Alonzo

Combat Box by Red Flight

the DB605 DB and DC are the same motor, Daimler-Benz had also planned the possibility to modify easily the motor to pass it, on the version wanted by the operational users.

If a squadron had enough C3 fuel for theirs K4 or G10, their mechanics could pass the motors on the DC standart, but if the supply of C3 stopped one week after, they could do the reverse operation to use B4 fuel.

In that case, this is to the creator to the map to judge if the DC motor is available for his scenario.

I can't stay connected to Box. I get all sorts of error messages having to do with D3D, certain objects not available and a host of other reasons. Sometimes I'll be booted out f the server, sometimes the game as a whole (to include Steam) and sometimes Discord will disconnect at the same time. I don't have any of these issues anywhere else. Average connection time is 15 mins to a half hour. Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, TWC_Target said:

I can't stay connected to Box. I get all sorts of error messages having to do with D3D, certain objects not available and a host of other reasons. Sometimes I'll be booted out f the server, sometimes the game as a whole (to include Steam) and sometimes Discord will disconnect at the same time. I don't have any of these issues anywhere else. Average connection time is 15 mins to a half hour. Any suggestions?

We've had people need to optimize their MTU, for some reason Combat Box is more picky about MTU than the other popular servers. I haven't done this myself, but at least two people have reported success. Here's a random guide that I googled, might help you. The default MTU is 1500 which sometimes leads to packet fragmentation:  https://kb.netgear.com/19863/Ping-Test-to-determine-Optimal-MTU-Size-on-Router

Someone was asking about weather. All of the maps have a standard and an 'alternate' weather, which comes up at 40% chance. Usually the alternate is heavier cloud or worse weather but it depends on the map. I try to change it up a bit whenever I modify a map, to keep things interesting. Yesterday I put some fog and overcast on Crossing the Rhine and I think it was too low, I've raised it by 500m to help with that. If you're on a map and the weather seems too bad to play, please let us know the map name and the version number (from the briefing screen) and we'll look into it.

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2019 at 4:04 PM, oboe said:

Not sure if this the the right place to ask, but I have a lot of trouble getting into Combat Box server - often 4 or 5 attempts before I get in.  I can get as far as the tactical map often but then get thrown out.

Is there an IP to the server available so I can trace with PingPlotter?  I am in Colorado, and wonder if my packets are getting held up or lost at a Level 3 server - they are notorious for having oversold their service. 

Level 3 - As an emergency program manager for a global company, this name gives me nightmares!

12 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

We've had people need to optimize their MTU, for some reason Combat Box is more picky about MTU than the other popular servers. I haven't done this myself, but at least two people have reported success. Here's a random guide that I googled, might help you. The default MTU is 1500 which sometimes leads to packet fragmentation:  https://kb.netgear.com/19863/Ping-Test-to-determine-Optimal-MTU-Size-on-Router

Someone was asking about weather. All of the maps have a standard and an 'alternate' weather, which comes up at 40% chance. Usually the alternate is heavier cloud or worse weather but it depends on the map. I try to change it up a bit whenever I modify a map, to keep things interesting. Yesterday I put some fog and overcast on Crossing the Rhine and I think it was too low, I've raised it by 500m to help with that. If you're on a map and the weather seems too bad to play, please let us know the map name and the version number (from the briefing screen) and we'll look into it.

I think maybe me asking about weather. Wasnt a complaint, had just flown bridge too far the night before. If flying alone will often take a20 to 20-22k and level bomb factories/muntion/fuel depot. But that night had been impossible due to 9/10 cloud cover and impossible to level bomb above cloud. Had never had problem on that map previously. It wasnt too bad to play, just to level bomb above cloud. Not a complaint, was just hoping that it was not a consistent or permanent change. Not too many late war maps have suitable targets for high level. Forced it to low level dogfights - not somewhere I would take a20.

Thanks for taking time to respond

• Like 1

8 hours ago, QB.Creep said:

So a single bomb drop at the beginning of the map should prevent any additional 262s from spawning? 

About 300 262's saw combat in the war vs. about 30,000 combined P-38J's, P-47D's, P-51D's, Spit IX's and Tempests. So yeah, 2 for the entire map if we hit the bridge early seems fair.

If they'd been flying around in the numbers we see, the Brits would have cleared the Gloster Meteor for forward ops. Or more probably, the allies would never have crossed the channel.

• Like 1

I did the research, packet loss ends at 1472, but a web site I found says to add 28 to this number to reach the optimal setting, which returns me to 1500. 4 up. 4 down, all gone.

I also have to wonder if Discord might not be the culprit. I had it starting automatically with my PC, switched to manual start up and upon first boot up it loaded 8 or 9 updates, which tells me it wasn't updating when it should've been. Flew on Box tonight without Discord running and didn't get disconnected.

Edited by TWC_Target

I sent this suggestion on CBOX discord, a mission called "Advance to the Rhine" in Remagen with this Brief: 

"US troops captured the Ludendorff Bridge intact on 7th March This happened after the allies won the battle of Remagen south of the map (Wikipedia) Over the next 10 days, after its capture on 7 March 1945 and until its failure on 17 March, the Germans used virtually every weapon at their disposal to try to destroy the bridge. This included infantry and armor, howitzers, mortars, floating mines, mined boats, a railroad gun, and the giant 600 mm Karl-Gerät super-heavy mortar. They also attacked the bridge using the newly developed Arado Ar 234B-2 turbojet bombers. To protect the bridge against aircraft, the Americans positioned the largest concentration of anti-aircraft weapons during World War II leading to 'the greatest antiaircraft artillery battles in American history.' The Americans counted 367 different German Luftwaffe aircraft attacking the bridge over the next 10 days. The Americans claimed to have shot down nearly 30% of the aircraft dispatched against them. The German air offensive failed Eventually the bridge fell, due damage I guess"

Arts from this historical event

Spoiler

the-bridge-at-remagen-by-robert-taylor-5

Spoiler

freddienowriting.jpg

Spoiler

9781846030185B1_big.jpg

I noticed that the Germans have no jets... It would be nice to see jets on this mission

This is the "sister of a bridge so too far", but with better toys to the luftwaffe ))

Edited by LUZITANO

12 hours ago, 69th_Bazzer said:

About 300 262's saw combat in the war vs. about 30,000 combined P-38J's, P-47D's, P-51D's, Spit IX's and Tempests. So yeah, 2 for the entire map if we hit the bridge early seems fair.

If they'd been flying around in the numbers we see, the Brits would have cleared the Gloster Meteor for forward ops. Or more probably, the allies would never have crossed the channel.

There are six maps in the rotation and the 262 is available on one of them. On that map, their numbers are limited to about 6% of every other plane. And you want to further constraint that. All I can say is that I hope you do not get your way.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, QB.Creep said:

There are six maps in the rotation and the 262 is available on one of them. On that map, their numbers are limited to about 6% of every other plane. And you want to further constraint that. All I can say is that I hope you do not get your way.

I thought the 262 was available on 2 of the maps?

I enjoy flighing on Combat Box. Thank you for the server and the good work.

Edited by Gomoto
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, LUZITANO said:

I sent this suggestion on CBOX discord, a mission called "Advance to the Rhine" in Remagen with this Brief: 

"US troops captured the Ludendorff Bridge intact on 7th March This happened after the allies won the battle of Remagen south of the map (Wikipedia) Over the next 10 days, after its capture on 7 March 1945 and until its failure on 17 March, the Germans used virtually every weapon at their disposal to try to destroy the bridge. This included infantry and armor, howitzers, mortars, floating mines, mined boats, a railroad gun, and the giant 600 mm Karl-Gerät super-heavy mortar. They also attacked the bridge using the newly developed Arado Ar 234B-2 turbojet bombers. To protect the bridge against aircraft, the Americans positioned the largest concentration of anti-aircraft weapons during World War II leading to 'the greatest antiaircraft artillery battles in American history.' The Americans counted 367 different German Luftwaffe aircraft attacking the bridge over the next 10 days. The Americans claimed to have shot down nearly 30% of the aircraft dispatched against them. The German air offensive failed Eventually the bridge fell, due damage I guess"

Arts from this historical event

Reveal hidden contents

the-bridge-at-remagen-by-robert-taylor-5

Reveal hidden contents

freddienowriting.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

9781846030185B1_big.jpg

I noticed that the Germans have no jets... It would be nice to see jets on this mission

This is the "sister of a bridge so too far", but with better toys to the luftwaffe ))

This is the Crossing the Rhine mission which we made a couple of weeks ago. At least I think it's the same one. Here's our mission text:

Remagen, March 1945. Allied forces are swarming across Europe, liberating territory from the Reich. After capturing the Seigfried Line the 9th Armored Division of the US Army unexpectedly captures the only remaining bridge across the Rhine. Ludendorff Bridge is wired with six thousand pounds of high explosive, but as the Germans try to demolish the bridge half the explosives fail to detonate, leaving the bridge intact.

The GIs quickly take advantage of the situation, securing and repairing the bridge and building tactical pontoon bridges to support their operation. "Cross the Rhine with dry feet, courtesy 9th Armored Div" is proudly painted on a sign across the bridge, with hundreds of tanks and thousands of troops making the crossing safely.

Hitler orders all possible measures be taken to destroy the bridge, including the use of artillery, heavy bombing, V2 rockets and even underwater frogmen equipped with explosives.

Mission conditions:

• 0900 hours, 14th March 1945
  • Cloudy skies with winds from the west

Victory conditions:
Germany must destroy the bridges at Remagen at any cost. Additionally, orders have been given to "search and destroy" Allied troops in the bridgehead on the east side of the Rhine. The Allies must destroy German defences and strategic targets. The first side to destroy four objectives will win the map.

German airlift operations:
Despite Hitler's orders to fight to the last man, German troops are falling back. The airfields at Bonn and Asbach are dispatching transport flights to Breitscheid and Limburg. If enough transport planes arrive safely, Germany will be one step closer to victory.

3 hours ago, QB.Creep said:

3 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

I thought the 262 was available on 2 of the maps?

The 262 is available on Battle over Eindhoven using the jet fuel train unlock mechanics, and on Crossing the Rhine at Linburg in limited numbers once enough pilots start to fly. I would strongly encourage jet pilots to try to make it back to base -- if you land at the jet base, the plane is immediately available again for your side. The 262 is so good that we need to limit the numbers, and we do that by assuming that at least some of them make it back to base.

We are considering a more dynamic unlock mechanic, such that on certain maps (say) up to X% of German planes can be the 262, but the unlock mechanics in game are not very granular. But we're looking at it.

Reds blowing up the rail bridge on Eindhoven and preventing all future fuel trains is not how we intend the map to play out. The train is fragile enough as it is, red should do at least some work to find and destroy the trains. The bridge repair mechanic will remain in the game.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

This is the Crossing the Rhine mission which we made a couple of weeks ago. At least I think it's the same one. Here's our mission text:

Remagen, March 1945. 

thanks for explaining

On 12/10/2019 at 6:29 PM, CIA_Elanski said:

...  Yes I am biased...

Seriously, I comfirm...

You don't need to get not the 150 octane fuel for have faster, best turning and stronger guns planes (51, Tempy, Spit, Hispanos) . The few times when 262 are flyable, their spaw base is the 1st destination for shot them just after their takeoff (and their fuel target too). So, the blue side can fly them in so much limited time and number, not at the start of map but after ~30 min or something, and their are downed and cleaned off the map so quickly.

When they are not flyable (the most large part of time) and when K4s aren't aviable aswell, what red side plane are off too at same time...?

All time a good reason exist to limite the blue side and never for red side (with his g-suits)...

You cry because you don't have B17s, 24,25,26 and feel the Allied are already limited by the devs??? It's a joke! What bombers blue side have? 110s, 111s, 88s... : flying coffins!

Don't blame blue side if they fly high and often give up the ground attack and by the way, loose the map, but ask you HONESTLY why.

Edited by Otto_bann
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 1:27 PM, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

Top pilots is made by the best pilots for every campaign?. I am the third in the stats so the-nines is.

Hey buddy can you send me the link to the Stats List? I want to see my stuff too.

1 hour ago, =gRiJ=Alado said:

one cuestion, gound targets no score?

http://combatbox.net/es/sortie/247624/?tour=16

Tents give no score because they are so easy to destroy (and especially with the SC1000, you monster, you killed so many innocent troops! 🙂 ). I  think your score for the sortie is pretty good, 371 points.

4 minutes ago, SOLIDKREATE said:

Hey buddy can you send me the link to the Stats List? I want to see my stuff too.

It's all here: http://combatbox.net/en/   Go to Rankings > Pilot Rankings to see the full list or search by pilot name.

I can't find your pilot name -- have you flown on Combat Box?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Otto_bann said:

Seriously, I comfirm...

You don't need to get not the 150 octane fuel for have faster, best turning and stronger guns planes (51, Tempy, Spit, Hispanos) . The few times when 262 are flyable, their spaw base is the 1st destination for shot them just after their takeoff (and their fuel target too). So, the blue side can fly them in so much limited time and number, not at the start of map but after ~30 min or something, and their are downed and cleaned off the map so quickly.

When they are not flyable (the most large part of time) and when K4s aren't aviable aswell, what red side plane are off too at same time...?

All time a good reason exist to limite the blue side and never for red side (with his g-suits)...

You cry because you don't have B17s, 24,25,26 and feel the Allied are already limited by the devs??? It's a joke! What bombers blue side have? 110s, 111s, 88s... : flying coffins!

Don't blame blue side if they fly high and often give up the ground attack and by the way, loose the map, but ask you HONESTLY why.

Could not agree more. Currently, balance if not bad, but the constant whining when red is not rolling the maps as earlier or dominating just like back then IRL is getting boring. Limit blue here, restrict DC engines there, germany had no use of he111 then.... etc etc. It‘s absolutely stupid. If you want a red biased server, WOL is the place to go.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

Tents give no score because they are so easy to destroy (and especially with the SC1000, you monster, you killed so many innocent troops! 🙂 ). I  think your score for the sortie is pretty good, 371 points.

It's all here: http://combatbox.net/en/   Go to Rankings > Pilot Rankings to see the full list or search by pilot name.

I can't find your pilot name -- have you flown on Combat Box?

So i think it would be better if you didn't put them or that they were not destructible.

Hello guys.

I am pretty much a new comer to the BoX series in the grand view of things. I love flying CLoD having spent most of my time there.

Only recently say last  2 months have spending time here after work. Since latest updates especially those affecting visiblity, I am really digging BoX And feel I can survive and get an occasional kill. Still lots to learn.

I really am enjoying flying here at combat box i gotta say. Some of the best of the best fly here . I recognize many names from long ago. Many nights I have flown in tight spots and the adrenaline had me shaking so bad I could hardly control my plane and had to go land to let it pass.

its a rush for sure.

I do have a question tho.

What is the distance trigger when we see the messages “ enemy plane sited near airfield so and so”? Like 10k or something?

• Upvote 3

100% spot on there 

2 hours ago, IV./JG51-H_Stiglitz said:

It‘s absolutely stupid. If you want a red biased server, WOL is the place to go.

2 hours ago, Otto_bann said:

Seriously, I comfirm...

I'm trying to figure out what your gripe is..is it that the 262 is limited and an asset that isn't available from the very beginning of the maps it's on?

That the allied side is able to effectively knock them out of the action if the jet fuel bases are destroyed or their vulched on takeoff? 

21 minutes ago, 9./JG52_Hackl said:

Hello guys.

I am pretty much a new comer to the BoX series in the grand view of things. I love flying CLoD having spent most of my time there.

Only recently say last  2 months have spending time here after work. Since latest updates especially those affecting visiblity, I am really digging BoX And feel I can survive and get an occasional kill. Still lots to learn.

I really am enjoying flying here at combat box i gotta say. Some of the best of the best fly here . I recognize many names from long ago. Many nights I have flown in tight spots and the adrenaline had me shaking so bad I could hardly control my plane and had to go land to let it pass.

its a rush for sure.

I do have a question tho.

What is the distance trigger when we see the messages “ enemy plane sited near airfield so and so”? Like 10k or something?

Hey Hackl, good to see you! I remember you from the ATAG server on CLOD! :)

2 hours ago, =gRiJ=Alado said:

So i think it would be better if you didn't put them or that they were not destructible.

This was changed so that people could not get ridiculously high scores for sorties which were skewing the stats. Like this: http://combatbox.net/en/sortie/211544/?tour=15

Edited by QB.Creep
  • Thanks 1

I've said this in the chat on CB and it's the truth..

If the blue side doesn't want their 262's getting absolutely savaged, it best coordinate and put up a defensive CAP over the jet bases and keep the allies away from them. It's what the Luftwaffe had to do IRL

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 9./JG52_Hackl said:

It depends on the objective, but it's usually 8km or so. On my new maps it's the same range at which "puffy flak" starts firing. There is a cooldown on this warning, which is several minutes long, so it's not a guaranteed message every time an enemy pilot flies into that zone. But if an area of the map has been quiet and an enemy pilot flies close to an objective, you're quite likely to see that call out on the server.

9 hours ago, QB.Creep said:

This was changed so that people could not get ridiculously high scores for sorties which were skewing the stats. Like this: http://combatbox.net/en/sortie/211544/?tour=15

Yes, I totally agree with that. The only thing I say is that I believe that if they do not score, or do not need to be there or that they are not destructible

9 hours ago, 357th_Dog said:

I'm trying to figure out what your gripe is.

Don't try anymore, it's not a grippe ;)

By 262 et K4 examples, I expose the fact that the red side is not disadvantaged, contrary to what i read upper. When the blue side has a plane which can be dangerous by one of its characteristics, it is not available or quickly unavailable in a way or another (number, time, fuel, historical date...). There is no equivalent handicap on the red side. When the k4 and the 262 are not available, the blue side is limited to G6, 14 and 190 skills, but they have to fight the same and as many 51, Tempest , 38 and Spit.

The blue side don't want to be intended as a target first, that's why they expose themselves less and therefore do not win maps.Lot of guys fly on both sides. When they are red they win maps and when they are blue they lose them. It's the same guys. So what, the blue color on their tag would make them stupid for lose maps more often? :) I don't believe.

Edited by Otto_bann
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

@Alonzo Can you tell us how many A-20 sorties have been flown, and how many actually were RTB?  Can we compare it to 110, 88, 87 and 111 sorties?

Fair enough if you don't have the time to do it. 

Just now, Mobile_BBQ said:

@Alonzo Can you tell us how many A-20 sorties have been flown, and how many actually were RTB?  Can we compare it to 110, 88, 87 and 111 sorties?

I'm interested as well, although checking your stats you do not play any of the 5 mentioned aircraft, therefore interested to know why you are bothered?

Regards

Just now, Otto_bann said:

Don't try anymore, it's not a grippe ;)

By 262 et K4 examples, I expose the fact that the red side is not disadvantaged, contrary to what i read upper. When the blue side has a plane which can be dangerous by one of its characteristics, it is not available or quickly unavailable in a way or another (number, time, fuel, historical date...). There is no equivalent handicap on the red side. When the k4 and the 262 are not available, the blue side is limited to G6, 14 and 190 skills, but they have to fight the same and as many 51, Tempest , 38 and Spit.

The blue side don't want to be intended as a target first, that's why they expose themselves less and therefore do not win maps.Lot of guys fly on both sides. When they are red they win maps and when they are blue they lose them. It's the same guys. So what, the blue color on their tag would make them stupid for lose maps more often? :) I don't believe.

My understanding is that during the Bodenplatte period that this game is set (Winter '44 early '45), the Me262, IRL was actually used predominately as  a multi-engine bomber interceptor! Therefore, although I agree with 375th Dog comments regarding a protection Sqn, there are not the high altitude bombers in the game for the Me262 to actually be worth having and perhaps it is a wasted aircraft in this series! Therefore, although it would be great to have the protection Sqn that Dog spouts about, but without the bomber targets, what is the point?

Therefore, limiting the number of Me262s to a hand full per map, for a low alt (almost deck) engagement, I believe is farcical and as such I would be interested to see how long it would be before the "die-hards" complained if the either the P-51 or P-47 were limited in such a way!?  Interestingly the Tempest with bombs were allowed, while the Me262 was limited even during the period that the Tempest historically didn't drop bombs, yet during the period where Me262s operated in numbers, most maps are locked to single figures!  However, I guess you have to keep things balanced to keep players happy!

Regards

Edited by Haza

29 minutes ago, Haza said:

I'm interested as well, although checking your stats you do not play any of the 5 mentioned aircraft, therefore interested to know why you are bothered?

Am I not allowed to be curious?  A-20 is the Allies' only strategic bomber available for the BoBp maps. Sometimes, fighters are allowed to carry bombs making them fighter/bombers.  Meanwhile,  Axis has 2 strategic bombers - 111 and 88, one fighter/bomber - 110 and one strike bomber - 87 to choose from + jabos.  I want to see how they stack up in usage and RTB success rate on CB.  I'm guessing the 87 is used least, but percentage-wise gets the worst of it.    

Well, that, and, I have many friends I fly with who do fly the A-20 and have the balls to take relentless beatings in order to win maps.  When it's said: 

2 hours ago, Otto_bann said:

The blue side don't want to be intended as a target first, that's why they expose themselves less and therefore do not win maps. Lot of guys fly on both sides. When they are red they win maps and when they are blue they lose them.

I'm not really sure what to make of it. I have my opinions but, it's probably best if I keep them to myself or between me and my friends.  

Edited by Mobile_BBQ

Just now, Mobile_BBQ said:

Am I not allowed to be curious?  A-20 is the Allies' only strategic bomber available for the BoBp maps. Sometimes, fighters are allowed to carry bombs making them fighter/bombers.  Meanwhile,  Axis has 2 strategic bombers - 111 and 88, one fighter/bomber - 110 and one strike bomber - 87 to choose from + jabos.  I want to see how they stack up in usage and RTB success rate on CB.  I'm guessing the 87 is used least, but percentage-wise gets the worst of it.    

Well, that, and, I have many friends I fly with who do fly the A-20 and have the balls to take relentless beatings in order to win maps.  When it's said: 

I'm not really sure what to make of it. I have my opinions but, it's probably best if I keep them to myself or between me and my friends.  

I bought a magazine last year and in that magazine there was an article about the A-20 with photographs of a low level operation being conducted by the RAF. Therefore, although I would like to see the A-20 in the Bodenplatte map, I would be happy to pay for a different version to fit the timescales and the Allies! That said, it will be interesting to see with the BON map being released with the Mossie, whether that becomes the tactical Allied twin engine bomber of choice!?

In this game, I see the A-20 being used more as a tactical bomber than anything else, however, if the game is limited to twin engine bombers, it will be interesting to see what else Jason can pull out of the hat!?

Regards

EDIT (The article was from Flypast August 2016, so it wasn't last year!!! LOL)

Operation Oyster was one article, although the magazine talks about the A-20G and as such it is the A-20G I would like to see in Bodenplatte!

Edited by Haza

On 12/12/2019 at 8:56 PM, Alonzo said:

Alonzo - Though I'm no expert in this area, I've had some success reducing stutters on Combat Box by reducing the MTU in this way on the PC Ethernet interface as well as the upstream routers.

I have a theory that setting the MTU on the PC Ethernet interface allows some netcode API calls in the game to determine what maximum packet size it should use, rather than relying on some handshake protocol.

This can be done as follows, open a Command type window as Admin, then type this to see the interfaces:

netsh interface ipv4 show subinterface

Then look for the one that says something like "Ethernet" or maybe "Local Area Connection *2", then type something like:

netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Ethernet" mtu=1492 store=persistent

You should be able to tell which subinterface is being used from the stats printed from the first command.

This seems to reduce the game packets so they don't go above 1500 when the PPPoE header is added.

Note this extract from Wikipedia:

PPP + PPPoE contributes an additional overhead of 8 bytes = 2 (PPP) + 6 (PPPoE) included within the payload of each Ethernet frame. This added overhead can mean that a reduced maximum length limit (so-called MTU or MRU) of 1500 − 8 = 1492 bytes is imposed on (for example) IP packets sent or received, as opposed to the usual 1500-byte Ethernet frame payload length limit which applies to standard Ethernet networks.

****** ADDITIONAL THOUGHT ******

I may be a bad thing to reduce the MTU from 1500 on your outermost router because that's where the 8 byte PPPoE header is added. I'm ignorant of whether that MTU setting applies to the LAN side or WAN side, if it were the WAN side the and you set it to 1492 you might cause fragmentation. I'm increasingly thinking the PC Ethernet interface is the important one, unless the netcode does PATH MTU Discovery to the upstream router.

56RAF_phoenix

Edited by 56RAF_phoenix56
Potentially important

7 hours ago, Alonzo said:

It depends on the objective, but it's usually 8km or so. On my new maps it's the same range at which "puffy flak" starts firing. There is a cooldown on this warning, which is several minutes long, so it's not a guaranteed message every time an enemy pilot flies into that zone. But if an area of the map has been quiet and an enemy pilot flies close to an objective, you're quite likely to see that call out on the server.

Thanks for quick reply Alonzo. 

Great server. I see you guys putting your heart and soul into this. Much appreciated.

I thought the multi layer clouds were pretty cool on the Crimea map you just rotated in.

I would actually like to see multi layer clouds in some of the other maps as well.

i would think maybe it would also provide some stealth for the striker guys tho not so good for level bombers.

14 hours ago, QB.Creep said:

Hey Hackl, good to see you! I remember you from the ATAG server on CLOD! :)

Hi Creep. I remember you also. And being on ts a few times w you. So this is where you been hiding lol.

Ive been using Atag comms on our squad channel  while flying here if you ever want to visit.

Ive been pairing up with former squad mates from 3./JG51, Stachl and finally got Tepes to make a go of it.

see you up

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mobile_BBQ said:

... Meanwhile,  Axis has 2 strategic bombers - 111 and 88, one fighter/bomber - 110 and one strike bomber - 87 to choose from + jabos.

So, the question is always the same : why these german planes aren't pretty used when pilots flying both side use regularly the A20 or red jabos?
I suggest to you to take a 111 or 87 and fly to attack red targets for have an idea of answer...:))

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mobile_BBQ said:

@Mobile_BBQ Did two sorties yesterday, did RTB on both of them... Yes, that´s weird.

A typical return rate for me is two, maybe three out of ten... There must be a glitch in the matrix...

Or maybe it´s just because there was only one axis player vs seven allied or so, when I joined the server. 😀

I didn´t want to miss that opportunity though since I´ve never experienced a ratio like that in favour of the allies.

I guess, IL2GB will punish me for that. Maybe the next two times I´ll just explode instantly on spawn... 🤣🍻

We have high altitude AI bombers on the Stalingrad Scramble map, and the 262 is available there. But the AI bombers have a bug where they refuse to level bomb, so that map is out of rotation for the moment. The developers know about the bug and are working on it.

We have a new special map in the works which has waves of Allied bombers as a main point of the map, with lots of air spawned fighter cover and 262s opposing them. Kind of a special event map. But it’s paused because of the AI bombing problem.

8 hours ago, Otto_bann said:

So, the question is always the same : why these german planes aren't pretty used when pilots flying both side use regularly the A20 or red jabos?
I suggest to you to take a 111 or 87 and fly to attack red targets for have an idea of answer...:))

I do understand that the 111 does have a pretty strong difficulty curve in getting it off the ground and the 87 isn't exactly suited to survivability at this stage of the war. The 87 aside, the 111 still has much better defensive armament than the A-20 + it out performs or equally performs compared to it in many aspects.  The only thing an A-20 has a real edge in and something a 111 should (in reality) never do is shallow-pass dive bombing.  I've seen quite a few 111 pilots that can still do it quite effectively though.

The 87 is obviously built for true dive bombing, straight down and release, but I do see out of all the bombers how, at this stage of the war, it probably has the lowest chances. 

In my personal opinion:

I think it comes down to many Axis-only pilots will take a loss on the map because they simply can't stand the idea of taking personal losses on their stats page. They do seem to quit and not come back (for that day) after being shot down a lot more than Allied players.  They also seem to also only be willing to fly the most advanced models of fighters and if they log in and see that those fighters are already used up, log right back out. 

Edited by Mobile_BBQ
  • Like 1

@Bremspropeller Is that you in the Spit groundlooping while loughing your back side off after seeing another Spit taking off through the buildings in the background and failling...? 🤣🍻

42.JPG

• Haha 1