Han

Developer Diary 220 - Discussion

Yikes!!  If I see fire in my tank I hope I have the option of bailing out!!??

27 minutes ago, spartan85 said:

Yikes!!  If I see fire in my tank I hope I have the option of bailing out!!??

you have now option to bail out

Very nice update!  

Tank Crew is coming along very nicely and all these features are gonna make it even better, especially the tank commander.

I believe you cannot currently kill the commander with MGs when he is popping out of the cuppola, will that become a feature down the line?

It would be interesting as it would add an additional tactical layer where you would have to protect him within the tank and use the periscopes which come with a visibility disadvantage.

5 hours ago, Voidhunger said:

you have now option to bail out

How do you bail out of a tank?

5 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Very nice update!  

Tank Crew is coming along very nicely and all these features are gonna make it even better, especially the tank commander.

I believe you cannot currently kill the commander with MGs when he is popping out of the cuppola, will that become a feature down the line?

It would be interesting as it would add an additional tactical layer where you would have to protect him within the tank and use the periscopes which come with a visibility disadvantage.

It is possible to hit or kill Crew Members, when they are on the outside. Atleast for the Tiger and the KV-1s with the already implemented crew men. It takes a few shots, but they go down ;)

I know this has probably been said but why are they dropping planes u evenly?? The 262 will make 5 vs 2 ...why not drop an allied (p51!)... I mean damn there's tons of info o. It ...the developers are doing a great job,  this just baffles me on there purpose for doing this??

• Confused 2

I was just thinking how cool will be to have winter crew uniforms for the winter maps.

Excellent work with the crew members of the Sherman. How are progressing the Panzer III ones?

Cheers

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 216th_Peterla said:

How are progressing the Panzer III ones?

All doing fine 🙂

Edited by I./JG1_Baron
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, -99th-Buddy said:

I know this has probably been said but why are they dropping planes u evenly?? The 262 will make 5 vs 2 ...why not drop an allied (p51!)... I mean damn there's tons of info o. It ...the developers are doing a great job,  this just baffles me on there purpose for doing this??

Because it's Early Access, it's just the order in which they are making them. Be happy we get anything at all, most games you have to wait for the official release. 

Edited by Soilworker
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 216th_Peterla said:

CTRL + E. The same like in the airplane. 

• Thanks 1

Fire and smoke, holey smoke, and for the aircraft later on :good:, didn't expect that.. . Commando, oh yes, will be good for the Tanks, looking forward to that.

Everything is looking really, really good :) 

Thank you :salute:

10 hours ago, thenorm said:

Bail out is already possible. 

Does bail out provide some bonuses/adventages acc. to KIA?

🤔

I am really looking forward to the battlefield marshall mode.

I can not wait to find out what they will be able to offer to coordinate the individual players and the different squadrons in flight.

I hope that with that, we will see more groups of United bombers.

• Upvote 1

All looking and sounding great!

5 hours ago, -99th-Buddy said:

Because they are releasing the planes they end up finishing first? Truly baffling how you are so confused about this. 

• Upvote 4

Great to see another gorgeous plane cockpit coming along.

Just noticed two typos on the 262 gunsight. No idea whether these are intentional or not.

Lancester instead of Lancaster

Moskito instead of Mosquito

2 minutes ago, JG27_PapaFly said:

Just noticed two typos on the 262 gunsight. No idea whether these are intentional or not.

Well... They would be in German, not English I assume.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JG27_PapaFly said:

ez422.jpg

Yes, intentional.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Soilworker said:

Because it's Early Access, it's just the order in which they are making them. Be happy we get anything at all, most games you have to wait for the official release. 

Ok I am happy cause I said their doing a great job. ...thought some one had more insight on it but I guess not....

2 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

Because they are releasing the planes they end up finishing first? Truly baffling how you are so confused about this. 

No need for smart comments bro..... I love the game I don’t believe I was being rude with the question... so chill out

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, 216th_Peterla said:

Quickly.  Head first if needs be.

Anyone notice the first 262 picture over the mountains shows the a/c in a 35 degree right bank but the attitude indicator shows level flight?  

We're lucky IL2 simplifies many aspects of flying.  Our instrument gyros don't tumble during unusual attitudes.  Things that gave huge problems jamming or malfunctioning in real life (like the 30mm cannon on the 109G6) don't jam or malfunction in IL2.  For us, the a/c fly as they do in the manufacturer's brochures, which is more fun that dealing with jams and engine failures.  

Edited by TP_Sparky

1 hour ago, TP_Sparky said:

Anyone notice the first 262 picture over the mountains shows the a/c in a 35 degree right bank but the attitude indicator shows level flight? 

That's just because the cockpit is still being developed. You can see the same thing in many WIP screenshots over the years. 

• Upvote 1

The love of detail and dedication is always breathtaking.

I'm really glad to be able to watch this baby grow.

:drinks:

Mike

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/6/2019 at 12:00 PM, LukeFF said:

That's just because the cockpit is still being developed. You can see the same thing in many WIP screenshots over the years. 

I guessed that and am just glad the beautiful pictures were shared.  I wasn't being critical, just wondering how many folks notice stuff.  That's an elegant instrument layout.  I flew military and appreciate when the flight instruments are well-arranged for scanning for VMC, combat-threat environment and IMC flight. 

Edited by TP_Sparky
  • Thanks 1

Not sure I want to be sat in a tank with those fires blazing, seems a little too real for comfort, very scary , however, that sort of attention to detail is I think what most will be looking forward to so that TC is believable as a tank simulator.  :drinks:

The crew figures looks awesome, makes sitting there with company so much more believable.:cool:

Really looking forward to the 262, it is one of the best designs ever to come out of that period in aviation history and I hope it lives up to what folks expect.;)

Maybe we could have a second Development update provided by the teams partners in these ventures, Yugra Media, there does not seem to be much information on what that company does within the gaming industry and it would be nice to have a overview of the games they have worked on and what they are doing for us if possible.

Within the confines of what they are allowed to say and divulge of course.:salute:

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Thank you Devs for the hard work! The 262 looks wonderful...:)

Really looking forward to being in a tank fire in VR. That's going to be absolutely horrifying!

Yeah flames in tanks looks very atmosferic. Looking forward to flames and smoke in the cocpits too. It will "brutal" especially in the fighters. Damn, cant wait 😍

P. S. It would be great if we had some blood in the cockpit when pilot is wounded. On the cockpit glass as well. ☠️

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

As a child my father took my me to the movies to see Midway. I remember the young pilot burning in the cockpit. It was shocking and I´ve never forgotten that scene ...

However, this is simulation and it has to reflect reality as much as possible. I am in favour of this part as well: blood splashing, flames, parachutes failing or pilots dying when bailing out, etc. It would give it a new more dramatic dimension. The average of simmers in this forum is about 40, right?

In the last two books I've read, the German Aces Speak, vol1 and 2, these Experten said that they preferred crash landing to bailing out, due to the many fatal accidents. Of course, Marseille's plane was in flames and smoke filled his cockpit, crash landing in the desert was not a good option, but bailing out was worse I this case. Just some fast thoughts in these lines..... :) while having Sunday breakfast.

Edited by 15[Span.]/JG51Spartan
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, TP_Sparky said:

This is the first thing i noticed. I believe it to be intentional so that mustang junkies wouldn't hang themselves before the plane even comes out. Should read 850kph with climb rate indicator pegged at 30 😂😂😂

9 hours ago, 1/LG1-MarkWilhelmsson said:

This is the first thing i noticed. I believe it to be intentional so that mustang junkies wouldn't hang themselves before the plane even comes out. Should read 850kph with climb rate indicator pegged at 30

On a more serious note: The AI could be caged by twisting it's frame.

That would give an explanation BESIDES the cockpit not being functional in the screenshot :)

17 hours ago, 1/LG1-MarkWilhelmsson said:

This is the first thing i noticed. I believe it to be intentional so that mustang junkies wouldn't hang themselves before the plane even comes out. Should read 850kph with climb rate indicator pegged at 30 😂😂😂

LOL.  I'm glad the devs put out such beautiful work.  I have my order in which I'd prefer the a/c but in the end who cares.  Everyone has their own preferences.  The Dora is a stunner and I cannot wait for the P-51, 262, and P-38.  I'm delighted the P-38 model chosen is the fully mature P-38J-25 with the dive brakes and power-assisted ailerons.  I'm glad the P-51 has the fillet in front of the vertical stabilizer.. for longitudinal stability  Not all did, but many of those not so equipped originally were speedily modified in the field.  

My biggest critique of the mods is that you guys don't get enough thanks for the joy you bring to our daily lives.  Sierra Hotel.

Thank you very much for this update.

Let me just ask a big favor:  Please do not forget the mission editor. It is the only tool we have to be able to create scenarios. Many functionalities are either missing or not working properly.. There are  many objects missing in the editor object database. All what is dynamic (can move along a path) should also be available in static form. Many planes and vehicles are missing in either static or dynamic form. Example a tanker truck exists statically but not dynamically. Objects too are limited. Port objects are all at a certain fixed height to be compatible with piers but do not exist on a ground base height. Troops models are also missing,  etc. etc. 

Thank you for your attention 🙂 

• Upvote 4

@IckyATLAS : You are right, but as you see the people here are very interested in superficial stuff like “flames and smoke”, not even in the battlefield marshal. That means “we”  the community is not willing to  pay for such basic stuff. That’s probably why a lot of such things are only done on a “must-do” level so the game is working. That was indirectly also mentioned in Jason’s interview.

What I really look forward to is the battlefield marshal. Some functionalities I hope it will have are

1. RADAR access or similar (to be defined in mission-file) and will report the situation to players in a configurablle way
  2. may have a “strategic” target which he tries to fulfill by defining missions (based on available definable ressources…)
  3. can predefine flights (could also be AI). That means, player will (after going to an airfield) choose missions (planetype incl. loadout plus target / loadout options) and get extra points if he achieves this target.
  4. marshal can communicate to all players of his side

For me something like this would be a huge step towards more overall “real warfare” instead of “furball fighting and uncoordinated cruising-around" - espacially #1 and #3 :)

Just a massive overhaul of the mission editor in general would be amazing.... In the right hands you can make it work but I’m still convinced you need to be a wizard to get the most out of it! 

• Upvote 1