Alonzo

Combat Box by Red Flight

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, flynvrtd said:

People have mentioned preferring historical situations.

The historical argument is most often an excuse to hide the desire to obtain an advantage. In any case, many historical parameters cannot enter in this simulator and others would harm the game. It is therefore a bad idea.

Edited by Otto_bann
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 69th_Mobile_BBQ said:

Tonight, on Legend of Y-29, a Ju-87 pilot landed on the runway of B-78 (the AAA defenses were already destroyed of course) and decided to go for a drive with his tail gunner shooting parked planes.  What are the rules on vulching in that situation?  

Had AAA take out the engine in my A5 last night attacking B90 with a group of 110's and other 109's and 190's.

I was able to make one last strafing pass before the engine died in just the right moment to allow me to land on the runway there.

I hit record and got what should be a great track of the attack as it was finished up with enemy fighters trying to defend against our attack.

7 hours ago, III./JG7-MarkWilhelmsson said:

Shooting parachutes is a good thing to do if they linger. If an enemy bails out and stays in parachute for more than 10 or 15 seconds I'll shoot if I'm set up to do it. Reason is this; many people stay in parachute and are in voice chat and are guiding their wingmen using their new advantageous view of the entire surrounding area. This is akin to cheating in my book. Realistically, if you bail out, the radio went away with the plane. Being able to guide your friends in a fight while in the silk is creating unrealistic imbalance in the fight. 

This makes zero sense.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, III./JG7-MarkWilhelmsson said:

Shooting parachutes is a good thing to do if they linger. If an enemy bails out and stays in parachute for more than 10 or 15 seconds I'll shoot if I'm set up to do it. Reason is this; many people stay in parachute and are in voice chat and are guiding their wingmen using their new advantageous view of the entire surrounding area. This is akin to cheating in my book. Realistically, if you bail out, the radio went away with the plane. Being able to guide your friends in a fight while in the silk is creating unrealistic imbalance in the fight. 

What if both carry a handie talkie?

149px-Portable_radio_SCR536.png

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, III./JG7-MarkWilhelmsson said:

How does it not? It seems as though you read and comprehend English very well; so would you care to expound?

It is a video game. You don't throw the game in the bin when you get killed. Nobody stops talking on discord bc they're passed out /killed in game.

We'd be tackling game imbalance way better if people were willing to change teams instead of seeing the big stacks that occurs at times imho. 

Shooting parachutes achieves nothing, most of the information has been passed on by the time you shoot the chute anyways and 99% of the time the only thing you'll do is build up a reputation as a distasteful player. And why would you waste time shooting a chute instead of rebuilding your position/energy advantage for the next encounter anyways.

So you can try to justify it anyway you want, it makes no sense.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, Birdman said:

It is a video game. You don't throw the game in the bin when you get killed. Nobody stops talking on discord bc they're passed out /killed in game.

We'd be tackling game imbalance way better if people were willing to change teams instead of seeing the big stacks that occurs at times imho. 

Shooting parachutes achieves nothing, most of the information has been passed on by the time you shoot the chute anyways and 99% of the time the only thing you'll do is build up a reputation as a distasteful player. And why would you waste time shooting a chute instead of rebuilding your position/energy advantage for the next encounter anyways.

So you can try to justify it anyway you want, it makes no sense.

I'll maintain a respectful disagreement with your conclusion. I've had wingmen bail out and help me defeat enemies by relaying information to me for several minutes while they were in the chute. Many of those times I would have likely been destroyed if it weren't for them guiding my manouvres in order to evade attacks. After these occurance I felt like I had an unfair advantage because of the communication.

2 minutes ago, III./JG7-MarkWilhelmsson said:

I'll maintain a respectful disagreement with your conclusion. I've had wingmen bail out and help me defeat enemies by relaying information to me for several minutes while they were in the chute. Many of those times I would have likely been destroyed if it weren't for them guiding my manouvres in order to evade attacks. After these occurance I felt like I had an unfair advantage because of the communication.

It is interesting that you tolerate it when it benefits you but not when it may benefit your opponents.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, III./JG7-MarkWilhelmsson said:

I think this is similar to people using cameras after they die in Rainbow Six. I have no issue with this as it isn't an unfair advantage and if the other side wants to do it too they're welcome too. It's a game.

11 minutes ago, III./JG7-MarkWilhelmsson said:

So what's the gain from killing a guy in a chute?

Pro: You maybe take a spotter out of the fight
Con:  you wind up burning energy and ammo, and spending precious time and attention on a target that can do you no harm. Also, you look like a dick. 

Really hard decision there!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RedKestrel said:

So what's the gain from killing a guy in a chute?

Pro: You maybe take a spotter out of the fight
Con:  you wind up burning energy and ammo, and spending precious time and attention on a target that can do you no harm. Also, you look like a dick. 

Really hard decision there!

Whatever you say. Obviously only a complete idiot would do it if it significantly jeopardizes their own survivability. 

Posted (edited)

Wait... if you're killed on your chute, I think you can always look around you, no? I may be wrong.

But if I'm not, this argument dic... hem sorry, chutekillers... are using to justify themself, is not valid.

EDIT:

Spoiler

Seems I was right... XD

Edited by JG300_Faucon
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, JG300_Faucon said:

Wait... if you're killed on your chute, I think you can always look around you, no? I may be wrong.

But if I'm not, this argument dic... hem sorry, chutekillers... are using to justify themself, is not valid.

EDIT:

Hide contents

Seems I was right... XD

That reasoning was already pretty flimsy, and now we see that it doesn't even work. Why am I not surprised?

I'm just going to encourage people to go ahead and chute kill me, though. It doesn't mean anything, you can't hurt my feelings since I die so much anyway, and if you want to waste bullets and risk your virtual life for literally no impact on the game, be my guest.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

That reasoning was already pretty flimsy, and now we see that it doesn't even work. Why am I not surprised?

I'm just going to encourage people to go ahead and chute kill me, though. It doesn't mean anything, you can't hurt my feelings since I die so much anyway, and if you want to waste bullets and risk your virtual life for literally no impact on the game, be my guest.

I mean, it's not about trying to hurt anyone's feelings haha. 

Hopefully if someone thinks they may get killed in the silk they will despawn. 

I kind of try to stay alive and see how many hours and points I can get with a single virtual life. I despawn immediately after bailout because I've been shot in my chute quite a bit when I use to play in WoL. 

6 minutes ago, III./JG7-MarkWilhelmsson said:

I mean, it's not about trying to hurt anyone's feelings haha. 

Hopefully if someone thinks they may get killed in the silk they will despawn. 

I kind of try to stay alive and see how many hours and points I can get with a single virtual life. I despawn immediately after bailout because I've been shot in my chute quite a bit when I use to play in WoL. 

Well what's it about then? We've established that there's no practical reason to do it, its not like TAW where pilot deaths count towards the campaign. So the only thing it accomplishes is ending some guy's streak and ticking him off. It's the teabagging of the sim world.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

A question to the administrators.

Why the blue side has AAA in cities close to the airfields such as Aschen on the Y-29 map and Asch on the Eindhoven map, and there is no such thing for the red side? 

The only map that had something like this was Mitchells Men and it looks like it was taken.

If the Tempest's ridiculous number of planes in the maps wasn't enough, will this help for one side to the detriment of the other?

40 minutes ago, =ABr=422nd_RedSkull said:

The only map that had something like this was Mitchells Men and it looks like it was taken.

What do you mean by 'it was taken'?     If you mean you think it was taken away then I flew Mitchells Men yesterday and had to run the gauntlet of AAA at 18,000ft while approaching the target area.

21 hours ago, 69th_Mobile_BBQ said:

Tonight, on Legend of Y-29, a Ju-87 pilot landed on the runway of B-78 (the AAA defenses were already destroyed of course) and decided to go for a drive with his tail gunner shooting parked planes.  What are the rules on vulching in that situation?  

B-78 isn't a player field so I wouldn't call this vulching, but I would say it's strongly against the spirit of the game and falls into the "exploit" category. Do you have a sortie log for them, by chance?

13 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

Why am I not surprised?

12 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

Well what's it about then?

Easy to deduce : Twisted point of view, twisted behaviors, twisted arguments... at least we admit one thing : it's coherent

18 hours ago, Birdman said:

It is interesting that you tolerate it when it benefits you but not when it may benefit your opponents.

I don't tolerate it. I mentioned that I felt like it was unfair when it happened for me and that fact caused me to lose a certain amount of immersion. I enjoy trying to be as realistic as practically possible. The more gamey anomalies we can get rid of, the more fun the experience is in my opinion. I get it that not everyone thinks that way, but that's just the way that some folks enjoy the sim experience. I'm annoyed that so many people complain about vulching, but I obey the rule and only raise a small fit over it because I understand that many folks don't like being shot on the ground. One of the reasons I enjoy combat box so much is that the administration constantly tries new things to balance the experience for different types of players. Permitting me to wipe out someone on their takeoff/landing circuit is a nice allowance in exchange for disallowing vulching while they are on the ground. 

New map will debut today! Please join us for The Rhineland Campaign at 1600 Eastern, 2000 UTC and also 2100 Eastern, 0100 UTC. Map concept by @björn with implementation by me. Although this is named a 'campaign' it's still a single 2.5hr mission, but it has some 'campaign feel' to it. See poster for details. Big thanks to everyone who helped with this, especially @haluter and @Mordrac for extensive help with testing alpha versions, and to @Riksen for his excellent artwork.

CB_Rhineland_Campaign_Mission.thumb.jpg.fe98572da690a0a6f1ba2fd195119f7e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Alonzo said:

New map will debut today! Please join us for The Rhineland Campaign at 1600 Eastern, 2000 UTC and also 2100 Eastern, 0100 UTC. Map concept by @björn with implementation by me. Although this is named a 'campaign' it's still a single 2.5hr mission, but it has some 'campaign feel' to it. See poster for details. Big thanks to everyone who helped with this, especially @haluter and @Mordrac for extensive help with testing alpha versions, and to @Riksen for his excellent artwork.

CB_Rhineland_Campaign_Mission.thumb.jpg.fe98572da690a0a6f1ba2fd195119f7e.jpg

Hell yeah, train attacks! I always liked attacking the train in the D-day mission way back. 

We're putting Battle of the Scheldt back into rotation today and clarifying the rules around vulching.

Attacking players who are on the ground or within 30 seconds of takeoff is not allowed. The admins take a dim view of vulching; we think it is anti-fun and unrealistic -- airfields historically would have had upwards of 300 flak guns protecting them. Airfields on Combat Box are not absolute "safe zones" -- pilots who take off while their field is under attack should know they are taking their virtual life in their hands. Players who repeatedly engage in vulching -- whether they are breaking the letter of the rules or not -- will be asked politely to desist, then given a short vacation from the server. The admin team will process complaints in the #support Discord channel only, and any complaint should be backed up by a sortie log from our website and/or a TacView showing the problem. We're also working on an automated script to enforce the 30-second no-kill timer.

Examples of how these rules apply:

• Chasing a bandit back to base and shooting them down before they land - ALLOWED
  • Patrolling airspace between an enemy field and mission objectives, and attacking players while they are in their initial climb out - ALLOWED
  • Attacking players who have their wheels on the ground at an airfield, strafing, bombing, rockets, whatever - NOT ALLOWED
  • Attacking players who have recently taken off - NOT ALLOWED
  • Taking a squad to patrol an enemy airfield and claiming "we're preventing enemy pilots from entering the fight" -- probably fails the "being a dick" rule, likely to incite an opposite and escalating response from the enemy team, not recommended, might result in a ban.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Alonzo said:

We're putting Battle of the Scheldt back into rotation today and clarifying the rules around vulching.

Attacking players who are on the ground or within 30 seconds of takeoff is not allowed. The admins take a dim view of vulching; we think it is anti-fun and unrealistic -- airfields historically would have had upwards of 300 flak guns protecting them. Airfields on Combat Box are not absolute "safe zones" -- pilots who take off while their field is under attack should know they are taking their virtual life in their hands. Players who repeatedly engage in vulching -- whether they are breaking the letter of the rules or not -- will be asked politely to desist, then given a short vacation from the server. The admin team will process complaints in the #support Discord channel only, and any complaint should be backed up by a sortie log from our website and/or a TacView showing the problem. We're also working on an automated script to enforce the 30-second no-kill timer.

Examples of how these rules apply:

• Chasing a bandit back to base and shooting them down before they land - ALLOWED
  • Patrolling airspace between an enemy field and mission objectives, and attacking players while they are in their initial climb out - ALLOWED
  • Attacking players who have their wheels on the ground at an airfield, strafing, bombing, rockets, whatever - NOT ALLOWED
  • Attacking players who have recently taken off - NOT ALLOWED
  • Taking a squad to patrol an enemy airfield and claiming "we're preventing enemy pilots from entering the fight" -- probably fails the "being a dick" rule, likely to incite an opposite and escalating response from the enemy team, not recommended, might result in a ban.

Glad to hear Scheldt is back in the rotation.
As for the clarification, probably for the best, though I personally felt the rules as previously explained were clear enough. 

If people ever wonder why so many things in the world have very specific rules, warnings and red tape, when it should just be as simple as "Don't be a jerk to people" or "use common sense" - well, exhibit A is this whole issue. 

If a few people had just stepped back, and thought for a second and said to themselves "hmmm, maybe this vulching rule, as stated, also implies that shooting people within seconds of takeoff is also Not Cool, and that by extension trying to find increasingly specific justifications for shooting people on rollout is a Dick Move. Perhaps I will not do that to play it safe and promote a Spirit of Fun and Competition!" then we would not need this new rule, the admins wouldn't need to put together an automated script and spend time enforcing this stuff, and no one would be getting banned. 

I mean, player goodwill would probably be so good that no one could bring themselves to shoot anymore, and we would have to get out of the planes and have a soccer/football match in the streets of Eindhoven. Although then we would have to get Alonzo a snazzy ref's uniform.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Alonzo said:

B-78 isn't a player field so I wouldn't call this vulching, but I would say it's strongly against the spirit of the game and falls into the "exploit" category. Do you have a sortie log for them, by chance?

I didn't touch them so I have no log.  Somebody else did set them on fire though.  Apparently a Stuka on the ground, on fire, will take over 2 minutes to finally burn up.   😮

New map seems pretty awesome thanks for all the hard work out into it. Well designed and implemented maps are the reason why I've been considering being a decent monthly donor to the team.

As for the rule clarification, I bet your problems and annoyances with having to police complaints and enforce rules and all that stuff are worse than the likely small number of complaints about the relatively rare times that a vulcher is successful in killing players on the ground. Just saying 😉

Posted (edited)
On 4/2/2020 at 7:44 AM, flynvrtd said:

Had AAA take out the engine in my A5 last night attacking B90 with a group of 110's and other 109's and 190's.

I was able to make one last strafing pass before the engine died in just the right moment to allow me to land on the runway there.

I hit record and got what should be a great track of the attack as it was finished up with enemy fighters trying to defend against our attack.

That's a little different,  you couldn't be Sunday driving around an airfield attacking with the tail gunner with a dead stick A5.  

Edited by 69th_Mobile_BBQ

This is the first, and surely the last time, that I register in a forum to deal with a rather delicate topic for the simmer community: VULCHING
I am not going to be the representative of anyone but myself, but I think that most people in the community have a similar opinion: vulching is only fun for the people who practice it. Is Bulling fair and fun? Surely for the Biff Tannen who practice it, but I have always been a fanboy of George and Marty McFly and how a "Coupe de force" at the right time can, and should, change the future.

Aspects that dismantle the justification of Vulching:

- Historical:
1-In 1944-45 the majority of allied planes, escorts and heavy bombers that entered German territory (I have said German territory not territories under german occupation) were based in England, for multiple safety reasons for the fulfillment of the missions.
2- After Normandy, even before,  Luftwaffe in occidental front was a retreating army focused on stopping strategic bomber raids within and / or close to the German borders due to fuel, aircraft and pilot shortages.
3- From June 6, 1944 to January 1, 1945 (Operation Bodenplatte), the few Luftwaffe troops available on the western front were limited to close air support by retreating ground troops. NEVER, I insist in NEVER , to launch suicidal ground attacks  (they did not have the "super power" of respawning) on close allied airfields, or at least not as close as in our game: I insist again on shortage of planes, fuel and pilots ( shortage of pilots is pretty well simulated on some other servers).
4- NEVER, I insist in NEVER , the Me.262 were used as lawn mowers and marauders of airfields. Their bases were well camouflaged and far away from the front line, so their short flight range was limited to a few hundred miles from their bases, and their only main task was fight heavy bombers massive combat boxes and evade escorting fighters.

I could spend hours and hours talking about this topic, but I will bore you no more with history classes. 

- Software / Hardware limitations: This beloved / hated game is not perfect (if someone afirm it otherwise it is that he lives in a parallel reality because he never takes off his VR glasses and / or is the chief marketing officer of 1C (yes I would also do the same if I were that) and it has many limitations that servers content creators must "cheat"(maybe not the correct word) to make the games playable for a large majority of players with different home hardware/software equipments and at different physical distances from the E-server.

All this is known to anyone who is consider her/himself a "simmer" and a "WW2 simmer" and a few of this whole community love being Biff Tannen, but Biff was one, he was known as Biff (he got no nickname to preserve his real identity) and he was proud to be Biff. Now cowards are cool and they are proud to be,.....I am very sorry "divas" there is a new kid on the block, who does not shake his pulse, neither in the cockpit nor in the ingame chat. This is a message for the entire community: do not be afraid to publicly denounce those dudes and their bad attitudes and actions, as they are a cancer that first attacks the servers and then the game itself. This is an issue that all community members: Players, server administrators and game developers must cooperate to stop those trolls.

I want to send one last message to everyone, trolls and not trolls: in this game everyone, sooner or later, better or worse, lonesome wolfs or wolfpacks we end up hunting and / or being hunted... EVERYONE. People forget very quickly, or do not even memorize these data: if you have been "Ace", "Double Ace" today, ... but what they never or almost never forget is when an opponent has offered them a good combat and what matters least has been the end but the development. And if you win that fight.... better enough.

Cowards hide behind historical and statistical reasons: today I have shot down 15, vulching was a very applied tactical doctrine in war, my monthly aim rate is 20%, my car is a Ferrari, and mine is a Lambo .. . and my "BIG DICK" it's not only an "historical skin".

If you are not able to understand this post, and therefore what is respect towards other people who want to entertain themselves as you in the same place where you're connected, please I encourage  you continue playing and applying your dirty tricks in the campaign or single player option. AI will never complain about your misbehavior, other people DO.

This is a record of what normally happens in the map "Battle over Eindhoven" and what we have to do for stopping "smarties"

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Почему сервер банит меня при попытке присоедениться к нему

Why does the server ban me when I try to join it

IL-2  Sturmovik  Battle of Stalingrad Screenshot 2020.04.04 - 20.30.48.91.png

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, AtamaN_UA said:

Почему сервер банит меня при попытке присоедениться к нему

Why does the server ban me when I try to join it

You have been banned temporarily for attacking players on the ground at player airfields.
The ban expires at 23:50 UTC.

18 hours ago, Tatata_Time said:

This is the first, and surely the last time, that I register in a forum to deal with a rather delicate topic for the simmer community: VULCHING

"Attacking enemy players on the ground or within 30 seconds of takeoff is not allowed".

We are currently testing new software that will identify all violations of this rule, so that we do not have to wait for players to submit reports (if they do).

On 4/3/2020 at 9:20 PM, III./JG7-MarkWilhelmsson said:

New map seems pretty awesome thanks for all the hard work out into it. Well designed and implemented maps are the reason why I've been considering being a decent monthly donor to the team.

As for the rule clarification, I bet your problems and annoyances with having to police complaints and enforce rules and all that stuff are worse than the likely small number of complaints about the relatively rare times that a vulcher is successful in killing players on the ground. Just saying 😉

The new software that detects vulchers found over 100 incidents for March/April.

Edited by haluter
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, haluter said:

The new software that detects vulchers found over 100 incidents for March/April.

Are you talking about the entire month of March plus the four current days of April? So 100 incidents in the past 35 days? That's a grand total of less than three incidents per day. If we make an assumption that it only happens when the server is most busy (which probably isn't really true because most vulching I've seen happens when bored players are looking for a kill in a somewhat empty server), and then assume the full length of the missions is playing (which it isn't because sometimes maps are won before the time limit completes), then we are truly talking about a very small incidence of occurence per map. Just like I said. Please let me know if my math is off or if my assumptions are illogical.

So now that you have software up and running that kicks or bans for attacking on the ground or before 30 seconds of flight is over, are we going to be able to put this issue away? Or are we still looking at the potential for a 10km bubble in the future? I most certainly hope not as that would be complete BS to be sure.

Edited by III./JG7-MarkWilhelmsson

Are you talking about the entire month of March plus the four current days of April? So 100 incidents in the past 35 days?

Correct, and the actual number is probably less than that. We are still testing the software to make sure that it doesn't have false positives.

So now that you have software up and running that kicks or bans for attacking on the ground or before 30 seconds of flight is over, are we going to be able to put this issue away? Or are we still looking at the potential for a 10km bubble in the future? I most certainly hope not as that would be complete BS to be sure.

The software isn't up and running yet, we need to get this absolutely 100% reliable before it goes live.

As far as I know a 10km bubble is not an option for the future.

Adms, I thin have a bug in Rheinland Campaign Map reports . I take off from B-90, shoot down a 110 in Ammunition Depot, return lttke damage., landed in my original AF and when as making the rearm, refuel and repair, the map ended. The report in site gave that I force landing and isn't true.

23 часа назад, haluter сказал:

You have been banned temporarily for attacking players on the ground at player airfields.
The ban expires at 23:50 UTC.

"Attacking enemy players on the ground or within 30 seconds of takeoff is not allowed".

We are currently testing new software that will identify all violations of this rule, so that we do not have to wait for players to submit reports (if they do).

I get it. Thanks.

sorry for the noob question, i can get on DeeCeeEss servers thru the multiplayer section, but in IL2GB there only 2 or 3 and no combatbox. in the MP section.

How do I join combat box?

19 minutes ago, skunk160 said:

sorry for the noob question, i can get on DeeCeeEss servers thru the multiplayer section, but in IL2GB there only 2 or 3 and no combatbox. in the MP section.

How do I join combat box?

Make sure you haven't enabled the server filters (hide servers with password or bad connection).

Which servers do you see?

Password and bad connections are un-checked

nothing at all under Co-op

under dogfight, theres DangerDogz, Inter Squadmissions - 352nd Virtual Fighter Group server and the flying ass clowns

1 hour ago, skunk160 said:

Password and bad connections are un-checked

nothing at all under Co-op

under dogfight, theres DangerDogz, Inter Squadmissions - 352nd Virtual Fighter Group server and the flying ass clowns

You're looking for Dogfight, then "COMBAT BOX by Red Flight" - you should see a lot of servers in the list, probably 20 or more.

11 hours ago, =ABr=422nd_RedSkull said:

Adms, I thin have a bug in Rheinland Campaign Map reports . I take off from B-90, shoot down a 110 in Ammunition Depot, return lttke damage., landed in my original AF and when as making the rearm, refuel and repair, the map ended. The report in site gave that I force landing and isn't true.

Which airfield?