Alonzo

Combat Box by Red Flight

I'm pleased to announce that Operation Paravane is back in the rotation. We completely rebuilt the map to fix whatever was causing the mysterious "server hang" bug, and had 115 players on the map tonight with no problems. Fingers crossed, the new Paravane will continue to work well. All maps now have 'normal' and 'alternate' weather to give you a chance to see how different times of day and cloud cover affect how you will play each mission.

Thanks for flying, everyone!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

I'm pleased to announce that Operation Paravane is back in the rotation. We completely rebuilt the map to fix whatever was causing the mysterious "server hang" bug, and had 115 players on the map tonight with no problems. Fingers crossed, the new Paravane will continue to work well. All maps now have 'normal' and 'alternate' weather to give you a chance to see how different times of day and cloud cover affect how you will play each mission.

Thanks Alonzo,

Having just had a few guys on WOL telling me how easy it was to navigate on your server, the addition of different times of day and weather should make the maps a little bit more interesting for these old timers.

Regards

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Haza said:

Thanks Alonzo,

Having just had a few guys on WOL telling me how easy it was to navigate on your server, the addition of different times of day and weather should make the maps a little bit more interesting for these old timers.

Regards

We’ve made an effort to make it navigable, even though GPS is off. I’d say Operation Eisenhammer is the most difficult because it’s a winter map on Moscow, but we’ve added smoking towns and bombed out airfields to help a bit. The other maps usually have distinguishing features and targets in sensible places that help with nav. Personally I think Combat Box is about the gentlest introduction someone is going to get to GPS-off multiplayer (whether or not that is a good thing can be debated of course!)

• Upvote 3

First off, I love the server. Maybe it’s me, but do the missions seem awfully short to anyone else? 

8 hours ago, 334th_Five-O said:

First off, I love the server. Maybe it’s me, but do the missions seem awfully short to anyone else? 

Depends. The targets can be taken down really quickly by an organized strike package, and the flight times are short. But other times it can take a long while if server numbers permit effective air cover.

Some missions have great radar coverage. This cuts the surprise. Would it be possible to limit the use of radar on maps where it is very constant? I think the radar can ward off players

Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2019 at 12:58 AM, Alonzo said:

115 players? What? How? I thought the server limit was 84?

Edited by JonRedcorn

2 hours ago, LUZITANO said:

I think the radar can ward off players

I think the opposite, it ATTRACT players... The radar is a nice feature and I wouldnt like to see it gone, and I noticed that the radar calls always happens in the same places/grids, meaning that if you wanna avoid it just take the longer route around

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, JonRedcorn said:

115 players? What? How? I thought the server limit was 84?

Not simultaneously, 115 players over the course of the mission.

Behalf of 334th Eagle squadron i thank you for nice server .

334th_Virtue 

334th CO

12390997_814183702023420_8138575521268721008_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

If I might make a suggestion regarding the D-Day map... Right now the victory conditions are that the allies defend their landing areas and destroy enemy ground opposition in the first phase, and in the second phase need to destroy 3 of 4 of the "Transportation Plan" targets. The Axis side, on the other hand, only has to 'survive' the invasion (i.e. prevent the allies from destroying the ground opposition and/or transportation targets. This results in some maps where the allies have successfully established all their beachheads and completed destroying 2 of 4 transportation targets (and nearly destroyed a third, in one map I was playing recently) but when the timer runs out, Axis wins the map. it also produces scenarios where maps at slow times during the day result in Axis victory, even when no one flew on the map at all.  

I think overall this incentivises the axis to not bother attacking ground targets at all, and requires them to only defend 2 of 4 ground targets in the map endgame.

While this is a sim and can't be perfect reality, I think that allowing the enemy to establish an entrenched beachhead isn't a victory in any sense, even if you manage to defend some of your infrastructure. 

I propose that the victory conditions for the axis in the second phase require the destruction of at least two beachheads to gain victory for the axis. Failure to do so results in a draw, like the other maps. 

This isn't a big deal, just something I was thinking about. The actual map itself I think is good, better now than at launch.

• Upvote 1

On 5/12/2019 at 12:11 PM, LUZITANO said:

Some missions have great radar coverage. This cuts the surprise. Would it be possible to limit the use of radar on maps where it is very constant? I think the radar can ward off players

The different maps have different 'warning' features. Some maps have 'spotting' near large towns or major targets. This is to simulate a lookout with a pair of binoculars spotting incoming planes. Max range is 10km from target, usually a little less like 8km. At 400km/h which basically any plane can do, that's just over a 1 minute warning. Spotting always works, but there's something like a 5-6 minute 'reset' period for each spotting zone.

Other maps have full-on radar which can detect planes at strategic locations on the map. Usually over a front line or on likely routes to major targets. If the map contains a "radar installation" (like on Operation Paravane) then destroying that objective will deactivate radar for your opponent. Some maps are asymmetric, with spotting on one side and Radar on the other -- Operation Eisenhammer is like this, because it's a Luftwaffe attack on Moscow, and so it seems fair that the Soviets would have had radar on their side. But as with a spotting zone, radar zones only report at most every 5 or 6 minutes.

4 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

If I might make a suggestion regarding the D-Day map...

I think these are very good suggestions and I will add them to the backlog. I agree that it's weird that there isn't a stalemate condition, and it does skew the overall win rates for the maps. To be honest right now we're looking at making entirely new maps rather than fixing up D-Day (it's already a love it or hate it map) but if we do get time to look at it, stalemate would be a good addition.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

The different maps have different 'warning' features. Some maps have 'spotting' near large towns or major targets. This is to simulate a lookout with a pair of binoculars spotting incoming planes. Max range is 10km from target, usually a little less like 8km. At 400km/h which basically any plane can do, that's just over a 1 minute warning. Spotting always works, but there's something like a 5-6 minute 'reset' period for each spotting zone.

Other maps have full-on radar which can detect planes at strategic locations on the map. Usually over a front line or on likely routes to major targets. If the map contains a "radar installation" (like on Operation Paravane) then destroying that objective will deactivate radar for your opponent. Some maps are asymmetric, with spotting on one side and Radar on the other -- Operation Eisenhammer is like this, because it's a Luftwaffe attack on Moscow, and so it seems fair that the Soviets would have had radar on their side. But as with a spotting zone, radar zones only report at most every 5 or 6 minutes.

I think these are very good suggestions and I will add them to the backlog. I agree that it's weird that there isn't a stalemate condition, and it does skew the overall win rates for the maps. To be honest right now we're looking at making entirely new maps rather than fixing up D-Day (it's already a love it or hate it map) but if we do get time to look at it, stalemate would be a good addition.

Thanks. I know you guys are busy, rest assured you already have a great server here!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2019 at 4:19 PM, Willy__ said:

The radar is a nice feature 

Maybe it's good for people who are playing defensively. Waiting for the enemy to attack the ground targets

We know that in the second war some fighters were guided by Radar's control, but this was in specific missions 
It was unusual, I believe, to send random messages to all pilots revealing enemy positions

A constant and omniscient radar depersonalizes WWII-style aerial battles. The magic is in the surprise
I'm doing a campaign on the best server map, D-Day. Luckily it has little radar

Edited by LUZITANO
  • Like 1

Hello, unable to join the server right now...  Since 25 '.

Thank you for this server by the way.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, LUZITANO said:

Maybe it's good for people who are playing defensively. Waiting for the enemy to attack the ground targets

We know that in the second war some fighters were guided by Radar's control, but this was in specific missions 
It was unusual, I believe, to send random messages to all pilots revealing enemy positions

A constant and omniscient radar depersonalizes WWII-style aerial battles. The magic is in the surprise
I'm doing a campaign on the best server map, D-Day. Luckily it has little radar

Radar wasn't super common, true, but spotters were. For example, at Stalingrad, the Soviets had a whole system put in place with radio and telephone equipped forward observation posts specifically placed to spot Axis aircraft as they were on the way to hit targets. Even the Brits used this kind of system when they had radar set up as the systems were easy to put out of action. Knowing the general location, as in a 10 km^2 area, is often less information than real pilots had to work with. It is a good compromise, I think, between reality and entertaining game play.

Edited by Disarray
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 615sqn_Buzz said:

Hello, unable to join the server right now...  Since 25 '.

Thank you for this server by the way.

Thanks for the report, it´s back up now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Disarray said:

Knowing the general location, as in a 10 km^2 area, is often less information than real pilots had to work with. It is a good compromise, I think, between reality and entertaining game play.

Exactly. In reality, ground spotters would have been able to ID an approximate number of aircraft, types, altitude, and current heading. In game we can't really do much better than "aircraft spotted!" although on the Eisenhammer map we do have high/low radar that gives an approximate altitude. But still no heading, and no indication of whether it was a single enemy plane that triggered it, or a whole squadron.

We had some feedback that the spotting zones help people find action even when there are a smaller number of planes on the server. In addition, it does seem reasonable that you'd be able to spot enemy planes headed to important locations. Spotting only works every 5-6 minutes. For all those reasons we're keeping it in game. 

If people are worried about it being used to uncover an attack, you could easily feint and send a single fighter ahead to deliberately trigger spotting zones, then only show up 5 minutes later when defenders have gotten bored and gone elsewhere. Or you could deliberately trigger a spotting zone in an area of the map where your main force was not headed.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Let's have an informal vote
Reactions:
:lol:   Haha for "yes Radar"

:cray:Sad for    "no Radar"

I can not react on my own, but the reaction is "very sad"

• Haha 3

I played several maps recreating battles in late war, but of all the servers and maps I've played D-Day, June 1944 is the best. Thanks Alonzo, this map is wonderful!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Another D-Day video, this time from Mordrac and featuring Haluter, Jakerthesnak and Nabuli0. Pretty epic ship bombing runs in here!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2019 at 2:26 PM, RedKestrel said:

If I might make a suggestion regarding the D-Day map...

I propose that the victory conditions for the axis in the second phase require the destruction of at least two beachheads to gain victory for the axis. Failure to do so results in a draw, like the other maps. 

This isn't a big deal, just something I was thinking about. The actual map itself I think is good, better now than at launch.

For simplicity, I've updated the win condition logic as follows:

• If Germany destroys the fleets, they win outright early in the map.
  • If the Allies succeed in landing, they establish beachheads and start the transportation targets phase. 
  • If the Allies destroy 3 out of 4 transportation targets, they win the map.
  • If the Germans destroy all 3 beachheads, they win the map.
  • Otherwise the map is a stalemate.

This was a simple logic change and I think helps a lot -- the "default" is a stalemate and both sides need to get out there and do some damage to make it a victory.

Edited by Alonzo
  • Upvote 1

On 5/17/2019 at 2:33 PM, LUZITANO said:

I played several maps recreating battles in late war, but of all the servers and maps I've played D-Day, June 1944 is the best. Thanks Alonzo, this map is wonderful!!!

Nice video!

I'm amazed by your attack at 2:36.  You attacked as most  Blue players do when attacking a Pe-2 and everybody lectures how not to attack an aircraft with a rear-gunner.  Yet you did the exact thing against two Ju-88s that most guys do against one Pe-2 and you were hit a few times, yet I've seen so may 109s either get set on fire, engine seized or usually PK'd, so thank you for high-lighting to me, anyway, the PE-2 gunner issue.  In addition, I never realised how far in you could lean into the gun-sights (7:34), as to me that just looked ridiculous, but not your fault! 

It will be interesting to see what happens when Bodenplatte is finally released as I think that the Tempest will make both the P-51 and P-47 obsolete!!

Anyway, cheers for the video and showing the fun to be had on Combat-Box.

Regards

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Haza said:

how far in you could lean into the gun-sights (7:34), as to me that just looked ridiculous

I think that is a combination of leaning forward to the max and then zooming in (almost) fully. Looks pretty much the same on 109s too.

Edited by =FC=SteelFalcon

Just now, =FC=SteelFalcon said:

I think that is a combination of leaning forward to the max and then zooming in (almost) fully. Looks pretty much the same on 109s too.

=FC=SteelFalcon,

Thank you for the 109 clarification, however, I've never leant in that far into any of the sights of any aircraft in this game, although perhaps that is owing to the fact that I only use a hat-switch and the mouse so there is little time to move about.

That said I can certainly see the advantages of doing it, but it still looks strange, although I guess if you can do that whilst pulling +/-G, I can see now why guys can be so accurate in tight fights.  I perhaps need to try it out! 

Regards

@Haza It is worth a try, absolutely. Pulled off some crazy deflection shots just yesterday on Combat box. It helps a lot to lean that far forward as the enemy does not seem to disappear below the nose that quick (at least it feels like it). Although it is not very realistic...well, maybe in level flight, but G force does not apply to our gaming chair so it also works at high +/- G numbers ;) 

cheers!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Haza said:

Nice video!

I'm amazed by your attack at 2:36.  You attacked as most  Blue players do when attacking a Pe-2 and everybody lectures how not to attack an aircraft with a rear-gunner.  Yet you did the exact thing against two Ju-88s that most guys do against one Pe-2 and you were hit a few times, yet I've seen so may 109s either get set on fire, engine seized or usually PK'd, so thank you for high-lighting to me, anyway, the PE-2 gunner issue.  In addition, I never realised how far in you could lean into the gun-sights (7:34), as to me that just looked ridiculous, but not your fault! 

It will be interesting to see what happens when Bodenplatte is finally released as I think that the Tempest will make both the P-51 and P-47 obsolete!!

Regards

I attacked a single Ju-88 in the same way on KOTA and a single bullet took out my engine well before I even got within firing range. Attacks like that are risky, not instantly fatal. Its worse on the Pe-2 because with the blister turret and the 12.7mm the gunner is just better equipped to kill you.

Man, I really wish the Pe-2 gunners were as kill-happy as people say, I'd feel safer flying a Pe-2. As it is, I've never survived an encounter with an enemy fighter, and my gunners have only killed the guys that hung around on my tail hammering me for 10+ seconds. hell, my A-20 gunners have a better success rate than my Pe-2, and everyone agrees the A-20s defensive armament arrangement is crap.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Man, I really wish the Pe-2 gunners were as kill-happy as people say, I'd feel safer flying a Pe-2. As it is, I've never survived an encounter with an enemy fighter, and my gunners have only killed the guys that hung around on my tail hammering me for 10+ seconds. hell, my A-20 gunners have a better success rate than my Pe-2, and everyone agrees the A-20s defensive armament arrangement is crap.

When flying alone without fighter escort, I've used this tactic with moderate success flying the Pe-2 against enemy fighters that boom-and-zoom me. Every time the fighter "zooms", my rear gunner gets a shot at it and once in awhile I get a shot with the front gun, depending on the path the fighter takes. Many times, I end up going down anyway, but at least I get a reasonable chance to even the score (plus it's fun to frustrate the fighters looking for easy pickings).  :)

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Yesterday night,

I understand that in the action of a fight with several planes we can shoot a bad target (a friend) ...
But here we are above a blue target and I attack that target.
What irritates me the most is that  guy did not even apologize ...

Who is this hero?

Edited by 615sqn_Buzz

Haha Thank you Flesch. I just flew at the same time as him, just now... He did not kill me this time. 😁

I'm pleased to announce we are launching a new map this Friday at 20:00 UTC. We'll also be featuring the map throughout the evening and weekend so everyone can get a chance to play it and give feedback. This new map was conceptualized by The Nines, with significant input from Sketch, and play testing from Psyrion, Col. Ninny and the rest of Red Flight.

The Crimean Offensive

Spring, 1944. After a long winter the Germans find themselves increasingly isolated in the Crimea, having been driven back by the Russians the previous Autumn. Keeping a foothold in the region is important because losing Crimea would allow Soviet attacks on Romanian oilfields, weakening the Axis position. The Soviets, aided by the Allies, prepare to cross the Kerch Strait and attack German positions.

Mission conditions:

• 0630 hours, April 10th, 1944
  • Scattered clouds with light winds from the south

Both sides send warships and commence air strikes, while expecting reinforcements and supplies from friendly territory. Fighting is expected to be fierce and objectives range from lightly defended artillery and defensive positions to heavily defended industrial and munitions complexes. As usual with a Combat Box map, late war planes are available, targets are complex and realistic with cinematic effects and lighting, and both sides have a spotting network to alert for enemy planes and guide the action.

Victory conditions:

Each side must destroy enemy targets while defending friendly targets. The first side to destroy the majority of enemy targets will win. If time runs out, the side that has destroyed the most objectives wins.

Crimea-3-1k.jpg.25aef2f1a40b2571bfdf57560ee0b445.jpg

Crimea-4-1k.jpg.64e138ea0e6eae4a01d856a12c39a1ed.jpg

We know everyone has TAW fever right now (and that's fine, it's an awesome server and campaign!) but we hope folks will also choose to try the new map during our launch event and weekend. See you in the skies!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2019 at 3:16 AM, Haza said:

Nice video!

I'm amazed by your attack at 2:36.  You attacked as most  Blue players do when attacking a Pe-2 and everybody lectures how not to attack an aircraft with a rear-gunner.  Yet you did the exact thing against two Ju-88s that most guys do against one Pe-2 and you were hit a few times, yet I've seen so may 109s either get set on fire, engine seized or usually PK'd, so thank you for high-lighting to me, anyway, the PE-2 gunner issue. 

Well...  Ju-88 is a obsolete bomber from 1941  with defensive armament of Top: 7.92mm MG 81 / Belly: 2 x 7.92mmMG 81. In other words, only a very weak machine gun at the top. Underneath I went very fast to be hit by the others machine guns. P-47 8x .50. Powerful armament, heavy and sturdy airplane

And for water cooled aircrafts like Yak, 109,  Spitfire and P-51 the engine stops with only a single shot. Yesterday I was shot down by a He-111 inside the cloud. I was following a 190 and the 111 hit my La-5FN with the 20mm rear gunner.  Attacking a He-111 H-16 I would never do the same thing I did with the Ju-88s

In addition, I never realised how far in you could lean into the gun-sights (7:34), as to me that just looked ridiculous, but not your fault! 

I use 4 controls to zoom and some are mixed with head movement (forward and backward)
3/4 for zoom out (and head moviment) and one for zoom in with head moviment forward. It is super complex

Regards

Yes you are right. Let's hope what kind of version will come, if it's going to be 11lb. Tempest is the best airplane! 

Edited by LUZITANO

On 5/21/2019 at 8:16 AM, Haza said:

In addition, I never realised how far in you could lean into the gun-sights (7:34), as to me that just looked ridiculous, but not your fault! 

I always look on it as a recreation of the tunnel vision your brain creates in real life but we don't get from looking at a PC screen.       In a real life situation like that your brain completely ignores everything in the field of view apart from that gunsight and it extracts every last bit of detail. Your whole brain is focused on the target and even if you were to get yourself hypnotised to bring back the memory there would be nothing else in your memory apart from that small circle.   Looking at a PC screen without zooming in you see everything and the target seems much smaller as you are also noticing the canopy frame and ground details and clouds etc.     

There was a very famous experiment (and the video is on Youtube) where volunteers were asked to watch a minute or so of a basketball game and count how many times the players of one side pass the ball.   During this clip a man in a gorilla suit walks across the court  in full view, stopping briefly in the middle of the court yet after the video was turned off hardly any of the volunteers remembered seeing him when asked and would not believe it happened unless shown the video again.     Your brain sees what it expects to see and a huge portion of what you remember seeing is actually made up... and that is before we consider the errors in recalling memories! 🙂

• Upvote 1

Maybe they are preparing for the new map they're releasing today.

1 hour ago, 615sqn_Buzz said:

Hello, Combat box don't work now?

1 hour ago, VBF-12_Mister26 said:

I can't join either....

30 minutes ago, JimTM said:

Maybe they are preparing for the new map they're releasing today.

Hmm. Looks like I need to implement a daily reboot for the server. I'll take it offline for the next hour ready for the new map, it will be back at 20:00 UTC. Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for the report.