Combat Box by Red Flight

13 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

From the chat on battle of the scheldt  today it seemed to have happened again, same guy. People asking about a 190 going as fast as a 262,and the guy was on the server and got three kills in a minute.

we need to use the "vote to ban player" option as soon as he gets online then, that will be the best way to keep him off ComBox.

35 minutes ago, Black-Witch said:

we need to use the "vote to ban player" option as soon as he gets online then, that will be the best way to keep him off ComBox.

Hardly the best way. Surely either the admins or Sturmovik Security Branch can take care of it in 2 seconds. The chap is using the speedhack across multiple servers.

Edited by Bilbo_Baggins
47 minutes ago, Black-Witch said:

That guy has a 10 year ban on our server. We have the ban hammer implemented on the campaign app. It's strange that no one's made a ban hammer app for general use.

• Upvote 3
11 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

That guy has a 10 year ban on our server. We have the ban hammer implemented

Good grief, I suppose he's fortunate to have got the life sentence or ban-hammer execution! 

Edited by Bilbo_Baggins
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Bilbo_Baggins said:

Good grief, I suppose he's fortunate to not have had a life sentence or a ban-hammer execution! 

How do you give a life sentence to someone who clearly has no life?

@Alonzo before you asked for a TacView track of this guy. Do the in-game tracks work for the same purpose at all? I don't have tacview so if I see something like this the only thing I could do is get video or a track.

3 hours ago, Black-Witch said:

We upgraded him to a ten-year vacation in line with @LLv34_Temuri don't worry ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3
15 hours ago, JG7_X-Man said:

Reshade itself isn't a cheat but people use it to cheat and thus it is my opinion that it should be banned from multiplayer servers.

When I want to play with Reshade I can do it offline. 

No proof people using it to cheat.

This is a tiny Sim community not a large MMO like war thunder or WOT where lots of trash players go.

Takes a special kind of mentally ill scum to cheat in IL2. 

In the end its like banning Alcohol entirely because a minor % of people drink n drive killing others.

1 hour ago, dog1 said:

262 menace mission does'nt  start

The server has been restarted... But it would be 110% better to post in our Discord with an @admin tag. This way we can be pinged and resolve it quickly.

Please, can you BAN Raider6 for very, very long time? It has to be exemplary punishment, he was shooting over my shoulder more than one minute (all the time, you can see tracers around me), and kill me at the end. It is happening all the time on the server and it has not to be tolerated. Also he has quite a lot of DISCO...

https://combatbox.net/en/sortie/log/730960/?tour=23

Edited by CSW_Hot_Dog
On 6/18/2020 at 9:53 AM, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

Just because a person with Reshade might figure out how to make a plane lime green, as you say they can, does not mean the majority of people with Reshade have that level of knowledge nor if they do, would bother cheating with it.  And for the ones that do, they cannot hide their planes from me.  If some moron wants  to fly around with a Martian sky and horrible graphics to spot a plane 1 or 2 km further than me, fine, I say let him.  It's his loss.  Don't ruin the server for the rest of us.

Is there an end to this?  The next step will be to lock custom skins as some squads may make all their planes lime green for easy ID.

A MUCH bigger issue is the random invisible plane bug.  There is NO protection against it.

If even one person is cheating it ruins the server. IF there is the possibility of a 3rd party program being used I prefer it gone.

Same reason I was in full support for early abuses from skins. Guys where making skins you could see through.

Edited by ACG_Smokejumper
  • Upvote 2
3 hours ago, CSW_Hot_Dog said:

Please, can you BAN Raider6 for very, very long time? It has to be exemplary punishment, he was shooting over my shoulder more than one minute (all the time, you can see tracers around me), and kill me at the end. It is happening all the time on the server and it has not to be tolerated. Also he has quite a lot of DISCO...

https://combatbox.net/en/sortie/log/730960/?tour=23

Short warning ban issued.

While I don't approve of Raider6 shoulder shooting, may I also offer a suggestion? You had zero SA for over a minute because you were going "mine mine mine" after that bandit, and from the look of the nearby flak you might even have been in enemy territory. Why not make a pass, do some damage, then climb and figure out your next move? Is getting the killing blow really that important? Your mindset here is only fractionally less bad than the other guy doing the shoulder shooting...

We're increasing the "assist" points next month, maybe this will be less of an issue.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Alonzo said:

While I don't approve of Raider6 shoulder shooting, may I also offer a suggestion? You had zero SA for over a minute because you were going "mine mine mine" after that bandit, and from the look of the nearby flak you might even have been in enemy territory. Why not make a pass, do some damage, then climb and figure out your next move? Is getting the killing blow really that important? Your mindset here is only fractionally less bad than the other guy doing the shoulder shooting...

We're increasing the "assist" points next month, maybe this will be less of an issue.

A high yoyo can reward you with a nice fat target.  :)

I think I just got banned by mistake. I just joined the server and hadn't even flown.

Anyone know what happened? My buddies said they say a racist or some phobic message. I'd not even played so maybe it was a mistake? I had just logged in. Not even had any flame wars in chat.

Ideas?

4 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Alonzo, I dissagre, first of all, it was over our airfield (Y-46), the flak was shooting at him, over our teritory. Second why should I let him, when I was safely parked on his 6? Ok it took extra ordinary long this time, couldnt get the right hit, he endure a lot this time, but I was on his 6, my mate there in spitfire told me I am clear, only some idiot shooting over my shoulder, (you dont understand probably czech language, which we are speaking in the video on TS) so why let him? If I do barrel or so, I just reward that guy with kill, which is like told him: "Do it again, because that way, you would get a kill" I was in situation advantage, parked on his six, so others should keep me safe like my mate on TS and dont shoulder shoot. And when I disangage his 6 and only when a dissangage his 6, because I cant follow his manuver, or any other reason, doesnt matter which, then there is time to someone change my possition on his six, not sooner. Thats how we did in our squad, one is on enemy six, second cover him, when firs has to dissangage, second is in possition to angage ASAP, first do barrel roll or whatsoever to start cover second and be prepared to angage, when second has to dissangage, role exchanged. So tell me single reason, why should I dissangage him, when I was safe on his six and had information that my six is clear of enemies and I had good SA all the time, not from my own eyes, but from eyes of my wingman and from information that only single enemy is reported over Y-46 airfield? Ok someone is shooting over my shoulder trying to steel my kill, good point, definitely good reason to dissangage, i would certainly do IRL without doubt, but i did not because its game, I do not approve this behaviour and dont want to reward a kill guy, who behaves like this, because, than he would do again and we, who wants to fly more reasonable will way be always punished by robbed of our kills. OK, I know i was stick at his six may be too much this time, but it is behaviour like this which force us not to dissangage for even a second for better preparation on second attack, because if you do, someone else is going to finish him even sooner and dont give you a time...

Thats my point of view...

Edited by CSW_Hot_Dog
13 hours ago, CSW_Hot_Dog said:

So tell me single reason, why should I dissangage him, when I was safe on his six and had information that my six is clear of enemies and I had good SA all the time, not from my own eyes, but from eyes of my wingman and from information that only single enemy is reported over Y-46 airfield? Ok someone is shooting over my shoulder trying to steel my kill, good point, definitely good reason to dissangage, i would certainly do IRL without doubt, but i did not because its game, I do not approve this behaviour and dont want to reward a kill guy, who behaves like this, because, than he would do again and we, who wants to fly more reasonable will way be always punished by robbed of our kills.

The reason is that you got killed by the idiot shoulder shooting you, and then came on the forums to complain about it. You can play how you want, but I think that all of the "mine mine mine" behavior is a race to the bottom.

I really wish I had solutions to all of the problems -- vulching, shoulder shooting, kill stealing, people being dicks at airfields and not using the taxiways -- but I don't. I get a lot of people saying "just make airfield flak better" or "just ban people who do this". Watching your video, doing the ban, and our subsequent conversation has used up half an hour of my life. There aren't enough hours in the day to ban all the idiots. I ask the people who are not idiots -- like you and your squad -- to try to rise above the petty behaviors that we sometimes see on the server.

• Like 5

I found out why I got banned!

There are work filters, I said I love base R***. I like being bombed and taking off into a dogfight.  Anyway, the word for sexual assault is filtered so don't use it you get to sit out a few hours.

Thanks admin for getting back to me and lifting my ban. I'll try to be careful about word choice.

A list of words would be handy. I was unaware of that particular word rule.

Thanks for the server!

14 hours ago, CSW_Hot_Dog said:

Alonzo, I dissagre, first of all, it was over our airfield (Y-46), the flak was shooting at him, over our teritory. Second why should I let him, when I was safely parked on his 6?

I see your point of view but a high yoyo can provide a better sight picture with a larger target and a shot at the engine and cockpit. It's also safer. You get more kills by being alive longer giving you more opportunities.

24 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

I really wish I had solutions to all of the problems -- vulching, shoulder shooting, kill stealing, people being dicks at airfields and not using the taxiways -- but I don't.

Is it possible for CB to give us vulchable forward airfields? Perhaps airfields within a certain distance to the front? Some of us enjoy the excitement of taking off under fire. The effects of bombs going off on the airfield is fantastic. You get to have the Battle of Britain moments of a mad scramble. I love those fights. It's also satisfying to watch the vulcher get smashed by flak and the 4 guys who scrambled.

I had many awesome Cliffs moments scrambling in my Spitfire or Hurricane when Germanwolf comes raiding. Good times.

For those who hated being vulched they used to spawn at canturbury or Eastchurch.

Fighting for control of airfields would also be fun! A back and forth battle.

There was a map at the Isle of Wight that was concentrated over Hamble and Isle of Wight. That was some of the best low level dogfighting ever. ATAG was a fun server. I feel like you guys are the new ATAG. I see the same faces and the discord has that same team feel and community spirit ATAG had.

Well done fellas.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
17 hours ago, ACG_Smokejumper said:

Is it possible for CB to give us vulchable forward airfields? Perhaps airfields within a certain distance to the front? Some of us enjoy the excitement of taking off under fire. The effects of bombs going off on the airfield is fantastic. You get to have the Battle of Britain moments of a mad scramble. I love those fights. It's also satisfying to watch the vulcher get smashed by flak and the 4 guys who scrambled.

The problem is that for every person who understands that they may be taking off under fire, and knows how to use the airfield radar, listen for flak, look for the red flare, and bring friends, there are ten people who just blindly take off and get shot to shit by vulchers. The amount of noise and admin pain created by vulching and spawn camping is difficult to deal with. And unless we have 5+ airfields per side, it's quite feasible for one side to fully lock down the opponents airfields and then just farm kills. That's no fun for those on the receiving end.

On Rhineland Campaign, we have capturable airfields. Pilots landing at the airfield immediately after it was captured, with a firefight going on around them, actually complained about being shot as they landed, since "they were on the ground at a player airfield". So we had to pull the fight away from the airfield 😞

If we had actually-dangerous-AAA I would advocate for removing our anti-vulching rules in a heartbeat. There would be areas of the map that are lethal if you get close, and that would take care of the problem. But the AAA isn't lethal, and it has a big performance impact on the server, so it's impossible to make those lethal areas, so we need anti-vulching rules.

There are a bunch of folks technically not breaking the "30 second rule": they kill pilots in the climb about 1 minute after takeoff. Repeatedly. That's getting close to "being a dick" in my mind, but trying to action that is a Pandora's box of admin effort.

• Thanks 5
1 hour ago, Alonzo said:

There are a bunch of folks technically not breaking the "30 second rule": they kill pilots in the climb about 1 minute after takeoff. Repeatedly. That's getting close to "being a dick" in my mind, but trying to action that is a Pandora's box of admin effort.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - rules lawyers are the enemy of all fun, and every game has to be made slightly less fun to deal with those people to just keep them from destroying the entire thing in their quest for technically legal ego stroking.

If you extended the time to 1 minute after takeoff people would develop a foolproof way to bounce people 61 seconds after wheels-up so they can get some easy kills and tell themselves they are a legendary experten. The same guys will also exploit the takeoff/landing rules and ditch themselves on friendly forward airfields to avoid getting shot down and keep their precious streak. 

1 hour ago, RedKestrel said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - rules lawyers are the enemy of all fun, and every game has to be made slightly less fun to deal with those people to just keep them from destroying the entire thing in their quest for technically legal ego stroking.

If you extended the time to 1 minute after takeoff people would develop a foolproof way to bounce people 61 seconds after wheels-up so they can get some easy kills and tell themselves they are a legendary experten. The same guys will also exploit the takeoff/landing rules and ditch themselves on friendly forward airfields to avoid getting shot down and keep their precious streak. 

I can sort of understand the need for the 30 second rule because it prevents Kamikaze style strafing runs from pilots with no regard for their virtual life. 

Anything beyond that is fair game as far as I'm concerned. I know that I have to choose my climb out route carefully to avoid being jumped in a climb. I also know to check my six regularly when coming in to land and also check for flack around my airfield. 

Pilots need to use their heads more, not just their trigger finger.

P51s had no issues about knocking out Me262s on finals or take off climb during the war.

It's a WW2 combat sim, we don't need to be mummied and people should expect to be shot at, at any moment. It's down to the pilots to stay alert, as it was in real life.

If that makes me "a dick", then I hope I'm a big one !

• Like 1

Just as soon as we can have more than a handful of anti-aircraft guns to defend spawn points I'll agree with you. Just as soon as we can have dedicated cap squadrons for defense or airbases I'll agree with you. To say that getting bounced at, on or near airfields was part of the war is true. But the conditions that exists in the game for doing that kind of stuff are not representative of war time conditions. You can't have your cake and eat it too and all that.

24 minutes ago, PreyStalker said:

I can sort of understand the need for the 30 second rule because it prevents Kamikaze style strafing runs from pilots with no regard for their virtual life. 

Anything beyond that is fair game as far as I'm concerned. I know that I have to choose my climb out route carefully to avoid being jumped in a climb. I also know to check my six regularly when coming in to land and also check for flack around my airfield. 

Pilots need to use their heads more, not just their trigger finger.

P51s had no issues about knocking out Me262s on finals or take off climb during the war.

It's a WW2 combat sim, we don't need to be mummied and people should expect to be shot at, at any moment. It's down to the pilots to stay alert, as it was in real life.

The problem is our airfields are 20 minutes away from one another, not 2 hours like in real life. It gets akin to griefing when people start to over-concentrate on it.

8 hours ago, Alonzo said:

The problem is that for every person who understands that they may be taking off under fire, and knows how to use the airfield radar, listen for flak, look for the red flare, and bring friends, there are ten people who just blindly take off and get shot to shit by vulchers. The amount of noise and admin pain created by vulching and spawn camping is difficult to deal with. And unless we have 5+ airfields per side, it's quite feasible for one side to fully lock down the opponents airfields and then just farm kills. That's no fun for those on the receiving end.

On Rhineland Campaign, we have capturable airfields. Pilots landing at the airfield immediately after it was captured, with a firefight going on around them, actually complained about being shot as they landed, since "they were on the ground at a player airfield". So we had to pull the fight away from the airfield 😞

If we had actually-dangerous-AAA I would advocate for removing our anti-vulching rules in a heartbeat. There would be areas of the map that are lethal if you get close, and that would take care of the problem. But the AAA isn't lethal, and it has a big performance impact on the server, so it's impossible to make those lethal areas, so we need anti-vulching rules.

Although Im one of those who enjoys the risk of flying behind enemy lines, I usually do my absolute best to never approach the enemy AF but I do believe @ACG_Smokejumper has a point here and it would be nice to have to scramble some missions. Maybe, when you guys conclude the testing phase for the RRR feature, you could think about creating AFs closer to the front line where RRR would be enabled and AF strafing allowed (only allowed at the RRR airfields). Then it would be down to the pilot to decide either he wants or not to take that risk but, at the same time, having the benefit of being able to take-off in a position closer to the action and also preserve his plane.

12 hours ago, Alonzo said:

How ATAG dealt with that was a very polite get bent.

If you listen to whiners eventually they will tank the server by ruining YOUR experience. They will make it work for you and destroy your drive.

I also hear what you are saying  and understand. On the take off aspect, if you are airborne and not looking around and get blasted that is on you. When I land I scissor my way to the airfield assuming its a combat zone.  You have guys landing with lights on and taxiing out with come kill me lights like its Microsoft Flight Sim. They then scream when they get clipped not thinking they lit themselves up for everyone within 20km if you figured your settings out.

Listening to screachers who wreck themselves it will ruin admin experience over time. My 2C, you don't have to listen to me or anything. I've admined as well and understand the work load and thank you for building something I've enjoyed for hundreds of hours.

I'm still having fun. I just miss the mad scramble.

7 hours ago, Talon_ said:

The problem is our airfields are 20 minutes away from one another, not 2 hours like in real life. It gets akin to griefing when people start to over-concentrate on it.

Airfields where closer than two hours.

Lympne, Hawkinge and all the forward bases are 20 to 30min from forward airfields. Flight time from the major French airfields to London as the crow flies are under an hour.

Allied heavy raids are hours long affairs but we don't have those in this game. During the battle of Britain the flight time to combat was short. When the allies invaded mainland Europe it was the same for the Axis. It was a fluid battle field with Germans flying many sorties per day. Two hours out and two hours back with combat in between is not within 109 capability to boot.

There are also a lot of videos of Axis getting clubbed landing. I think it's when most 262 got nailed.

I guess it's up to you what you want to do. Full real WWII combat or a civilized version which is also okay. It's your house.

• Upvote 2

All you have to do to avoid admin grief is, don't worry about it. 

I think one month one of the admins mentioned there had been like 100 instances of vulching in a month. If I make an assumption that these instances happened during the busiest 12 hour segment of the day, and then assume that each mission genuinely lasts 2.5 hours, then that means there was a vulch incident approximately 0.7 times per mission that month. HARDLY something to even think about in the daily course of admin duties in my opinion. 

There are people on both sides of this argument, but it seems like the voices of the anti-vulch crowd are louder than the other side; and I don't think it is a case of the anti-vulch crowd being a majority. I think it's a case of the people that don't really care if vulching is allowed simply not saying anything about the subject. The vast majority of the folks I've ever played with don't care if vulching is allowed. This is coming from a non-vulcher BTW. I've been flying exclusively WoL for the past 2 months for the Hs129 experience and I've been vulched at the airfield probably once or twice in that whole period. And both times they got wrecked by AA and I was unscathed.

I'd personally prefer folks work on creating new and exciting maps than working on scripts and toiling over their duties to prevent an incident that is relatively rare in the grand scheme of things.

1 hour ago, II./SG.1-MarkWilhelmsson said:

I don't think it is a case of the anti-vulch crowd being a majority.

It certainly is among the admins, which is why we have the rule in the first place.

18 hours ago, PreyStalker said:

Depends what you do about it 😉   If you sometimes follow folks back to base, or sometimes look for easy prey on the climb out towards the front line, that's fine. But there is a small but very persistent group of players who literally camp the enemy airfields all game long. And they do it, partially, because they are successful at it -- too many pilots enjoying the scenery when they should be looking for that Tempest or K4 (it's always a Tempest or K4) bouncing them.

18 hours ago, -SF-Disarray said:

To say that getting bounced at, on or near airfields was part of the war is true. But the conditions that exists in the game for doing that kind of stuff are not representative of war time conditions.

Exactly. Fun beats realism, it is a game after all.

13 hours ago, 41Sqn_Riksen said:

Maybe, when you guys conclude the testing phase for the RRR feature, you could think about creating AFs closer to the front line where RRR would be enabled and AF strafing allowed (only allowed at the RRR airfields).

The problem we have then is inconsistency. Which airfields are 'safe' ? If someone complains about being vulched, which airfield where they at?

10 hours ago, ACG_Smokejumper said:

If you listen to whiners eventually they will tank the server by ruining YOUR experience.

Possibly, but just letting the airfield campers roam free also risks ruining the experience. If each map turns into airfield camping followed by retaliatory airfield camping, rather than playing the objectives, that's not what we intended the server to be. To a certain extent, we make a sandbox and people play in it. But if it's a shitty experience for half the kids in the sandbox, they're eventually going to take their toys and go home.

For what it's worth, I like a scramble under pressure when it's meaningful. On TAW, airfield attacks mean a lot more. You can shut down the airfield for the next mission, kill pilots and destroy airframes. Death penalties are stiffer, you might get booted for 15 minutes upon death, and if it's peak time, you might not be able to get back in for an hour. But that's not Combat Box -- we've made 2.5 hour individual missions where the objectives are the key to winning. Death is a setback rather than a total bummer.

Anyhow. I think we're more or less okay with the 30 second rule. If pilots are feeling less safe in friendly territory that's actually ok. If a few more pilots circle climbed over their own airfield, that would be good. I do that a lot, personally -- the extra 2,000 feet on the climb out helps, and while I'm climbing near the airfield I'm a sort of temporary CAP against vulchers.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ACG_Smokejumper said:

You have guys landing with lights on and taxiing out with come kill me lights like its Microsoft Flight Sim. They then scream when they get clipped not thinking they lit themselves up for everyone within 20km if you figured your settings out.

Lights are necessary for takeoff and landing on a busy airfield IMO. Yeah, you let any enemy pilot hanging around see you, but its a necessary risk, and they will probably see you anyway. There's enough people who don't follow any kind of landing pattern, land the wrong way, or try the WOL-style takeoff straight from the spawn area that it makes collision with idiots  a higher risk than getting vulched. When I survive long enough to get back to airbase on rare occasions nothing is more frustrating than coming in to land and colliding with somebody who didn't  look before they rolled out in front of me or took off across the airfield. I put the lights on when taking off and landing so I'm super visible to those who don't pay attention.

If it comes down to it I would much rather someone bounce me on final approach than get rammed by a friendly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Tonight! 9pm Eastern! @Sketch and I are proud to announce our first full collaboration: Standoff in the Lowlands

October, 1944. The failure of Operation Market Garden has stalled the Allied offensive across Europe. The Allies hold most of Belgium, but the Netherlands to the north is German territory. Neither side has made overt offensive moves, but are instead bolstering their positions and taking up a defensive posture. To the west, German U-Boats harrass Allied shipping operations in the North Sea and Atlantic.

Reconnaissance Mechanics: Each side has two large "reconnaissance zones" that must be scouted in order to reveal specific objectives. Recon planes are available from nearby airfields. To reveal an enemy target, fly a recon plane to the area then orbit nearby while the enemy position is photographed. The new objective will appear on the map for both attackers and defenders.

Supply Drops: The Allies are attempting to reinforce their front line troops by air. A-20 supply planes can be flown from Eindhoven to Heesch or Grave. Once landed, supply pilots should taxi to the marked supply drop-off zone, shut down their engines, and end their mission. If enough supplies are brought to a field, a green ring appears around that objective. German pilots may choose to oppose the supply operation and should attempt to destroy A-20s near the fields. If enough supply planes are destroyed, the field shuts down and is marked destroyed on the map. If the supply operation to both fields succeeds, or if both are shut down, that side gains a victory point.

Repair, Refuel and Rearm: Pilots should always attempt to bring their bird home so it can be reused, and may use an airfield repair station — marked by yellow signal smoke — to repair, refuel and rearm their aircraft. Repair stations are sometimes available at non-player airfields. Pilots should overfly the field at low altitude to signal that they need repair; if a repair station is available ground crew will activate yellow signal smoke.

Victory conditions: Each side must destroy enemy targets while defending friendly territory. The first side to destroy five objectives will win the map. If time runs out, the side that has destroyed the most objectives wins.

Stats, FAQ and feedback at combatbox.net

Join voice comms at discord.combatbox.net

Mission concept and implementation by Sketch and Alonzo. Thanks to Barnacles and Blackhellhound1 for extensive testing.

If you like what we're doing and wish to support us, as well as gain access to our map-making channel and early tests of new maps, please visit patreon.com/combatbox

Standoff-in-the-Lowlands-Oct-1944.thumb.png.65170afc701150e2de73d8fe57a259d1.png

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2
7 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Anyhow. I think we're more or less okay with the 30 second rule. If pilots are feeling less safe in friendly territory that's actually ok. If a few more pilots circle climbed over their own airfield, that would be good. I do that a lot, personally -- the extra 2,000 feet on the climb out helps, and while I'm climbing near the airfield I'm a sort of temporary CAP against vulchers.

What you describe was pretty much mandatory on the CLOD MP servers. The French and English forward bases were close enough that raids occurred frequently and you didn't know what was happening at an airfield until you spawned in. It made for some exciting take offs ! Very often you were forced to fly inland in order to gain altitude before you could turn around and attempt a channel crossing.

My point is that people shouldn't expect a free ride from base to target. The 30 second rule already offers a level of protection, but pilots have to play their part too, as you describe above. It actually adds to the experience and the immersion I think.

Anyway, great work with Combat Box. It's a very enjoyable server and the missions are well thought out and executed. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

Lights are necessary for takeoff and landing on a busy airfield IMO. Yeah, you let any enemy pilot hanging around see you, but its a necessary risk, and they will probably see you anyway. There's enough people who don't follow any kind of landing pattern, land the wrong way, or try the WOL-style takeoff straight from the spawn area that it makes collision with idiots  a higher risk than getting vulched. When I survive long enough to get back to airbase on rare occasions nothing is more frustrating than coming in to land and colliding with somebody who didn't  look before they rolled out in front of me or took off across the airfield. I put the lights on when taking off and landing so I'm super visible to those who don't pay attention.

If it comes down to it I would much rather someone bounce me on final approach than get rammed by a friendly.

Weird, I never use my lights and never have a collision. I usually need to circle the airfield to bleed off speed so that might be why. I have a squizz before I land in someone elses path. If I'm damaged I type out or ask a buddy to type that I'm coming in all banged up.

I also use my flares.

I don't use my lights on take off because it pegs you for a bounce. When I venture near and enemy airfield which happens without vulching and I see lights on the airfield I'll be waiting for you outside of flak. I'll wait until you come out of flak range and come down for a kick. Even if you circle for 10 minutes waiting for your mates I'll be waiting.

I know a lot of others do the same. There is always someone claiming they got vulched 5 to 10 min of flight time post takeoff. You didn't get vulched, you fell asleep and got wrecked.

JG4_Karaya clipped me so often I check six a lot. Thanks Karaya! The ass tanning you gave me so often made me a better pilot!

21 hours ago, II./SG.1-MarkWilhelmsson said:

I think one month one of the admins mentioned there had been like 100 instances of vulching in a month.

75 of those where Germanwolf.   :P

Horrido Wolfy!!

• Like 1

Has anyone else seen any lag hacks or similar? I;m not one to accuse anyone of cheating but there was some suspicious stuff online with one pilot. I usually just chock it up to bad connection but this was a little too convenient to be a connection problem imo.

Not gonna post his name or anything here but if the admins are interested in a clip just let me know. It may have been just server instability.

1 minute ago, Legioneod said:

Has anyone else seen any lag hacks or similar? I;m not one to accuse anyone of cheating but there was some suspicious stuff online with one pilot. I usually just chock it up to bad connection but this was a little too convenient to be a connection problem imo.

Not gonna post his name or anything here but if the admins are interested in a clip just let me know. It may have been just server instability.

What's a lag hack?

1 minute ago, ACG_Smokejumper said:

What's a lag hack?

More common on console but I think it's possible on pc as well. You interrupt your connection just briefly so you lag basically. It can cause things like warping and damage not registering, etc.  

• Sad 1
5 hours ago, Legioneod said:

More common on console but I think it's possible on pc as well. You interrupt your connection just briefly so you lag basically. It can cause things like warping and damage not registering, etc.  

Sometimes activating recording will cause your plane to behave this way to other users.

29 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

Sometimes activating recording will cause your plane to behave this way to other users.

Interesting. I didn't mean me though, someone else was lagging and warping back and forth, he only started doing it once my friend was on his six. Previously he had been on my six and he was fine no lag or warping, then when my buddy came to help me out he started very conveniently warping all over the place so my friend couldn't hit him very well. It actually caused my buddy to crash due to the guy warping into my friends and destroying his wing.

15 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

Interesting. I didn't mean me though, someone else was lagging and warping back and forth, he only started doing it once my friend was on his six. Previously he had been on my six and he was fine no lag or warping, then when my buddy came to help me out he started very conveniently warping all over the place so my friend couldn't hit him very well. It actually caused my buddy to crash due to the guy warping into my friends and destroying his wing.

If he noticed a six and activated his recording this is a possible outcome I'm afraid!