StaB/Tomio_VR***

HOW to shoot down PE-2 / IL-2 in one burst !

Posted (edited)

Obvious to few but not to the majority therefore i'm sharing this tip on how to down a Pe-2...

This plane as everyone knows is a hell to shoot down. Strong and very fast combined with hum... AI gunners

I consider myself that everytime, a russian side player takes a Pe-2, you can delete one german fighter because it takes more than one fighter on average to down the Peshka.

The weak point of those two planes is THE TAIL.

You just need to destroy 2 of the orange parts in the image below to shoot down it.

FEW HITS is needed of course and if you succeed, you will know it immediately because you will notice the missing parts and the Pe-2 will start a 45° degree dive straight to the ground.

If you don't manage to down the Pe-2 in one pass, keep trying as this part get weaker every time and doesn't sustain a lot of damage unlike wings.

pe211.jpg

As everyone knows, this plane can sustain huge damage if you hit a bit everywhere therefore it is essential to focus on something especially with few guys in comms

I tried to hit on one engine, then cockpit but the best results were achieved when focusing on tail.

Unless you kill the pilot which is harder (much smaller zone to aim), this is the best way because if you light fire, it still can fly one minute and drop his bombs if over targets

Note that you won't hit the tail part from straight behind as needed because you need some angle to clearly see the stabilizer surface when firing.

The more angle you have, the better it is

For this reason, you may not be able sometime to hit this part if the Pe-2 is flying too low as you can't go under him

Also, the best moment to attack a Pe-2 already bombing is right after his drop when it turns for a second pass and show itself his tail to you.

On this moment, the AI gunner isn't efficient as usual but for very few seconds.

While slower and somewhat easier to down, it works as well with the Il-2 and is essential to use if you have only one cannon (like the 15mm on 109 F2)

For training, i suggest to practice with Il-2 model 1941 or 1942 without gunner but without shooting from right behind as you won't be able to do so when there will be a rear gunner

il211.jpg

Edited by StaB/Tomio_VR***
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

Long story short....  The tail parts - especially the elevators, are the most exposed, weakest , yet most vital part of any plane. 

Edited by =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ

17 minutes ago, =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ said:

Long story short....  The tail parts - especially the elevators, are the most exposed, weakest , yet most vital part of any plane. 

Yep like engine and pilot...

but in case of Pe-2, engines and cockpit seems heavily armored which i understand for an Il-2 but not for a Pe-2

3 hours ago, StaB/Tomio_VR*** said:

Yep like engine and pilot...

but in case of Pe-2, engines and cockpit seems heavily armored which i understand for an Il-2 but not for a Pe-2

Oh, I've been PK'd and set on fire by the very first bullet of a 2 second burst many more times than Axis players are prone to believe...

8 hours ago, =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ said:

Oh, I've been PK'd and set on fire by the very first bullet of a 2 second burst many more times than Axis players are prone to believe...

I get wounded often in the Pe-2 (never been Pk'd, but then I rarely get Pk'd in fighters at all either, unless my aircraft is already in pieces). I have NEVER made it home in a Pe-2 after encountering enemy fighters. Not once. The best I've managed is to crash land in friendly territory. The last time I was shot down a single pass set my engine on fire. At that point, I was dead, but the guy who attacked me kept shooting me up from my 6, essentially beating a dead horse and hanging around for my gunners to shoot him (spoiler alert: they missed, so much for OP gunners). 

Here's a tip for axis pilots: get one solid burst into one engine on a Pe-2 and he is toast. The Pe-2 can't easily stay aloft on one engine. Let him wander off to die. Unless you're really devoted to making sure he's actually dead-dead there's no point risking the gunner's vengeance in continuing your attack once the engine is streaming coolant or black smoke. The engine WILL seize eventually, he'll crash, and you'll get the kill. I guess people really want to see a catastrophic kill but dead is dead IMO. 

• Like 1

Pepper the engines or better the tail. If you have it just use a 30mm mk 108 instead as that dispatches them nearly every time in one pass.

As a regular pilot of the PE-2, I can say it IS a tough plane, but like Mobile BBQ and RedKestrel say... once a critical part is hit, it's all over. I am sometimes able to get back to friendly lines and crash land after an encounter with Axis fighters - but I very, very rarely get all the way home once damaged.

So to the Axis fighters, it's isn't quite as unfavourable as it may first appear taking on a PE-2.

Kind Regards,

MDS1