Sign in to follow this  
Benmilam

Do you need a joystick?

Just got VR for game and struggling.  Finally got in game but guessing you need mouse to start.  My hand chucks don't show up.  Do I need the joystick to fly.  

I believe some people have had luck with a game controller. I used to fly DCS that way, actually. Might be worth a try to get you started if you've got one lying around.

Yes. Totally. In fact im getting really worried as my joystick has had a rough life.

My favorite joy ever was a thrustmaster IIRC back in 2000. It had 8 buttons to select different presets. No HOTAS add on I couldnt afford it. But a. Nice throttle slider, china and castle had, trigger and missile button. It felt great.  However IIRC it didnt have a twist for the rudder.

Right now I have a logitech extreme 3dpro.  It does everything I need. The stick twists for rudder. If you can fly a UH1 full realism in DCS with no pedals and that stick itll work.  And it works great for IL2.

When I get a job I want a used VR first (just because it.ll make even old games "new" and for 80s/90s kids this is what we dreamt of were promised for years)

I rwally need a headset for MP comms. I heard you can get your earbuds to work but we.ll see.

Finally then Id buy more games - Il2 and the F14 module.  Only then rudder pedals or a HOTAS

no you dont need stick, it will be better but you can play with mouse and keyboard if you wont and even with gamepads, i play with gamepad (il-2 1946, Wt, CloD DCS and this) and have no problems in any of the games, in the end all this is just game and you can play it with anything.

Online youll just not be able to play with mouse on servers that dont alow you.

If you play with mouse check in settings, maybe you have to select that option.

But if you dont like stick and pedals and hotas and think like me its just to mutch space , try with some good gamepad, logitech F310 is great and accurate enought for any game. And you can just relax in your sofa and play.

On 4/10/2019 at 9:01 PM, 77.CountZero said:

...... , try with some good gamepad, logitech F310 is great and accurate enought for any game. And you can just relax in your sofa and play.

Heretic! the buchet, the buchet, the buchet!!! 

(don't bite me, it's a joke...😅)

Edited by NN_Razor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

For me flying without a joystick is not worth flying, but I am in for the historical feel of it. I rather have a joystick than VR. 

But it is possible to fly with mouse, just not sure if it is server settings that not will allow you to enter

• Upvote 1