[CV]Biggs

What flight stick do you use??

Biggs" post="8740" timestamp="1359862579"]

Logitech EXTREME 3D PRP

This is the one I went with.   A friend got one and he liked it alot.   Low price and reliable.   Playing Rise of Flight, works well.

Thanks for the replies guys. Keep em coming, its a good reference for guys needing a stick.

Yeah, I went with this one too originally. Logitech sticks are pretty good but it's their quality control that seems to be bad. My brother bought one and it died in 3 months. By contrast, mine was great for about 4 years until one of the potentiometers started producing spiky outputs, making it impossible to control the throttle and the elevators.

I actually really liked the 3D pro, but when mine finally quit, I decided to pick up an x52, which is acceptable but not stellar.

Highly recommend CH pedals, though. I love mine.

I was operating my Messerschmitt with Saitek X-45 and X-52 for almost a decade when I switched to Hotas Warthog this year and I'm actually pretty satisfied.

Then you are just the man I am looking for (and probably others too) 

For two years I've been searching for profiles for my x-45 stick.

The schmit, any and as many plane  profiles you have would be gratefully received.( phily_artorius@hotmail.co.uk )

I have RoF...

If you or anyone could help it would be brilliant.

My sticks..tried logi 3D pro....switched to x-45 which feels good apart from the rudder which is over sensitive on any setting.

Well let's see, I have been a TM guy for about as long as I have been flight simming.

Starting with the FLCS, then to the Cougar, then modded the Cougar with the NXT gimball mod and hall sensors, to now about a year ago, I purchased the newer TM Warthog. Used to use the TM Elite pedals, but upgraded to the Saitek Combat Pedals when I purchased the Warthog. And of course had to update Track IR to version 5.

I have been running this setup a little over a year now, and really like it.

I've been chugging away quite happily with my 7 or 8 year old Saitek Cyborg Evo. It's going to kick the bucket pretty soon, but it was a well spent $30 all those years ago!

Must look into this new-fangled head tracking thing one day, too, I suppose.

You wont regret it ;)

Agreed, do not even think of running BOS without Track IR! :)

I got my first one, back when Pacific Fighters was released , and was astounded. Haven't flown without it since.

Edited by dburnette

Oh Track IR is key. + infinity x infinity to that  

TO me its like keyboard and mouse vs joystick. Once you try you won't go back.

CH pure cane adrenaline. I tried the logitechs, the saiteks, thrustmaster, and over all CH wins

less glitches, and the forums just perusing them, found solutions (my programmer buddy even got it to work in linux) 

software wise its easy install, and setting the calibration is easy. 

also once I calibrated it it stayed for IL-2 (unless I did something like forget to reload it after deleting and reinstall IL-2 for XP clean ups) 

Also its durable, its tough, it works fine with track IR  . . . for some reason some logitech / and saiteks software / drivers would bump out IRQ or some weird conflict (of course some fiddling would get it working like having a order to installing the drivers)

can't tell you how many times it fell, and it still works. Even with kids running and tripping on the USB cable. including a 50 mph drop (don't let a teenage girl pack your flight sim stuff unless her dad is a jumpmaster or an ace pilot) from the free way. Good thing there was no tailgater to crunch time, I don't think CH toughness lasts being run over, but then again neither does the body . . . pro tip: try not to move places too much 

Oh and make sure you computer has enough USB's . . . I've seen some new ones being sold with only 4 USB, and 2 SS ones. Remember your mouse and kb will take 2, and you need more for the goods  . . . 7 is good

THe only jive is its not cheap (CH). But it lasts, I've had it for 5 years and return on investment is better than my retirement (yeah at the ripe old age of 40 it died with the times but not my CH); some dudes in the forum have had theirs for 10 years (granted it was on their older pc they wanted to play classics like MiG Alley or secret weapons of the luftwaffe)

Anycase whatever you choose hope it works out

www.chproducts.com/???

Edited by hiro
  • Upvote 1

Good write up, Hiro.

And I seriously have to look into TrackIR. I just worry that I'll never leave the computer once I get it.

Cockpitsmall_zps1c80bb67.jpg                         MSFFB2 - the only quality FFB stick available.

Wow Quax, that's a nice setup! I've only got my MS FFB2 from ebay yesterday. Could you please provide me with info on how you modded yours?

MAC

Thrustmaster Cougar + Warthog ( Throttle + Stick) + Simped vario pro!

I used Cougar *Nxt II and simped from 2002 to 20010 and Warthog since 2010!

Edited by 335th_GR335th_GRSwaty

Just wanted to add that I bought an X52 throttle to  pair it up with my Combatstick and Im really pleased.I never liked the CH one.

I probably posted this elsewhere in this forum.. but if you are using an X-52 throttle in conjunction with another stick as your main flight stick this is worth a look. The X-52 stick makes an excellent button bay and the stick is modular so the only soldering you may have to do is if you break a wire or decide to use the pots. I connected the connectors from the hall sensors up to pots and just extended the wire a bit and plugged it into the board.  The X-45 was a much harder project because it was not modular.. everything had to be cut, spliced or soldered together but the X-52 was almost like a kit it was so easy. The throttle remained un touched and I just built the button bay around the throttle in both cases. The hardest part was getting the angle right from the top of the stick because I wanted to use the outer shell of the stick to house the X-52 hat module in. The fact that the X-52 has those buttons in the front also called for a different approach.. but it works for me and I have parts to spare so if a board goes or one of the hats heads south.. it is an easy fix.

My modified X-45/X-52

All you will really need is a Dremel tool and a little patience .. and about $10 for pots if you want to use the X & Y axis on the X-52 as sliders.. I decided to use pots and not the hall sensors because they took up less space. IL2,CoD,RoF & DCS all recognize multiple sticks so f you decide to use the X-52 as a button bay you can do it and save a bit of real estate on your desk in the process. I had more than one X-52 stick sitting around so I had bases to spare.   I only use 3 modes on the X-52 out of the 6 modes available and after giving it a bit of thought I have a pretty logically laid out control system that works for me.. This is one reason why clickable pits are a take it or leave it thing with me as long as I have a button I can program but I rarely use my keyboard when flying.

Simon seriously consider getting a set of rudder pedals ... and then you can use the Saitek profiling software to band the rudder rocker switch so that is a switch.. and using it for flaps.. That is the way I had my X-45 set up... I actually liked that rocker switch. You can split any pot on the Saitek sticks into bands.. and then set the bands to keystrokes.. I had my rocker set at 20/60/20 (a percentage of the band.. you can set it to what you want as long as it adds up to 100% of the band.. 20/60/20 was best for isolating each end of the pot for spikes..)  .. the 60 was set as a null meaning it did nothing .. and one 20 was set to F the other to V. The Saitek rudder pedals are great.. I liked them better than the CH ones because they have a wider stance.. See this review @ SHQ as far as the pedals go..   The X-52 is definitely an easier undertaking if you are considering modding the stick but if you have the patience and the right tools the X-45 can be a good way to go too .. but once a board goes you are done.. That's why I went with an X-52.. I sold my spare X-45 to a squaddie.. and when a board died on mine I had no spare. The X-52 is so much easier to do something like that with.. and with my current setup I can either have flaps on a slider or flaps on a button.. I prefer flaps on a button.. at least for IL2 .. less likely to jam them.. Hmm ..  :rolleyes: perhaps I will try to work some detents into my stick for the slider.. :rolleyes:

Good write up, Hiro.

And I seriously have to look into TrackIR. I just worry that I'll never leave the computer once I get it.

You will not regret it one bit. It is one of the best investments any simme can make. No moving parts.. lasts forever. I have a 4. I broke the feet so I have it mounted on my monitor with two sided tape and the software set to 180 degrees since it is upside down.

We'd call that the 'old no.8 fencing wire' approach in NZ.

I know I should get one, they don't even cost that much.

Not sure what it would cost where you are bit it adds so much to the experience.. If you work hard. and you sim more than a few hours a week it is well worth it..

http://www.paccus.com/ 

Amazingly, no testing on any sim web so far, even when the stick is perfectly available.  :sleep:

AA_Engadin

At 2,247.00 Euros ($2887.39) there won't be any any time soon..

I use a Logitech G940 joystick, throttle and pedals. never had any complains about this ensemble. It works fine with force feedback.

:cool:

I have one of these systems too. I get the same probs others have with the throttle not settling steady sometimes. However, I have tried and owned others and if you shop around you can pick the whole system up at a good price. Having 5 sliders/wheels allows for such things as aileron, rudder, elevator trims, radiator, prop pitch etc. The profiling software is excellent and the force feedback is fantastic. I like the way the stick responds when flying the aircraft close to stall in il-2 for instance.

Mine was ?

At 2,247.00 Euros ($2887.39) there won't be any any time soon..

But, Bearcat, they'd hand one over them for free, just for testing purposes, I guess, naturally  :happy: . Not doing so can only bring to our minds - to mine at least - a scaring but sort word: bug. Otherwise, sincerely, I can't imagine any other reason for them to keep from doing it. I'll tell you one thing: I confess I could be a potential customer of their FFB stick - BTW, if you check the Paccus web, they have removed the non-FFB joystick from the shop window  - as I am a FFB addict. My new house can wait - fist thing first  :lol:  - but to get a first hand idea from the way Hawk - the FFB stick's name - works I should have to fly to Amsterdam  :wacko:  given there is no other trustworthy source of info but Paccu's web. And it would mean to add to the an already hardly affordable cost.

AA_Engadin

Thrustmaster Warthog, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals

+1 m8 same here

http://www.paccus.com/

Amazingly, no testing on any sim web so far, even when the stick is perfectly available.  :sleep:

AA_Engadin

Rofl that much for a big silver dildo  :lol:

I Have a number of them :)

Logitech G940 system

Thrustmaster WH

Saitek throttle quadrants

Thrustmaster MFD's

I use different depending on the game i play and I use the G940 pedals hooked up to a 

control board when I use the Warthog :) but I'm planning on buying the new nice pedals 

a ED forum member has designed and are selling.

Actually I use a X52Pro, pedals and TiR4 but the HOTAS is really disappointing.

Pot-meters sometimes reset inflight, after I changed my rig (MoBo and CPU) the profiler does not work anymore (I can create a profile but keys are not working), sometimes I got BSDs and finally I have this:

Saitek clearly will not fix this problem. 

Before I had a normal X52 and it was way better: the Pro version is of lower quality.

Probably I'm going to buy a CH product even if their style is a bit too much vintage.

Edited by 6S.Manu

I had a problem with the X52Pro. The entire stick would randomly reset, and it was whenever I moved the Saitek Pro Pedals. Isolated it down to drawing too much power with the TrackIr. Moved each to different USB hubs (you have to verify that they are on different hubs through device manager, not just a slot over) and the resetting went away. I also turned down the LEDs and MFD to draw less power. There are also newer drivers out, released in the past two months.

I don't currently use the profiler, so no advice on that one.

Also, X52Pro doesn't like USB3.0 hubs. Had to completely remove the USB3.0 drivers and disable it in the BIOS, otherwise it was just mayhem on my system.

Logitech EXTREME 3D PRO

Yup. +100. Couldn't agree more. Got one in the garage going spare if you want it (only because I got a G940 thingy). Let me know by pm if you like.

Edited by Dutch

in the past ten years i have flown with a MSFF2 (owned 3)

i tried afterwards an X52pro, but was missing the precission and the FF

So finaly i bought a used G940 setup, and i am quite happy with it, because its precission is great and you have tons of buttons and switches.

cheers

Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X Flight Stick

This brought back some memories - was my second stick.  It was a big jump at the time going to a HOTAS setup.  Would recommend this stick for anyone looking to get into flight simming on the cheap - it does have a lot of buttons (but not quite enough if your serious)

Next stick was X-52 which I still use the throttle for.  Good price for a quality stick with nice spring steup. The fancy screen just garbles out characters these days when you load profiles and push buttons.  It was more use for FSX anyway as you dont really have time to look at the screen when dogfighting.

I own an MSFFB 2 now.  It was so good a bought a spare for a rainy day which sits up in my loft (not for sale Farber)

CH Fighterstick, CH pedals, and a Saitek throttle quad, all work great. I do find the Fighterstick a bit awkward though, as it is quite big. I also have a Logitech attack 3 as a spare, had it several years and still works just fine!

I have just purchased X52 Pro - might have gone CH but I have small hands and I heard CH joysticks are HUGE. I hope it will feel good enough, I sold my old Logitech 3D Pro for few euros because it had lost it's precision a long time ago. I couldn't aim at all because it had large deadzone and strange behavior in all it's axis. One thing I noticed when looking for new joystick is that too many are made to look "cool" and "scifi", and to my eye they look horrible. Lots of cheap plastic and leds. Of course the X52 Pro has them also but it looks almost professional, with it's dark colour scheme. Only thing that really matters is how the stick will fit into hand and the quality of all components, but I guess terrible looks sell better.

Just look at this:

fly5.png

I wouldn't put that on my table even if Saitek paid me.  :o:

Had a 3D that ultimately suffered a severe accident. Replaced it on the spot with an Attack3. A while ago acquired a full X52Pro ( and gave away my Attack3 to a buddy who just caught interest in air combat ) and amassing money for the pedals setup.

What definitely attracted me for the Saitek, although the quality versus price weighted a bit, was the customization. Wrist custom elevation, easy to access the inner works and a nice profiler.

Eventually will upgrade in the future but for a scrub like me with a bit of money on the side why not.

Note: There are some used throttle modules selling separate on ebay and similar ( a buddy of mine got one X52 regular throttle module for $10 on a pawn shop ). I'd suggest anyone with only the stick and no money to upgrade at least get one.

Edited by Hethwill

Used to use Logitech joysticks, the old Force 3D wingman which got broken and then I got a Force 3D pro wich was all over the place (horrible dead zones and spring) so I got myself a used MSFFB2 and haven't looked back since.

I guess I'll be getting some pedals and throttle when I get to play this game, but so far twist has worked pretty well in RoF. 

I'm using a modded Warthog stick (stock spring was to heavy), a warthog throttle, and CH Pedals. 

Edited by 5./JG27Ziegler

Use a X52 vanila with CH Pro Pedals and TIR4