JonRedcorn

The downfall of the simulation community

Are you seriously proposing that modern day flight simulators available today don't make you think as much as F-19 Stealth Fighter, a "sim" based on a model airplane from the Testors Corporation? 

• Upvote 1

The more I read this forum the more I wonder why the movie Red Tails wasn't more popular.  It was the soap opera that so many in here seem to want. 

Online game forums probably did as much to kill the genre as anything.  On the airfield, people are brothers.  I talked to a Biker for Jesus who does volunteer machinist work on Wright-Cyclone engines for over an hour recently.  I would normally been sort of wary of him, because I'm a different sort of geek, but the shared interest overcame everything and we enjoyed each other's company very much.  That was real life, face-to-face.  Online, a common interest seems to spark as much rancor as camaraderie.  My personal opinion is that online forums attract more than their share of vicious, argumentative people who wouldn't say boo to you face-to-face but use the anonymity of the internet to work out their repressed aggression.  The arguing and insults in the IL2 forums reached a ridiculous level.  Dealing with that sort of person can dampen your enthusiasm for almost anything.  

• Upvote 4

but that problem is universal and n ot limited to flight sims :) In fact since flight sims tend to interest a adults more than teenagers the tone seems actually to be more civilized than on the average gaming forums

I think that people misunderstood a bit what LuseKofte was trying to say. It is not that BoX does not have bombers - it has definitely more flyable bombers than DCS, which does not have any flyable bombers, only CAS and strike aircraft in addition to fighters - but over the longer run BoX does not have interesting enough gameplay around bombers, for him. In that sense, what BoX is currently missing compared to some earlier titles, is team based (historical) multiplayer campaigns, like SEOW or SoW campaigns were in Il2 1946 and CloD. Without these the game, like any other game, could become repetitive over time and probably more so for a bomber guy than a fighter guy. Maybe the coming air marshal mode or Pat Wilson's coop campaign generator could bring more depth in that area to multiplayer gaming.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, II./JG77_Kemp said:

I think that people misunderstood a bit what LuseKofte was trying to say. It is not that BoX does not have bombers ... but over the longer run BoX does not have interesting enough gameplay around bombers, for him.

For me, that is the thing too.  Flying a bomber at the moment is like flying a sluggish single engine aircraft.  The crew are only there for decoration.

I can't ask a navigator for a heading, or have the bomb aimer guide me on the bomb run.  The gunners are blind commuters until the last few seconds of an attack.  There is no chatter, no feeling of being a part of a crew.  For me it is a one-man show that doesn't really deliver.  If bombers had a more active crew but only the was cockpit modelled for the player, I would see that as an improvement over the current setup.  Certainly a more immersive experience than we have now, where the player has to warp from one empty station to another to get things done.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, II./JG77_Kemp said:

In that sense, what BoX is currently missing compared to some earlier titles, is team based (historical) multiplayer campaigns, like SEOW or SoW campaigns were in Il2 1946 and CloD. 

I wouldn’t say that that’s the developer’s responsibility, though. At least to my knowledge, SEOW and SoW came from the community, not the developers.

Posted (edited)

S!

Not really productive to compare EAW technically to BoX. At the time EAW was on the market there was really no competition to it regarding immersion and all other things. Sure the graphics were dated compared to Jane´s WW2 Fighters, but for it´s time EAW was very good. Oleg´s L-2 raised the bar again, especially in numbers of players playing it and other things. It had a thriving comunity and still has a great deal of players. And there is no wonder why: content and ability to create something big without performance dropping to a crawl because AI and objects eat up all the power. BoX anyone?

BoX is graphically very nice. One can debate if DCS or BoX looks better inside planes, but models are very much equally well done. System modelling in DCS beats BoX hands down. No artificial timers after your engine blows etc. And with more planes coming to DCS WW2 module one can easily compare them to same planes in BoX and see if there is a difference to the way or another. I personally think a mix of DCS and BoX would make the best sim there is. But again both have their merits and that is why they are on my hard drive.

What has declined the community IMHO is that the average age of "pilots" has gone up. With age comes family, work and other RL responsibilities and activities. Just simply lack the time to play as much as before. Same happened to me, time is scarse now. And getting younger generation interested in a genre that has a relatively steep learning curve added with somewhat hefty hardware requirements can be a deterrent. Most games require only a mouse and keyboard. No need for throttles, sticks, pedals, tracking devices, VR etc. Money can be an issue like the learning curve. Another thing is the lack of instant gratification in flight sims. You do not get to be a virtual ace from the start. Frustration levels will go thru the roof before you get the hang of it. Turns away people with less patience.

And not to forget the community around flight sims. One of the hardest to please and very demanding + vocal. Personalities ranging from friendly to elitist pricks. Not as toxic as FPS games or DOTA communities, but a fair share of less than friendly attitudes at times. Another turnoff for many. Flight sim community should pull the rope in same direction, not apart. Every sim there is has a player base supporting a genre that is very small these days. All of them serve as a platform for varying needs each player has, which is a good thing. If there would be less snide remarks how sim X is better than Y and Z is total poop then things could improve. But no, there are always some individuals who have a holy mission to put "their" sim on a pedestal and worship devs to a fanatical level..and everything else made is bad. Way to go, another turnoff for a potent flight sim pilot..

TL;DR We need a more approachable community to get younger generation into flight sims, in any of them.

Edited by LLv34_Flanker
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Pb_Cybermat47 said:

I wouldn’t say that that’s the developer’s responsibility, though. At least to my knowledge, SEOW and SoW came from the community, not the developers.

Well, this thread is about the downfall of the community, after all ;)

I am not really saying whose fault it is or if it is a fault at all, I am just saying that this is one area that is missing in multiplayer compared to 1946 and CloD. As the devs are working with air marshal mode and supporting Pat's work, it seems that they are trying to bring this part closer to the community, though. and there are a couple of servers like TAW and Virtualpilots that are using campaign approach, so the hope is not lost that some day we will have something resembling SEOW or SoW in BoX, too.

On 4/12/2019 at 11:00 AM, LuseKofte said:

Now with max 80 players in a server , and small maps, you are basically dead meat if you do not fly the fastest airplane or have the newest tech for spotting. 

Yes indeed, when you fly bomber , it is basically a grind with no pleasure.

50 minutes ago, II./JG77_Kemp said:

but over the longer run BoX does not have interesting enough gameplay around bombers, for him. 

Yes, I totally agree

36 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

For me, that is the thing too.  Flying a bomber at the moment is like flying a sluggish single engine aircraft.  The crew are only there for decoration.

I can't ask a navigator for a heading, or have the bomb aimer guide me on the bomb run.  The gunners are blind commuters until the last few seconds of an attack.  There is no chatter, no feeling of being a part of a crew.

In the old Il2, I was a bomber pilot , I enjoyed it so much

What i liked with the old il2 is that the gunners handling was just right. Too much "realism" made using gunner position a grind.

It looks more realistic, but it is obviously bad in terms of gameplay & handling

This plus the fact that ia gunners spot enemy fighters at 1200 meters whereas human can spot bombers at 5 km.   

In addition, no new crew function you described so well @Feathered_IV

Luckily I can do transport with my beloved Junkers 52

2 hours ago, II./JG77_Kemp said:

I think that people misunderstood a bit what LuseKofte was trying to say. It is not that BoX does not have bombers - it has definitely more flyable bombers than DCS, which does not have any flyable bombers, only CAS and strike aircraft in addition to fighters - but over the longer run BoX does not have interesting enough gameplay around bombers, for him. In that sense, what BoX is currently missing compared to some earlier titles, is team based (historical) multiplayer campaigns, like SEOW or SoW campaigns were in Il2 1946 and CloD. Without these the game, like any other game, could become repetitive over time and probably more so for a bomber guy than a fighter guy. Maybe the coming air marshal mode or Pat Wilson's coop campaign generator could bring more depth in that area to multiplayer gaming.

Thank you. This is what I meant. 

I love the bombers and slow planes in this sim. I just see no point using them online. So I do not give critique to developers. Just the way servers play out. In DCS I got a fighting chance flying Harrier , SU25 and other dedicated aircrafts. I do love flying fnbf and organized server wars in gb though. Sorry for my bad English 

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

I can't ask a navigator for a heading, or have the bomb aimer guide me on the bomb run.  The gunners are blind commuters until the last few seconds of an attack.  There is no chatter, no feeling of being a part of a crew.  For me it is a one-man show that doesn't really deliver.  If bombers had a more active crew but only the was cockpit modelled for the player, I would see that as an improvement over the current setup.  Certainly a more immersive experience than we have now, where the player has to warp from one empty station to another to get things done.

EAW didn’t have any of that.  Same for the old IL2.  Which of the old games with great gameplay are you talking about?

Edited by BraveSirRobin

@Uninstalled 

I mean I assume the original Il2 started out with the intention of focusing on the Il2 in particular and doing that the best it could didn't it? ( I assume because I didn't know the first release of it).

Is said that game began to be developed to have only the IL-2 - but not modeled "in deep", the focus are more in "gameplay".

Then before the release (2001) was decided to add other planes*, which proved to be the correct option.

*Seems rushed, Bf 109 come with very poor cockpit textures.

6 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

The best aspect about flying bombers is also routinely bust; level-bombing can become a chore when the bombsight bugs out in a way that can only be repaired through a game restart, this is not an ideal solution when flying online or when you're forty minutes in to a flight. This issue has been reported for over a year now and hasn't had a single acknowledgement from the developers. To say that bomber pilots 'have it good' is disingenious, bomber pilots are routinely shafted in favour of their single-engine counterparts. I mean hell, it isn't even a real bombsight interface - Cliffs was superior in every way to BoX for the dedicated bomber pilot.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BraveSirRobin said:

EAW didn’t have any of that.  Same for the old IL2.  Which of the old games with great gameplay are you talking about?

I am sure he was talking about:

B17 the mighty 8th

The reference for true bomber gameplay. Never beaten

https://store.steampowered.com/app/328900/B17_Flying_Fortress_The_Mighty_8th/

Edited by Nil

As a young person who is in the home stretch of high school I will say this: not many people I know are interested in simulation flying. No it’s not because “half of us have autism or adhd”. It’s because (to be quite fair) it is an expensive hobby, not to mention the fact that it takes a lot of time, patience and practice to become quite good at the game. Plus the overall interest in aviation (more specifically ww2 era) in my generation is declining. Sure, there are still quite a few that appreciate aircraft, but they don’t pursue it the way we all do. Not saying young people don’t like sim games, but they do require a lot of time that quite a few of us don’t have. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nil said:

I am sure he was talking about:

B17 the mighty 8th

The reference for true bomber gameplay. Never beaten

https://store.steampowered.com/app/328900/B17_Flying_Fortress_The_Mighty_8th/

If someone developed another sim that featured a single aircraft you would probably get that sort of functionality.  This isn’t that sim.  And expecting that sort of functionality in a game with 30+ aircraft is pretty ridiculous.

It also doesn’t take too much imagination to figure out why no one else has done a game like that.

People tend to get be very narrow in their tastes.  If someone will only be satisfied flying a B-17 with a Norden bombsight, then I guess times have been pretty lean, and despite everything else, they'll percieve it as a "downfall" of their hobby.

I remember The Mighty Eighth.  I'd use massive time-compress to fast forward to the action, typically fighters near the coast of France.  Then I'd sit in a gunner position, and essentially play a shoot-em-up arcade game.  Then I'd fast forward again to the IP, and man the Norden.  It was pretty fun doing that.  And then after playing the game for maybe a couple of weeks, I moved on to something else.  In fact, that's how I remember almost all of the combat flight sims:  Play them for a relatively short period of time, and then go to the store, and find the next big thing.  For me, at least, none of those 'Golden Era' sims/games came anywhere close to the time used or longevity of the more modern-era flight sims like Sturmovik, RoF, DCS, and FSX.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

And expecting that sort of functionality in a game with 30+ aircraft is pretty ridiculous.

Not expecting that sort of functionality in a game with bombers is ridiculous (I am not talking about adding b17)

@Feathered_IV is talking about improving bomber gameplay  so more players will use them.

Is this ridiculous? to those who are not dedicated bombers pilot, it is I guess. Of course!

This is just my opinion, being a dedicated bomber pilot in the old Il2, but not on Bos because of this and anti aircraft guns too deadly.

To be clear, we are talking about that specific gameplay, which has to be done 1 time , and is generic for all bombers. (from Feathered_IV)

Edited by Nil
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nil said:

Is this ridiculous? 

Expecting features that were found in a game that focused on a single aircraft to be added to a game that simulates 30+ aircraft is definitely ridiculous.  This isn’t a B-17 sim, or even a bomber sim.  It’s a WW2 air combat sim.  That means you’re probably not going to see as much specialized functionality  that is only useful for a few aircraft.

I think the main cause of the downfall of combat flight sims is that much of the flight sim community doesn’t really enjoy playing flight sims.  I remember when they would release an update in RoF we would get a burst of activity on the MP servers.  It would last about 10 days.  Then the numbers would drop back down to normal.  Most of the community just wanted to try out the latest new aircraft.  Then they went back to whatever else that they preferred to do.

27 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

... or even a bomber sim.  It’s a WW2 air combat sim. 

In your humble opinion, what was the point in adding any of the bomber aircraft we have? Do you consider them a wasted investment?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

S!

Not really productive to compare EAW technically to BoX. At the time EAW was on the market there was really no competition to it regarding immersion and all other things. Sure the graphics were dated compared to Jane´s WW2 Fighters, but for it´s time EAW was very good. Oleg´s L-2 raised the bar again, especially in numbers of players playing it and other things. 

Absolutely - but he lowered the bar hugely with regard to immersion. Oleg basically completely disregarded this aspect.

EAW was still the high water mark in this regard unfortunately. Those briefings alone were fantastic.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Leifr said:

In your humble opinion, what was the point in adding any of the bomber aircraft we have? Do you consider them a wasted investment?

Are bomber aircraft not part of air combat?  I was under the impression that they are.

34 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

Expecting features that were found in a game that focused on a single aircraft to be added to a game that simulates 30+ aircraft is definitely ridiculous.  This isn’t a B-17 sim, or even a bomber sim.  It’s a WW2 air combat sim.  That means you’re probably not going to see as much specialized functionality  that is only useful for a few aircraft.

It is not about expectation, it is find ways to improve this game in terms of gameplay so more pilot will fly bombers .

If it is "ridiculous" as you said, then explain me why devs added many new functionalities for fighter like advanced gunsight, advanced flight model to handle high speed, paratroops...

The devs surprised us many times by adding new "ridiculous" functionalities that are only useful for a few aircraft.

Without even talking about "ridiculous" functionalities for tank crew to come.

I am glad they are doing "ridiculous" things, that is why I love and support their work. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think we look at things past with rose colored glasses.  I'll say something that some people are bound to disagree with: PWCG is way better than the Red Baron 3d campaign.  Why do I say this?  Because I spent hundreds of hours modding RB back in the day (Western Front Patch) and I saw the RB code.  IMHO I know the RB campaign better than most.  I loved that campaign and used it as the model for PWCG, but I am also very much aware of its flaws.  PWCG does much, much more (I will be happy to enumerate upon request).  I suspect the BoX campaign is also better.

With BoX we have have the best of both and more: scripted campaigns, two historical campaigns (BoX and PWCG) along with better graphics, better flight models, better everything.  The only thing lacking is the sheer number of different planes, and that is getting better all the time.

I am working on something that I don't think has ever been done before: a historical coop campaign.  It takes PWCG and allows a host to run a campaign with friends flying on all sides.  Great for inter squadron wars or just for fun with a limited group.

It is not impossible to see how this could expand to a free form online historic campaign, again, something that has never been done.

So no, I don't think that we are seeing the demise of flight sims.  What I do think is that BoX draws fewer players because it is just harder.  You can't just jump into the cockpit and start playing the way that you could with Red Baron or the Aces series.  I think that 1C could increase its customer base by offering an easy mode flight and damage model to bring in more casual players, but acknowledge that that would be a hell of a lot of work.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Nil said:

It is not about expectation

Yes, it clealy is about expectations.  He clearly expected that stuff, and it’s not there.  Expecting that stuff was more than a little ridiculous.  That was a dedicated bomber sim.  This isn’t.  I’m sure it would be nice if they could add all those feature, but you probably should not hold your breath waiting for that.  Because this isn’t a dedicated bomber sim.

People is not confusing the subject? - or OP change the tittle, the topic is about:

"The downfall of the simulation community"

What is true - the "community" continues shrinking, fragmenting over the years.

Despite "Combat Flight Simulation games" genre continue to perform relatively well. ;)

I agree that better interaction with bomber crew will add motivation for bomber pilots - don't need be something like Might Eight, but more talk through radio comm.

Some additional functions for crew was planed for CloD - but since their "radio" come all broken on "release", most of commands was "sweep under the rug" by patches.

Example, work for navigator.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gambit21 said:

Absolutely - but he lowered the bar hugely with regard to immersion. Oleg basically completely disregarded this aspect.

EAW was still the high water mark in this regard unfortunately. Those briefings alone were fantastic.

I hear that Spielberg’s Mighty Eighth will be nothing but briefings.  The immersions will be off the charts!

1 hour ago, PatrickAWlson said:

So no, I don't think that we are seeing the demise of flight sims.  What I do think is that BoX draws fewer players because it is just harder.  You can't just jump into the cockpit and start playing the way that you could with Red Baron or the Aces series.  I think that 1C could increase its customer base by offering an easy mode flight and damage model to bring in more casual players, but acknowledge that that would be a hell of a lot of work.

Actually, there are three settings in the Realism screen that provide an easy mode flight model:

• Simplified physics
  • Simplified controls
  • Rudder assist

Plus there are a few more assists for gunnery, bombing, and engine control, in addition to mouse control. I suppose it's a matter of promoting these features and running casual servers that allow them all.

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JimTM said:

Actually, there are three settings in the Realism screen that provide an easy mode flight model:

• Simplified physics
  • Simplified controls
  • Rudder assist

Plus there are a few more assists for gunnery, bombing, and engine control, in addition to mouse control. I suppose it's a matter of promoting these features and running casual servers that allow them all.

Cheers!

Yes but mouse control doesn't work very well and thus isn't fun unfortunately. But yes - the options are there. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, BraveSirRobin said:

Expecting that stuff was more than a little ridiculous.  

11 hours ago, Nil said:

If it is "ridiculous" as you said, then explain me why devs added many new functionalities for fighter like advanced gunsight, advanced flight model to handle high speed, paratroops...

I am wasting my time?

Ok it seems obviously we are not able to communicate efficiently. 

You use a value judgement currently, so I can do the same by stating seeing expectations as "ridiculous" is ridiculous.

I got what  @Feathered_IV  wanted to say. we all stated our opinions , I leave it here with you.

11 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

What I do think is that BoX draws fewer players because it is just harder.

I feel this is one of the reason, with the one @angus26 said, and of course others people.

I sincerely hope for the best in the future for our community (more players) and our franchise (more functionalities)

Edited by Nil
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Nil said:

Ok it seems obviously we are not able to communicate efficiently. 

You use a value judgement currently, so I can do the same by stating seeing expectations as "ridiculous" is ridiculous.

Yes, I used a value judgement based on the current apparent state of flight sim economics.  There are very few developers and their resources appear to be very limited.  So it's simply not realistic to expect a lot.  Your value judgement appears to be little more than random words strung together based on what you want the developers to do.

Posted (edited)

Hello chaps.

A tuppence of thoughts:

If we shift our gaze off the flight sim issue and have a bit of long look at

other stuff out there in the rest of the world we may, in fact, see a bit of a similar trend.

Take the local air rifle club:

one actual member turned up to shoot and the club has had to amalgamate

with the small bore club to make up numbers.

RC plane club... in decline.

Tramping club... not as healthy as it used to be.

Hang gliding? Non existent.

Bowling clubs (Lawn) gone to seed.

etc etc.

I have no idea what the deal is, I could presume that fads change,

and that all of these things are governed by the laws of fashion etc.

Arguing about the micro management of the player base etc is really just

ignoring the general trend across the board.

Situations are subject to change.

and the things that made some certain situations so special

may not be repeated, the perfect storm of forces was unique and you just

had to be there in person.

and it is possible that these flight sims we have now maybe the last of their kind.

( I think deadstick is behind schedule...?)

A good question to ask is : what are people doing ? 

We have no shortage of them at the moment....

Anyway, sorry to interrupt the bun fight and don't mind me as I am off to mend

my tent so I can go irl camping. ( Water proofing. )

S!

Planky.

Edited by Plank
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Plank said:

Hello chaps.

A tuppence of thoughts:

If we shift our gaze off the flight sim issue and have a bit of long look at

other stuff out there in the rest of the world we may, in fact, see a bit of a similar trend.

Take the local air rifle club:

one actual member turned up to shoot and the club has had to amalgamate

with the small bore club to make up numbers.

RC plane club... in decline.

Tramping club... not as healthy as it used to be.

Hang gliding? Non existent.

Bowling clubs (Lawn) gone to seed.

etc etc.

I have no idea what the deal is, I could presume that fads change,

and that all of these things are governed by the laws of fashion etc.

Arguing about the micro management of the player base etc is really just

ignoring the general trend across the board.

Situations are subject to change.

and the things that made some certain situations so special

may not be repeated, the perfect storm of forces was unique and you just

had to be there in person.

and it is possible that these flight sims we have now maybe the last of their kind.

( I think deadstick is behind schedule...?)

A good question to ask is : what are people doing ? 

We have no shortage of them at the moment....

Anyway, sorry to interrupt the bun fight and don't mind me as I am off to mend

my tent so I can go irl camping. ( Water proofing. )

S!

Planky.

Probably because most young people are doing drugs, staring at their cell phones, and posting on instabook or whatever. Who has time to have a real hobby anymore when you can be vapid douche on the internet that relishes upvotes and likes.

• Upvote 6

47 minutes ago, JonRedcorn said:

Who has time to have a real hobby anymore when you can be vapid douche on the internet that relishes upvotes and likes.

I felt like I had to give you an Upvote on that sentence.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, JonRedcorn said:

Probably because most young people are doing drugs, staring at their cell phones, and posting on instabook or whatever. Who has time to have a real hobby anymore when you can be vapid douche on the internet that relishes upvotes and likes.

I agree. But at the same time I viewed the boomers I grew up around as brain-dead-evangelical-TV-watching-obese-alcoholics.

I've been sober for 6 years and off of social media for over a year. And I never carry a cell on me. 

I used to be the person you described. 

3 minutes ago, SeaSerpent said:

84942633.png.35087d965297e228627126f5e5cadcd3.png

38 minutes ago, SeaSerpent said:

Yep, and I also gave you an up-vote for your up-vote.

• Upvote 2

I’m 19, and yeah, I feel my generation places too much value on being validated by the internet. The internet is really a double-edged sword.

1 minute ago, Gambit21 said:

That upvote for an upvote deserves an upvote.

I'm feeling a cascade of up-voting but apparently I've used all of my up-votes for the day.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

I managed to bypass xyz and give you an up vote for the upvote you gave to the person who gave him an upvote.

It felt good!

S!

P

Edited by Plank