Alonzo

Combat Box by Red Flight

On 5/22/2019 at 4:29 PM, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I always look on it as a recreation of the tunnel vision your brain creates in real life but we don't get from looking at a PC screen.       In a real life situation like that your brain completely ignores everything in the field of view apart from that gunsight and it extracts every last bit of detail. Your whole brain is focused on the target and even if you were to get yourself hypnotised to bring back the memory there would be nothing else in your memory apart from that small circle.   Looking at a PC screen without zooming in you see everything and the target seems much smaller as you are also noticing the canopy frame and ground details and clouds etc.     

There was a very famous experiment (and the video is on Youtube) where volunteers were asked to watch a minute or so of a basketball game and count how many times the players of one side pass the ball.   During this clip a man in a gorilla suit walks across the court  in full view, stopping briefly in the middle of the court yet after the video was turned off hardly any of the volunteers remembered seeing him when asked and would not believe it happened unless shown the video again.     Your brain sees what it expects to see and a huge portion of what you remember seeing is actually made up... and that is before we consider the errors in recalling memories! 🙂

I notice this when watching video replays of my own sorties. When I'm focused on an enemy aircraft in game, I don't notice a lot of other things going on. Only afterward when I re-watch do I notice other aircraft, ground fire, etc. Its amazing what you miss even on a 2d screen when you're focusing intently. A real wakeup call for maintaining SA.

Thanks for the new map. I had a great time flying Allies with some great comrades and those pesky 190s. :bye: 

I do look forward to Air Marshall and the other MP improvements, which will hopefully take the experience to the next level.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 615sqn_Buzz said:

Hello server down or new map?

Buzz

Looks OK to me. I skipped mission just in case.

New video from DerSherriff. Ace in a Flight, in a 109-K4. Filmed on Combat Box on the Battle for Kalinin map.

June "opening weekend" contest! Thanks to =FC=Frakkas we have two collector planes -- P40 and Spitfire.Vb -- to give away to pilots on Combat Box. All you need to do is join the Discord and score at least 1 point in a sortie on Saturday June 1st through Monday June 3rd (server time). Winners will be drawn using a random number generator. If the winner already owns the plane, they will be able to nominate someone else for the prize.  

Remember: Death or capture scores no points, so you'll need to score a ground or air kill and make it back to friendly territory to be eligible for the giveaway.

Thanks again to Frakkas and the Flying Chickens for their support! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Alonzo_LW said:

June "opening weekend" contest! Thanks to =FC=Frakkas we have two collector planes -- P40 and Spitfire.Vb -- to give away to pilots on Combat Box. All you need to do is join the Discord and score at least 1 point in a sortie on Saturday June 1st through Monday June 3rd (server time). Winners will be drawn using a random number generator. If the winner already owns the plane, they will be able to nominate someone else for the prize.  

Remember: Death or capture scores no points, so you'll need to score a ground or air kill and make it back to friendly territory to be eligible for the giveaway.

Thanks again to Frakkas and the Flying Chickens for their support! 

Ach, its the getting back to friendly territory part that's the trick! I'll give it a shot anyway.

is the Discord you guys run used for in-game voice chat at all, or just server discussion? I finally have a headset and mic, just wondering if there was a general discord for the server or if people just usually use their own.

Posted (edited)

I'd say that the Discord is normally used to discuss server related things, and that most pilots sit in their clan's own Discord. 

However, that's not always true, especially on the weekends and when TAW is not running.

Also, CB's Discord is one of the few that has an actual push-to-talk channel. No more hearing people type, breath hard, or just ramble for no reason. It's perfect. 😎

So I think the answer is yes, people use voice communication within CB's Discord, but like other community voice channels, not that often. 

Edited by ACG_Sketch-LW
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RedKestrel said:

is the Discord you guys run used for in-game voice chat at all, or just server discussion? I finally have a headset and mic, just wondering if there was a general discord for the server or if people just usually use their own.

Sketch gave a really good answer, I'll just expand on one part: A lot of the time, the Discord will sit empty, but once someone joins (and there's a Lobby, and both Axis and Allied channels) then others see there's someone on and they often join too. So it tends to sit empty except when it's not and there's like a dozen or more people on it. :soldier:  There's no requirement to join voice but for the giveaway it's easier for us to coordinate if people are more or less on the Discord. We also send a very occasional announcement ping (like once or twice a month at most) and you'll get that via Discord too.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, ACG_Sketch-LW said:

I'd say that the Discord is normally used to discuss server related things, and that most pilots sit in their clan's own Discord. 

However, that's not always true, especially on the weekends and when TAW is not running.

Also, CB's Discord is one of the few that has an actual push-to-talk channel. No more hearing people type, breath hard, or just ramble for no reason. It's perfect. 😎

So I think the answer is yes, people use voice communication within CB's Discord, but like other community voice channels, not that often. 

I have my discord set to push to talk by default OS people wont have to hear me cursing whenever I get shot down, which is often.

3 hours ago, Alonzo_LW said:

Sketch gave a really good answer, I'll just expand on one part: A lot of the time, the Discord will sit empty, but once someone joins (and there's a Lobby, and both Axis and Allied channels) then others see there's someone on and they often join too. So it tends to sit empty except when it's not and there's like a dozen or more people on it. :soldier:  There's no requirement to join voice but for the giveaway it's easier for us to coordinate if people are more or less on the Discord. We also send a very occasional announcement ping (like once or twice a month at most) and you'll get that via Discord too.

Thanks for the explanation Alonzo.

What happened to all the players? I've been wanting to fly on the server but everytime I get on it's empty.

8 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

What happened to all the players? I've been wanting to fly on the server but everytime I get on it's empty.

When I was on earlier it was almost full. I’m going to try and get on again this evening.

Question about the contest. Do we have to stay connected to the discord for the whole sortie we get points for or just join? My discord cut out halfway through my session so I wasn’t connected for the whole sortie I got a kill on...

16 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

It looks like the dserver didn't load the next map correctly, so no-one could join, and everyone went elsewhere 😞

With the TAW campaign running, a lot of organized squads head to TAW instead of to somewhere like Combat Box, so we're dependent on a few pilots starting things off and then people noticing that there are players on Combat Box. Sometimes this can rapidly snowball into having a lot of players online, other times people see Combat Box is empty, head to Wings, and then that cycle perpetuates. Problems with the dserver process being a bit finicky don't help. Keep trying, you should see folks online on Combat Box. If you have friends, bring a few people in. Once there are a few on CB then things generally get going.

• Upvote 1

Great server! The best mix of realism and action I’ve ever seen flying online. I’m hooked. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

Question about the contest. Do we have to stay connected to the discord for the whole sortie we get points for or just join? My discord cut out halfway through my session so I wasn’t connected for the whole sortie I got a kill on...

From what i understand it does not matter if you are on discord or not. It only matters that you score a point (at least). And a random guy with a score >0 will win.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, =FC=SteelFalcon said:

From what i understand it does not matter if you are on discord or not. It only matters that you score a point (at least). And a random guy with a score >0 will win.

Yea sorry, the Discord thing is just to make it easier to give out the prizes. If you are a member of the Discord it’s good enough, you don’t need to be on voice to receive a prize.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alonzo_LW said:

Yea sorry, the Discord thing is just to make it easier to give out the prizes. If you are a member of the Discord it’s good enough, you don’t need to be on voice to receive a prize.

It makes total sense when I think about it abit, kind of a silly question lol. Anyway, I was able to get back on later (Problem was on my end) and had a great time on the server.  

I think my best and also worst moment of the day was picking a fight with 5 guys from TBAS squadron at the same time when they were coming back from annihilating 3 of our targets in about 5 minutes. After a long tailchase without being noticed, I popped up too high and all five guys started maneuvering at the same time. It was like a pigeon dive bombing a murder of crows and only realizing at the last minute that it was a) extremely gutsy and b)a colossal blunder on par with starting a land war in asia. Good times.

Highlight: Physky asking me on comms as he tries to come to my rescue. "Are you still over the target area?" *RedKestrel has been killed*. "Ah, I guess not." 

3 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

I think my best and also worst moment of the day was picking a fight with 5 guys from TBAS squadron at the same time when they were coming back from annihilating 3 of our targets in about 5 minutes. After a long tailchase without being noticed, I popped up too high and all five guys started maneuvering at the same time. It was like a pigeon dive bombing a murder of crows...

Heheh. Some of the best little moments are when a formation (all on voice) break at the same time, bandits diving amongst them. I think I have a gif of Red Flight doing that once. But yeah, if you're coming into a flight of 5 with a lot of energy and can hit and run, that'll work, but if you're slowly sneaking up on them I think it's always going to be a risky proposition.

Did you record it? I find TacView (free) hugely useful in debriefing all the stuff I get wrong in a flight.

3 minutes ago, Alonzo_LW said:

Heheh. Some of the best little moments are when a formation (all on voice) break at the same time, bandits diving amongst them. I think I have a gif of Red Flight doing that once. But yeah, if you're coming into a flight of 5 with a lot of energy and can hit and run, that'll work, but if you're slowly sneaking up on them I think it's always going to be a risky proposition.

Did you record it? I find TacView (free) hugely useful in debriefing all the stuff I get wrong in a flight.

I did not unfortunately. I use Nvidia experience and I had the snapshot video thing activated where you can save the last five minutes of flight time. But I forgot to activate it after the flight! And I always seem to forget to take a track of my flights for later too. I have to get into the habit I suppose. And convert the tracks to video - with the update coming soon we'll all probably lose the ability to run tracks from before the patch. 

Maybe the TBAS guys were recording? They had a hell of an attack streak going, I was just the cherry on top of the destruction-cake, I hope they recorded it.

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

I did not unfortunately. I use Nvidia experience and I had the snapshot video thing activated where you can save the last five minutes of flight time. But I forgot to activate it after the flight! And I always seem to forget to take a track of my flights for later too. I have to get into the habit I suppose. And convert the tracks to video - with the update coming soon we'll all probably lose the ability to run tracks from before the patch. 

Maybe the TBAS guys were recording? They had a hell of an attack streak going, I was just the cherry on top of the destruction-cake, I hope they recorded it.

Shameless plug: https://twitch.tv/sketch5051

I may have recorded that fight, as I fly with @Physky often.

Edited by [TWB]Sketch
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, [TWB]Sketch said:

Shameless plug: https://twitch.tv/sketch5051

I may have recorded that fight, as I fly with @Physky often.

I think it was just me, him and one other guy on the allied side at the time...it was later in the night when there were only a few people on the server, around 8:00 my time on the server. I flew with him a bit earlier in the afternoon as well. 

• Like 1

Yesterday I was flying with 4 other from my squad, and it seems I was the only one able to see the alert messages ("Ennemy aircraft spotted near german tanks" for example).

28 minutes ago, F/JG300_Faucon said:

Yesterday I was flying with 4 other from my squad, and it seems I was the only one able to see the alert messages ("Ennemy aircraft spotted near german tanks" for example).

I'm not sure how that's possible. Alonzo has subtitle messages (in English) for all language types. See the image as an example:

image.png.008edd0b0fd31c9f67f2b516910bf9ad.png

I played all day today and I was able to get all of the subtitle messages. I wonder if it's a setting on their end? Did they have the HUD disabled?

19 minutes ago, [TWB]Sketch said:

I played all day today and I was able to get all of the subtitle messages

Can confirm, i got them all too. My 2 mates did see them too. Don‘t think it‘s an issue with missions.

Shout out to @No.310_Paulus who apparently is a one-man ship-killing machine and won Paravane all by himself in an hour last night! http://il2na.com/en/mission/1267/. Looks like he nailed the Tirpitz, a destroyer, and both cargo ships! The flak over the naval targets is appropriately hellish, so its quite a feat IMO. 

• Upvote 2

Really hope after TAW mania has stopped that people will come back onto CB. Very disappointing to see the numbers drop off recently.

RGDS

My navigation skills are still lacking but I felt the need to step-up my game. Took an A-20 up and went after some gunboats, which I missed (need to practice bombing), but more important, I found the target, and managed to navigate safely back home! Just have to keep reminding myself to pay more attention to the map as I fly. I think I found a new home!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, No_85_Gramps said:

My navigation skills are still lacking but I felt the need to step-up my game. Took an A-20 up and went after some gunboats, which I missed (need to practice bombing), but more important, I found the target, and managed to navigate safely back home! Just have to keep reminding myself to pay more attention to the map as I fly. I think I found a new home!

Realistic navigation is something of a hidden gem in this sim. Once you learn to do it yourself it adds a lot to the game. Good for you for taking the plunge!

On a bit of a downer note, we handed out a couple of 24 hour bans for people being unnecessarily dickish. As we've said before, a little bit of trash talk is okay, but being actively nasty to other players is going to get you uninvited from the server. It's not a democracy.

On happier news, here are some videos shot on Combat Box. Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alonzo said:

On a bit of a downer note, we handed out a couple of 24 hour bans for people being unnecessarily dickish. As we've said before, a little bit of trash talk is okay, but being actively nasty to other players is going to get you uninvited from the server. It's not a democracy.

On happier news, here are some videos shot on Combat Box. Enjoy!

Got shot down by Central at least once tonight. If I’m lucky he’s got video of it, sooner or later I’m bound to be an Internet star!

• Haha 1

First time on server tonight.  Best missions I have ever seen in il2.  I will be back daily, keep up great work and others who where on super friendly!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, MercCrom175 said:

First time on server tonight.  Best missions I have ever seen in il2.  I will be back daily, keep up great work and others who where on super friendly!

Glad to have you on the server. It’s a great community. Look forward to flying with you again, tell your buddies to join us on Combat Box :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hey everyone, I'm pleased to announce that all the maps are updated to include the new Me262 jet fighter. As usual with the super planes there are not that many of them, but they replenish quickly, so you should be able to fly one at some point. We've also updated all the map information and JSON files at http://combatbox.net/en/maps/

And of course people immediately start doing this:

• Upvote 1

Im getting some error on the stats pages when I try to see my profile.... :unsure:

6 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Hey everyone, I'm pleased to announce that all the maps are updated to include the new Me262 jet fighter. As usual with the super planes there are not that many of them, but they replenish quickly, so you should be able to fly one at some point. We've also updated all the map information and JSON files at http://combatbox.net/en/maps/

And of course people immediately start doing this:

Gonna have to change the name to RIPe-2. Yikes!

1 hour ago, Willy__ said:

Im getting some error on the stats pages when I try to see my profile.... :unsure:

Unfortunately anyone who has flown the 262 now has a bugged stats page. The stats are there in the database just not displaying. I’m waiting on a fix from the folks who make the stats software.

Alonzo,

Thank you very much for the Combat Box server and the work you and others have put in to produce and develop it.  I think it is a great success.

I have a question, if a may, and apologise in advance if it has been asked before and I have missed it.

Do you have the IL-2 "limit VR view" (under settings, cameras, cockpit view) activated for your server, or is it disabled?

The reason I ask is because I have recently invested in VR (Pimax 5k plus), but get terrible cockpit and airframe distortions when I move my head in VR when using your server.  I don't get these distortions with IL-2 off-line or in the QMB, nor do I get them in one of my other favourite on-line MP servers.

I have my IL-2 in-game limit VR view unchecked.  I do this because I have no choice, otherwise if it is checked I get the same terrible cockpit and airframe distortions when I move my head, no matter what.

I am trying to solve the mystery as to why I am getting these cockpit and airframe distortions on Combat Box in VR and thought that it might be due to the "limit VR view" thing.  Any information or thoughts that you may be able to offer to help me understand what might be causing the cockpit and airframe distortions when I move my head would be gratefully received.

If anyone else is reading this, particularly VR headset users (Pimax), who may be able to help with this issue I would really appreciate it.  At the moment I am able to fly off-line and in one of my other favourite on-line MP servers, but not, most importantly, Combat Box in VR :(

Thank you for your consideration.

Happy landings,

Talisman

26 minutes ago, 56RAF_Talisman said:

Alonzo,

Thank you very much for the Combat Box server and the work you and others have put in to produce and develop it.  I think it is a great success.

I have a question, if a may, and apologise in advance if it has been asked before and I have missed it.

Do you have the IL-2 "limit VR view" (under settings, cameras, cockpit view) activated for your server, or is it disabled?

The reason I ask is because I have recently invested in VR (Pimax 5k plus), but get terrible cockpit and airframe distortions when I move my head in VR when using your server.  I don't get these distortions with IL-2 off-line or in the QMB, nor do I get them in one of my other favourite on-line MP servers.

I have my IL-2 in-game limit VR view unchecked.  I do this because I have no choice, otherwise if it is checked I get the same terrible cockpit and airframe distortions when I move my head, no matter what.

I am trying to solve the mystery as to why I am getting these cockpit and airframe distortions on Combat Box in VR and thought that it might be due to the "limit VR view" thing.  Any information or thoughts that you may be able to offer to help me understand what might be causing the cockpit and airframe distortions when I move my head would be gratefully received.

If anyone else is reading this, particularly VR headset users (Pimax), who may be able to help with this issue I would really appreciate it.  At the moment I am able to fly off-line and in one of my other favourite on-line MP servers, but not, most importantly, Combat Box in VR :(

Thank you for your consideration.

Happy landings,

Talisman

What other servers do you go on? I seem to recall that  at least at one point the 'limit VR view' is enabled when external views are disabled, so its impossible to allow free-er head movement in VR without also allowing people to use external cameras, which can be a problem in MP. Not sure if this has been changed though, it was a while ago.

6 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

What other servers do you go on? I seem to recall that  at least at one point the 'limit VR view' is enabled when external views are disabled, so its impossible to allow free-er head movement in VR without also allowing people to use external cameras, which can be a problem in MP. Not sure if this has been changed though, it was a while ago.

I think you´re correct.