Sign in to follow this  
JgonRedcorn

Another Joystick Thread! Extension Setup

I really would like to get a nice setup going to move on from this t16000 full setup I have.

First thing would be getting a joystick that doesn't feel like a toy.

What would be the cheapest option to get a deskmount, joystick base and an extended grip going? Virpil?

Nothing crazy like floor mounted or anything just want a small extended joystick I can mount centrally on my desk. What would a setup like this cost? 400-500 dollars? Was thinking maybe just grab a warthog, as I get a nice new throttle as well for about 500 bucks and can add an extension to that base. If I am correct? At some point I'd like to replace the entire setup with new rudder pedals, throttle and joystick. I play flightsims far too much to be running subpar equipment. Hell I've spent more on VR goggles than my flight equipment ten fold... Which makes me quite sad. The t16000 isn't bad but the throttle and pedals are very cheaply made, I don't see them lasting much longer I am already getting slight issues with the throttle at full and not getting 100% out of it.

I really like those german looking grips from VKB.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted (edited)

Virpil would probably be the best and less expensive set based on your description. They have the base, grip, extension, and deskmount all available.

Their new T-50 Base is looking nice , and their new CM2 grip looks pretty good as well.

https://forum.virpil.com/index.php?/topic/377-unveiling-the-long-awaited-vpc-mongoost-50-flightstick-base-successor/

VKB is another great setup, I love mine, but they do not have their own deskmount and a Monster Tech Mount can get pricey. Plus VKB can be a longer wait to try and get one.

I have both Virpil and VKB setups, both are very good.

Edited by dburne

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

What would be the cheapest option to get a deskmount, joystick base and an extended grip going? Virpil?

The cheapest option for have an extended joystick is get Warthog (stick only) + extension (from VirPil, MFG, SAHAJ...) + deskmount from Monstertech, VirPil or Foxx.  The "cheapest", no the "best" option. ;) 

VPC (VirPil) stick will cost a bit more, as well VKB (when available in stock).

Edited by Sokol1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Sokol1 said:

The cheapest option for have an extended joystick is get Warthog (stick only) + extension (from VirPil, MFG, SAHAJ...) + deskmount from Monstertech, VirPil or Foxx.  The "cheapest", no the "best" option. ;) 

VPC (VirPil) stick will cost a bit more, as well VKB (when available in stock).

Does the desk mount from virpil work with the warthog?

7 hours ago, dburne said:

Virpil would probably be the best and less expensive set based on your description. They have the base, grip, extension, and deskmount all available.

Their new T-50 Base is looking nice , and their new CM2 grip looks pretty good as well.

https://forum.virpil.com/index.php?/topic/377-unveiling-the-long-awaited-vpc-mongoost-50-flightstick-base-successor/

VKB is another great setup, I love mine, but they do not have their own deskmount and a Monster Tech Mount can get pricey. Plus VKB can be a longer wait to try and get one.

Dang that thing is not cheap, over 300 just for the base!

Seems the warbrd isn't made for extensions, so the 50 is the only one that works well with them, so looking at like 600 or more just for the m50 a grip and the desk mount, that's bonkers.

The warthogs looking better every second. 500 bucks gets you a great stick a kick butt throttle and you can add extensions to it. Does the warthog work with virpil mounts?

Edited by JonRedcorn

As a previous owner of the Warthog stick and current user of the Warthog throttle, T16000 stick/throttle, i'd just like to say that the Warthog sticck doesn't bring anything to upstage the T16000 stick other than lessening the 'toy' feel, i actually fly better using the T16000 as it isn't so heavy...or as cold in winter. I do like the Warthog throttle mind you, but it does seem to be getting progressively 'looser' over time and doesn't exactly overwhelm me with confidence in it's potential longevity.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

Does the desk mount from virpil work with the warthog?

Dang that thing is not cheap, over 300 just for the base!

Seems the warbrd isn't made for extensions, so the 50 is the only one that works well with them, so looking at like 600 or more just for the m50 a grip and the desk mount, that's bonkers.

The warthogs looking better every second. 500 bucks gets you a great stick a kick butt throttle and you can add extensions to it. Does the warthog work with virpil mounts?

Yes Virpil has an adapter plate to fit the Warthog stick to their desk-mount.  They show it in stock.

https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-desk-mount-adapter-warbrd-base.html

And their extensions will work with the Warthog stick as well.

https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-flightstick-extension.html

I used the Warthog stick with extension center mounted for some time before upgrading to what I have now. It did pretty well for me.

My Warthog stick and throttle have had seriously extensive use over the years I've had them and I've seen absolutely zero degradation in their performance. The "loose" operation of the throttle, is that not just the friction dial needing some adjustment?

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Uffz-Prien said:

My Warthog stick and throttle have had seriously extensive use over the years I've had them and I've seen absolutely zero degradation in their performance. The "loose" operation of the throttle, is that not just the friction dial needing some adjustment?

The friction adjuster makes no difference, apparently its due to degradation of the rubber that's used as a dampener in the throttle assembly.

On 4/20/2019 at 8:25 AM, dburne said:

I couldn't let you outdo me picked up a gunfighter pro and mcg grip off a guy, just need a mount now. 460 bucks shipped for the stick. Can't wait. Just need to upgrade the throttle and pedals now. Probably go virpil throttle and crosswinds. Or VKB's new rudder pedals with the toe breaks.

Put ‘Virpil’ on your saved ebay search. They do come up every now and then. I’ve seen a T-50 Mongoos stick and throttle set for $500 buy now. I would have snapped it, even if I already have the stick and throttle,  had I the coins.

Edited by BP_Lizard

2 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

I couldn't let you outdo me picked up a gunfighter pro and mcg grip off a guy, just need a mount now. 460 bucks shipped for the stick. Can't wait. Just need to upgrade the throttle and pedals now. Probably go virpil throttle and crosswinds. Or VKB's new rudder pedals with the toe breaks.

:good:

Nice choice.

Yeah I am considering that new Virpil throttle also.

I have had the Crosswind pedals since Dec 2015, love them.

Just now, dburne said:

:good:

Nice choice.

Yeah I am considering that new Virpil throttle also.

I have had the Crosswind pedals since Dec 2015, love them.

What throttle are you using now?

Can't wait to finally have a proper stick with an extension no less, might go with foxxmounts, hes US based and makes basically the same thing as monstertech, also 2 mounts for 175 shipped instead of one for 175 shipped, can't beat that.

9 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

What throttle are you using now?

Can't wait to finally have a proper stick with an extension no less, might go with foxxmounts, hes US based and makes basically the same thing as monstertech, also 2 mounts for 175 shipped instead of one for 175 shipped, can't beat that.

I am using the Warthog throttle.

Yeah that is a good price on those mounts.