Sublime

Spit Mk V gunsight

Does anyone have a linky or good guide how to use the adjistable gunsight? I dont even bother. Is it worth messing with really? Bear in mind I suck at math and Im a half idiot stoner 😜

6 minutes ago, Sublime said:

Does anyone have a linky or good guide how to use the adjistable gunsight? I dont even bother. Is it worth messing with really? Bear in mind I suck at math and Im a half idiot stoner 😜

Not necessarily required but helps in getting the most effective shots on the enemy ai.

The MKV is really not that difficult, just set preferred range and app wingspan of enemy ai you will be targeting.

I have those two wheels bound to buttons on my stick. I try to use it as much as I can but there are times I forget lol.

• Thanks 1

It only adjusts the two horizontal bars. Set convergence to 180 yards, then adjust gunsight to 200m (minimum setting), and 35m - ish- target wingspan, and 1 second busts should deal with fighter opposition. The key is to remember that their wingspan should fill the space between the two horizontal bars. 

• Thanks 1

Ty all.

For now ill leace it be. Space for buttons is at a premium and I use the Hartmann approach - target fills my windscreen 😛

Ty shuda known requiem wuda

Posted (edited)

The differences between the gyro gunsights in DCS and IL-2 are quite stark imo.  In DCS the gyro gunsights feel really useful (quick and responsive) and in IL-2 they feel slow, like trying to push a boulder, making them feel useless(If you are not using an axis to control the settings that is).  Keep in mind I have not factored in realism into this equation but I do believe this is something important the devs should look in to. 

Edited by pegg00

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Sublime said:

For now ill leace it be. Space for buttons is at a premium and I use the Hartmann approach - target fills my windscreen 😛

Don't forget to set convergence for minimum distance possible when using this tactic. ;)

Edited by Sokol1

14 hours ago, Sublime said:

I use the Hartmann approach - target fills my windscreen

Why not but... You take the risk to: 

- Loose a lot of occasion (seen before shooting)

- You may loose some precious time to reach your range

- Recieve hits from debris (propeller, elevator, flaps, wing...) 

- Or, just pass through your target... :biggrin:

IMO when your target start to fill the circle of your gunsight (may be less for english and russian gunsights), it's already close and shells gonna be effectives.

15 hours ago, Diggun said:

and 35m - ish- target wingspan,

35 feet, old chap 😎

2 hours ago, F/JG300_Faucon said:

just pass through your target

Hey, that’s my technique! Gets them every time!

2 hours ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

35 feet, old chap 😎

Yards old man, yards...

1 hour ago, Trooper117 said:

Yards old man, yards...

Range in yards, but wingspan in feet my dear chap.

5 hours ago, F/JG300_Faucon said:

Why not but... You take the risk to: 

- Loose a lot of occasion (seen before shooting)

- You may loose some precious time to reach your range

- Recieve hits from debris (propeller, elevator, flaps, wing...) 

- Or, just pass through your target... :biggrin:

IMO when your target start to fill the circle of your gunsight (may be less for english and russian gunsights), it's already close and shells gonna be effectives.

Debris is a hazard. To me and Hartmann in real life. I was exagerrating some. I actually 'snipe' quite a bit and have gotten good at snap trigger pulls that fire one or two rounds.

Also yes, if say the target is filling the Spits circle its plenty close :)

17 hours ago, Sublime said:

Ty all.

I use a keyboard and there are usually lots of buttons on those!

On 4/9/2019 at 1:19 PM, Sublime said:

Also yes, if say the target is filling the Spits circle its plenty close :)

By total coincidence, a 109 fills a spit sight exactly at 100 yards (OK maybe not 'exactly' but to all intents and purposes)    When I flew CLoD I used to religiously set my convergence to 200yds and set the winspans for each target but after a while I realised I was wasting my time as the fighters filled half the sight and the JU88 filled the whole sight and the 111 was so close as to make little difference in reality.

• Thanks 1

Thanks.  Yeah honestly I havent found any good reason to bind keys to learn to change the sight.

What I am curious about is the iron level bomb sight on the HS129 now but thats another story.

Also @56RAF_Roblex thanks for backing me up on the other thread.. As you correctly pointed out I had already searched and the threads didnt explain jack about flare colors.

3 hours ago, Haza said:

I use a keyboard and there are usually lots of buttons on those!

That there are.. :)

no seriously though keyboards fine for when cruising.  Important keys must be bindable fiddling with a keyboard in a dogfight is nuts..  Especially as I use the mouse to look

6 hours ago, Sublime said:

What I am curious about is the iron level bomb sight on the HS129 now but thats another story.

It's for bombing at different altitudes. If you have a look through the old Development Diary updates, you'll find some images showing how they work. 

24 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

It's for bombing at different altitudes. If you have a look through the old Development Diary updates, you'll find some images showing how they work. 

I got that from a guide. Im curious though is the normal default view the correct angle or do I move my virtual head so that metal slats on the sighr are level?

20 minutes ago, Sublime said:

I got that from a guide. Im curious though is the normal default view the correct angle or do I move my virtual head so that metal slats on the sighr are level?

You'll need to move your head position to ensure the slats are level. 

8 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Ah excellent. As usual you're the guy with the answers!  Yeah not Chucks guide but theres a BoX quick start guide and it details the iron sights.

2 hours ago, LukeFF said:

One of the IL2s has the same idea ie you need to raise your head to line up certain lines on the sight with lines on the cowling/