Combat Box by Red Flight

Alonzo

18 hours ago, Willy__ said:

Aawwww... was hoping for more 262's.... 

🙄

We have a new mission coming with more player-flown 262s and new external control code to manage them. Depending on how that goes, you might see the 262 become more available and with more consistent 'unlock' mechanics. Soon(TM).

• Upvote 1

RedKestrel
18 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Quick update about the server:

Summer is here and IL2 is seeing quite a decrease in players, resulting in Combat Box often not being super full of players. Taking input from our community on Discord, we're doing the following things:

• Removing the "no vulch" zones from all but the rear-most airfields. Players have complained these are overly restrictive; we're listening.
  • Opening the limited "FWD" airfields at all times, not just at low player counts. This should enable you to get into the action a little quicker.
  • Revamping objective layouts without changing overall mission logic. This will 'freshen up' the targets and give players new things to bomb, but takes a little longer than the other changes.

Items 1 and 2 in the list are already done, and 3 is under way.

We did a test of a new mission today, with an ambitious across-the-map back and forth struggle between Germany and the Allies. The test went well so hopefully we'll have this in rotation for everyone soon!

Looking forward to item 3 for sure. I'm open minded about the removal of the no-vulch zones but I worry at low player numbers people will just fly to the nearest airfield and vulch rather than pursue objectives. Incentive for me to fly airfield defence for a bit after I get back from a bombing mission.

Willy__
Posted (edited)

It would be nice to have a sort of dynamic objectives, something along the lines: low player count ? lower the quantity of objectives and put them near each other; the player count went up ? add more and space out the objectives. All of that on the fly without having to reload the map.

I know its not possible to do it with todays editor, but maybe in the future, if we pressure Jason enough ? 😁

-edit-

Heck, I just thought of this now: voting by the end of the map to decide the next one, you know, like CS many many years ago!

Edited by Willy__
  • Upvote 1

Alonzo
On 7/1/2021 at 9:23 AM, Willy__ said:

It would be nice to have a sort of dynamic objectives, something along the lines: low player count ? lower the quantity of objectives and put them near each other; the player count went up ? add more and space out the objectives. All of that on the fly without having to reload the map.

I know its not possible to do it with todays editor, but maybe in the future, if we pressure Jason enough ? 😁

It's definitely possible with today's editor, it can do quite a lot of stuff. And if you add in external scripting to control dserver, through something called "server input" control points, it can get very advanced. If you look at Finnish Virtual Pilots, I believe they are doing a "reset/reconfigure" once every few hours on a running server.

We could definitely open/close objectives based on player count but it's a lot of effort to implement and test. The other suggestion over on our Discord has been to add back Ai planes at lower player counts. That's definitely possible too, but the Ai hasn't been on CB maps for over a year now so I'd have to dust off the code and make sure it's still working.

• Like 1

Alonzo

New mission test and debut this week!

Those of you over in the #map-making channel (get access if you're supporting us on Patreon) already know we have a new mission almost ready for prime time, and we need pilots to help us test. @BlackHellHound1 designed this mission and it won our Christmas mission contest. Rush to Berlin is a fast-paced dynamic mission that involves many small objectives that can be flipped back and forth between Allied and German control. If one side manages to push the other back far enough, they reveal strategic rear targets that can be bombed to win the map. And did I mention player-flyable 262 jets and a destructible jet base?

Tuesday 10pm DE, 2000 UTC, 4pm Eastern time: Public play-through testing, with extra airframes and engine-on accelerated takeoffs.

Friday afternoon/evening: Full public launch of the mission.

The play test on Tuesday will provide us valuable info on the performance and gameplay flow of the new mission. This isn't something we've done before, so please bring friends and have some fun on the new mission. Stats will not be tracked for the Tuesday mission, so just show up and enjoy the action.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dawgboy
19 hours ago, Alonzo said:

The other suggestion over on our Discord has been to add back Ai planes at lower player counts. That's definitely possible too, but the Ai hasn't been on CB maps for over a year now so I'd have to dust off the code and make sure it's still working.

I like this idea...sounds promising.  Thanks for all you do @Alonzo!!

Willy__
23 hours ago, Alonzo said:

The other suggestion over on our Discord has been to add back Ai planes at lower player counts. That's definitely possible too, but the Ai hasn't been on CB maps for over a year now so I'd have to dust off the code and make sure it's still working.

Not a fan of that idea. AI just suck at doing anything and at the same time put stress on the server possible making it a "lagfest"

CIA_Elanski

maybe it is just the time of day i fly but i have mostly seen a lack of axis pilots.   Opening forward fields to vulching sounds really fun for the axis players. lol

Hacked 109s who dont get touched by aaa while a P51 at 400 mph gets pilot wounded by axis aaa at target.  Yes it has been very noticeable the increase in accuracy of the axis aaa and flak bursts.  Still, when I drag 109s over our aaa at targets or fields it doesn't hit them even when I pull them up, flat turn them or go straight over an aaa gun so it doesn't even have to pull lead.  But since there is a serious lack of axis showing up I can see why you would open the allied fields up so they can have vulch parties lol.  Same old, same old after 18 years of IL2 servers.  Thanks for listening.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

LR.TheRedPanda
Posted (edited)

Did something happen to AA recently? Yesterday I got shot and lost rudder control just flying about as usual not on auto level (10 ~ 15kft). Dogefighter also got shot he wrote on chat. Attacking sites in the typhoon the AA is setting me on fire with the usual tactics I do to try and deal with AA.

Edited by LR.theRedPanda

Alonzo
11 hours ago, LR.theRedPanda said:

Did something happen to AA recently? Yesterday I got shot and lost rudder control just flying about as usual not on auto level (10 ~ 15kft). Dogefighter also got shot he wrote on chat. Attacking sites in the typhoon the AA is setting me on fire with the usual tactics I do to try and deal with AA.

Nothing's changed on the missions, but server patches might change behavior. Which mission was it? Operation Market Garden has some high skill flak to shoot down the C47s (on medium skill it didn't do very much, on high skill it can hit players sometimes).

• Thanks 1

CIA_Elanski

I noticed the aaa and flak accuracy across most maps.  So I guess server patch is the answer.

Alonzo

It's Friday folks, and we'll be unveiling the new Rush to Berlin mission from @BlackHellHound1 , winner of the Combat Box mission design contest. This is a very dynamic new mission style with fast-paced objective capture and back-and-forth between the two sides. Oh, and player flyable 262s and a destructible jet base. Spicy!

The mission will debut three hours from now at 2100 CET (1500 Eastern) and we'll also be flying it for Friday Night Flights this evening at 2100 Eastern. Please join us!

Here's the layout as a teaser.

Rush_to_Berlin_March_1945-1000px.thumb.png.beac78f8562e059e1490cb459ed2134b.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

Enigma89

For those that want a preview. I flew around with Alonzo on the beta test night and filmed a bit of the mechanics.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

JG300_Winterz

We had a blast flying on the new mission; really interesting.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

BCI-Nazgul
Posted (edited)
On 7/3/2021 at 2:22 PM, CIA_Elanski said:

maybe it is just the time of day i fly but i have mostly seen a lack of axis pilots.   Opening forward fields to vulching sounds really fun for the axis players. lol

Hacked 109s who dont get touched by aaa while a P51 at 400 mph gets pilot wounded by axis aaa at target.  Yes it has been very noticeable the increase in accuracy of the axis aaa and flak bursts.  Still, when I drag 109s over our aaa at targets or fields it doesn't hit them even when I pull them up, flat turn them or go straight over an aaa gun so it doesn't even have to pull lead.  But since there is a serious lack of axis showing up I can see why you would open the allied fields up so they can have vulch parties lol.  Same old, same old after 18 years of IL2 servers.  Thanks for listening.

I've quit flying IL2 until the .50s are fixed.  Hasn't that evened things up?  🙂

Edited by BCI-Nazgul

FlyingShark
On 7/10/2021 at 1:29 AM, BCI-Nazgul said:

I've quit flying IL2 until the .50s are fixed.  Hasn't that evened things up?

This topic is about Combat Box server, not about whatever you think should be fixed, there's a complaints section in the forum for that.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! This evening for Friday Night Flights we'll be bringing back a 'classic' mission pitting Germany against lend-lease Soviet Russia, in Operation Eisenhammer. The mission features three airfields per side and a range of industrial and airfield targets, as well as sprawling tank and panzer-busting zones. I've updated the mission with SRS voice integration, so you should be able to request a call sign, declare targets, ask for a patrol mission and get directions back to base like with all our other maps (and if you haven't tried the voice bot, why not? It's awesome!)

• Like 3

CIA_Elanski

No worries Nazgul, I set a 262 on fire and 7 or 10 minutes later Bullet says he landed.... so the .50 cals will work...sorta lmao.  Must be net code....ya

• Haha 1

haluter

Announcing a 2 week Haze-free trial on Combat Box!

We have heard rumours that the haze on Combat Box is too high with poor visibility when compared to most other servers, and so we decided to set haze to 0% on all our maps with the next map roll. Everyone is invited to fly on Combat Box during the next 2 weeks and let us know if you see any improvement in visibility (or even if you don't). All feedback is welcome 🙂

Edited by haluter
Clarified when change takes effect
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

TOMORROW NIGHT! Friday Night Flights with @Sketch and 332nd FG.

(apparently I think it's the weekend already, it's not, sadly, it's Thursday. This event is FRIDAY - tomorrow)

From Sketch:

It looks like this week's winner, by a large margin, is Battle of the Scheldt ! There's a lot of action going on in this mission, in the West are Allied Minesweepers and Walcheren Island Axis Artillery, in the center of the conflict is the Port of Antwerp, and in the East - V1 launch Sites prepped to attack Antwerp. Since there's a lot going on, I created a mission brief on all the known targets in the mission. This will help out any Mud Movers with identifying targets, and know what planes to expect in the area. That mission brief can be found here: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1dF1LDYDXfrjBTOUjPKxXr0b8xL3Mz5iBzSeQg3OeASM/edit?usp=sharing

If you have any questions about the mission brief or FnF, let us know. Good luck, and see you in the skies Friday at 9pm Eastern -> https://everytimezone.com/s/10dc690c

No sign up required, just join the server and fly. There should be plenty of pilots on SRS for coordination, and of course you can use the CB Radio speech bot to request a callsign, get takeoff and landing clearances, mission assignments, tactical updates, and vectors home at the end of your mission.

Battle_of_the_Scheldt_Sep_1944.png

Edited by Alonzo
Day of week ermagerd is it the weekend yet?

-332FG-Red_Pilot

@AlonzoIs it possible to add random ground targets without markers scattered all over the map? Trains, cars? Unexpected targets for real free hunting. Among other things, if there are one or two pilots in the red team, and 10 pilots in the blue team, this may be the only non-suicidal task for the thunderbolt..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
352nd_Hoss

Use SRS to see if there are any lurkers..

We often hear from players that the Combat Box maps are more hazy than on other servers.

With that in mind we set the haze on all our maps to the lowest level possible two weeks ago (bearing in mind that maps have an inherent haze which cannot be reduced further).

We would like to hear your feedback on whether this has had a noticable effect compared to the haze on other servers.

PhilthySpud

Bring back the haze! In moderation, of course. Varying weather adds interest and tactical possibilities.

• Upvote 1

VBF-12_KW

I don’t mind the haze, but I don’t feel like I’m missing anything with it removed.  I’m playing on a 32” 4K monitor these days and spotting isn’t a huge issue, but I remember how frustrating it used to be on my old setup when enemies could just materialize in shooting range right before my eyes.  If removing it makes it more fun for the majority then that’s fine by me.

CSW_606_Temp

Rush to Berlin - 
All planes have have best engine. Except Tempest on british airfields . It is feature or bug? 

• 2 weeks later...
E69_McKinley

Greetings dear Combat Box Admins.

I am contacting you as the commander of the E69 squad Il2 wing regarding the ban of the pilot
E69_geramos109

I would like to know which rule of the server did he break to get such a punishment. 98 years. 

On our squad we try to do the things well and we have your server on high value. But the pilot involved does not know which specific reason was applied beyond personal differences because what I saw was just an argument on the chat where geramos said nothing inappropriate, even though he was highly provoked by another player, so to get a ban for that or use this argument as a reason looks childish. 

So I beg you to quit his ban and I swear to talk with him to prevent any further inappropriate conduct on the server or even to talk with you if there is any deeper problem to solve. I am a serious guy and a man of my word and if for any reason he does something bad you can burn his computer. 

I beg you to take my words into consideration because all this situation has brought a lot of discomfort to my squad and because of that I felt the need to write to you. I wait your answer and thank you very much in anticipation for your time.

Best regards from Spain!!!
E69_Mckinley

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

New "custom text messages" feature now on Combat Box.

I've extended the code from CB Radio, our speech recognition Ai bot, and added text call outs. These are informational messages that appear instead of the usual kill feed in chat, and are specific to each coalition (you can't see messages for the other side). You'll now see messages like this when flying on Combat Box:

• Flight of 3, type A-20, departing A-92 Saint Trond.
  • BF-110 with bombs wheels up at Eudenbach.
  • Pilots report heavy air combat near Zaporo, grid 0612.

• diesel99 landed at Bagerovo after a successful sortie and claims 2 air kills and 4 ground kills.

• This is Kenway, mission update. Our bombers are attacking enemy Munitions Factory and U-Boats. Friendly Kleve Defenses and Sherman Tank Convoy report light damage.

• CIA_Elanski has achieved Ace pilot status!

This feature is intended to help replace the kill feed, which we've turned off for now as an experiment. Please let us know what you think, and if you have suggestions for other text messages that would make sense.

If you haven't yet experienced the SRS GCI bot, you're missing out. It has all these features and many more -- you can get a call sign, declare your intentions, get tactical 'picture' information about an objective, and get vectored to the nearest base if you get shot up and are egressing. Tons of fun.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 8