Sublime

Graphics settings for spotting

I plug my laptop into my vizio flat screen.

I turned down the gamma or whatever (alpha?) Blurred landscape.

My spotting is still AWFUL.

I can post my system specs but I basically run at almost highest graphics and get 60 FPS.

Ill gladly take a graphics hit to a degree if it means I can spot the enemy 5-9km away..

I heard vaguely lowering the screen resolution helps. Is this true?

Any tips?

check this topic:

and there is planty other topics if you serch about spoting, its big problem in this game...  no res dont change a thing in this game like it does in previous games. This game dont use dots it just uses smaller and smaller lod of airplane.

basicly try turning on sharpnes and off multusampling and adjust your screan and so on, not mutch you can do with game setings to make any noticable improvments beside making gamma low as posible.

pos screanshot of your in game setings and ppl will beter know to tell you what you should adjust... or search for topics on forum with answers as this was asked many times

Inked2018_12_22__19_7_24_LI.thumb.jpg.bff0543522b13f4c75fd256a5c8340a9.jpg

@Sublime - these are actually my settings. Especially those red marked options help very much in spotting enemies. All other options can be set by your flavor and

of course depending on your system's power.

If you're a bit familiar with editing config file in the Notepad you can also adjust the gamma correction below 0.8. I have set it to 0.6 at the moment. You can find

these parameters in your startup.cfg file located in your game directory.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. Yes i just set to .6 and it made a HUGE difference. I think - only a couple quick fligbts. I purposefully looked around a lot then reacquired thoufh.

Lesss clear is resolution. I had it maxed. I dropped it 3 notches and it DID seem to help. But im not as sure and reset it back up and it seems setting gamma did more than anything.

Thank u

In fact I think the screen you posted... Did you post it before? I think I used your settings for blurred and sharpen before and it helped. Editting the file to .6 seems to have made a big difference. Time will tell. If after a few career mode sorties I still have the same trouble Ill fu*k with resolution next.

I want to be able to kill online.  Its just so satisfying. Just like even causing only a few casualties in CN is still satisfying.. Theyrw a humans soldiers.  

Ugh.is it the low light or the rez.. 😕

For me it was resolution reduction (from 3500x2500 to 2500x1900 or something like that) what vastly improved my capability to spot,

with best resolution I could barely seen after 1 km, because the plane cammo blended very well with terrain; after reducing resolution it is now black/ easier to spot

This in addition to changing blurred/ gamma/ sharpen as shown

Calibrate your monitor/screen before anything else

(Google will tell you how) 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

• Upvote 1

Thanks. So i calibrate it and..  Just fiddle with in game settings?

Also will editting my video settings on mylaptop carry over to my vizio flat screen if I plug my hdmi into my comp?

I have to get my universal remote workijg with it, the tv remote isnt acting right and the gamma needs to go up on that for sure.  What I mean about settings transferring over is other stuff?

Finally besides simply a larger screen does putting it on a tv help me spot better? Its a bigger screen and looks cool - but I cant tell one way or another to be honest and Im curious as to whether theres a scientific answer (eg the larger size does allow easier spotting and I just suck lol)

Thoughts?

Appreciate all the help fellas

On 4/29/2019 at 11:07 AM, Sublime said:

Also will editting my video settings on mylaptop carry over to my vizio flat screen if I plug my hdmi into my comp?

The graphical settings will carry over to the TV screen as they are rendered in the game itself. But to increase brightness or gamma for the monitor/tv will require the TV to be adjusted separately in it's own menu settings.

Also any plane past 2km will render as black paint. So try maxing your gamma to 1.2 in the graphic settings or go to the start config file in the il-2 directory and set 0.5 gamma for the dark contrast approach. It really depends on your preference on which style you prefer to see. However 1.2 helped me the most. Having HDR "ON" will also brighten the world via actual lighting. However I prefer the better frame rate thus have that set to off. 

Here is a video from Geramos showing the lighting differences.

Edited by Geronimo553