to use the buttons. At one point I tried doing that and programming a function, and then it stopped again. I looked at Device Manager, and the devices listed for Pro Throttle had changed. One of them was missing. I rebooted and it came back. Here is what shows in Device Manager when the program is running correctly:

image.png.2d1247e67d78287594c4ee28179f7d62.png

After I run the program, and the buttons gray out, this is what I get:

image.jpeg.af8859e143b0f3947cad95b80828aa6b.jpeg

Trying to figure out why the device disappears after the problem happens. It's like Windows 10 just shuts it off. I have gone through every item in the list to make sure the box about turning off devices is unchecked.

I can run a different program, but I would like to figure this out. It might save someone else some problems.

Edited by AH_Olds_

On 4/27/2019 at 1:49 PM, AH_Olds_ said:

Hello,

You can define several modes with JG (like Sokol said). But this is not the CH modes (switched with one button on CH Hotas), so leds are not changing as per CH manager.

On former (now closed) CH Hangar, there was a thread on Windows 10 and CH manager. There was a lot of problems for some owners and none for others.

Be Happy.

Posted (edited)

Had a little more success getting program to run. Actually was able to get the buttons to work for a while, but it still tends to kick out from time to time. Here's another strange issue. Where above, it shows the extra device as CH Pro Throttle USB, it now shows it as Device 1.

CH device3.JPG

After the buttons grayed out, it disappeared.

I have installed a powered USB hub, and I think that may be helping. but this software seems to be very finicky as to how long you have to wait to load it. Even so, it can still kick out even if you wait.

I did add the CM start command to the Startup folder. I also have a squadmate who knows the program, so maybe we can get this figured out.

Edited by AH_Olds_

Posted (edited)

Looks like Windows are disconnecting and connecting throttle, what give then a new ID, so the mapped buttons stop work.

Try in device manager disable  "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power“ for CH Products tree.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/33087-enabling-ch-products-joystick-control-manager-in-windows-10/

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/usb-keep-disconnecting-and-reconnecting-in-windows-10

Edited by Sokol1

Posted (edited)

Ok, tried a reinstall of the Asmedia drivers for this board, and made sure that none of the devices were set to turn off the device. I'm starting to have some better success now since I did the reinstall. I have been waiting a few minutes to let the software load. I have also set the CM Start command to run at startup. Have been able to run the program and load a map, then use the buttons without the buttons becoming grayed out. So far so good. I will keep testing this and see if the fix holds. Hopefully it will keep working. I will update you as to whether it does or not. Thanks for your help!

Edited by AH_Olds_

Contacted CH to see if they had a solution for this. They told me that the software was no longer supported under WIndows 10, but they had a workaround they could send me. The workaround basically said to run the troubleshooter each time you load the program. That seemed like a bit much to have to do that everytime. Even after doing this, I still had trouble with it. I tried another solution, Vjoy and Joystick Gremlin.

Installed Vjoy and configured it, but could not get the forces to work correctly on the MSFFB2 stick. After working with it, I added a second Vjoy device. For some reason after that the forces started working on the stick (shake and shudder in a stall). I'm not sure how or why it worked, but it did.

Working with Joystick Gremlin, trying to figure out how to program it. I would like to figure out how I can get extra modes programmed (changing modes like in CH program manager). I'll keep working on it.

Thanks for the links. Tried to do some programming, but am still learning what commands I need to have in the settings to make them work (in game). Do you know where I could find a profile for the CH Pro Throttle? That might give me a better idea how to set it up correctly.

Thanks for the map. I reinstalled CH control manager, and had it working for a while. I was able to program a function or two, and was starting to understand the program more. Yesterday, it started giving me problems again. It is now at the point where Windows 10 sees the throttle as Control Manager Device 1, and the throttle does not work in the game. Going to uninstall and see if I can get it working again.

Tried Vjoy and Joystick Gremlin, but it seems a bit complicated (probably just me). I have uninstalled Vjoy for now, and may try JoytoKey to see if it works any better. If I could get extra functions to work in BOX (like using a shift key), I would just do that. Unfortunately, I don't think the game sees that.

I'll get this figured out at some point. Thanks again. I will keep you posted.

Posted (edited)

JoyToKey maybe are not solution for IL-2:GB, becase this game  need "delay" between keys press, if "delay" is not used, e.g. send LCtrl+F through JoyTokey the game understand LCtrl+F and F.

JoyToKey don't have this delay function. If you have the registered version ($10) ask their developer for add this "delay" (pause) function, maybe are possible, previously he add support for 128 buttons by player request, for support  IL-2GB, DCS World, Elite Dangerous.

XPadder ($10) has delay (pause) function, but their interface is a bit awkward.

If I could get extra functions to work in BOX (like using a shift key), I would just do that. Unfortunately, I don't think the game sees that.

In IL-2:GB (Bo'X) you can use one joystick button as modifier for other buttons - a kind of "shift", but for some reason (probable for don't "scare new players with complex assignments") this was not include in Keymap interface. Is need add the button manually editing the "current.action" file in Input folder.

Same issue happens with RSMapper, that too don't have delay function.

SVMapper work OK, setting an delay of1 between LCtrl and F. Always run as administrator and set the option "Continous" as "Yes".

Anyway, only with joystick with "pinky button (under little finger) is practical for use as "shift".

Use a button in joystick base require use left hand, what if you use standalone throttle became little practical.

Use button in other brand throttle as "shift" require create a virtual device with Vjoy+Joystick Gremlin.

Basic "4 buttons + HAT" grips - MSFFB2, T.16000M, Logitech 3D PRO... don't have button under little finger. But with little DIY is easy add one.

Edited by Sokol1

Thanks for the tip on JoytoKey. As for a button to use for a shift key, the button furthest to the left is under my second to the last finger on my throttle. That would work great for me. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about modifying the folder.

It would be nice if you could get the game to recognize the "mode" function, so you could just press the button and set up other functions. Since apparently it does not, maybe the SVmapper might be the solution. Can you tell me more about this?

This "mode" button of CH PRO Throttle press a DX button, like their other buttons?

If yes, you can use then as kind of  "shift"  with SVMapper functions "Profile On Press" and "Profile On Release".

For example, the button selected to be shift" is button is # 20.

Then you create a SVMapper "profile1", in what other joy buttons press given keys and set that when button #20 is pressed load 'profile2".

Then create a "profile2" - with other joy buttons (all or some) pressing keys different than in "profile1, and there set that when button # 20 is released load "profile1".

E.g. In "profile1" joy button #1 press A and in "profile2" joy button #1 press B.

"Profile1" is the default profile, in what when you press joy button # 1 send A,

then when you press and hold joy button #20 "profile2" is loaded and now joy button #1 send B,

when you release joy button # 20 "profile1" is loaded again.

In that way you can  have two use in selected buttons or all if want. 

Could use one button as sequential "mode selector": press once load "profile2", press again load "profile3", press again load "profile1" and start again.

In theory can combine this "mode selector" with "shift" but will be very confusing create the profiles.

On 5/10/2019 at 12:11 PM, AH_Olds_ said:

sees the throttle as Control Manager Device 1

Hello,

Control Manager Device x appears when CH manager is running (and remaps devices to Control Manager Device).

Have fun (even in these "difficult" moments.

Thanks for the info on SVmapper. I have the program downloaded, and am working with it to see how to do this.

As for Control Manager, I would use it if it did not seem to start having problems the day after I installed it. Wish I could figure out a fix for that...till then, I will see if I can make another program work.

Thanks for all your help! WIll keep you posted.

One thing I noticed about what buttons are pushed when you use the mode switch on the throttle. For the first mode, it uses button 13 and 17; second, 13 and 18, third, 13 and 19. Not sure how you would make this work properly to change modes in SVmapper. Any ideas?

I found a post that VictorUS had written in 2016 about assigning keyboard commands.

BoS works strangely with modifiers. For example. I've mapped a button to Shift+a (I use VKBDevConfig.exe for Njoy32). In BoS Settings - Key Mapping I select function and press this button. I see a!!! Press Retry button (keep button pressed) and see my Shift+a(((

If I press this button in MS Word I see A (shift+a). Event Tester of Thrustmaster shows the same (A) event.

I've found workaround for BoS. In my configuration utility I map button to a key with desired modifiers. But in Settings - Key mapping to assign my button to necessary function I press keyboard sequence USING KEYBOARD, not joystick button. 

It works. Try.

Edited May 13, 2016 by VictorUs

I did a test using Discord, to see if I could just use the Alt key to transmit. Prior to this, when I used the throttle to assign the Alt key, and had the button assigned to Button 14 on the throttle, it would show up as Gamepad13 + Alt (not sure why it is not Gamepad 14). When I used just the keyboard to assign Alt to Discord, and then keyed the button, Alt worked, just as he said. That enables me to use both the throttle in game, and the keyboard if I am not in the game.

So, if I am assigning commands in the game, I should just use the keyboard commands only, and assign the same commands to the throttle. That way, there won't be any extra commands that might keep it from working. Thanks to VictorUS for the solution.

I found out some other things, also. If you are running Discord, you can have the screen up, or have it minimized, and the key will still work. If you minimize this in Teamspeak, the key does not work all the time (have seen it work when you are running Discord, and have just finished working with it. If you click out of it, it stops.)

BTW, the solution of assigning the keyboard command works for Teamspeak, also.

Going to work on getting a shift key set up tonight. I did have a Ctrl key bound to one button, for mapped key on release. Press it, and you get Ctrl. Release and it goes back to what it is assigned to. I hope to finally get this working...need to get some stick time in 😊.