Nibbio

Found a way to adjust world scale in IL2

Posted (edited)

If, like me, you thought the cockpits were a bit too cramped in IL2, this is how you can adjust world scale in any steamVR app:

start steamVR
open this link in your browser http://localhost:8998/console/index.html
input the following line:
settings steamvr.ipdOffset -0.015
quit steamVR and start it again

Fire up IL2 and enjoy the new world scale, where gauges are easier to read and the sides of the BF109 cockpit are not cutting into your shoulders...

Note: the offset I use is -15mm (-0.015 is actually the offset value in meters). Of course you can use a positive offset if you prefer a smaller world scale.
I have an Oculus Rift and this is what feels right for me. DCS has an adjustable world scale (IPD) in its options, and there the scale looks right for me if I use 45.

Edited by Nibbio
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Since it's not a mod, it works perfectly also in multiplayer; I just checked by logging into an expert server and having a short flight.

Coolest thing about it is that there's so much more room to swing my head about without bumping into the sides of the cockpit 😎

One last thing: the setting is permanent and it will be set for all steamVR applications.

If you want to revert to the default setting, just proceed as above but input 0 as the IDP offset.

Edited by Nibbio

3dmigoto mod (without mods on) allows you to do it as well. It's fun to set it up so wide that mc202 appears like a jumbo jet from the inside.. 😄

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, -99th-moosya said:

3dmigoto mod (without mods on) allows you to do it as well. It's fun to set it up so wide that mc202 appears like a jumbo jet from the inside.. 😄

Didn't know that! I just checked Lefuneste's post and he writes about an IPD modifier, but couldn't figure out how it works? He says it's not to be modified?

; xshift for defaut IPD like modifier (not to be modified)
x6 = 0.0

Edited by Nibbio

55 minutes ago, Nibbio said:

Didn't know that! I just checked Lefuneste's post and he writes about an IPD modifier, but couldn't figure out how it works? He says it's not to be modified?

it's in a different file  "user_keymapping_zoom.ini"

[Key8]
;Global Shift toogle
; Key = ALT no_shift no_ctrl VK_LEFT
Key = ALT no_shift no_ctrl VK_DELETE
type = cycle
; modify here the first value for global shift
x6 = 0.008, 0.0

The 0.008 makes it look like a Jumbo Jet in my VivePro. I had to drop it to 0.003 to get a realistic scale. 😄

Why is my question? 

VR is meant to be a representation of what it was like 1 to 1 scale of flying these birds.  Why would you want to alter that representation to distort the scale of that?  Is this just a case of Supersize Me crossing over into VR gaming?  Are not the VVS and American aircraft cockpits not big enough as they were for you?

Sure the German cockpits were tight but their fighters were sort of like gloves and the average person wasn't that big those days. \

Are you really just dreaming of flying a Boeing 737 Max with guns attached??? You don't need guns in those to get kills 😁

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, blitze said:

Why is my question? 

VR is meant to be a representation of what it was like 1 to 1 scale of flying these birds.  Why would you want to alter that representation to distort the scale of that?  Is this just a case of Supersize Me crossing over into VR gaming?  Are not the VVS and American aircraft cockpits not big enough as they were for you?

Sure the German cockpits were tight but their fighters were sort of like gloves and the average person wasn't that big those days. \

Are you really just dreaming of flying a Boeing 737 Max with guns attached??? You don't need guns in those to get kills 😁

I realized that the scale as it appeared in my Oculus Rift was slightly wrong, certainly not 1 to 1 scale, more like 0.8. 

I wouldn't have been able to fit in a Macchi or 109 cockpit built at that scale. I have a pretty good idea of the real size, I was able to see a Macchi cockpit from up close in a museum.

IL2 made the little mistake to base the world scale on the user IPD (interpupillary distance), as reported by your headset from steamVR, therefore the world scale is different for each IPD. The larger your IPD the smaller the world appears.

It's generally not a very big difference, but it's rather noticeable if you are a large person, with an above average IPD (IPD in adult males varies from 50 to 70, mine is 66).

On the other hand if you are a smallish person, the world appears bigger and everything feels ok.

Hope you enjoyed this teaching moment 😎

BTW what's your IPD? 🤣

Edited by Nibbio

Mines 66.4

I would have myself a cramped time in a 109 cockpit.  Didn't realise that Il2 took IPD info from SteamVR to calculate world scale.  Would have thought one size fits all so we get 1 to 1 representation regardless of IPD, height, or magic fairy dust. ;)

14 minutes ago, blitze said:

Didn't realise that Il2 took IPD info from SteamVR to calculate world scale.  Would have thought one size fits all so we get 1 to 1 representation regardless of IPD, height, or magic fairy dust. ;)

Open the text file startup.cfg, in your folder IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data.

There is an entry "or_ipd =" which in  your case should be about 0.06640 (66.4 mm).

You can try to change it manually but it will inevitably be overwritten by steamVR, so it's useless.

However with the trick above now startup.cfg reports or_ipd = 0.05089 in my game.

• Like 1

Oculus Rift felt 1 to 1 scale, I compared it flying the 109 removing the headset and looking at the size of the VKB joystick grip replica of the 109 I had.

Odyssey+ and Vive Pro felt more like 90% scale and I used 3D Migoto mod to modify the IPD and get a 1 to 1 scale.

Posted (edited)

Well I gave it a shot.  Spose the kicker is when landed and seeing people walking around your plane, they look more normal size, that and the joystick handle.

Strange that world scale would be dictated by IPD setting and on reflection, I would now understand when in the Pimax forum there was a post on World Scale being to big.  I didn't read it but must visit it and see if it was from a small IPD user.

Your setting helped, thanks and it doesn't make the cockpit huge but does make instruments easier to read and outside objects easier to spot.

Is this change a permanent one for SteamVR of is it something that has to be tweaked everytime you fire up VR or when there are updates to SteamVR??

Edited by blitze
question afterthought

Posted (edited)

It seems to be permanent and work for all SteamVR applications. Don't know what happens when there are updates to SteamVR.

If you want to go back to the default setting, just proceed as above but input 0 as the IDP offset.

Oculus Rift felt 1 to 1 scale, I compared it flying the 109 removing the headset and looking at the size of the VKB joystick grip replica of the 109 I had.

So far there's no pilot body in the cockpit view in IL2, but if you get up from the chair and move a couple of feet away, a 3d pilot is rendered inside the cockpit and you can check his size.

Before the change the pilot looked like a child, now it looks like a proper adult 🙂

Edited by Nibbio

I set 0.50 in the game's config file, ran the game, wow! Came out of the game, checked the file and it had set itself back to 0.69 (I have 70mm IPD). I left it, went back into the game, cockpit was still at 0.50. I've no idea how/why it appears to be ignoring the config file, maybe a PC re-start will jiggle it back but if not, win. :)

I'm using Open Composite however, not Steam-VR.

1 hour ago, Uffz-Prien said:

I set 0.50 in the game's config file, ran the game, wow! Came out of the game, checked the file and it had set itself back to 0.69 (I have 70mm IPD). I left it, went back into the game, cockpit was still at 0.50. I've no idea how/why it appears to be ignoring the config file, maybe a PC re-start will jiggle it back but if not, win. :)

I'm using Open Composite however, not Steam-VR.

How does it feel with IPD at 0.50? Do you agree it looks more realistic?

I kind of have an idea of how it should be from watching in-cockpit cams of real 109s being flown. The cockpit was known to be small, even relative to the average size of pilots back then (quite small). So, I see the real pilot's shoulders and it's a snug fit across the width of the cockpit. With mine now at 0.50 the shoulder-fit feels accurate but I'm 6' 5" and if my height is somehow scaled to a ratio of IPD = probable stature in the software (no idea if it does that but Oculus setup knows my standing height and IPD) I'm thinking the instrument panel is somewhat over-size now. Maybe, however, I've 'miniaturised' myself with 0.50 and somebody 5' 6" would perceive the panel as that much bigger. Lol. I doubt it though.

I'm happy with it, it stops my head going through the canopy so often.

Isn't it great that we can simulate being short and skinny young men of the 40s rather than tall and lumbering baby boomers 😉

7 hours ago, Nibbio said:

Isn't it great that we can simulate being short and skinny young men of the 40s rather than tall and lumbering baby boomers 😉

Just fly the P-47 and you’ll be fine 😄

On 4/6/2019 at 12:16 PM, Nibbio said:

settings steamvr.ipdOffset -0.015

I tried steamvr.ipdOffset -0.02 tonight.  Now things are looking more to full scale.  Stick, switches, pedals, engines in the case of Pe2, guy behind me.

I suppose I sacrifice some FOV and maybe it is such that world scale is smaller to accommodate narrow FOV headsets.  Now though I don't feel like I am sitting in a Hobbit Scaled World.  I should go Low settings on Il2 Graphics and open up the 8K to Large FOV and see how that is.

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, blitze said:

I tried steamvr.ipdOffset -0.02 tonight.  Now things are looking more to full scale.  Stick, switches, pedals, engines in the case of Pe2, guy behind me.

I suppose I sacrifice some FOV and maybe it is such that world scale is smaller to accommodate narrow FOV headsets.  Now though I don't feel like I am sitting in a Hobbit Scaled World.  I should go Low settings on Il2 Graphics and open up the 8K to Large FOV and see how that is.

Hell I'd run low preset myself if we could use the high clouds on it. There's just no good performance to be had on the high preset, been trying again tonight to tweak the settings and just can't get anything I am happy with on high preset. Really I think with the higher resolution screens anti aliasing is even more important because you can see so well that the jagged edges stick out much more than on my rift. Wish I wasn't a graphics whore.

Edited by JonRedcorn

2 hours ago, blitze said:

Had an interesting discussion about world scale with an IL2 dev over on the steam forum, check it out https://steamcommunity.com/app/307960/discussions/0/1813170373224566380/

Posted (edited)

I have a RIFT and must say I find the scale to be very accurate with IPD adjusted as by my optometrist measurement. I also don't use Steam VR viewer but Open Composite instead which might be an explanation. Judging by the photos and also by my own VR cockpit it looks and feels very good.pilot2.thumb.JPG.9be1d756f4dd56e64c91cfbfce623325.JPGvery good.1971895266_FW190-A3-14fs.jpg.8c08925eb580277310323f7855f0dbf2.jpgred7-pit-735x413.jpg.9905891603ba9bcc8dc7dd3bef1aa013.jpg

Edited by Goblin

Looks about right.  I measure approx 18 inches shoulder to shoulder but with winter woollies I could imagine it would be a tight fit in the 109 with canope width as mentioned by the developer at 22 to 23 inches.

Also Pe2 control column and engines look more to size at -0.02 for me. Still a little small, the steerer on the control column is for my hands but they are quite large but not ridiculously small.  The engines also look like something that puts out decent power.  Seems to be something SteamVR related, I launch Il2 from PiTool but it uses SteamVR for its VR compositor.  Anyway, had fun flying online Knights Server last night and decent world scale makes a difference.  Just might lower the Graphics and up the FOV to 170.  I also need to check if this reduces pop-in on the sides of the headset when viewing other aircraft as that was a problem also before.  20 to 30 degrees FOV from the side edges on the RHS other aircraft would not be visible.

A recent SteamVR update seems to render this console command void but - worldscale seems to be accurate now.

I tested various values in console with an exit and then restart of SteamVR then Il2 and all values led to the same worldscale sizing.

Happy now - consistency and accuracy is important and why I wanted to get into VR in the first place - to have 1 to 1 scaling visually as well as being far sighted - VR is easier on my eyes than a monitor. 👍

Are you guys sure it works? It does not work for me. SteamVR returns this line:

Tue Apr 23 2019 13:24:09.493 - [Console] settings steamvr.ipdOffset -0.015
Tue Apr 23 2019 13:24:09.494 - [Console] steamvr.ipdOffset: -0.015000
Tue Apr 23 2019 13:24:09.499 - [Settings] Save Json Settings to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\steamvr.vrsettings

I did it, repeatedly, in the right order, double checking. Exiting SteamVR, WMR, restarting PC. But it does not pull it.

startup.cfg still reports the old hardware IPD, and world size does not change.

I am using a WMR Samsung Odyssey. "SteamVR[beta]" and "Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR[beta]".

45 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Are you guys sure it works? It does not work for me. SteamVR returns this line:

blitze above says a recent update to SteamVR has rendered the console command void, but that worldscale now seems correct.

I'm away from my PC and haven't played BOS for some time so I wouldn't know.

Checked again.

The worldscale in the Odyssey is incorrect. It can be fixed by CTRL+F search for x6 in file "il-2 sturmovik battle of stalingrad\bin\game\d3dx.ini" file. Change x6 = 0.006. Bam. Proper world scale in Odyssey. Will update the sticky thread later.

Blitze is using PiTool = Pimax! So he is using a different headset with different world scale.

Just launched the game, steamvr updated, and worldscale is still just as I wanted it.

In my installation startup.cfg still says or_ipd = 0.05078, as it was after I input an ipd offset of -15 mm.

I used 3dmigoto's mod for it now. In d3dx.ini I put x6 = 0.005. In the Odyssey (OG), scale looks right now. I used the d3dx.ini so that I didn't always need to call a keybind on start-up!

I currently have steam SS set to 90%.  Increasing it makes the gages clearer and easier to read, but the wing of the plane then appears too small.  I was thinking that this world scale might be a way to compensate for the size reduction.  Does that make sense, i.e. increase steam SS then adjust world scale to get it back to what appears real size?

Just when I thought this had great potential, it appears to not work.  The localhost link doesn't work.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Schmehl said:

Just when I thought this had great potential, it appears to not work.  The localhost link doesn't work.

I just checked, http://localhost:8998/console/index.html  works for me. You just need to have steamvr open.

As for SS, can't really see the link between supersampling and world scale. They are totally different things, and SS shouldn't have any influence on world scale. 😳

Edited by Nibbio

Does this still work? I cant find any x6= in the file of the Migoto mod? Do I have to add the line myself?

2 hours ago, 9./JG27DefaultFace said:

Does this still work? I cant find any x6= in the file of the Migoto mod? Do I have to add the line myself?

Hello, there is a new way to setup zoom and "IPD like" convergence. Have a look in the first post of the 3dmigoto thread.

50 minutes ago, lefuneste said:

Hello, there is a new way to setup zoom and "IPD like" convergence. Have a look in the first post of the 3dmigoto thread.

I read through that, but its not entirely clear to me what it is? I guess zoom is VR zoom obviously but IPD convergence is world scale?

2 hours ago, 9./JG27DefaultFace said:

I read through that, but its not entirely clear to me what it is? I guess zoom is VR zoom obviously but IPD convergence is world scale?

more cockpit scale than world scale.

48 minutes ago, lefuneste said:

more cockpit scale than world scale.

Ok... Thanks for the clarification. Ill play around with it. Great mod btw. Really improves IL-2 in VR IMO.

this might of been answered by i didnt see it..  i just got a Samsung odyssey plus and im in a tiny ww2 plane lol... i cant figure out how to get it to a normal size... please help