Nibbio

Exorcist snap view in VR...

...is now possible, thanks to the latest OpenVR advanced settings

https://github.com/OpenVR-Advanced-Settings/OpenVR-AdvancedSettings

which includes a snap view with customizable angle:

image.png.02b083f1951f8af9012b319c873da9ef.png

Snap Turn: Allows snap (instant) turning by the specified angle. Can type in values or use the preset buttons for angles that neatly divide 360 degrees. Must bind actions via SteamVR Input interface.

that you can bind to any button of any VR controller:

image.thumb.png.8bce69c4416db79bac764c36eacf4781.png

Just tried it and it works pretty well... just wish I could find a way to bind it to a joystick button, or at least a keyboard key :joy:

I will have to somehow rig one of the Oculus touch controllers to the warthog throttle in order to use it comfortably 😉

p.s. you need steam VR beta to install OpenVR advanced settings

Edited by Nibbio
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nibbio said:

...is now possible, thanks to the latest OpenVR advanced settings

https://github.com/OpenVR-Advanced-Settings/OpenVR-AdvancedSettings

which includes a snap view with customizable angle:

image.png.02b083f1951f8af9012b319c873da9ef.png

that you can bind to any button of any VR controller:

image.thumb.png.8bce69c4416db79bac764c36eacf4781.png

Just tried it and it works pretty well... just wish I could find a way to bind it to a joystick button, or at least a keyboard key :joy:

I will have to somehow rig one of the Oculus touch controllers to the warthog throttle in order to use it comfortably 😉

p.s. you need steam VR beta to install OpenVR advanced settings

The 3d migoto mod can do this already, and can be bound to any key.

Just now, JonRedcorn said:

The 3d migoto mod can do this already, and can be bound to any key.

Maybe I was not clear enough, with this you can look 180 degrees back at the push of a button. Then push the same button again and you are looking forward.

The latest experimental 3D migoto allows you to look up to 30 degrees left or right beyond you current point of view, but Lefuneste says there's a good chance terrain, aircraft and other objects will not render.

In this case everything is rendered, always. It's possible devs may block this capability in the near future...

14 minutes ago, Nibbio said:

Maybe I was not clear enough, with this you can look 180 degrees back at the push of a button. Then push the same button again and you are looking forward.

The latest experimental 3D migoto allows you to look up to 30 degrees left or right beyond you current point of view, but Lefuneste says there's a good chance terrain, aircraft and other objects will not render.

In this case everything is rendered, always. It's possible devs may block this capability in the near future...

Unless you plan on holding a touch controller in your hand it's not going to be of much use.

16 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

Unless you plan on holding a touch controller in your hand it's not going to be of much use.

Right, but with a bit of tape and imagination you can go a long way... 😂

image.thumb.jpeg.f37d84ddbf9472592a49264a85699e65.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Nibbio said:

Right, but with a bit of tape and imagination you can go a long way... 😂

image.thumb.jpeg.f37d84ddbf9472592a49264a85699e65.jpeg

Just take up yoga. 

How did you get the game to recognize the controller?

Steam said that the controller was not compatible.

31 minutes ago, TWC_Piranha2 said:

How did you get the game to recognize the controller?

Steam said that the controller was not compatible.

It's not the game that recognizes the controller, but SteamVR. Since last year you can bind any VR controller in SteamVR. Unfortunately joysticks and keyboard cannot be mapped, or at least I haven't found a way.

The 180 degrees snap view is available through SteamVR, if you map it, so it works (should work, at least) for every SteamVR app. I mapped it to a simple touch of the little joystick on the left controller, just need to brush it with a fingertip.

It does work very well in IL2. Only problem is the controller falls asleep after a while, if not used, so it's better to check six often 😉

p.s. as explained above, you need to opt for the beta SteamVR, and install the latest OpenVR Advanced Settings from the link provided.

Edited by Nibbio

On 4/18/2019 at 10:59 PM, Nibbio said:

I agree, this should be a far better way than my mod. Did you try driver4vr ?

Could'nt get Driver 4VR to work.may not be compatible with Odessey.

I do appreciate the help and effort though.

Thanks

4 hours ago, lefuneste said:

I agree, this should be a far better way than my mod. Did you try driver4vr ?

No, scanned it quickly, saw it was not a free download, and the features were not clear... is it worth it?

One thing that puzzles me is that the exorcist view with OpenVR advanced settings doesn't work in DCS, even when launched in SteamVR mode.

If you look closely at the Driver 4VR mod on the download page you can download for free. After it's installed it says you have a limited time to try it out. 

I just bring this up because someone may have better luck with it than me.

Thanks

I used driver4VR a lot for my former Pimax4K.

I do not need it now with my 5k+ because I have a Vive base, but I'll have a look.

Edited by lefuneste

I tried to use your trick, but even without Driver4vr, i'm a bit lost. On which application and action do you add chord ?

I did everything in steamvr through the blue interface that you can reach by pressing a button on the controller (system button, the flat one, on the left controller for rift), within the hmd. Go into 'advanced settings' to enable snap view and into 'settings' to set the bindings for each application. You will find a list of apps on the right, scroll down to the very last, which is called 'advanced settings'

a couple of guides:

https://github.com/OpenVR-Advanced-Settings/OpenVR-AdvancedSettings/blob/master/docs/SteamVRInputGuide.md

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-custom-keybindings-steamvr

one suggestion: don't bind to a touch of the button, but a press. Touch doesn't work when controller "goes to sleep"

Edited by Nibbio

It works! Very nice finding! But using a strap to mount my touch controller is no good idea ;) I tried many things - demo of Driver4VR, autohotkey and nothing. I think that at this point we have to wait for someone bigger to create such a soft.

BTW I was managed to bind oculus touch with keyboard like I hit A button on the touch and it gives me some letter on the keyboard. May be useful, but we need to make it in other direction. 

Great to know it works for someone else besides me 😉

Even though I've not been playing IL2GB lately, my Oculus left touch is still firmly taped to the throttle...

5 hours ago, P_Gora said:

It works! Very nice finding! But using a strap to mount my touch controller is no good idea ;) I tried many things - demo of Driver4VR, autohotkey and nothing. I think that at this point we have to wait for someone bigger to create such a soft.

BTW I was managed to bind oculus touch with keyboard like I hit A button on the touch and it gives me some letter on the keyboard. May be useful, but we need to make it in other direction. 

I wonder if joytokey software can be used now.

I dont think so. We rather need something like keytojoy...

Here is also interesting thread: http://vjoystick.sourceforge.net/site/index.php/forum/4-Help/1206-key-to-joy

If we can connect autohotkey with vjoy than maybe there is a chance for us ;) sadly I can't even install vjoy, and dont know why (error during inst)

Nibbio at what point you have a problem with configuration? Maybe I could help?

Edited by P_Gora

40 minutes ago, P_Gora said:

No problem at all, it works perfectly for me, BTW I'm the OP 😊

I was just saying that you and I are apparently the only ones who were able to make it work. Lefuneste tried but it didn't work on his end.

2 hours ago, P_Gora said:

Here is also interesting thread: http://vjoystick.sourceforge.net/site/index.php/forum/4-Help/1206-key-to-joy

If we can connect autohotkey with vjoy than maybe there is a chance for us ;) sadly I can't even install vjoy, and dont know why (error during inst)

JoyToKey (or Joy2Key) enables PC game controllers to emulate the keyboard and mouse input, so that windows applications and web games can be controlled with your favorite joysticks! Whenever joystick buttons and sticks are pressed, JoyToKey converts them into keyboard strokes and/or mouse movements so that the target application will work as if you are using a real keyboard and a mouse.

Like I said I converted touch to keyboard  using autohotkey but this is not what we need. We need soft that converts pressing joy button or keyboard into touch controllers. 

Joy2key doesn't even see touch controllers. 

On 4/29/2019 at 8:37 AM, Nibbio said:

I did everything in steamvr through the blue interface that you can reach by pressing a button on the controller (system button, the flat one, on the left controller for rift), within the hmd. Go into 'advanced settings' to enable snap view and into 'settings' to set the bindings for each application. You will find a list of apps on the right, scroll down to the very last, which is called 'advanced settings'

a couple of guides:

https://github.com/OpenVR-Advanced-Settings/OpenVR-AdvancedSettings/blob/master/docs/SteamVRInputGuide.md

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-custom-keybindings-steamvr

one suggestion: don't bind to a touch of the button, but a press. Touch doesn't work when controller "goes to sleep"

Hey I./ZG15_Rab3 look at post of Nibbio and make every step of it. Should help.

Hey Guys. I wonder if anyone managed to get this working and map the controller (index for me) buttons to a joystick button.

I am assuming the usual pleas and platitudes have been made to the Devs for an ingame mappable snap 6 for VR users?  I further assume our energies are better spent in that direction yes?

On 9/1/2019 at 10:14 PM, TWC_Sp00k said:

I am assuming the usual pleas and platitudes have been made to the Devs for an ingame mappable snap 6 for VR users?  I further assume our energies are better spent in that direction yes?

More rewarding to watch a glacier melt. Lol.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

All,

Finally found a solution to make this work. I had VR set up for a seated position.

This solve the issue.

Issue: Snap back when using motion controls with WMR headset

• Cause: WMR boundary off, or set up for standing only.
  • Solution: Please set-up WMR for all experiences, and then if you don't want WMR boundary you can toggle off the boundary after SteamVR/OpenVR has been started.

Read through this topic from the start. There are links and photo's. Just make sure you set-up WMR for all experiences, and then if you don't want WMR boundary you can toggle off the boundary after SteamVR/OpenVR has been started.

hi, thanks for the tip - works pretty well with my reverb, binded to gamepad, next to "VR recenter"   because  "snap view xxx"  acts here like   "vr recenter with xxx angle"  

...and yes, it works  in other sims to...

On 11/7/2019 at 10:23 AM, wju said:

hi, thanks for the tip - works pretty well with my reverb, binded to gamepad, next to "VR recenter"   because  "snap view xxx"  acts here like   "vr recenter with xxx angle"  

...and yes, it works  in other sims to...

Could you make it work in DCS too?

sure, it is working in DCS!   🙂

I also use "brightness decrease"  to 80%,  combined with gamma 1.8 in game -  because Reverb is too bright for my old eyes in DCS

the only issue in DCS is the "floor offset",  which must be reseted every time again after restart

bug or I may be missing something, do not know, i deal with openVR AS for three days only

Edited by wju

2 hours ago, wju said:

sure, it is working in DCS!   🙂

well I couldn never make it work in DCS, even when running in SteamVR mode (have an Oculus Rift).

Maybe I should try again...

Edited by Nibbio

i run my DCS in standalone open beta; 

just check cross-binding of your device in DCS, also for Ui_layer;

keys can be combined onto one device;  I have "snap view"  from OpenVR and "VR recenter" from Ui-layer on x-box gamepad

works perfect 😉