Jump to content
Sublime

Learning the P40 thread..

Recommended Posts

Yes Ive watched the vids.  Ive gotten some kills.

No NONE in MP despite a few hrs tooling around (not in a p40, 109 and la5.. I suck at spotting)

So back to career mode and practicing on mp too.  However I wanna improve my collection but have to wait till my financial situations better..that said I can fly the Yak and Mig3 fine. Get kills. Etc. Same with 109 Fw La5.  I havent really messed with the other planes. Im terrivle at ground attack.

I keep going back to the P40 because.. Its a challenge. Im American.. And I fell in love with this female player flting it online pulling off the greatwst aerial gunnery shots Ive seen in awhile.

Heres the thing. Even setting RPM at 80% most the time, even being easy on the throttle and watching the temps, being mindful the manifold can creep all that first of all I noticed in Russian planes I do soo much better canopy open. This feels. Cheap often though. Second the P40.  The engine blows up wifth no warning sometimes.  Sometimes the perfotmance gets so laughably bad... 

I know practice practice and more practice but what am I missing thats so obvious? 

Also Im interested to hear the argument why some feel its nerfed. Fuel, timers, what? Im waryof asking - knowing whats under the hood can take away the magic - some was lost anyways thoufh as soon as I heard timers so let me hear it please.

This is important to me especiallt if the P39 and P47 have similar issues. The 39 I could write off too but if the P47 is having major problems with the engine being waaaay underperforming versus real life Id really like to know so I dont invest in US a/c as much as it pains me 

This is what I wonder though. How legit is this gripe? No matter how nerfed some stuff is some people will always pwn. But often things are heavily exagerrated and really it just comes down to practice.

So i ask you guys which is it? I can see it being totally outclassed by Kuban, heck even Stalingrad versus FWs.. But 109 E7s and F2s? Nothing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
Quote

 Even setting RPM at 80% most the time,

That's the reason your engine explodes.

Most of the time engine RPM is 2600 RPM (70%) and MP below 40 "Hg

Edited by =362nd_FS=RoflSeal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also by your question.

 The p40 is faster than the 109 e7 at low alt, and manouvering is arguably also better. Just don't try to climb if at same relative Energy status (speed).

Also you should read about the p40 throttle, if you lose altitude, the MP Will rise, also if you use higer RPM, the MP will rise, cupled with short times at combat and emergency power can lead to destroying your engine...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, =362nd_FS=RoflSeal said:

That's the reason your engine explodes.

Most of the time engine RPM is 2600 RPM (70%) and MP below 40 "Hg

No.. I agree but for me 80 percent rpm is 2600 its not hitting the 3k setting.  Im well aware of the green lines in the manifold setting, im also well aware you can exceed it for short times.

Thanks but no Im not that n00bish - not trying to sound snarky - the questions deeper or something else Im missing..

Plus what about the quotes from Soviet pilots that theyd have been slaughtered using the US manuals guidelines?

So is this purely practice?  What about my question about whether the plane is nerfed?  I dont mean total opinion wise -is it nerfed or just so totally hopeless to fly its pointless. (And it was outdated but this wasnt a total washout - successes were had)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The plane works if you bring at least a wingman with you, otherwise you're gonna have a real hard time lonewolfing It.

About the engine breaking... The p40 doesnt like sudden changes of throtlle, you go from 0% to 100 or the other way around you can also break the engine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other reason of the fragile engine syndrome in the P-40E is the sluggish prop pitch governor. The P-39L has a very similar (or the same) one and it lags...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, Sublime said:

No.. I agree but for me 80 percent rpm is 2600 its not hitting the 3k setting.  Im well aware of the green lines in the manifold setting, im also well aware you can exceed it for short times.

Thanks but no Im not that n00bish - not trying to sound snarky - the questions deeper or something else Im missing..

Plus what about the quotes from Soviet pilots that theyd have been slaughtered using the US manuals guidelines?

So is this purely practice?  What about my question about whether the plane is nerfed?  I dont mean total opinion wise -is it nerfed or just so totally hopeless to fly its pointless. (And it was outdated but this wasnt a total washout - successes were had)

the 2600 rpm is around 73%max 74% not 80%. With those 73% / 2600 Rpm you can push the manifold pressure to max without the instant engine blowing (and keep it there for 2-3 minutes at least. if you are exceeding those 2600 rpm you can do it for only 15 20 miuntes without engine damage.

 

AnywayP40 is quite nice and i like it very much, You need just to know its strenghts. The best solution is to use its good high speed turning rate - it doesnt lock up as 109., so low yoyos are your friend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sublime, open the mission briefing, default key "o" for oscar and click on the specification tab. You can read a lot of interesting info about the plane you are flying, but of particular importance is the Prop RPM and Manifold pressure settings for Nominal, Combat, and Emergency conditions of flight.

The American birds are less forgiving to engine abuse, because they did not have a governor to restrict the maximum available boost, so at low altitudes it is easy to wreck the engine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Sublime said:

Plus what about the quotes from Soviet pilots that theyd have been slaughtered using the US manuals guidelines?

So is this purely practice?  What about my question about whether the plane is nerfed?

 

Russians were scraping engines at rate about 50h per one. In the US manuals you have settings which ensure that it will last about 500h between overhauls. To answer the "nerf" question is: kind of... - current modeling is too strict in some respects; that's is definitely true. Still, you can do fine the P-40E as long you keep your energy up and avoid getting slow and low like a plague.

Edited by Ehret

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

P-40E is a 1941 aircraft, compare its weight to its contemporaries with similar HP. 

 

Many people are unhappy that ingame it does not live up to the real life reputation, but most of that came from later Merlin powered one's used by US in western desert. 

 

Trying to fight with it 1 on 1 with late 1942-3 axis aircraft will lead to frustration. It has many strengths, you will have to use these to advantage which are best exploited by flying in a group. 

 

Historically the E model fits at the late part of Moscow and early part of Stalingrad campaign, keep that in mind with expectations. The P-40 was used in great numbers on Eastern front but mostly later models we do not have represented. 

 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

When you first ask about P-40 you were toled P-40 is crapy airplane in this game, its waist of money if you plan to use it online, same goes for P-39, usaf strick timers and engine limits are main reason. If not for 190a5 and 110g2 you could just skip bok and just get yak1b or la5fn if your plan is to play onine and have competative airplanes for kuban.

P-47 have same problem, but its atleast turning great at 100% flaps down, so you can outturn k4s and d9s that have better engines that can fly on combat all time unlike you just short time.

 

for red in mp just fly raf or vvs and leve usaf for nice skins and sp, there isreason why you dont see many youtube videos of ppl flying usaf airplanes online or why you dont see thouse airplanes used online in big numbers, and its not that they look ugly.

 

 

Edited by 77.CountZero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Carl_infar said:

The best solution is to use its good high speed turning rate - it doesnt lock up as 109., so low yoyos are your friend

 

Don't take this as a challenge to your knowledge but I am not sure what you are saying here.  You talk about high speed turning then you mention lockups which are something that happens in dives,  not high speed turns.  Are you saying it turns well at high speeds *and* it does not lock up in dives ie talking about two different strengths?


You also say that because of its good high speed turns you should use low yoyos.   Forgive me everyone if I am being stupid but I thought low yoyos were only for when you are turning slower than your target ie you are essentially cutting across the turn circle to close the gap.   When I am faster than my target I use high yoyos (or displacement/lag rolls obviously)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

for red in mp just fly raf or vvs and leve usaf for nice skins and sp, there isreason why you dont see many youtube videos of ppl flying usaf airplanes online or why you dont see thouse airplanes used online in big numbers, and its not that they look ugly.

 

Unfortunately but yep.

 

Get the La-5/F and the La-5FN. The plain La-5 has a 5m timer for the boost but it's just one and 100% regenerates in about 15m. The La-5F is unlimited. The FN has 10m of very strong boost and the continuous is still strong. The in game crippled P-39L can approach FN's performance but only for 2m and after that you are a flying target drone. It takes a lot of silly tricks to fly in one competitively; I have done that but I don't recommend that anymore.

 

For earlier maps the LaGG is pretty good; if you can load the 23mm cannon then it's a beast. No silly timers in the LaGG, too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, =11=Herne said:

sublime, open the mission briefing, default key "o" for oscar and click on the specification tab. You can read a lot of interesting info about the plane you are flying, but of particular importance is the Prop RPM and Manifold pressure settings for Nominal, Combat, and Emergency conditions of flight.

The American birds are less forgiving to engine abuse, because they did not have a governor to restrict the maximum available boost, so at low altitudes it is easy to wreck the engine.

Thank you and the guy above.  I knew about tbe specifications tab on the map thx :)

i read the guides. The manual.  The youtube vids. Looks like its just a matter of practice. I think also I just suck at BnZ planes unless theyre really good overall anyways like FWs..

4 hours ago, Ehret said:

 

Russians were scraping engines at rate about 50h per one. In the US manuals you have settings which ensure that it will last about 500h between overhauls. To answer the "nerf" question is: kind of... - current modeling is too strict in some respects; that's is definitely true. Still, you can do fine the P-40E as long you keep your energy up and avoid getting slow and low like a plague.

Thank you this is a large thing I wanted to adress. The validity of that concern.

4 hours ago, Ehret said:

 

Russians were scraping engines at rate about 50h per one. In the US manuals you have settings which ensure that it will last about 500h between overhauls. To answer the "nerf" question is: kind of... - current modeling is too strict in some respects; that's is definitely true. Still, you can do fine the P-40E as long you keep your energy up and avoid getting slow and low like a plague.

And this.. Thx

4 hours ago, Dakpilot said:

P-40E is a 1941 aircraft, compare its weight to its contemporaries with similar HP. 

 

Many people are unhappy that ingame it does not live up to the real life reputation, but most of that came from later Merlin powered one's used by US in western desert. 

 

Trying to fight with it 1 on 1 with late 1942-3 axis aircraft will lead to frustration. It has many strengths, you will have to use these to advantage which are best exploited by flying in a group. 

 

Historically the E model fits at the late part of Moscow and early part of Stalingrad campaign, keep that in mind with expectations. The P-40 was used in great numbers on Eastern front but mostly later models we do not have represented. 

 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

This..

3 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

When you first ask about P-40 you were toled P-40 is crapy airplane in this game, its waist of money if you plan to use it online, same goes for P-39, usaf strick timers and engine limits are main reason. If not for 190a5 and 110g2 you could just skip bok and just get yak1b or la5fn if your plan is to play onine and have competative airplanes for kuban.

P-47 have same problem, but its atleast turning great at 100% flaps down, so you can outturn k4s and d9s that have better engines that can fly on combat all time unlike you just short time.

 

for red in mp just fly raf or vvs and leve usaf for nice skins and sp, there isreason why you dont see many youtube videos of ppl flying usaf airplanes online or why you dont see thouse airplanes used online in big numbers, and its not that they look ugly.

 

 

This is as I feared.  So wmthats tge verdict on the P47 huh? Geez I wanted that P38.  Sooo will they ever sell a tempest solo or will I have to buy all of BoBP for the Spit and Temp? 😕

20 minutes ago, Ehret said:

 

Unfortunately but yep.

 

Get the La-5/F and the La-5FN. The plain La-5 has a 5m timer for the boost but it's just one and 100% regenerates in about 15m. The La-5F is unlimited. The FN has 10m of very strong boost and the continuous is still strong. The in game crippled P-39L can approach FN's performance but only for 2m and after that you are a flying target drone. It takes a lot of silly tricks to fly in one competitively; I have done that but I don't recommend that anymore.

 

For earlier maps the LaGG is pretty good; if you can load the 23mm cannon then it's a beast. No silly timers in the LaGG, too.

Im suprised about the Lagg. Ive avoided it like the plague because.. History.. Lol.

Thanks all for the advice. Idk I still may want Bodenplatte but Im so broke.  Thats why a Yak1B and La5fn arent happening right now.  Along with Kuban or any German planes I may have been persuaded.  So basically though.. ThT Tempest and Spit IX Im only getting my greasy paws on through buying BoBP huh?

Maybe I will play a lot of SP since being an aerial target on MP is getting old lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Ehret said:

 

Unfortunately but yep.

 

Get the La-5/F and the La-5FN. The plain La-5 has a 5m timer for the boost but it's just one and 100% regenerates in about 15m. The La-5F is unlimited. The FN has 10m of very strong boost and the continuous is still strong. The in game crippled P-39L can approach FN's performance but only for 2m and after that you are a flying target drone. It takes a lot of silly tricks to fly in one competitively; I have done that but I don't recommend that anymore.

 

For earlier maps the LaGG is pretty good; if you can load the 23mm cannon then it's a beast. No silly timers in the LaGG, too.

Lavochkin knew how to make airplanes for games , praised be for long time 😄

14 minutes ago, Sublime said:

Thank you and the guy above.  I knew about tbe specifications tab on the map thx :)

i read the guides. The manual.  The youtube vids. Looks like its just a matter of practice. I think also I just suck at BnZ planes unless theyre really good overall anyways like FWs..

Thank you this is a large thing I wanted to adress. The validity of that concern.

And this.. Thx

This..

This is as I feared.  So wmthats tge verdict on the P47 huh? Geez I wanted that P38.  Sooo will they ever sell a tempest solo or will I have to buy all of BoBP for the Spit and Temp? 😕

Im suprised about the Lagg. Ive avoided it like the plague because.. History.. Lol.

Thanks all for the advice. Idk I still may want Bodenplatte but Im so broke.  Thats why a Yak1B and La5fn arent happening right now.  Along with Kuban or any German planes I may have been persuaded.  So basically though.. ThT Tempest and Spit IX Im only getting my greasy paws on through buying BoBP huh?

Maybe I will play a lot of SP since being an aerial target on MP is getting old lol

Im looking forward for Tempest. On red side i see you only need Lagg23, La5FN, and Tempest V and your good for.

If your rookie in MP youll be nothing more then easy target who dont even see what or who got him because of terible visibility ranges in this game that favor veterans, if you expect to be any good alone it will take you months to adapt to fast food enviroment in MP, if you join some group on ts3 youll be able to get some fun, but alone only after you spend a lot of time being nothing more then target, most just quit and play sp.

Edited by 77.CountZero
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sooo the Tempest is gonna basivally be BoBP purchase necessary no?

I gotta step up my dinosaur game..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Sublime said:

Sooo the Tempest is gonna basivally be BoBP purchase necessary no?

I gotta step up my dinosaur game..

To me what Tempest V gives to red side in MP is good value for 70$, ( La5FN was also only collectable airplane i got imidiatly as its good value for its performance also) and only way you can have it is on BoBP standard when it gets relised or premium now and when it gets in game in end of summer or begining of autumn. Also if devs make Collectable Spitfire Mk. XIV it will also be first min purches, rest are easy skipable and waitfor sales,.

Edited by 77.CountZero
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really just want badly

Tempest

P38

Yak1B 

La5FN

p47/spit/whatever..

 

I want them all but Im having some crazy financial difficulties. Believe me if I had the money first of all I woulsnt have caved amd came to this game - glad I did tho - and I would have gotten the OTHER GAMES F14 module.  I couldnt afford it and this was on sale.   However that said if I had money Id love to buy all the IL2 stuff and the other games F14 and Mig19.  I dont have the money. Is what it is.

As far as MP I have such a long way to go. I only have gotten assists in kills. Pretty sad.. Lol...

But ya I mean money wise...I dont even have a headset or HOTAS or pedals! I fly fine but yeah I mean while Im dreaming Id take a VR over any of it first lol - then games and a headset.

Regardless though next time say the 1b and FN are on sale for 20 total Ill probably not be able to help myself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sublime said:

No.. I agree but for me 80 percent rpm is 2600 its not hitting the 3k setting.  Im well aware of the green lines in the manifold setting, im also well aware you can exceed it for short times.

Thanks but no Im not that n00bish - not trying to sound snarky - the questions deeper or something else Im missing..

Plus what about the quotes from Soviet pilots that theyd have been slaughtered using the US manuals guidelines?

So is this purely practice?  What about my question about whether the plane is nerfed?  I dont mean total opinion wise -is it nerfed or just so totally hopeless to fly its pointless. (And it was outdated but this wasnt a total washout - successes were had)

Timer starts above 73% (2650 rpm) so at 80% timer is already ticking down and will lead to engine failure eventually.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is good to know thanks

Requiems got good videos but I feel like sending him a message so he changes his tutorial. He basically said yoy can put on 80% and leave it.

Ugh 73% is even lower my god.

Alright thanks

So exactly how do you keep the performance up on the plane? Besides what I can read and the guides? Its just endless practice huh?

I ask all these seemingly obvious questions but bear with me - overwhelmingly the fligbt sims I come from have a lot of voiceover tutorials that make learning the planes A LOT easier...

Thanks all for your kindness btw no assholes :)

1 hour ago, 77.CountZero said:

Lavochkin knew how to make airplanes for games , praised be for long time 😄

Im looking forward for Tempest. On red side i see you only need Lagg23, La5FN, and Tempest V and your good for.

If your rookie in MP youll be nothing more then easy target who dont even see what or who got him because of terible visibility ranges in this game that favor veterans, if you expect to be any good alone it will take you months to adapt to fast food enviroment in MP, if you join some group on ts3 youll be able to get some fun, but alone only after you spend a lot of time being nothing more then target, most just quit and play sp.

Oh I quit and played SP but I WILL BE BACK (and still fly around desperately trying daily)

I just.. Lets be fair.. 2 weeks in :D. Not new to the old Il2 or flightsims but still.

Yes the visibility is a major problem. I started using my flat screen but it only helps so much andi get murderized by trackir and VR users along with ppl with headsets and SR or TS.

Ok so onto spotting.  Besides turning up gamma on my tv (i gotta figure out how to do it) and turning down the.. What was it alpha setting or something? I set it as low as I could.  What else can I do? I set ground to blurry. I know a lot depends on my rig. I can post that.  But is it true basically if you lower the resolution enemy planes get stupid easier to spot? Lower it to what usually or what range? Or is this mostly nonsense and it takes practice and usually a wingman?

1 hour ago, Ehret said:

 

Unfortunately but yep.

 

Get the La-5/F and the La-5FN. The plain La-5 has a 5m timer for the boost but it's just one and 100% regenerates in about 15m. The La-5F is unlimited. The FN has 10m of very strong boost and the continuous is still strong. The in game crippled P-39L can approach FN's performance but only for 2m and after that you are a flying target drone. It takes a lot of silly tricks to fly in one competitively; I have done that but I don't recommend that anymore.

 

For earlier maps the LaGG is pretty good; if you can load the 23mm cannon then it's a beast. No silly timers in the LaGG, too.

are you the crazy Russian guy I was chatting with on Wings of Liberty that was taking a Lagg up to 6 or 7km with canopy open and diving down on Lufties?  Lol he said the thing dived like a cement truck without brakes.  He did well with it but my snapshot shooting game IS NOT there yet

Mostly Im just an MP victim. Either i get shredded and die. Or shredded and dive and limp back to base flying lower than trees.

Or i getinto an extended long dogfight that I eventually lose.

ONE session I got hits several times - Kuban map big furball. No kills though.  THATS IT. LOL

Still as a CM player since 99 and gamer since 94 nothing is as satisfying as killing humans.  MP is where Im going. Career mode is just training and Im aware its reinforcing bad habits (radio call outs anyone?) But its teaching me the engine management, maps, etc.

Ill still ve fresh meat ob MP but I think I need to master a few planes a bit more to where Im avle.to at least competebtly fly them all over, tske off and land and then deal with the angels of death online

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sublime said:

So exactly how do you keep the performance up on the plane?

 

In a dogfight server?  Take off,  climb over the field a lot. Then head out into the wild blue yonder but keep climbing.

 

If you're on your own - which no WW2 pilot ever was - hope for the best:salute:

 

p.s.  set 2600rpm only and leave it there.

 

 Always.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Sublime said:

This is good to know thanks

Requiems got good videos but I feel like sending him a message so he changes his tutorial. He basically said yoy can put on 80% and leave it.

Ugh 73% is even lower my god.

Alright thanks

So exactly how do you keep the performance up on the plane? Besides what I can read and the guides? Its just endless practice huh?

I ask all these seemingly obvious questions but bear with me - overwhelmingly the fligbt sims I come from have a lot of voiceover tutorials that make learning the planes A LOT easier...

Thanks all for your kindness btw no assholes :)

Oh I quit and played SP but I WILL BE BACK (and still fly around desperately trying daily)

I just.. Lets be fair.. 2 weeks in :D. Not new to the old Il2 or flightsims but still.

Yes the visibility is a major problem. I started using my flat screen but it only helps so much andi get murderized by trackir and VR users along with ppl with headsets and SR or TS.

Ok so onto spotting.  Besides turning up gamma on my tv (i gotta figure out how to do it) and turning down the.. What was it alpha setting or something? I set it as low as I could.  What else can I do? I set ground to blurry. I know a lot depends on my rig. I can post that.  But is it true basically if you lower the resolution enemy planes get stupid easier to spot? Lower it to what usually or what range? Or is this mostly nonsense and it takes practice and usually a wingman?

are you the crazy Russian guy I was chatting with on Wings of Liberty that was taking a Lagg up to 6 or 7km with canopy open and diving down on Lufties?  Lol he said the thing dived like a cement truck without brakes.  He did well with it but my snapshot shooting game IS NOT there yet

Mostly Im just an MP victim. Either i get shredded and die. Or shredded and dive and limp back to base flying lower than trees.

Or i getinto an extended long dogfight that I eventually lose.

ONE session I got hits several times - Kuban map big furball. No kills though.  THATS IT. LOL

Still as a CM player since 99 and gamer since 94 nothing is as satisfying as killing humans.  MP is where Im going. Career mode is just training and Im aware its reinforcing bad habits (radio call outs anyone?) But its teaching me the engine management, maps, etc.

Ill still ve fresh meat ob MP but I think I need to master a few planes a bit more to where Im avle.to at least competebtly fly them all over, tske off and land and then deal with the angels of death online

 

To get better spoting stuff you have to lover gamma in your game, resolution has no effect, rest dont help mutch, and you have to look around a lot as distances are short so when you think nothing was there it will be there in 5s.

 

Also in MP you can just do what most do, and take easy airplanes on axis side, 109F4 is easyest and best performing airplane, and then on bobp you just take 109K4, no red airplane can match thouse 2 in ease of use and performance.

 

Edited by 77.CountZero
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I know about easy mode.  Its shameful but I get torn up in my beloved 109 F4 too.  I just need to get better at spotting. Yes i lowered some alpha or gamma setti g in options to lowest. Someone said you can edit a txt file to make it 5.  Idk if it helped.

But see its not just getting kills. That woyld be satisfying but I like mastering planes. I get some planes will be hopelessly oytclassed. But a La5 or Yak1 can and will win against a 109. I just need practice and better spotting. And yes going alone was super rare in WW2 and doesmt help me.

Thanks guys.

Also the p40 notes says it has 3 gas tanks. Is this modelled like other planes where it switches between tanks every few seconds tonshow you fuel levels or am i missing a 2nd and 3rd gauge?

So i keep the rpm at 73%.  I keep my manifold at 40-45 in combat.  What abo7t fuel mix? Lean cruising full rich dogfighting? Do I adjust for altitude? Superchargers automatic right? 

How does she perform at altitude? Should I be trying to fly higher and dive on the enemy??  My question about performance is in SP i often noticed my throttle will ve maxed and yeet will start going down .. 83% 78% and wont stop the trend until i slow the plane down and ley it calm down. I assume the engines getting degraded at that point though oddly no overheat..

Thank god the SP is better than THE OTHER GAME

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sublime said:

are you the crazy Russian guy I was chatting with on Wings of Liberty that was taking a Lagg up to 6 or 7km with canopy open and diving down on Lufties?

 

No, I'm not him. I will have a break from the game, too. I may fly on the Berloga for a quick bash sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh ok.  Jw. 

Next up. Ground attack. Should I just keep using what mt squad does and maybe tool around with rockets later? Im abysmal at ground attack. To be fair I only started practicing. Ive yet to kill anything with bombs yet and usually wait to see what my wingmen bomb.  I suck at spotting groundtargets. 2 runs wirh my p40 i thought I blew a opel blitz. Wrong.  I need mucho practice with this as Im.wrll aware the p40 will becoming more and more a bomber than figbter bomber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok. Career mod. Extended dogfight bersus 109s.  Rpms at 72 percent. Maybe 73.  Engine damaged no warning. Was it i fucked uo and 73 is too much? It died right as i was gttn hits in a 109

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok flying at 72% rpm even im engone withoutbwarning suddenly will get engine damaged. Am i overdoing it on the manifold then ornwhat am I doing wrong? Im not getting overhesting warnings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sublime said:

Ok flying at 72% rpm even im engone withoutbwarning suddenly will get engine damaged. Am i overdoing it on the manifold then ornwhat am I doing wrong? Im not getting overhesting warnings

The engine limits are clearly stated in the specs tab, follow those and you have 0 problems.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@JonRedcornOk first. I appreciste the response.  However -

I asked for tips. I clesrly stated that RTFM, the specs tab, chucks and others guides, and requiems videos still havent totally satisfied all my questions.

I last played Il246. I been back 2 weeks. Sorry if I dont *get* it and seem stupid to you - but this is why I opened the thread man.

Again if Im following the specs (AGAIM DUH I SAID I READ THEM) and also 73 RPM and mt engine not overhesting no throttle change is gttn damaged is it the manifolds been to hifh too long? I wach it csrefully? Could it be sometbing else?  For example fuel mixture being at 100 percent or 80 or 90?

Id like to add look some people dont read instructions as easily.  What may be clear to you isnt clear to me. You know how many times people have said deploy combat flaps?  Except there isnt a setting - its a different % in each plane and they neglect to tell me. See its been out 5 years for you guys - 2 weeks isnt long for me!!  Im asking you to bear with me - otherwise no ones making anyone read!

Im just saying sometimes the specs dont do it. Theyre vague or dont foow through or explain well. Voixe over tutorials like TBE OTHER GAME would make a TOTAL difference IMO.   That said Im wondering about like fuel mixture for the engine shutting off. It was ran well within operating limits. I didnt take damafe i knew of. Certainly ni no message or sound. The rpms, manifold were fine, no heat issues bang overheat 

Edited by Sublime

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ps guys thx the 72/73% rpm has worked wonders... Now i gotta watch that manifold

Hey so again.3 tanks. 1 gauge. Does it switch every few seconds to show u the others or...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unlimited continous mode for the p40 is 37 mmHg, the only problem is keeping It there, as going up or down in altitude aswell changes in rpms will make the manifold pressure vary. 

One way to make sure in which mode you are (cont, combat, emerg) always look at the hud on the right side, if you get the Green icon its continous, if its orange its combat and red is emergency, anything above continous will "eat into" the timer you have.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

K thx.  What aboit the fuel gauges?  3 tanks 1 gauge. Does it automaticallY switch every 15 sec or so like say the La5 IIRC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sublime said:

K thx.  What aboit the fuel gauges?  3 tanks 1 gauge. Does it automaticallY switch every 15 sec or so like say the La5 IIRC?

 

You have 3 fuel gauges in the P-40E. Two of them are on the floor. Fuel tanks are switched automatically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Manifold for continuous power is under 40"Hg, you have to manually adjust the throttle with any changes in altitude and speed. If you exceed 40 "Hg, timer will start ticking down.

3 fuel tanks 3 fuel gauges. Rear fuel tank gauge is top left on the dash, front and middle tank gauges are on the floor.

Edited by =362nd_FS=RoflSeal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok. Next. Long missions.  Im csreful with manifold and rpms. I end uo chasing some 109s. I notice that nonoverheat nothing my engine max throttle starts getting degrsded and 10 min later its 55% as a max!? Whats that orbwhats causing that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The idea that less RPM is easier on the engine than more at a given MP demonstrates how poor the developer understanding of how these engines work is. That is essentially backwards.

 

I really need to stop reading these threads.

5 hours ago, =362nd_FS=RoflSeal said:

Timer starts above 73% (2650 rpm) so at 80% timer is already ticking down and will lead to engine failure eventually.

You are saying that the minimum manifold pressure to hold 2651 RPM's will eventually cause the engine to fail?

 

That is just plain dumb if true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As fascinating as this is find8ng out timers existed 2 weeks into mt experience had ruined enough smoke abd mirrors.. Can someone plz answer my last question before i can flee the thread before I lose all immersio.!? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, =11=Herne said:


The American birds are less forgiving to engine abuse, because they did not have a governor to restrict the maximum available boost, so at low altitudes it is easy to wreck the engine.

 

Including the P-39L...... IRL

4 hours ago, Sublime said:

Ok. Next. Long missions.  Im csreful with manifold and rpms. I end uo chasing some 109s. I notice that nonoverheat nothing my engine max throttle starts getting degrsded and 10 min later its 55% as a max!? Whats that orbwhats causing that

 

Use the gauges in the aircraft, and not the techno-monitor.

Max continuous manifold pressure is 40" Hg.

Max continuous RPM is 2600.

Adjust your prop pitch, and throttle to maintain those as you maneuver the aircraft, and all will be well.

The challenge is the fun of it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So youre saying having the overheat alarm on the side of the screen should just be used as an emergency bacjup especially in the case of P40s?

Edited by Sublime

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sublime said:

So youre saying having the overheat alarm on the side of the screen should just be used as an emergency bacjup especially in the case of P40s?

No idea what you are referring to, having a screenshot would help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...