Sign in to follow this  
Legioneod

Ballistics

I'm not a modder or coder by any means but I'm curious if ballistics can be modded for Il2.

I've been wanting to create harmonization patterns for American aircraft and aircraft with wing mounted guns.

I'm wondering if this is possible to mod into Il2 or is this something only the game Devs can do? I figure the Devs are busy so the likelihood of seeing this as an official addition to the game is slim to none so I was wondering if I could do it myself.

Harmonization is extremely important for increasing hit probability. Despite what some may think, it's much harder to hit a target when all the guns converge on a single point.

A proper harmonization pattern would increase the likelihood of hits, and would be much more realistic than having the guns converge all on one point.

I would like to add the diamond pattern to the game if possible since we basically already have the other one.

Also, another thing that needs fixing is synchronized guns. Having all the guns fire at the same time creates gaps and can cause you to miss your target, free firing guns would be more historically accurate to what was used.

P-47_gun_harmonization_1945_page_35.jpgP-47_gun_harmonization_-_two_types.jpg

Edited by Legioneod
  • Upvote 2

"Also, another thing that needs fixing is synchronized guns. Having all the guns fire at the same time creates gaps and can cause you to miss your target, free firing guns would be more historically accurate to what was used."

Have you more information about this?

You can see on the video that there is no any synchronization at all (especially at 1:05). Slow down the video to make it even more apparent.

Also, there is no text, no manual or other doc info whatsoever that wing mounted 0.50" machine guns were ever synchronized in US planes. Nothing. Not surprising because it would make no sense at all; it could only reduced hit probability, added extra weight and possible failures modes.

The other sim has free firing guns for the P-51D, too. Configured with proper harmonization no less. Even the laughed at WT has free firing guns for wing mounted machine guns.

• Upvote 1

But have the m262 this?

4x30mm  at the same time with low rate of fire is a huge "gab"

3 hours ago, Hobel said:

But have the m262 this?

4x30mm  at the same time with low rate of fire is a huge "gab"

The MK-108 has quite fast cycling rate for its caliber - about 10 rounds per second. But yes - they should be free firing especially considering that +30mm rounds had less stable propeller burning times than 20mm. I recall that was one of reasons why the 30mm couldn't be synchronized to shoot through a propeller.

Yup - looks like free firing - each 4 round volley is slightly different and they should diverge more and more with consecutive shots. The very first volley should be closest so you still can snipe with all guns by single tapping the trigger.

Of course if it's implemented properly. The other way is just add some pseudo random delay for each gun cycle... not great but still better than 100% synchronized.