Jump to content
Nibbio

Exorcist snap view in VR...

Recommended Posts

Hello, I tried again to make this thing working, but I'm not able to have the rotation working for IL2.

There is no turn left or turn right option to map when I try do define the mapping for IL2. What am I doing wrong ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2020 at 9:53 PM, c6_lefuneste said:

Hello, I tried again to make this thing working, but I'm not able to have the rotation working for IL2.

There is no turn left or turn right option to map when I try do define the mapping for IL2. What am I doing wrong ?

 

@Lefuneste:  do not map keys for IL2 ´, You have to do it for OpenVR Advanced Settings, see below:

 

 

well, i did a bit more detailed "how to"

it works flawlessly, both in IL2 & DCS; I use only two buttons from OpenVR Advanced Settings - 180 Snap View.

 

First thing:  it has nothing to do with IL2, nor DCS nor any other game - all the setting is done in SteamVR and OpenVR Advanced Settings (OVRAS)!!!

 

my settings in OVRAS:

 

image.png.57cd86028b3ef084dad97c21a024b81f.png

 

 

at SteamVR:

- the most tricky part (at least for me) was to find where and how to setup these buttons in in SteamVR:

 

Important!  - this must be done for the right application, nor IL2 nor DCS but OpenVR Advanced Settings.  

 

I could not to find it for a while, as it is named "Advanced Settings" only and nothing more

Steam VR Settings menu looks like this, recommend to click "SHOW" in Advanced Settings (bottom left) then You can see purple option "SHOW OLD BINDING UI"  - click it (note, this is not OpenVR Advanced Settings, it is just the same name for  more options in Steam VR settings)

 

image.png.adfcc25d75a7a47b217a73b733de77f4.png

 

now one can see list of apps, the right one is at the bottom of this picture:

 

image.png.fe236b42535a10596b3dc9697f0eb85b.png

 

 

 

after clicking "Advanced Settings",  one can see something like this:

 

image.png.a14357c23dbdf9f0d43153d1fe262d37.png

 

choose "Create new Binding"

 

then you can bind your controller (I use x-box gamepad)

  Snap-Turn Left and Snap-Turn Right mapped to Pad buttons on gamepad, after some clicking,  it should look exactly like this:

(yes, only one button is necessairy in this case, as 180 turn left or right is the same)

 

image.png.ce10e6517191c679e21b7b9b44302a25.png

 

save it a that is all!  🙂

 

well, for DCS was also necessairy to check "Enable Motion When in Seated Mode (Experimental)" under OVRAS setting menu

 

I did this settings only once, few monts ago and it works, survived all updates..

I use only these two buttons mapped to "SnapView" and angle set to 180 deg;  combined with Lefuneste´s 3Dmigoto mod zoom and "recenter" button from game on the same x-bx gamepad

 

hope it helped 🙂

 

PS: I use both SteamVR and WMR beta and OpenVR Advanced setting the last version- 4.0.1.

 

https://github.com/OpenVR-Advanced-Settings/OpenVR-AdvancedSettings/releases

https://github.com/OpenVR-Advanced-Settings/OpenVR-AdvancedSettings

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by wju
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried that yesterday, 1 hour in berloga. It shows everything, and it is great. First I tried 180deg turn view, and later 90deg snap turn left and right. The second option is better to me (It is more natural to turn head half way right + add 90deg right to see your six, than flying instant backwards with 180).

 

But it is not perfect; every time with each press, we recenter our position - not only in angle, but also your 6dof position in cockpit. That means I can easy check my 6, but when I switch back, often I am not behind my sight / gunpoint. Then I have to recenter myself again.

I wish that was more like Lefunestes turn view, but always visible.

 

Edited by Brzi_Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Brzi_Joe said:

...But it is not perfect; every time with each press, we recenter our position - not only in angle, but also your 6dof position in cockpit. That means I can easy check my 6, but when I switch back, often I am not behind my sight / gunpoint. Then I have to recenter myself again.

I wish that was more like Lefunestes turn view, but always visible.

 

 

yep, that is true, recenter button is the must, when using AS;  Lefuneste´s check-6 is much more comfortable from this point of view;

on the other hand - this utility works in DCS too...

and I use it also to reduce brightness, as Reverb is too bright for me; unfortunatelly this brightness slider cannot be mapped to controller

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wju said:

 

yep, that is true, recenter button is the must, when using AS;  Lefuneste´s check-6 is much more comfortable from this point of view;

on the other hand - this utility works in DCS too...

and I use it also to reduce brightness, as Reverb is too bright for me; unfortunatelly this brightness slider cannot be mapped to controller

 

You can also use the 3dmigoto mod to reduce brightness, and map it to a key.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, c6_lefuneste said:

You can also use the 3dmigoto mod to reduce brightness, and map it to a key.

 👍  yes, I am aware of this, I combine them both

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, many thanks @wju with your doc I made it works with Driver4VR and can now rotate the POV by pressing "z" or "x" key !

So it was very easy to use thrustmaster TARGET tool to map these key to my joystick. It will be the same with Joy2key, for people who use it.

I have now 45° rotation instant snap view without any glitches mapped to my joystick button.

I need to test in flight condition and write here how to configure driver4VR. It's too late now, I'll do that when I can.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, horsky said:

Is it doable somehow using open composite or steamVR is required?

It is relying on openvr advanced setting and driver4vr is also linked to steamvr. So, no steamvr, no snapview.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2020 at 8:00 AM, horsky said:

Is it doable somehow using open composite or steamVR is required?

 

It might be worth asking if the OpenComposite developers would consider a keybind for snap rotation. They're nice people, they might. I don't particularly want to go back to SteamVR just for this feature, but it might be worth it.

 

On 2/1/2020 at 10:18 AM, c6_lefuneste said:

It is relying on openvr advanced setting and driver4vr is also linked to steamvr. So, no steamvr, no snapview.

 

Thank you for the guide, Lefuneste. It's very detailed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

It might be worth asking if the OpenComposite developers would consider a keybind for snap rotation. They're nice people, they might. I don't particularly want to go back to SteamVR just for this feature, but it might be worth it.

 

Im with you here, getting so much better performance with open composite than steamVR, can live without snapview, but would sure as hell appreciate relief in the neck 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2020 at 5:47 PM, wju said:

 

 

well, i did a bit more detailed "how to"

it works flawlessly, both in IL2 & DCS; I use only two buttons from OpenVR Advanced Settings - 180 Snap View.

 

 

 

I cant thank you enough Wju. I followed your detailed instructions and its working amazing with my HP Reverb. 😊 😎 I bought the Driver4VR license instantly after I could see it worked. 

 

Took me a little time to get used to VR coming from TrackIR, but I REALLY enjoy my HP Reverb for IL2 now.  I can highly recommend it for those who wants to get into VR. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, 19te.Deafbee said:

 

I cant thank you enough Wju. I followed your detailed instructions and its working amazing with my HP Reverb. 😊 😎 I bought the Driver4VR license instantly after I could see it worked. 

 

Took me a little time to get used to VR coming from TrackIR, but I REALLY enjoy my HP Reverb for IL2 now.  I can highly recommend it for those who wants to get into VR. 

 

 

 

I am glad, it helped. 🙂
just tell me, what is this Driver4VR for? Is it to map controllers buttons to hotas?

I do not use it yet...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, 19te.Deafbee said:

 

I cant thank you enough Wju. I followed your detailed instructions and its working amazing with my HP Reverb. 😊 😎 I bought the Driver4VR license instantly after I could see it worked. 

 

Took me a little time to get used to VR coming from TrackIR, but I REALLY enjoy my HP Reverb for IL2 now.  I can highly recommend it for those who wants to get into VR. 

 

 

So it's work with button on joystick  ? No need to use vr controller ?

Edited by 1PL-Husar-1Esk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wju said:

 

I am glad, it helped. 🙂
just tell me, what is this Driver4VR for? Is it to map controllers buttons to hotas?

I do not use it yet...

 

 

As I understand  the Driver4VR program simulate controllers and makes a connection between the keyboard and your VR.  Lastly I use Joy2key mapping the keyboard key (In my case Z) to rotate 180 degress in VR.  

Edited by 19te.Deafbee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 19te.Deafbee said:

 

As I understand it  the Driver4VR program simulate controllers and makes a connection between the keyboard and your VR.  Lastly I use Joy2key mapping the keyboard key (In my case Z) to rotate 180 degress in VR.  

I see, I did it the most simple way, i.e. binded desired buttons to gamepad, then there is no need to use driver4vr;

- the next step will be to solder wires into gamepad and mount buttons directly onto cockpit chair 😉

Edited by wju

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

So it's work with button on joystick  ? No need to use vr controller ?

 

Yes it works with my joystick now. And I don't have the Vive controllers. Just make sure you follow every step.

 

http://www.mediafire.com/file/vj6x6dv0li6i7x4/left_and_right_snap_view_in_VR.pdf/file

 

A way you can test if it works without starting IL2 up everytime, is if you can "snap turn" in the Steam VR room ;) 

6 minutes ago, wju said:

I see, I did it the most simple way, i.e. binded desired buttons to gamepad, then there is no need to use driver4vr;

- the next step will be to solder wires into gamepad and mount buttons directly onto cockpit chair 😉

 

Maybe but I prefer having everything on my Hotas setup. Then I can map it to any button I want with Driver4VR.  Worth every penny in my opinion. 😊 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can confirm driver4vr works flawlessly with joy2key. It does exactly what I want, allowing me to assign keys to my hat switch for left and right. I set up 90 degrees. I can now check six like I used to with track-ir and even keep my eye on someone tailing me without wrecking my neck. Amazing. Thanks to lefuneste for pointing me to this.

Edited by SCG_redcloud111

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I created a dedicated topic for the "how to", because it is a bit burried here and the name of the topic is not so clear...

Edited by c6_lefuneste

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SCG_redcloud111 said:

I can confirm driver4vr works flawlessly with joy2key. It does exactly what I want, allowing me to assign keys to my hat switch for left and right. I set up 90 degrees. I can now check six like I used to with track-ir and even keep my eye on someone tailing me without wrecking my neck. Amazing. Thanks to lefuneste for pointing me to this.

 

Yes same for me. Works perfect with joy2key. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, 19te.Deafbee said:

 

Yes same for me. Works perfect with joy2key. 

Any idea on how to snap back upon release of my POV button in joy2key, that is pressing W when I toggle the POV left, and X when I release the POV button?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, 71st_AH_statuskuo said:

Any idea on how to snap back upon release of my POV button in joy2key, that is pressing W when I toggle the POV left, and X when I release the POV button?

 

Yes that's exactly how I did it.  Select keyboard 2 in the assignment menu, and choose the second from last option (input 1 when the button is released).  It makes the turn initiate on input 2, and the return on input 1.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2020 at 7:17 PM, Dijital_Majik said:

 

Yes that's exactly how I did it.  Select keyboard 2 in the assignment menu, and choose the second from last option (input 1 when the button is released).  It makes the turn initiate on input 2, and the return on input 1.

 

Waw awesome!!  I never thought that joy2key had the option to work on "release".  Thanks so much Majik.  You are a genius.  :)

 

My snapview works flawless in VR now. 

 

I love this community. So helpful.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It might not be possible but is there a way to center the VR view when returning from the snap view?  Thats the only think now I can come up with that I would really want. 

 

After my snap view I always has to "Center VR view" so that I am right in front of the cross hair. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 19te.Deafbee said:

It might not be possible but is there a way to center the VR view when returning from the snap view?  Thats the only think now I can come up with that I would really want. 

 

After my snap view I always has to "Center VR view" so that I am right in front of the cross hair.

 

You want to change your hotkey programming so when you begin to 'hold' the joystick button it pushes the snap-left, then when you release the button, snap-right (and vice versa).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2020 at 10:13 AM, Alonzo said:

 

You want to change your hotkey programming so when you begin to 'hold' the joystick button it pushes the snap-left, then when you release the button, snap-right (and vice versa).

 

My setup is using a program called Voice Attack, (also changed the 3dmigoto keybinds to numbers), and I use the POV hat on my stick to toggle.

One thing is that it can be hard to tell when the view is shifted if you're using toggle. So everytime it is shifted, voice attack will say something.

See attached image for details of my setup.

voiceattackindicator.png

 

EDIT: just realised this is a totally different post than 3dmigoto.. my bad. just read it as an ad for 3dmigoto :)

Edited by [JG.77]-BarbraSosi
wrong post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got this to work for my Oculus Rift S and touch controllers, following @c6_lefuneste guide. A couple of points for people trying it out:

  • If you're using OpenComposite for the performance advantage, you have to go back to SteamVR for this to work. Just run SteamVR explicitly from Steam, that will set SteamVR to be the default runtime for all Steam games. Then following Lefuneste's guide.
  • I did not remove my controllers as Oculus/Rift seems to make this difficult.
  • Once you have Driver4VR installed, you need to start driver4vr in order for the virtual controllers to appear in the SteamVR config screen. Then you can map trigger and grip as described by Lefuneste.
  • I used Z and X as hotkeys for 45 left and right, then AutoHotKey to bind to my joystick (AHK is what I use instead of Joy2key or T.A.R.G.E.T., use what works for you).
  • If you are testing, you'll find it takes a while to get all the software running. If you want to do a full 10 minutes of dogfighting to test it out, get everything running except don't hit 'start' on driver4vr until you are all loaded into IL2 and ready to test. Then you get the full 10 minutes.

Question for @c6_lefuneste @Nibbio and anyone else who has this working:

 

I tried dogfighting in the K4, and the extra view rotation over Lefuneste's Migoto mod is very welcome. I use 19 degrees on that so the 45 here is really great. But I've been seeing weird stuff where my head 'centre' position eventually gets pushed around the cockpit until I am sitting very far back in the seat, very close to the headrest, and sometimes I am pushed to one side left or right. Is anyone else experiencing this? I assume it's because the developers helpfully restrict head movement in VR and the snap is interfering with that.

 

Any workaround or mitigation? I guess I can just recenter my view all the time but needing to do that is annoying, slow, and suuuuper immersion breaking (for some reason I find superzoom and snap-rotate to be less immersion breaking than needing to decide "I am very off centre, better recentre").

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it works like for right = recenter+90deg, and going back is again recenter-90deg. Often you have to recenter your position again in cockpit, to be able to shoot. That is a biggest problem with this Exorcist snap view.

Also, you can not always find that nice spot to see good behind, like ir gamers do. Often I find myself in wierd position, that looking back is actualy looking at my huge seat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To clarify, I have mapped my joystick so hold POV hat = snap left 45, release POV hat = snap right 45 (i.e. undo the extra 45 degrees of head turn). But my "neutral" head position in VR eventually (after a minute or two) gets pushed around when I am dogfighting and using the snap/unsnap. I guess if I move my head at all when holding the extra rotation I am going to incur small changes in the overall head position, even without the IL2 cockpit head limiter. e.g. look right 90, add 45 snap, rotate head slightly, remove 45 snap, head is now vertically above/below original neutral position?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm using only 45° with the "snap view", and did not have so much recenter problem. But I used it mostly in FC planes, maybe there are less head restriction...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys,
Has anyone set this for HP Reverb? I could use some help, because have issues with the controller mapping ...
Thank you in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...