Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I used the Oculus Rift for a few years and it was always a solid performer but decided I needed to upgrade.

I purchased a 5K+ and was very disappointed with the performance when making my initial trials and seriously considered selling it on ebay..

I had IPD problems, face cushion problems, sweet spot problems, clarity wasn't up to the Rift, etc etc however the wide FOV was always good and no noticeable  SDE.

I posted requests for help both on IL2 and DCS forums, read many-many previous posts on 5K+ recommended settings, complaints to PIMAX and then downloaded and made adjustments in the Beta Version of PITOOL (Important), made some new 3D settings in the Nvidea control Panel and updated my drivers.   It took several frustrating days of making adjustments but worth it.

I have finally got the 5K+ looking and performing beautifully, clarity is probably 2X+ my Rift, smooth running on Ultra setting in IL2 graphics, the FOV is a absolute game changer, and I am 

 now really happy with my PIMAX 5K+.

 

MY Rig i7-7700K, GTX 1080TI, 32 Gigs

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, fiddlinjim said:

I used the Oculus Rift for a few years and it was always a solid performer but decided I needed to upgrade.

I purchased a 5K+ and was very disappointed with the performance when making my initial trials and seriously considered selling it on ebay..

I had IPD problems, face cushion problems, sweet spot problems, clarity wasn't up to the Rift, etc etc however the wide FOV was always good and no noticeable  SDE.

I posted requests for help both on IL2 and DCS forums, read many-many previous posts on 5K+ recommended settings, complaints to PIMAX and then downloaded and made adjustments in the Beta Version of PITOOL (Important), made some new 3D settings in the Nvidea control Panel and updated my drivers.   It took several frustrating days of making adjustments but worth it.

I have finally got the 5K+ looking and performing beautifully, clarity is probably 2X+ my Rift, smooth running on Ultra setting in IL2 graphics, the FOV is a absolute game changer, and I am 

 now really happy with my PIMAX 5K+.

 

MY Rig i7-7700K, GTX 1080TI, 32 Gigs

 

did you change anything in the color saturation department? Or contrast?

I tried the 121 beta pitools yesterday. It has contrast/brightness adjusters, but it doesn't even come close to color richness with vivepro. Are there some other tools/tweaks on top of pitools you did?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wish I could run ultra in il2 in VR, hell I wish I could my odyssey microphone to work in windows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, -99th-moosya said:

 

did you change anything in the color saturation department? Or contrast?

I tried the 121 beta pitools yesterday. It has contrast/brightness adjusters, but it doesn't even come close to color richness with vivepro. Are there some other tools/tweaks on top of pitools you did?

 

 

I cannot offer a valid opinion on comparing or achieving any color saturation or richness level for the Vive or Vive Pro as I have never used a Vive.

However, none of the changes I made to any of the established settings (Pitool Beta, IL2 Graphics, DCS Graphics, 3D Nvidea) referred to a color saturation adjustment,

in fact I never encountered any user adjustments anywhere that described any form of color variation.   

Pitool Beta is the only setup that I found offering a contrast or brightness adjustment. 

My Il2, DCS colors seem to be satisfactory and approximately the same intensity level when using  the Rift or the 5K+.

 

 

Edited by fiddlinjim
left out info
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, fiddlinjim said:

made some new 3D settings in the Nvidea control Panel

 

Just curious, what did you touch in the Nvidia Control Panel?

 

Also, what Rendering quality and what SteamVR SS are you using?

 

Congrats with your achievement. Large FOV is nice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

chiliwili69

Here are the setting I changed to for the Nvidea 3D Panel, just make sure you record the existing settings before you change in the event you have to revert back.

Anisotropic filtering - App Controlled
(MFAA) - On
Power Management - Max Performance
Preferred refresh rate - Highest Available
shader cache - on
texture filtering Anisotropic sample optimization - off
texture filtering Negative LOD bias- Clamp
texture filtering quality - High Quality (Not Max Performance)
texture filtering trilinear optimization - on
threaded optimization - Auto
triple buffering - off
vertical sync - off

I use the PITOOL Beta rendering of 1 and Steam VR setting of 1.25

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2019 at 9:57 PM, fiddlinjim said:

chiliwili69

Here are the setting I changed to for the Nvidea 3D Panel, just make sure you record the existing settings before you change in the event you have to revert back.

Anisotropic filtering - App Controlled
(MFAA) - On
Power Management - Max Performance
Preferred refresh rate - Highest Available
shader cache - on
texture filtering Anisotropic sample optimization - off
texture filtering Negative LOD bias- Clamp
texture filtering quality - High Quality (Not Max Performance)
texture filtering trilinear optimization - on
threaded optimization - Auto
triple buffering - off
vertical sync - off

I use the PITOOL Beta rendering of 1 and Steam VR setting of 1.25

 

 

Very impressive,  is that right you getting 170 degree wide with Ultra and the above settings on a 7700K and a 1080Ti ?

I cannot see Preferred refresh rate - Highest Available   in Nvidia setting and what have you for the Virtual reality pre-rendered frames at the bottom of the  ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, the large FOV doesn't display satisfactorily on my rig.    I use only normal FOV. 

The settings were established for a Vive and I found them in the DCS forum, the setting for Preferred Refresh Rate may have been dropped by Nvidea.

VR reality pre-rendered frames is defaulted at 1.    One You Tube "expert" I watched stated it should be set at 3 and when I tried it everything got really fouled up.   I reverted back to one, did a restart and things got back to normal 

That is the reason I suggested to record your original settings.

Let me know if you found the new settings beneficial, they helped me significantly.

I just upped the Pitool rendering  setting to 1.25 and will watch that for a few days to see if I really like it.

My only real issue remaining is that all to frequently I have a problem getting my Vive sensor to see the Pimax HMD and suddenly for no

apparent reason it begins to work just fine.   Have you noticed this to be a problem and if not, what procedure do you use to activate

the sensor??

I understand that there is a method to put the HMD to sleep with all settings but haven't got that figured out yet?     

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/7/2019 at 2:54 PM, fiddlinjim said:

 

I cannot offer a valid opinion on comparing or achieving any color saturation or richness level for the Vive or Vive Pro as I have never used a Vive.

However, none of the changes I made to any of the established settings (Pitool Beta, IL2 Graphics, DCS Graphics, 3D Nvidea) referred to a color saturation adjustment,

in fact I never encountered any user adjustments anywhere that described any form of color variation.   

Pitool Beta is the only setup that I found offering a contrast or brightness adjustment. 

My Il2, DCS colors seem to be satisfactory and approximately the same intensity level when using  the Rift or the 5K+.

 

 

So what are your pitool settings, are you using SM ? and what fps you achiving at Kuban map and Stalingrad ?

I have Strix RTX 2080TI OC / i7 8700k OC and playing at medium settings with AA off, distance render 70km,  sharpness filter, pitool 1.25, 72 hz mode , FFR off , SM off , Steam VR 60 %, and achiving mostly stable 72 fps in Single player , sometimes at Kuban forest my fps dips to 62 when flying at low alt.

Edited by TWHYata_PL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, fiddlinjim said:

No, the large FOV doesn't display satisfactorily on my rig.    I use only normal FOV. 

The settings were established for a Vive and I found them in the DCS forum, the setting for Preferred Refresh Rate may have been dropped by Nvidia.

VR reality pre-rendered frames is defaulted at 1.    One You Tube "expert" I watched stated it should be set at 3 and when I tried it everything got really fouled up.   I reverted back to one, did a restart and things got back to normal 

That is the reason I suggested to record your original settings.

Let me know if you found the new settings beneficial, they helped me significantly.

I just upped the Pitool rendering  setting to 1.25 and will watch that for a few days to see if I really like it.

My only real issue remaining is that all to frequently I have a problem getting my Vive sensor to see the Pimax HMD and suddenly for no

apparent reason it begins to work just fine.   Have you noticed this to be a problem and if not, what procedure do you use to activate

the sensor??

I understand that there is a method to put the HMD to sleep with all settings but haven't got that figured out yet?     

 

Following Sweviver's settings I put VR reality pre-rendered frames at 3, I have not tried 1 yet. Everyone has that problem with the headset being reported asleep with a vive base station. I will try your setting later when I get time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2019 at 10:12 PM, fiddlinjim said:

smooth running on Ultra setting in IL2 graphics

 

90fps everywhere or you are one of those who don't use fps meter but feel it's smooth?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...