Plank

Parachuting: A descending third person mystery.

Posted (edited)

Parachuting: A descending third person mystery.

Revisiting the game after buying the Po-2 for kicks.

Then started flying the yak -1 as I was getting overtaken by flying debris (mine).

Imho the break to 3rd person view while in game for any reason is beyond me.

Take the parachute for instance:

"BailCam" kicks in and BOOM you are out of the game.

"ExplodyCam" well yep, i's dead and having an out of body experience watching my cannon riddled body incinerate as the large plume of carbon black smoke drifts gently away with my fps.

not exactly keeping you in the mood is it?

Hang on love, I just have to slip in to something more comfortably third person for a sec while I struggle with an aviatorial fact of life.

Salute!

Planky.

Edited by Plank

Yeah I don't know if this was changed for VR or what. Kind of immersion breaking even in 2d to be ripped out of the cockpit.

• Upvote 1

I agree with you - at least for the parachuting part. We used to have 1st person parachuting which was great, but it got taken out, not sure why. 

When dead, on the other hand, what else can you do? It is not as though the pilot would have a view at all. Perhaps black; fading in to a vision of fiery pits of brimstone, for one side, or clouds, light and an angelic chorus for the other.

• Upvote 1

My dear Unreasonable,

If you were a good pilot you could get a mood screen saver while you are transferred to the spangly afterlife of your choice.

If you are a bad pilot... terrible ciggies, cut rate brothel and no antibiotics, lice and even more mud. lumpy mattresses...

and the brandy is petrol tainted.

Violins? or an era shattering fugue...

or " YOU ARE DEAD" in bold large just in case you didn't see it coming...

but yes the parachute bit is a no brainer.

Good lord you should see the rain right now. Tons of it....

S! P.

• Upvote 1

Might be cool to suddenly spawn a body in first person when bailing out. I mean the animation is there already, might be possible to just slave the camera to the pilot model's head as it egresses out of the cockpit. 

Could be a nice visual treat if implemented.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MarderIV said:

Might be cool to suddenly spawn a body in first person when bailing out. I mean the animation is there already, might be possible to just slave the camera to the pilot model's head as it egresses out of the cockpit. 

Could be a nice visual treat if implemented.

Really? As if there are no other issues in this game that need to be fixed now. But who knows, may be it's more immersive to observe the cloud issues,

stuttering problems and blinking forest, hanging in the harness of a parachute in first person?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, -IRRE-Therion said:

Really? As if there are no other issues in this game that need to be fixed now. But who knows, may be it's more immersive to observe the cloud issues,

stuttering problems and blinking forest, hanging in the harness of a parachute in first person?

Really? 🙄    He was just speculating on what would be nice,  not demanding that all bugfix work be dropped to get his idea implemented.   

Personally I see his point ie as we are already looking out of the pilots head, while flying,   *perhaps* it is not a major project to stay in the pilots head as he exits.   I was a software engineer for decades and I know that sometimes that crazy 'If Only it were possible' idea hesitantly put forward by a client is actually trivial and can be slipped in overnight ahead of the bigger long term projects.  Equally of course, sometimes that 'Should be simple' idea is actually damn near impossible without starting again from scratch 😁

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

Really? 🙄    He was just speculating on what would be nice,  not demanding that all bugfix work be dropped to get his idea implemented. 

Pretty much. I wasn't trying to push it, so apologies if anyone thought I was being insensitive to much larger issues. I'm quite aware there's a whole breadth of concerns about the sim. I just thought something like that would have been pretty cool to share, but I get it. 

I'll take my leave. Thank you. 

• Upvote 1

Actually this:

9 hours ago, unreasonable said:

I agree with you - at least for the parachuting part. We used to have 1st person parachuting which was great, but it got taken out, not sure why.  

Can put it back in?

and...

The brain can filter out the twinkly stuff in the distance, it is another matter to shift perspective radically.

I would call it sprucing the place up, a tweak here and tweak there.

It's how you get things ship shape.

S! P

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I was a software engineer for decades and I know that sometimes that crazy 'If Only it were possible' idea hesitantly put forward by a client is actually trivial and can be slipped in overnight ahead of the bigger long term projects.

OK, mate, I was a software developer for many, many years too, but asked myself the question "If only it were possible..." only AFTER I had all done and no more

major issues were open.

I understand very well, what you mean, but I'm definitely not a fan about questions like  "what would it be like, if..." and "if it only were possible", when there is a lot

of things to be fixed and other things to be finished. And believe me, my customers came from where you call your homeland... and knowing them quite well, they

would have divided me in four parts and exposed the whole mess in York, if I'd dare to think about "nice to have" bits BEFORE anything else is running fine.

Edited by -IRRE-Therion
  • Upvote 1

Perhaps for some of us having 1st person parachuting is something that needs to be "fixed or finished".

There are plenty of things that elicit frequent complaints here that are of supreme indifference to me: anything to do with MP for a start.  

People have different wish lists and I see nothing wrong with people expressing a view.  After all, it is not likely to make much difference to what the developers actually do, so where is the harm?  It makes a change from people whining about the clouds, spotting or the netcode. 

• Upvote 1

As a non multi player, I was not aware of the change in the parachuting animation (I don't leave the aircraft that much in the noncombat flying I usually do). Was this done to prevent other players from machine gunning pilots in parachute harness?

• Upvote 1

@Arfsix - I do not think that is the reason - after all people still do machine gun parachutists, it is just that when you get shot in your parachute you now see it in 3rd person view!

I suspect that as the developers added planes they found that the original 1st person view created clipping or some other graphical glitch with some of the new models: but that is just speculation on my part. It was changed quite a while ago now.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, unreasonable said:

@Arfsix - I do not think that is the reason - after all people still do machine gun parachutists, it is just that when you get shot in your parachute you now see it in 3rd person view!

I suspect that as the developers added planes they found that the original 1st person view created clipping or some other graphical glitch with some of the new models: but that is just speculation on my part. It was changed quite a while ago now.

Pretty much something like this. I seem to remember talking to Loft about how good it was when we stayed in first person while bailing out. It's been a long time but I think it ended up being changed because of how each airplane would need it's own style during the bail out sequence which was too much work.

Additionally, during the crash sequence we used to stay first person throughout for that as well, but you'll notice that if you go inverted during the crash you are kicked out to third person. This is due to clipping issues where you could see through the ground if you were upside down so it was decided to remove that feature as well (you can probably thank people super critical of the game at that point for that one).

Personally, I would really love for both features to make a come back as they were great additions to the sim...it's just odd to see in third person after flying around in first person. I can only imagine how annoying it must be for VR users.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Well I guess that wraps that mystery up.

Shame really. Oh well. Heck....

Thanks for confabulating!

S!

Planky.

17. Spreading false or harmful information about the product is prohibited and will be deleted by forum administration. Claiming ignorance of the subject to justify harmful or obviously untrue info will not be tolerated.

Edited by SYN_Haashashin
Wacth it...

17 hours ago, -IRRE-Therion said:

OK, mate, I was a software developer for many, many years too, but asked myself the question "If only it were possible..." only AFTER I had all done and no more

major issues were open.

I understand very well, what you mean, but I'm definitely not a fan about questions like  "what would it be like, if..." and "if it only were possible", when there is a lot

of things to be fixed and other things to be finished. And believe me, my customers came from where you call your homeland... and knowing them quite well, they

would have divided me in four parts and exposed the whole mess in York, if I'd dare to think about "nice to have" bits BEFORE anything else is running fine.

I did not invent 'What if?' scenarios myself. I created the software for one of the largest stockbrokers in the City and it was often one of the partners making the 'If only' comments so it was good to keep them happy 🙂   I also did not have 'major issues' pending because any issues had to be fixed immediately so all that was pending was long term projects.  As far as I was concerned,  if I was working on something that would not be complete for another few months but taking a day out would give them something that might potentially help the company make more money right now then I would do it. We did not run one of those regimes where everything had to be debated and tested for weeks before going live because the city environment involved frequent rapid changes forced on us by government legislation or new types of financial instruments being announced.   I understand though that other environments work better with slow careful and thorough testing and games like this would definitely be one of those environments.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I did not invent 'What if?' scenarios myself. I created the software for one of the largest stockbrokers in the City and it was often one of the partners making the 'If only' comments so it was good to keep them happy 🙂   I also did not have 'major issues' pending because any issues had to be fixed immediately so all that was pending was long term projects.  As far as I was concerned,  if I was working on something that would not be complete for another few months but taking a day out would give them something that might potentially help the company make more money right now then I would do it. We did not run one of those regimes where everything had to be debated and tested for weeks before going live because the city environment involved frequent rapid changes forced on us by government legislation or new types of financial instruments being announced.   I understand though that other environments work better with slow careful and thorough testing and games like this would definitely be one of those environments.

I completely understand, what you mean and I happy, that we have a little something in common - I created a software for the FOREX department for one of the major

Swiss banks and I loved it, although I was on constant pressure. But the people working with my application liked what I've done, were very polite but strict and quite

demanding. At the end, it was one of the best times in my life, because the promises I made have been kept and I always was in communication with those people using

my application, they never ever felt let down.

The "other" sim does first person parachuting. I would prefer it tbh. And Id prefer if you were killed for the screen to just go black.  I forget if it was EAW or the original IL2 but thats what happened in those. I have a lot of bad memories of chasing B17s and suddenly WHACK black screen (youd still hear backround noise)

.50 cal to the face..

I couldn't care less if there was first person parachuting or not.  I didn't buy Il-2 to get a Skydiving simulator.  And if I'm in a chute, it means I got shot down.  I try to avoid that.   If I dare waste the brain energy to have a preference towards whether it's first person or third person, I would actually prefer third person.  Sometimes it's really hard to believe the things that people can find to criticise.

2 hours ago, Sublime said:

The "other" sim does first person parachuting. I would prefer it tbh. And Id prefer if you were killed for the screen to just go black.  I forget if it was EAW or the original IL2 but thats what happened in those. I have a lot of bad memories of chasing B17s and suddenly WHACK black screen (youd still hear backround noise)

.50 cal to the face..

It was in old il-2, I remember it. It was a good effect but the continuing background noise was strange. The first time it happened I thought my monitor had busted or something though. A gradual to rapid fade to black after a fatal hit might be better.

I would like first person parachuting but I can't imagine that they switched to third person for no reason at all. I'd rather a smooth third person bail out animation than a glitchy, clippy first person one.

Posted (edited)

Agreed.  Yea I remember the backround noise being weird. I could see if it was like you were dying and could hear a few seconds or if you werent KIA.  I think they maybe left the sound in so people didnt think the game crashed. Of course it still led to confusion momentarily amongst many.

But yeah if they cant do a good first person bail out and its buggy and mind simulations of modern jets have it relatively easy with ejection seat animations versus the WW2 method.  Because the WW2 method is basically any way you can, sometimes people undid straps and inverted, some climbed out, etc.

Also I recall reading a post today where someone recalled seeing a plane in game dragging a chute.  Im tempted to fly into a parachute to see if that happens but I doubt it does. Am I wrong? Im almost certain you cant get hung up bailing out in game - you dont control opening your chute and Ive never seen my character strike part of the plane.. I have seen them bail too low..

Edited by Sublime

A burst of fast and furious MP later:

3rd person bailing out is just not cool at all.

Everytime it happens it just feels cheap. Sorry if that's a strong word but hey.

Essentially the two planes types I have bailed out of so far have been the same action:

stand up and push away the plane.

In third person you would be able to look around

In the bail outs I have had to watch the model has it's own flight plan and the eyeballs just come along for the ride.

So, I can't see how 1st person POV can be that difficult to organise. Just turn the eyes on...

Being killed outright, well that's always been a thing in games, right.

"Game over man...it's game over. " Flashing lights and a hooter?

IMHO: If parachuting is the last thing you do in your sortie, regardless of what you fly or who you fly for, then

I think that sorting it out a 1st person POV to a  modest degree would actually be beneficial to the game/sim more than

it might appear at first glance.

Shrug.

Salute!

Planky.

• Upvote 1