E69_geramos109

Brake power Not Accurate

Posted (edited)

Is well known on the comunity that the brakes are not very powerfull and not very accured. 

Here you have a video from a veteran talking about brake power of the plane and i put it toghether with an In game test. 

Edited by E69_geramos109
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Posted (edited)

I think it has been acknownledged that brakes are far weaker than IRL because most people don't have pedal based brakes, so with the all-or-nothing press of a button you would noseover rather easily.

The solution could be to have different options, like the true brake strenght for the pedal users, and the toned down one for the keyboard users, with different mappings so each player can use what it suits best.

And it's "accurate" not "accured".

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

I think it has been acknownledged that brakes are far weaker than IRL because most people don't have pedal based brakes, so with the all-or-nothing press of a button you would noseover rather easily.

The solution could be to have different options, like the true brake strenght for the pedal users, and the toned down one for the keyboard users, with different mappings so each player can use what it suits best.

And it's "accurate" not "accured".

Mybe that is a good reason for making the brakes not as powerfull but do you remember il2 1946?? There were any problems using the brakes for keyboard users and the people were not spining all the time. 

If you watch the entire interview he taked also that there were no problems using full brakes with fliping the nose. Was dangerous to do that on 2 point landing.

On conclution I think the brakes can be way more powerfull with no problems for Keyboard users. I am keyboard user by the way

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

Then it's control mapping issue and it should be resolved by an input filter rather than fiddling with planes' models.

You would get full brake only after a set delay of continuous key/button press. You could get intermediate braking action by pulsing key/button presses.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Ehret said:

You would get full brake only after a set delay of continuous key/button press. You could get intermediate braking action by pulsing key/button presses.

This could be a good solution yeah

Same way you can set throttle to percentages you should be able to set braking to percentages. It's of course quite hard with the awkward way the game GUI works.

Honestly I don't see how not having rudder pedals should affect brake accuracy/strength. I didn't always have rudder pedals yet I've never had a real problem with nosing over in other sims I've played, I don't really see it as a problem in Il2.

I all honesty it'd probably help people in the long run because currently everyone spins out and goes crazy since brakes don't work properly.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

Honestly I don't see how not having rudder pedals should affect brake accuracy/strength. I didn't always have rudder pedals yet I've never had a real problem with nosing over in other sims I've played, I don't really see it as a problem in Il2.

I all honesty it'd probably help people in the long run because currently everyone spins out and goes crazy since brakes don't work properly.

Because the brake pedals are binary-Full on or full off.  If full on brake application would cause a nose-over in the real aircraft, then that's going to be a problem if it isn't mapped to an axis.  In Russian planes, most people will naturally use the Pinky Paddle on their joystick because on the real sticks, that's where the brake is.  Except the joysticks I'm aware of, that's just going to push a button, on/off.   Personally, I think the developers made the right choices here;  when all is said and done, I just can't find it in me to get worked up too much over a perceived problem with something like the wheel brakes.  It might literally be one of the last things I would think to critique.  It appears to be almost exactly the amount of braking that I would envision applying if my Pinky paddle was an axis instead of a button.

Edited by SeaSerpent

3 hours ago, SeaSerpent said:

Because the brake pedals are binary-Full on or full off. 

They don't have to be, however, that's the point. There's an alternative workaround:

7 hours ago, Ehret said:

That's exactly how DCS tackles the same problem. For a compromise solution, it works quite well I'd say. I use tapping the Warthog spade grip for controlling the DCS Spit brakes, while analog toe brakes on my pedals do the job in the other warbirds.

Posted (edited)

Stronger brakes would prevent spinning - not induce it. With stonger brake you could stop spinning in a moment, far before it coul gain momentum and develop into a full spin.

Stronger brakes woul be more dangerous only when braking a plane to a stop after landing.

So if brakes strenght had been reduced by developers to help new players without analogue brake it was wrong decision because far more new players struggle with spinning during taxi than would have problems with gradual stoping the plane after landing.

But without hard data i don't know if the brakes are modeled weaker than in real thing or they are correct.

Edited by zwarteeend

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 12:32 AM, Ehret said:

Then it's control mapping issue and it should be resolved by an input filter rather than fiddling with planes' models.

That solution would suit me. I use both pedals and a hat-switch for brakes, depending on the plane.

• Upvote 1

I also find the brakes to be pretty weak in general. Would love to see this tweaked.

At a minimum give those of us with toe brakes the ability to set the braking power as being stronger and leave those without an axis on the existing system.

On 4/15/2019 at 6:04 AM, SeaSerpent said:

Personally, I think the developers made the right choices here; 

Well, when every other sim solved the same brake problem on a better way I can not see how devs make the right choice here. 

Break power definitely needs improved. It makes taxing more difficult, makes landing on short airfields more troublesome, and makes taking off with brake assisting less effective.