Alonzo

Combat Box by Red Flight

I can see the point that not hitting critical areas results in not-critical damage but, sufficient concentration of hits by any high(er) caliber machine gun should be able to create critical hits - even in non-critical areas.  The .50 should excel at this.  I'll concede that it's probably a monumental task to code such scenarios in-game though.  After all, a structurally intact wing or tail section with little or no actual mechanical damage being de-skinned to the point of uselessness would definitely be a RL possibility.  

38 minutes ago, flynvrtd said:

I find the 50 cal complaints hilarious in light of the number of PK's I've suffered at the front of P-51's while fully evasive recently.

That's very anecdotal. Especially as you don't fly red ever and you probably don't know what it's like to fight with the .50s.

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Birdman said:

That's very anecdotal. Especially as you don't fly red ever and you probably don't know what it's like to fight with the .50s.

One could say my experience is anecdotal if they check my own online stats since the only thing I fly competitively in MP is blue. But I've spent several dozen hours in US planes in the various dogfight meat grinder servers just to get a feel for them and I've had ZERO problems taking down German planes with the .50BMGs. In fact, moving from 109s and 190s to P51s and P38s almost feel to me as if I just enabled a cheat mode. 

Edited by II./SG.1-MarkWilhelmsson
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, II./SG.1-MarkWilhelmsson said:

... In fact, moving from 109s and 190s to P51s and P38s almost feel to me as if I just enabled a cheat mode. 

Speaking of anecdotal.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Birdman said:

Speaking of anecdotal.

The fact that when going to US fighters from German fighters I can perform MUCH better in air to air combat instances is not anecdotal. 

Feels like I switched a cheat on. This is an illustration with respect to how much easier it is for me to perform well when using US planes; it's not anecdotal in the least. Unless I'm the only person in the whole community who performs better in US planes than German ones? Doubt it.

Inserting the word "feel" or some derivative of that word doesn't automatically make my experience anecdotal. That's a simple minded interpretation.

1 hour ago, II./SG.1-MarkWilhelmsson said:

The fact that when going to US fighters from German fighters I can perform MUCH better in air to air combat instances is not anecdotal. 

Feels like I switched a cheat on. This is an illustration with respect to how much easier it is for me to perform well when using US planes; it's not anecdotal in the least. Unless I'm the only person in the whole community who performs better in US planes than German ones? Doubt it.

Inserting the word "feel" or some derivative of that word doesn't automatically make my experience anecdotal. That's a simple minded interpretation.

Hey buddy.  No disrespect.  Do you fly under a different name?  I can't find a record of your flights on cb in the last 6 months.  Maybe I am searching wrong.

On 5/23/2020 at 7:30 PM, KW_1979 said:

100% - it's just getting absurd out there

189 hits on a single 109

160ish hits on a single 109

Both of those aircraft were still fighting or trying to flee for most of the fight before crash landing, still under control.  Is it netcode?  If so I'm not sure what can be done about it.  I'm on gigabit fiber on the US West coast playing on Combat Box, seeing 70-80ms pings - I'm not sure what better MP option there could be unless someone starts a server in my city.  Clearly both my PC and the server are seeing the hits.  That being said, results like this can be had in single player as well.

I think you should test in single player see how it feels . 

Posted (edited)

Cannot spot or see the enemy planes attacking ground targets issues

When  intercepting enemy aircraft over airbases  defending with AAA i am unable to spot the attacking plane that is clearly attacking strafing targets on the base , the tracer is clear from both defending and attackers but i see no plane doing the shooting or even climbing later . My hardware is all default no tweaking . FPS 115 generally , lowest 90 FPS . i use track ir . Any tips would be appreciated . 

Edited by dog1

45 minutes ago, dog1 said:

Cannot spot or see the enemy planes attacking ground targets issues

When  intercepting enemy aircraft over airbases  defending with AAA i am unable to spot the attacking plane that is clearly attacking strafing targets on the base but i see no plane doing the shooting or even climbing later . My hardware is all default no tweaking . FPS 115 generally , lowest 90 FPS . i use track ir . Any tips would be appreciated . 

At which altitude are you?

3 hours ago, VBF-12_Snake9 said:

Hey buddy.  No disrespect.  Do you fly under a different name?  I can't find a record of your flights on cb in the last 6 months.  Maybe I am searching wrong.

I'm curious about why my stats are important in this conversation? I already mentioned that I do axis exclusively in competitive online play; however I spend time in US planes on the meat grinder dogfight servers. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, II./SG.1-MarkWilhelmsson said:

I'm curious about why my stats are important in this conversation? I already mentioned that I do axis exclusively in competitive online play; however I spend time in US planes on the meat grinder dogfight servers. 

Dont bother, for the simple minded, all that counts is logged sorties on CB. Not taking into consideration that they have a training server or that you can fly the 51 online elsewhere too from time to time.

everytime somebody says the .50 is about right with it‘s damage they jump at you with „i dont see any logged sorties on CB“ as if the only place to prove your point is CB sorties. As i said, simple minded... :) 

Edited by H_Stiglitz

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, H_Stiglitz said:

Dont bother, for the simple minded, all that counts is logged sorties on CB. Not taking into consideration that they have a training server or that you can fly the 51 online elsewhere too from time to time.

everytime somebody says the .50 is about right with it‘s damage they jump at you with „i dont see any logged sorties on CB“ as if the only place to prove your point is CB sorties. As i said, simple minded... :) 

Man, going for insults lol

That says all we need to know about you.

Edited by Birdman
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, H_Stiglitz said:

The thing is, I don't feel like I have some level of authority in knowledge when it comes to the .50BMG just because I've used it in game. I've shot .50BMG AP and API and Tracer at a lot of stuff IRL as well so have first hand experience of its effects against different substrates and materials. 

Posted (edited)

At which altitude are you?

at all levels from 3K down to 100mt . At ground level and very close to the target i saw an A20 suddenly lift from the bombing run hardly 200mt away then disappear instantly. I never saw it arrive .

Edited by dog1

34 minutes ago, dog1 said:

at all levels from 3K down to 100mt . At ground level and very close to the target i saw an A20 suddenly lift from the bombing run hardly 200mt away then disappear instantly. I never saw it arrive .

Interesting.. usually aircraft are pretty hard to be spotted against the terrain, but combat box is one of the best server in this.. and also after last patch the things are a little better...

Did it disappears in the air or back to ground?

There is also a "invisible plane" bug, but usually this happen when you fly a close 3 planes formation...

10 hours ago, II./SG.1-MarkWilhelmsson said:

The thing is, I don't feel like I have some level of authority in knowledge when it comes to the .50BMG just because I've used it in game. I've shot .50BMG AP and API and Tracer at a lot of stuff IRL as well so have first hand experience of its effects against different substrates and materials. 

I think your just bullshiting just like your "competitive online flights that make you have a feeling" that no one has any record of you even playing the game.  

This one time I took a 109 and shot down 31 planes in one sortie and I had a feeling.  Lol. Now prove me wrong.  Lol. 

You are hilarious.  

I am having more fun with y'all two than I am playing m.y game.  

That's me hitting a 109.  I blew the wing right off with one round.  You can believe me cause I'm on the internet.  😁

m107-sniper-rifle-004.jpg

Posted (edited)

Did it disappears in the air or back to ground?

today i tried to get a bit closer at Lommel under attack from 3 planes i think one was an P38 and i chased and lost it in between trees over a river i was maybe 150mt away same level not more than 100mt height , i was faster in my FW since i came down and was just tracking him before shooting  and then it disappears .  its happening all the time , i see the bombs , strafing , tracer and just try to spot from 500mt away usually 1000mt high but i see nothing . is there anything i can do to my rig ?  i have a 32 curved high res monitor , my nvidia is the 1060 model , i should see very clearly small moving objects below but i dont . Any sugestions would be appreciated .

Edited by dog1

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, VBF-12_Snake9 said:

I think your just bullshiting just like your "competitive online flights that make you have a feeling" that no one has any record of you even playing the game.  

This one time I took a 109 and shot down 31 planes in one sortie and I had a feeling.  Lol. Now prove me wrong.  Lol. 

You are hilarious.  

I am having more fun with y'all two than I am playing m.y game.  

That's me hitting a 109.  I blew the wing right off with one round.  You can believe me cause I'm on the internet.  😁

m107-sniper-rifle-004.jpg

You may think what you think, doesn't bother me one bit. Just because you don't know how the stat page works doesn't mean you are correct. Last time I played Combat Box, I was using a different name, which is why you don't find stats for me when searching with this one. GTFO.

Everyone thinks the devs borked their favorite thing. Folks had unrealistic expectations of .50BMG performance, so when it came out, it was automatically the devs fault because they nerfed it because of axis bias. Or, the devs didn't do enough research. Etc etc etc.

• Upvote 3

I believe you.  

I really do.  

Your my hero.  😀

Hey my two buddies.  Thanks for the good laughs.  

Since we're talking about feelings..... 

@II./SG.1-MarkWilhelmsson,

You can't really mean that. If you want to make claims of being amazing, try to back them up

.50's are not a crime against humanity by any means. They are lacking essential qualities that made them so well liked by their American pilots (oh API, sweetest dear of mine) and to claim that flying allied birds feels like cheating seems disingenuous. The only way to shoot down a blue bird in a Mustang is to land a solid burst on the engine or pilot. Now thats okay, but its missing the fact that the fuel tank should be an equally vulnerable part of the aircraft. At this point in time, hitting the tank just results on a lot of pretty vapor and not much else. 

Right now a solid 2-4 20mm shells from a German A/C will put most birds out of the fight. That's not a bad thing, but its clear that the 20mm has much more wiggle room as to where you hit your target. So no, flying the 51 isn't cheating. It can certainly be a bit underwhelming at times however.

It should be noted that the games habit of not rendering impact puffs after about 1/4 second of sustained fire does not help most .50 users all that much, since you'll typically need more rounds on target to secure a kill. 

50 minutes ago, QB.Shallot said:

@II./SG.1-MarkWilhelmsson,

You can't really mean that. If you want to make claims of being amazing, try to back them up

.50's are not a crime against humanity by any means. They are lacking essential qualities that made them so well liked by their American pilots (oh API, sweetest dear of mine) and to claim that flying allied birds feels like cheating seems disingenuous. The only way to shoot down a blue bird in a Mustang is to land a solid burst on the engine or pilot. Now thats okay, but its missing the fact that the fuel tank should be an equally vulnerable part of the aircraft. At this point in time, hitting the tank just results on a lot of pretty vapor and not much else. 

Right now a solid 2-4 20mm shells from a German A/C will put most birds out of the fight. That's not a bad thing, but its clear that the 20mm has much more wiggle room as to where you hit your target. So no, flying the 51 isn't cheating. It can certainly be a bit underwhelming at times however.

It should be noted that the games habit of not rendering impact puffs after about 1/4 second of sustained fire does not help most .50 users all that much, since you'll typically need more rounds on target to secure a kill. 

It's not disingenuous, when flying the P51 and P38 in Berloga or the CB dogfight map, I find myself consistently outperforming German planes in the one-on-one fight and also have zero problems with destroying aircraft with the .50BMG. 

It's called a figure of speech. After flying 109s and 190s for so long, going to the P51 and P38 makes winning an engagement so easy for me, that I feel like I'm cheating. Of course I'm not cheating, and the P51 and P38 are not cheat mode planes. What I'm trying to illustrate is the idea that so many people squawk about the allied planes either underperforming or their guns not having enough punch; but a dedicated axis flyer who spends several hours in those planes can't see this when he tries to replicate these issues.

@II./SG.1-MarkWilhelmsson And I can perfectly mirror your claim with hard numbers thanks to not withholding my in game name for no real reason.

https://combatbox.net/en/pilot/553/QB.Shallot/?tour=22

here you can clearly see that I get more kills per hour flying axis, and to boot, when I hit a target as axis, I’m far more likely to secure the kill. There’s a reason I get so many more assists flying as Allies.

Sure, I can outfight most blue aircraft in the 51, that’s fair, but it’s in spite of the .50’s, not because of them. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, II./SG.1-MarkWilhelmsson said:

You may think what you think, doesn't bother me one bit. Just because you don't know how the stat page works doesn't mean you are correct. Last time I played Combat Box, I was using a different name, which is why you don't find stats for me when searching with this one. GTFO.

Just FYI, usernames update as soon as you fly on the server under your new alias, unless you used an entirely different account and copy of Bodenplatte.

if the rule not allow attack aircraft on the ground, does that mean no levelbombing on airfield ?

4 minutes ago, se-link said:

if the rule not allow attack aircraft on the ground, does that mean no levelbombing on airfield ?

Why would you want to? You can't destroy player airfields and it does not contribute towards winning the mission.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

Why would you want to? You can't destroy player airfields and it does not contribute towards winning the mission.

LOL at these people who just go to enormous lengths to find a loophole so they can kill players on the ground. People wonder why rules and regulations have to get stupidly hyper specific, its because people reinterpret the rules to their own favour if you leave any wiggle room.

"No strafing enemy pilots on the ground, eh? I'll use bombs and rockets so it's not technically against the rules!"
"His wheels were six inches off the ground, I counted the pixels before I ganked him!"
"If I level bomb the dispersal areas, and just happen to hit enemy players, is that really an attack?"

My friends, there are perfectly good ground targets right there, ripe for level bombing! You even get points for blowing them up! Alonzo friggin' hand crafts them for your explosive pleasure, they are artisanal ground targets!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

That's 100% correct, and the Reason why Blue Teamplay is so bad. 

2 minutes ago, JG4_Widukind said:

That's 100% correct, and the Reason why Blue Teamplay is so bad. 

That's 100% correct, and the Reason why RED Teamplay is so bad.  See what I did there?

22 hours ago, dog1 said:

today i tried to get a bit closer at Lommel under attack from 3 planes i think one was an P38 and i chased and lost it in between trees over a river i was maybe 150mt away same level not more than 100mt height , i was faster in my FW since i came down and was just tracking him before shooting  and then it disappears .  its happening all the time , i see the bombs , strafing , tracer and just try to spot from 500mt away usually 1000mt high but i see nothing . is there anything i can do to my rig ?  i have a 32 curved high res monitor , my nvidia is the 1060 model , i should see very clearly small moving objects below but i dont . Any sugestions would be appreciated .

Make sure your gamma is set as low as you can go in graphic options. Otherwise, you’re just experiencing the same issues we do. 

2 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

My friends, there are perfectly good ground targets right there, ripe for level bombing! You even get points for blowing them up! Alonzo friggin' hand crafts them for your explosive pleasure, they are artisanal ground targets!

Oh man. This is gonna make its way into a mission description somehow. Artisanal hand-crafted supplies for the front line troops? Small-batch highest quality munitions?

• Haha 5

44 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

Oh man. This is gonna make its way into a mission description somehow. Artisanal hand-crafted supplies for the front line troops? Small-batch highest quality munitions?

Sustainably-sourced dugouts built from local materials!

22 minutes ago, Birdman said:

Sounds like IPAs XD

I'm just going to say it - the ground targets on Combat Box are over-hopped.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Talon_ said:

Just FYI, usernames update as soon as you fly on the server under your new alias, unless you used an entirely different account and copy of Bodenplatte.

Exactly. These folks don't realize this and are assuming that the last time I played on CB was under this name. I'm still not even entirely sure why they are SOOO adamant about looking at my stat page. Oh, I know why; they are going to see that I fly Axis only on CB and use that fact as their reasoning for why they think my comments regarding the lethal ability of .50BMG have no basis.

@II./SG.1-MarkWilhelmsson That’s because out of everyone involved in the discussion about .50’s, you’re the only person who provides completely unfounded and purely subjective claims. Not an ounce of reason to your points.

Posted (edited)

dang, i cant get on the server so I can't scratch the friggin' paint on a 190 with my .50s.  Is the server having probs or am I screwed after doing the update?

Don't forget i the argument about .50s that they work fine on most planes...just not some  hur hur hur  as has always been the case.

Never mind, i couldnt get into mitchells but i was able to join Paravane....time to scratch paint.

Edited by CIA_Elanski
add content

Posted (edited)

Seems like you aren't alone, @CIA_Elanski. Discord traffic says that the admin guys are working of sorting it out though.

Edited by -SF-Disarray

2 hours ago, QB.Shallot said:

@II./SG.1-MarkWilhelmsson That’s because out of everyone involved in the discussion about .50’s, you’re the only person who provides completely unfounded and purely subjective claims. Not an ounce of reason to your points.

I believe I've provided real reasons in the past and in other posts and am tired of repeating it over, especially again to folks that don't understand physics. And it's not just about the .50BMG. It's also about the new 37mm in the Yak 9. I mean FFS here was a guy in another thread who claimed that in order for the projectile to be deflected at all, that the substrate had to first absorb ALL of the KE of the projectile. Lol. Hello, if the projectile has transfered 100% of its energy, then it is no longer moving.