Jason_Williams

IL-2 Motion and VR

Hello Jason,

I use VR from the 1st day I bought IL-2 Box and I use motion now aswell. The combination is nice, but to be honest I like it the most with shallow bank angles like 30 degrees turns and not too high pitch angles, because my motion rig has limited pitch and bank angles and can not provide to full range as a warbird can do 😉

Honestly, your team did a great job with VR implementation, YOUR simulation software is the BEST VR experience I ever had till now and everybody who came to my house and tried IL-2 with VR said the same.

Thanks to you and your great Dev team for the great job.

Regards Joe

Joe,

Thanks for the kudos. What VR goggle are you using? I'm doing some research for something.

Jason

hi, Jason,

I'm waiting on the NLR guys to let me know when they add support to NLR Motion Platform v3,  that's what I have in my house. As soon as it's available I'll test it out and post the results.

Hello Jason,

I used the Rift since last autumn ( when I bought the Box series ) and I was very happy with the Oculus Rift in IL-2.

Last week I changed to the Samsung Odyssey plus and it works even better for me, because I did not like the strong screen door effect of the Rift, besides with the Rift I had some issues with the german Revi, sometimes the crosshair had some visual distortion effect which is non existent with the Odyssey plus.

As I said I am very happy with the VR implementation of you guys.

Best regards Joe

Simtools plugin is working with my 2 Dof montion platform but I have one issue - my Gametrix Jeat Seat - Wings software is using different port

Plugin developer prepared it for 4321 and looks I cant have both ports opened and runing my devices at the same time.

[KEY = motiondevice]
   addr = "127.0.0.1"
   decimation = 2
   enable = true
   port = 4321
[END]

"Wings" software form Andre use this port: 29373

@Andre can you help here ?

Edited by TWHYata_PL

Hey I'm curious, folks in this thread -- what are you using for VR motion cancellation? (Or are you not using that?). With the Rift you can mount a sensor on your rig and have it move with you, thus cancelling motion, but all the new headsets have inside-out tracking and that technique won't work, so maybe it's not needed?

Bit late for a response Alonzo but here goes; I am using the Samsung (inside out) with flight games on my 6DoF without problems at all. However, others have reported that strong fast movements (racing games) still suffer from the issue. Have you read through the thread on XSimulator.net? 

https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/vr-motion-cancellation-time-to-test.10241/page-30#post-177697

Hello Jason,

i just now now stumbled across this thread. I have an Oculus Rift. I also have a DOF H3 for motion. Up until now I have just been using the joystick pluggin as I had given up hope there would actually be support on your end.  IL 2. Is the main reason I got my motion sim.  Can you please direct me to where I can find the pluggin that will work on Sim tools?  One again thank you for making this possible.

now I’m really looking forward to flying tomorrow. I probably won’t be able to sleep.

thank you. 

On 5/1/2019 at 10:01 AM, Scratch666 said:

Hello Jason,

i just now now stumbled across this thread. I have an Oculus Rift. I also have a DOF H3 for motion. Up until now I have just been using the joystick pluggin as I had given up hope there would actually be support on your end.  IL 2. Is the main reason I got my motion sim.  Can you please direct me to where I can find the pluggin that will work on Sim tools?  One again thank you for making this possible.

now I’m really looking forward to flying tomorrow. I probably won’t be able to sleep. 

thank you. 

https://www.xsimulator.net/community/marketplace/il-2-sturmovik-forgotten-battles-plugin.56/

On 4/16/2019 at 2:59 PM, TWHYata_PL said:

Simtools plugin is working with my 2 Dof montion platform but I have one issue - my Gametrix Jeat Seat - Wings software is using different port

Plugin developer prepared it for 4321 and looks I cant have both ports opened and runing my devices at the same time.

@Andre can you help here ?

Uhh, a bit late for an answer, your problem is probably solved. But if someone stumbles upon this thread thru a search like I did:
Andre's latest SimShaker for Wings software has an option to activate UDP retransmission - and I can confirm that it works perfectly. Rather it worked perfectly. As one can see by the second picture I am currently grounded by the neighbours' cat...

simshaker-wings-beta.png

platform seat with jetseat & cat.jpg

yes, I got also new Wing beta software from Andre ( a month ago) with re-transmission feature and its works OK.

Hi Jason, I am using:

Valve Index HMD

DOF P3 (with SRS software)

Warthog hotas

Crosswind pedals

The motion output is really amazing, this game was already the best flight sim (edging out the others due to VR) imo, and now it is just phenomenal.

The default SRS settings were set up like normal: bank right in game the chair banks right.

I changed some settings to reverse this, and the effects are ground breaking. 

Bank left in game makes the chair bank right. The force of gravity pulling your body right feels like the force caused by the plane working left... truly amazing how the mind/body is tricked. Feeling my legs pull to the right (gravity) as I turn left really makes me "know" I am flying a plane for real.

Got my wife in it today with the new settings, and she was blown away and actually got scared a few times because she really accepted it as real.

I love the optimizations you guys have made to the game, and that things such as the hud/map no longer are massive cpu hogs.

Many many thanks for your great game, really is a joy to behold!

1 question (I asked elsewhere, but maybe this gets your atention). There is a delay of just under 1 second between an action in game and the corresponding movement of my chair. This only affects this game, other games are instant. Do you know if this latency is caused by IL2, or is the data being pumped out with minimum latency? Thanks for everything!

On 10/19/2019 at 11:46 PM, SkydiversElliot-Priski said:

Hi Jason, I am using:

Valve Index HMD

DOF P3 (with SRS software)

Warthog hotas

Crosswind pedals

The motion output is really amazing, this game was already the best flight sim (edging out the others due to VR) imo, and now it is just phenomenal.

The default SRS settings were set up like normal: bank right in game the chair banks right.

I changed some settings to reverse this, and the effects are ground breaking. 

Bank left in game makes the chair bank right. The force of gravity pulling your body right feels like the force caused by the plane working left... truly amazing how the mind/body is tricked. Feeling my legs pull to the right (gravity) as I turn left really makes me "know" I am flying a plane for real.

Got my wife in it today with the new settings, and she was blown away and actually got scared a few times because she really accepted it as real.

I love the optimizations you guys have made to the game, and that things such as the hud/map no longer are massive cpu hogs.

Many many thanks for your great game, really is a joy to behold!

1 question (I asked elsewhere, but maybe this gets your atention). There is a delay of just under 1 second between an action in game and the corresponding movement of my chair. This only affects this game, other games are instant. Do you know if this latency is caused by IL2, or is the data being pumped out with minimum latency? Thanks for everything!

I have seen videos of this system having lag in dirt games. Anyway, @Jason_Williams maybe there’s something to check.