HOTAS, mouse&keyboard and VR stops responding mid flight

Since last two updates every once in a while my ingame controls stop responding, plane keeps flying (till it hits the ground) but i have no control of it (HOTAS) also mouse and keyboard stop responding so i can't finish flight and exit  via game menu, only solution is to force quit/restart game via task manager.

My mouse and keyboard working fine outside game when i minimalize game to desktop so it is not my pc i guess, it happened twice in last patch while now i get this issue almost once a day.

Most of the time it happens in MP while i'm engaging enemy, once it happened in SP!

UPDATE 15.07.2019

I have this problem again, now instead frozen picture (VR) i got loading screen, minimalized game window on monitor shows frozen picture too.

M&K, HOTAS, joystick everything stops responding while i hear sound of game keeps running while my plane hits the ground, only difference now is that after loading is finished game starts responding again.

I would think problem is my PC and OS but other programs and games working fine and while il2 loading/freeze occurs everything outside game responds (m&k, hotas...etc).

My MP life suffers!

Edited by EAF_Ribbon

Maybe run USBdeview, to see how many unused USB drivers are present; you can delete them safely (the white ones). Reconnecting some deleted driver will be re installed automatically when you reconnect some newly connected and driver-removed USB device again.

I also found this tool very handy in defitively erasing unwanted drivers and registry entries (probably) : Device Remover

Edited by jackd
  • Like 1
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Still happening in 2020, on various in game settings, various HMDs... seems like a VR glitch that needs to be addressed. Of course, people tell me I "don't want help", but are asking for stuff like my game settings and specs, when I clearly tell them it happens across a variety of systems and specs. This is a game issue, not an us issue.

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2020 at 4:41 AM, squidboi said:

Still happening in 2020, on various in game settings, various HMDs... seems like a VR glitch that needs to be addressed. Of course, people tell me I "don't want help", but are asking for stuff like my game settings and specs, when I clearly tell them it happens across a variety of systems and specs. This is a game issue, not an us issue.

If everyone who experiences this gives system and specs and settings, it might be possible to find a common link. 

• Thanks 1

For what it's worth:

CPU: 9700k @ 5ghz

GPU: 2080ti 
Mem: 32gb @3200mhz

Headset: Valve Index

I have 2 recordings of it but no tracks unfortunately.

You can see it happen right here at 15 seconds. I'm rolling right you can see once the controls freeze where they are, it's locked the control surfaces there, you can see a bit of elevator deflection when I look at the right wing. You can hear me mashing buttons shortly after. Excuse my french. 

Same thing here

It always locks my head position to the right side of the canopy. The camera does not translate anymore but I can still rotate and look around and the game is still live around me.

I should mention that these are from the migoto days, which is why the zoom still responds. It's happened plenty since then but I don't have any recordings of the more recent ones. 

Edited by Floppy_Sock
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Still not fucking fixed, I'm going to bump this every time it happens to me. Just happened as I was going over the top trying to track a bandit in a rolling maneuver, got stuck in infinite loops and had to alt tab and close out VR. Its has nothing to do with USB device power management settings because I have it set that windows can not turn my devices off to conserve power. 

Edited by squidboi
On 10/1/2020 at 9:21 PM, Floppy_Sock said:

For what it's worth:

CPU: 9700k @ 5ghz

GPU: 2080ti 
Mem: 32gb @3200mhz

Headset: Valve Index

I have 2 recordings of it but no tracks unfortunately.

You can see it happen right here at 15 seconds. I'm rolling right you can see once the controls freeze where they are, it's locked the control surfaces there, you can see a bit of elevator deflection when I look at the right wing. You can hear me mashing buttons shortly after. Excuse my french. 

Same thing here

It always locks my head position to the right side of the canopy. The camera does not translate anymore but I can still rotate and look around and the game is still live around me.

I should mention that these are from the migoto days, which is why the zoom still responds. It's happened plenty since then but I don't have any recordings of the more recent ones. 

On 10/4/2020 at 7:43 AM, squidboi said:

Exact same thing just happened to me in the middle of a huge dogfight in combat box. Getting a little fucking annoying. 

I7 2600k @ 5ghz

24gb ram

1070 graphics card

HTC vive

3 hours ago, GOA_Karaya_CRI*VR* said:

2 days ago, i had the same problem while been on final approach for landing, It was pretty frustrating because i shotdown some planes in that CAP. ( Finnish Virtual Pilots)

Hi guys, sorry to hear you have these issues.....luckly it's all fine for me now, didn't experienced it for a year now!

I really don't know is it a game or hardware cause (since than i upgraded my gpu, ram and VR headset....1070>2070s, 16gb 2400mhz> 32gb 3200mhz ram, rift cv1>rift S) but also many game updates happened sooo 🤷‍♂️.

For what is worth mentioning and maybe give it a try, i think since then i also switched to Open Composite, bypassing steamVR....

Only thing i know when i had these issues il2 would stop communicating to m&k and hotas (while they work fine outside il2 in that given moment) while VR headset and ingame enviroment would keep running normal resulting in plane crash.

Good luck guys, i know it sucks when that happen, especially in MP!

Edited by =VARP=Ribbon
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Same thing happened to me yesterday morning (14 October 2020) flying the Combat Box server around 0800 PST, and I don't have VR but a 4K monitor.  I had do Cntrl-Alt-Del to end the application otherwise my bird was starting to wing-over to the left and crash.

Edited by GSP_Hund
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1CGS

It is difficult to reproduce what is happening at the "hardware" level. I understand that my answer will not satisfy you, but I use standard settings without mods and standard steamvr, I have not experienced such problems as you have. I also see that there is a problem with more than one player, please give a report to dxdiag who has such a "falling asleep" of equipment.

• 2 weeks later...

It has just happened again.

Again - this only happens during busy multiplayer missions in my experience. Lots of action is not required to be happening near by. 

Happened to me on TAW just now. Has also happened on CB as well as Finnish.

Attached is my the full dxdiag report.

DxDiag.txt

Just happened again on berloga.

I let the game sit for a while - I was eventually disconnected with the following message.  

Notice the change in color of the CLOSE button. The game is still running and the close button highlights when I scroll over it (see the two pictures compared)  but clicks / keyboard inputs do not register.

image.thumb.png.144093ae6552624f4774cbf911123e9e.png

image.thumb.png.c189fac7af65935126b0656fa6b38c30.png

Just happened to me. Berloga server. Valve Index VR headset. I was suddenly stuck with my head just through the canopy on the right hand side, HOTAS controls not responding. Once my plane crashed into the ground, I still could not exit or see the menu or anything. I restarted my game.

This used to happen to me often, particularly while looking back to check my six in hard turns and dogfights. I followed jokerbr's advice and it has not happened since. Maybe it's just been luck so far, but it has been quite a while. I did it to all my peripherals.

20201109_225052.jpg

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, TheWarsimmer said:

This used to happen to me often, particularly while looking back to check my six in hard turns and dogfights. I followed jokerbr's advice and it has not happened since. Maybe it's just been luck so far, but it has been quite a while. I did it to all my peripherals.

20201109_225052.jpg

I’ll try this specifically.

However, I have already specifically added a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse to rule out usb issues. The Bluetooth radio on my motherboard is connected via CNVio to the cpu and is independent of any USB power toggling.

The game does not register inputs from those either.

Just happened again to me. Combat Box training server. Spectator mode is enabled, and it happened as I looked up and behind me. It felt like all the controls locked up just as my virtual head went through the canopy (which is allowed with spectators on).

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

This used to happen to me fairly regularly when flying in VR, although since I rebuilt my system recently, including a fresh install of Windows 10 and IL-2, the problem has not re-occurred (so far at least).

But anyway I found a work around which may, or may not, be useful to some of you, so here it is:

1) Raise the VR headset up just enough so you can see the keyboard and monitor

2) Hit control + Alt + delete and click on the task manager option which will launch task manager

3) Click on the task manager window and then press the Windows key + Y key simultaneously twice

4) Click back on the IL-2 window to go back into the game

5) Replace the VR headset on your face

Your keyboard, mouse and Hotas controls etc., should now work again as normal.

This is a mighty fiddly procedure and if you are heading towards the ground from low to medium altitude you may not have time to save yourself, but if you're flying level or climbing you should be OK, providing a bandit has not taken advantage of your situation to go in for the kill.

**N.B. I use an HP Reverb headset + WMR so I can't say if this will work with other headsets / VR environments, sorry **

Edited by Vortice

That is odd, can't say I have ever lost any of those functions whilst flying in VR in any sim.

This with Oculus Rift CV1, Quest, Rift S, and now Reverb G2.

Guess I have been lucky.

This happens at least once to me every three hours or so of multiple missions on an MP server, though fortunately only at the start of a new mission. I used to only realize it after takeoff when I try to retract my landing gear and nothing happens.

Now I am in the habit after spawning of pressing my HOTAS button for the Escape menu. If it comes up I am good to go. If not, then I alt+tab and reload my CH Control Manager software to download my settings again. This is much easier to do when I am still on the ground.

The next time this happens, probably tonight, I’ll try the Windows key + Y key simultaneously twice trick above - thanks, @Vortice!