Sign in to follow this  
dog1

BF110 G2 tail wheel assistance

hi

first time in this plane and i cant get the tail wheel to lock . the command does not respond nor does it display the message  locked or not  .

Posted (edited)

It's not lockable (neither is the Ju-88's). Keep your stick back, right foot in, and learn to love differential braking.

Edited by ruby_monkey

thanks tip , so its like the FW190 A3 .

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, dog1 said:

Hi there dog1,

This machine never had a tail lock. In fact it is nothing like the Focke Wulf machines whatsoever.

Just use the brakes to control directional behavior on the ground.

Regards

Edited by Bilbo_Baggins

Stick back in the Bf-110 is to use the prop-wash to force the tail down, adding a little drag to the tailwheel. Lockable tailwheels are for the weak.

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, dog1 said:

All the Fw-190s have a tail wheel lock, it's engaged by pulling the stick back. 

• Confused 1

so i dont pull back the stick at all when taxing ? just pedals and breaks ?

11 minutes ago, dog1 said:

so i dont pull back the stick at all when taxing ? just pedals and breaks ?

6 hours ago, ruby_monkey said:

Stick back in the Bf-110 is to use the prop-wash to force the tail down, adding a little drag to the tailwheel.

ok so  usefull  to stabilize  taking off . thanks comments everyone .

6 hours ago, ruby_monkey said:

Stick back in the Bf-110 is to use the prop-wash to force the tail down, adding a little drag to the tailwheel. Lockable tailwheels are for the weak.

Bless me father for I am week, especially on the snow.

Posted (edited)

Well I'm glad someone mentioned the Ju88 here, as the absence of a tail lock on this type has been a question in my mind for quite some time, my google searches have frustratingly only ever been able to find the one translation of the pilot notes, this being the same one that everyone seems to quote when the question of a locking tail wheel for the Ju88 is raised.

This solitary source for me is not really enough proof, however I'm happy to go along with it but for two contradictory accounts from two separate and respected authors.

The first is Peter Wilhelm Stahl, in his first book "The Diving Eagle" (well first in English anyways) he goes to great lengths to try and impart the experience of flying the Ju88 in combat during operations in France for attacks on England, in one passage he gives a quite detailed account of taking off, where locking of the tail wheel is mentioned as one of the very final checks, before beginning the takeoff run (see below).

Spoiler

189703943_thedivingeagle.thumb.jpg.30d7cbab2e082e84959aac0d334e9295.jpg

136092118_lockthetailwheel.thumb.jpg.0e656d5d187b7b2c08d39e33596b878c.jpg

The second is Captain Eric Melrose "Winkle" Brown, in his account of flying the Ju88 in "Wings of the Luftwaffe" he also talks of setting the tail wheel lock (I will dig out my copy and the reference info after work).

Granted the above examples are both recollections, yet that being said Stahl lived and breathed the Ju88 day in and day out during the war, and as for Winkle, I would assume that he would have been able to refer back to his technical notes that he took at the time (as was his job) for that type when his later account his was written. 

In short I'd like to see some other evidence maybe in the form of an original untranslated copy of the Ju88's Pilot notes, or even an allied technical report that clearly show there to be no wheel lock on the Ju88, to be able to put the issue to rest once and for all.   

Edited by spudkopf
Grammar correction
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, spudkopf said:

In short I'd like to see some other evidence maybe in the form of an original untranslated copy of the Ju88's Pilot notes, or even an allied technical report that clearly show there to be no wheel lock on the Ju88, to be able to put the issue to rest once and for all.   

The Finnish pilot's notes for the Ju 88 A-4 do not mention anything about the tailwheel being locked.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, LukeFF said:

The Finnish pilot's notes for the Ju 88 A-4 do not mention anything about the tailwheel being locked.

Interesting, the following is Brown's recount.

"Wings of the Luftwaffe" top of pages 105 & 108 in the 1977 edition and lower left of page 190 in the 2010/2011 edition.

winkle.thumb.jpg.0726c217f6750e64609f68066778fa37.jpg

2091114133_winkle4.thumb.jpg.599d0545408fbbc1e23d3d34b52e4209.jpg

Edited by spudkopf
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Il2 Bos JU88 has the Locking lever modeled in the cockpit but it is inactive.  Chuck's Cockpit Guide for Clod JU88 also has the same lever highlighted, but it seems that Clod has it working.

The black and white photograph also has the lever in question visible, so it seems that the JU88 did have a tail wheel locking mechanism. 

Ju88 Tail Wheel.jpg

junkers-ju88.jpg

Ju88 Clod.jpg

Edited by bzc3lk
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bzc3lk said:

Il2 Bos has the Locking lever modeled in the cockpit but it is inactive.  Chuck's Cockpit Guide for Clod also has the same lever highlighted, but it seems that Clod has it working.

The black and white photograph also has the lever in question visible.

The plot thicken's :P

• Upvote 2

If Winkle says it's so, it is so! End of.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Good find, well done chaps... Bloody hell, I forgot that I have that book, it's on my lap now as I type this, lol.

I'm assuming that the A4 version is now deemed to have the lockable tail wheel, but as Brown is describing the A5 version that he flew, it will need to be checked.

• Upvote 1

Guys, Ju88 had lockable tail wheel in real plane. In game is not this ability yet. Im sure that we'll have this feature in game too - but im afraid that Ju88's tail wheel have low priority in this moment and Devs very hard working on other planes for the Bodenplatte and increased many other thing. Patience please they know about it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

If one aircraft NEEDS a lockable tailwheel it's the JU88.  I can't believe German engineering would leave this out.  It's a bitch to get off the ground on a short runway with a 180 degree taxi approach, for me anyway.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, remer said:

If one aircraft NEEDS a lockable tailwheel it's the JU88.  I can't believe German engineering would leave this out.  It's a bitch to get off the ground on a short runway with a 180 degree taxi approach, for me anyway.

On 4/6/2019 at 7:37 AM, I./JG1_Baron said:

Guys, Ju88 had lockable tail wheel in real plane. In game is not this ability yet. Im sure that we'll have this feature in game too - but im afraid that Ju88's tail wheel have low priority in this moment and Devs very hard working on other planes for the Bodenplatte and increased many other thing. Patience please they know about it. 

On 5/15/2019 at 7:19 PM, remer said:

The 88 is one of the most stable planes on the ground I've ever taxi'd, those differential brakes are fantastic, hell there's no rudder input until you hit around 100kph on her so those brakes are it.

Are you setup for differential brakes or a single pull stick?

8 hours ago, Melonfish said:

The 88 is one of the most stable planes on the ground I've ever taxi'd, those differential brakes are fantastic, hell there's no rudder input until you hit around 100kph on her so those brakes are it.

Are you setup for differential brakes or a single pull stick?

I've got diff brakes.  I don't use pedals though and I appreciate that's a great drawback.

16 hours ago, remer said:

I've got diff brakes.  I don't use pedals though and I appreciate that's a great drawback.

What throttle/stick combo do you have?

before I got pedals I used the flappy padle on the Thrustmaster FCS throttle, you could bind the keys perhaps?
without control of those brakes you're not going to get that 88 off the ground easily.

• Like 1