Alonzo

Combat Box by Red Flight

On 8/18/2019 at 12:13 AM, Haza said:

I appreciate that it is only a game, but perhaps some of the more "wiser" players (Old gits) perhaps have issues with navigating and just want to have their stats looking good! Therefore, perhaps you might consider having GPS on for some of your maps!?

10 hours ago, =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ said:

Actually, if Combat Box also ran early and mid-war scenarios in the rotation, I'd abandon WoL in a heartbeat.

10 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

Agreed RE: early war missions. Just a few in the rotation would make my day, or an "early war" event on certain days. I love the bodenplatte games but I really liike all the other ones too.

9 hours ago, JimTM said:

While I would prefer CB to keep GPS off, I know it's a steep learning curve to navigate well without it, especially when you also need to watch out for bandits and monitor your aircraft condition. Navigation skills do get better with practice, both inside and outside of the online environment. Certainly, I'm much better at this skill than I used to be. For navigation help, check out the links under "Flying Guides and Utilities" in the IL-2 Resources post.

Thanks for all the thoughtful comments and input. I've tried hard to make the maps navigable on Combat Box, and I think most of them are pretty reasonable with good landmarks. The Kuban map in particular has lots of lakes and the ocean which helps, and on the other maps I have tried to choose locations that can help you out. For example on Battle for Kalinin -- located on the Moscow map which is notoriously difficult to navigate -- it uses on a section of the map with bold natural features which can help. I'd say the winter maps are the most difficult to navigate, but it does come with practice. At the moment we have no plans to enable GPS.

Mid-war scenarios are an interesting thought. We envisaged Combat Box as "the Bodenplatte server" where people could always guarantee late war matchups. With the slower release of Allied planes every map has turned into Spit IX vs Dora/K4 (sometimes A8/G14) and that matchup has gotten a bit stagnant. But with the P51, P38 and Tempest already in beta, we could have a bunch of new and interesting matchups very soon. That doesn't completely answer the "how about midwar?" question. Basically I personally am not sure, and there's a significant effort involved in creating a new map that's up to Combat Box standards. I'd say a new map is probably 30+ hours of editing work, and that's reusing assets from previous maps and remixing them in new ways, with additional hours for new mechanics such as the jet fuel train on Stalingrad Scramble. Of course we could rejig an existing map and make it a midwar matchup, that's fairly easy.

This is great input and I'll take it back to the team at Red Flight and get their thoughts too.

While I'm writing, I'll mention that we have added AI planes to Combat Box as an experiment, while the double whammy of summer holidays and TAW have reduced player numbers. Each map has 5 different patrol patterns and 4 different attack scenarios for each coalition, with AI responding to threats or carrying out their bombing missions. Feedback so far has been generally positive, with the AI adding some life to the maps, but we're keen to get further feedback. One significant negative is the amount of radio chatter spam from the AI. I'm working to reduce that but unfortunately any time an AI takes off or lands or is told to attack something, there's going to be radio chatter. Please let us know here or on the Discord what you think of the AI.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

I appreciate your response Alonzo.

If it was 1 or 2 early/mid map(s) I'd visit more often.   I'd even stay for the late war stuff too, even if that day's rotation didn't align the early/mid war map(s) to my session time. 

I do like the AI additions.  Do they scale back as more players join?  If not, it might work out well if they do.

And..... Yes, the radio chatter can be maddening.  I hope there's a way to slow or stop it.  

I find when I use GPS, I get lazy.  Instead of flying the plane, I'll end up "flying" the GPS marker until it's pointed where I want to go, then closing the map.  It's gotten me jumped more than I like to admit. 

I've found that once I've got the hang of the map, it's a lot easier to just look out the window and know where I am without calling up the map overlay.  Really does help keep the ol' eyes "outside the cockpit" so to speak

Kuban:  Coast lines, lakes and rivers - easy  nav.

Moscow: A lot looks the same, landmarks are small and hard to differentiate - hard nav.

Stalingrad:  If you can't see the big freakin' river you've made a wrong turn :biggrin: - medium  nav. 

Edited by =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ
grammar
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

hi 

i think that for bad pilote like me, IA is good

on TAW i 'm alway be killed and never kill sombody , ( and now i never go on TAW.....) on combat box i can survive  🙂

i am pilote of 4 division and if only 1 division humans pilote i wasn't interested .....on TAW too much good humans pilotes, not enought  target ....i'm a duck in a hunters field....

thank you for your job , best regards from France

perhaps a some E7, F4 and I16 😉 

Edited by jeanpit-frenchy

I'm pleased to announce some forthcoming events, including a collector plane giveaway this Sunday!

Sunday 1st September - 1900 UTC / 1500 EDT - September Giveaway Flyout - Hosted by FC

Combat Box and Flying Chickens are pleased to announce their September Giveaway Flyout. As part of this end of summer, get-back-to-flying event, one lucky pilot will win a collector plane courtesy of =FC=SteelFalcon!

The small print: To be eligible to win a collector plane, you must accrue at least 10 minutes flying time or at least one point on the Combat Box stats website during the event, as well as be contactable via the Combat Box Discord server. Winner will be picked at random using a Discord bot and public spreadsheet of possible winners. If the first winner is unable to be contacted to collect their prize, an alternate winner will be drawn. Winner may choose to re-gift the collectors plane if they already own it.

Saturday 14th September 1600 UTC / 1200 EDT - Saturday Late War, Clan Wars! - Hosted by TWB

Combat Box and The Wet Bandits are hosting an epic battle for supremacy amongst IL2's squadrons. Whether you're affiliated or independent, come along for some late war action on Combat Box. Whoever wins, you're guaranteed some spicy smack talk during this event.

You can find information on forthcoming events on our new events page: http://combatbox.net/en/events/

• Like 4

On 8/20/2019 at 11:39 PM, =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ said:

I appreciate your response Alonzo.

If it was 1 or 2 early/mid map(s) I'd visit more often.   I'd even stay for the late war stuff too, even if that day's rotation didn't align the early/mid war map(s) to my session time. 

I do like the AI additions.  Do they scale back as more players join?  If not, it might work out well if they do.

And..... Yes, the radio chatter can be maddening.  I hope there's a way to slow or stop it.  

I find when I use GPS, I get lazy.  Instead of flying the plane, I'll end up "flying" the GPS marker until it's pointed where I want to go, then closing the map.  It's gotten me jumped more than I like to admit. 

I've found that once I've got the hang of the map, it's a lot easier to just look out the window and know where I am without calling up the map overlay.  Really does help keep the ol' eyes "outside the cockpit" so to speak

Kuban:  Coast lines, lakes and rivers - easy  nav.

Moscow: A lot looks the same, landmarks are small and hard to differentiate - hard nav.

Stalingrad:  If you can't see the big freakin' river you've made a wrong turn :biggrin: - medium  nav. 

I'm not a GPS fan, but thought that it might draw more players in!

Just surprised that with a NA based server, most yanks are still on WOL and thought perhaps the GPS was the issue!

Thanks to everyone who flew for today's special event. We had over 120 pilots who flew the mission, and one lucky winner is currently being chased down to give them an La5-FN, courtesy of Flying Chickens. Congratulations!

The mission was Stalingrad Scramble, a fictional late war tussle over the bombed out city of Stalingrad. The map involves strategic elements such as a jet fuel depot and fuel trains that the Germans must defend in order to unlock Me-262 jet fighters, and high altitude bombers that the Allies must protect in order to bomb and disable the fuel depot. This leads to a lot of interesting fights and some beautiful fights up in the contrails. Here are some screen grabs (the last two are courtesy of @the-nines).

2019_9_1__21_56_33.thumb.jpg.e4842f98a84f2a2cabec6a7cba79bcc2.jpg2019_9_1__21_48_43.thumb.jpg.2f97ab5ff00c952e93ff8b51dfe6dde4.jpg2019_9_1__23_37_11.thumb.jpg.6cd09c78aa043ac1ca6d6a508835356b.jpg2019_9_1__23_21_26.thumb.jpg.0a670ce8078422f2790e54dc3cfa70fd.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

Hello are there people who have encountered connection problems more or less 10 hours ago?
Last night I was disconnected from the game twice.
The first time after being disconnected the list of servers was completely empty (after a quick check my internet was not cut). I left the game completely. But there, when I restarted it, I had during 2 or 3 'the message "Verification of the current version" (I told myself "nice", an update, which plane ?: D). Then the message: Error updating ... :(
So I'll see on the forum IL2: nothing about it.
I go to the Combat Box page and there is no map of the current game. I said again that my connection worked very well.
I'm trying to relaunch the game and there again "Checking the current version" and then finally: PLAY- ENTER- DOGFIGHT- MULTIPLAYER .... Nothing in the list :(
At the third restart it worked ... but not long, a flight OK and the second I was disconnected soon after takeoff.
And then everything to start again as I just explained here above.
If it had happened 10 times my fairplay index would have fallen to 0%.
Has anyone ever encountered this kind of problem yesterday or another time?

http://combatbox.net/fr/sorties/409/615sqn_Buzz/?tour=12

Best regards

Buzz

3 hours ago, 615sqn_Buzz said:

Hello are there people who have encountered connection problems more or less 10 hours ago?
Last night I was disconnected from the game twice.
The first time after being disconnected the list of servers was completely empty (after a quick check my internet was not cut). I left the game completely. But there, when I restarted it, I had during 2 or 3 'the message "Verification of the current version" (I told myself "nice", an update, which plane ?: D). Then the message: Error updating ... :(
So I'll see on the forum IL2: nothing about it.
I go to the Combat Box page and there is no map of the current game. I said again that my connection worked very well.
I'm trying to relaunch the game and there again "Checking the current version" and then finally: PLAY- ENTER- DOGFIGHT- MULTIPLAYER .... Nothing in the list :(
At the third restart it worked ... but not long, a flight OK and the second I was disconnected soon after takeoff.
And then everything to start again as I just explained here above.
If it had happened 10 times my fairplay index would have fallen to 0%.
Has anyone ever encountered this kind of problem yesterday or another time?

http://combatbox.net/fr/sorties/409/615sqn_Buzz/?tour=12

Best regards

Buzz

I have had this issue before, and recently. I don't think it is an issue with Combat Box but an issue with the game that some people have been experiencing since about a year ago or so. Its a random disconnect 'bug' for lack of a better term. Its not clear why it happens and there's no specific way that I've found to reproduce it or make it appear consistently.

The random disconnect is an on and off thing I get for some servers but not others, and you'll find many posts about it from many people - the 10009 error. As far as I can figure it occurs because of random spikes in ping delay that trigger a "too high of ping" ban, or some other momentary blip in connectivity. Its possible your connection is fine but a very brief interruption to the server causes it to overlap. Its also possible that you have no connection problem at all and the game, for whatever reason, drops your connection.

Sometimes when this happens, when I try and go back into the list of dogfight servers after the disconnect, the list is empty. I think this happens when the disconnect also messes with my connection with the master server, so the game doesn't see any of the active servers. Going out and going back into the Dogfight list usually clears it up.

The "verifying current version" and then "Failure to update" message I get occasionally since the last few updates, but it also coincides with me getting a new ISP so itcould be that. Basically closing the launcher and reopening it solves the problem, or a full on computer restart. Basically it seems that on occasion when you have trouble Connecting to the Master Server, it will try and connect, check to see if you are using the current version, and then if it can't get a connection it says "Failed to Update" even though there is no update to be had.

As I said this happens more on some servers than others, and is not related to normal ping because I sometimes get it on servers that I have better connections to and don't always get it on servers I have poor connections to. I would play around on KOTA, WOL and maybe TAW if you're registered and see if the problem happens there as well. 

• Thanks 1

Haaa thank you for your answer RedKestel, in a way I'm a little reassured. I fly mainly on Combat Box, this month I did not have much time to grant to TAW, unfortunately. In principle I have one of the best connections here in Belgium.
I repeat myself,  thank you for your answer.

Buzz

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 615sqn_Buzz said:

Haaa thank you for your answer RedKestel, in a way I'm a little reassured. I fly mainly on Combat Box, this month I did not have much time to grant to TAW, unfortunately. In principle I have one of the best connections here in Belgium.
I repeat myself,  thank you for your answer.

Buzz

No problem. I have gotten this disconnect issue with Combat Box and I'm in Canada - in theory CB should be my most stable server. In better news, I've found that usually the issue doesn't occur all the time, just has some bad days, so if that happens I pop onto another server for the night. Hopefully your next flights will be less interrupted.

Since the few months that I spend time on CB, it is the first time that I meet this problem.

I now have a question for Alonzo. It's not a criticism, just a question.

Why do not all AI Kills appear in the statistics?
Example, just now with the A20 I destroyed a FW A8, it appeared in my statistics in the game but it does not appear in the statistics of the player on CB. Is there a reason for that?

Buzz

3 hours ago, 615sqn_Buzz said:

It does show. Check my stats, they show as any other kill too. Maybe the kill got stolen? There sometimes is a difference between in game stats and stats-page stats.

12 hours ago, 615sqn_Buzz said:

I now have a question for Alonzo. It's not a criticism, just a question.

Example, just now with the A20 I destroyed a FW A8, it appeared in my statistics in the game but it does not appear in the statistics of the player on CB. Is there a reason for that?

8 hours ago, =FC=SteelFalcon said:

It does show. Check my stats, they show as any other kill too. Maybe the kill got stolen? There sometimes is a difference between in game stats and stats-page stats.

As far as I know, any AI that you kill will be counted the same as a player. It will just say "Fighters (AI)" on the IL2 Stats page to distinguish normal player kills and AI kills.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Alonzo said:

As far as I know, any AI that you kill will be counted the same as a player. It will just say "Fighters (AI)" on the IL2 Stats page to distinguish normal player kills and AI kills.

Hello,
first, thanks for your answers.
Then I'm sorry but my knowledge of the English language is insufficient for me to express myself directly in English. I use Google translate but alas it remains a "pretty much".
I will try to make my explanation more precise. Excuse me for the length of this message.
-I take off in A20, just after takeoff I cross a FW A8, I take it in hunt, I shoot him he smokes black. I leave it and continue my flight to the ground targets. After 1 or 2 'at the bottom of the screen on the left appears the message: 615sqn_Buzz destroyed FW A8. Or something like that.
- I destroy the ground targets and I go back to my base, I land and I do "end the flight"
I arrive on the stats screen and see the number of destroyed target grounds and 1 plane.
At the end of the "map" I will see the stats and there, the plane shot is not present. There is nothing in the log of the part concerning this FWA8.I can see the damage done to the ground targets in percentage etc ... but there is nothing about the shots on the enemy plane. While in the party I got the message "615sqn_Buzz destroyed FW A8".
If I ask this question it is because in my recent experience it is not an isolated case.
One or two days before, I made a flight in "MK IX".
During this flight I meet a 110, I destroyed it and I have the message "615sqn_buzz destroyed etc ..."
I cross a second 110, I destroy it and I have the message ... Then a third, I touch it but short ammunition I have to go back to the base.
I'm finishing the flight. In the game stats I have 2 planes destroyed. Then while I am on this stats page I have a third plane destroyed. He crashed while I finished the flight.
But in the Combat Box stats "only one" of those 110 is taken into account.
There ... there were other cases during my flights.
I will repeat, this is not a criticism, I seek to understand. These statistics are important for me, they serve me to locate me, to see my progress, my efficiency ... μ

Is the problem coming from my connection? From my game?

Thank you for your understanding.

615sqn_Buzz

2 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Hmm, I am not sure. Can you give links to the exact sorties? From here? http://combatbox.net/en/sorties/409/615sqn_Buzz/?tour=12

http://combatbox.net/en/sortie/log/82969/?tour=12

for the 2nd I was wrong. It was a 110, a hunter then a 110. The first 2 planes were counted ... Sorry for this error. The 2nd 110 crashed after the end of the flight.

http://combatbox.net/en/sortie/82941/?tour=12

Voilà.

Have a nice week end

Edited by 615sqn_Buzz

Hi everyone! This week Combat Box is hosting not one, but TWO events!

Friday Night Fights is Sketch's regular evening flyout, this Friday Sep 13th, 9pm Eastern - 11pm Eastern (1am GMT - 3am GMT). Sign up, or don't sign up and instead fly against Sketch's organized squads and see how many bombers you can take a bite out of, the choice is yours! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GRzfTj99hyR8SeurTWz5TvbOWOT1N_V0-hGdN5x5uyg/edit?usp=drivesdk

Saturday Late War Clan War is a more Euro-friendly flyout, this Saturday Sep 14th 1200 Eastern, 1600 GMT. No signup required, but Sketch may ask people to drink shots every time they shoot someone down.

More info on both of these events on our events page: http://combatbox.net/en/events/

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

Hi everyone! This week Combat Box is hosting not one, but TWO events!

Friday Night Fights is Sketch's regular evening flyout, this Friday Sep 13th, 9pm Eastern - 11pm Eastern (1am GMT - 3am GMT). Sign up, or don't sign up and instead fly against Sketch's organized squads and see how many bombers you can take a bite out of, the choice is yours! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GRzfTj99hyR8SeurTWz5TvbOWOT1N_V0-hGdN5x5uyg/edit?usp=drivesdk

Saturday Late War Clan War is a more Euro-friendly flyout, this Saturday Sep 14th 1200 Eastern, 1600 GMT. No signup required, but Sketch may ask people to drink shots every time they shoot someone down.

More info on both of these events on our events page: http://combatbox.net/en/events/

Ack, I have family visiting this weekend and won't be able to get my butt kicked by Sketch and TWB. Such is life.

Just pure curiosity, but how are you handling server numbers for the Friday event. Is it going to be a locked server with password or just whoever gets in gets in?

11 minutes ago, SCG_Wulfe said:

Just pure curiosity, but how are you handling server numbers for the Friday event. Is it going to be a locked server with password or just whoever gets in gets in?

Server will be open to the public. In past events an organized squad logs in and starts rolling, maybe they get some organized opposition, and then people see Combat Box rising in the server listing "sort by population". It tends to attract players from there. There are no coalition balance or aircraft locks in place, other than maps with the 262 (Battle for Kalinin simply has a low number of 262s available, Stalingrad Scramble has the jet fuel depot/train unlock mechanic for the 262s). In the past we've had fairly balanced sides and people can fly (more or less) the planes they want to. At the moment the server is limited to 64 slots as we start to see network performance degrade a bit after that. 

But basically, for your squad, just show up more or less close to the event start time and I'm confident there will be enough spots for you. An hour into the map, maybe less of a guarantee, but usually at map start there's plenty of space.

• Upvote 2

Is it possible to add AI to the maps?  If so, can spawn rates be scaled back when player count increases?  

The reason I ask is threefold. 

Firstly, after practicing in SP with wind and turbulence set at variable levels, I'm starting to realize the planes fly much more 'naturally' with the added aerodynamic factors.   I'd really rather fly on a server that has variable weather conditions.  

The second reason is that I'd rather be on a server that I can complete air combat sorties on even if I'm alone.  Maybe more people would show up too.

The third reason is that it's been the second time in the past month that I've been 1-shot PK'd by 110 gunners that apparently can shoot 30mm cannon rounds.  I'm fucking sick of WoL.  

I like my TeamSpeak team mates but, I really think I need to play on servers that better suit what I want to get out of the sim.   

At times when player count is 0, giving pilots willing to fly solo something to do for AI pwning might keep some of us on long enough to get more players to join.  

I'm pretty certain that there already an 'Add ai when player count is low' script running on this server.

9 minutes ago, [TWB]Sketch said:

I'm pretty certain that there already an 'Add ai when player count is low' script running on this server.

I've seen it on the Stalingrad Scramble map.  (That's the winter one with the Me-262 supply line feature, right?)

I tried a different map yesterday and couldn't confirm if there were any AI.  I'll try again later with a longer flight.  

If all the maps do, in fact, have AI, that would be great. 

2 hours ago, =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ said:

Is it possible to add AI to the maps?  If so, can spawn rates be scaled back when player count increases?  

1 hour ago, [TWB]Sketch said:

Yes, I've just updated the AI and the AI control script. Basically the 4 current maps now have AI patrols and also AI 'scenarios' where bombers will try to attack a specific objective. They will tell you their intent and call for cover too, if you keep an eye on the messages.

Once the server has 15 players online, the AI has a "fast bugout" mechanism -- all the AI fighters will head for friendly territory, and deactivate when there are no planes near them. The bombers tend to complete their missions but in some circumstances they can bug out quickly too. This is a compromise intended to make the AI all disappear fairly quickly at peak times, but keep them around during non-peak times. 

If you notice anything weird about an AI plane, please let us know here or on the Discord and we'll look into it.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

On 9/9/2019 at 11:03 AM, Alonzo said:

I understand that we'll be using the TAW TeamSpeak for this event. How do we get the TAW TeamSpeak password if we are not registered on TAW?

Edited by JimTM

2019_9_1__21_47_12.thumb.png.fbcf6b482d484a5747f221ca4fab6402.png

Friday Night Flights is today at 9pm EDT to 11pm EDT!

We're on Combat Box this week, and will be using TAW Teamspeak for voice communications. As of this post, we have only a few open slots left for both Red and Blue teams. See you tonight!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GRzfTj99hyR8SeurTWz5TvbOWOT1N_V0-hGdN5x5uyg

Edited by [TWB]Sketch
  • Like 1