Combat Box by Red Flight

3 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

Can I ask for clarification on the Recon missions.   Yesterday I tried one and could not see any results.  I took a recon spitfire, flew to the recon area and saw enemy ships below I circled them twice at about 10,000ft with no result so I dropped to below the clouds and circled very close two or three times but nothing was happening.  I then flew off and a few minutes later found more enemy ships and circled them three or four times at about 5,000ft but still nothing happened. 

Was I supposed to do something else than just circle?  Was I supposed to get even lower?  Are there objects that look like they should be targets but are not?   These were groups of four ships that looked ripe for attacking but were not showing on the map.

There are a few possible locations each mission and not every one spawns. So you can see 'blank' recon targets that consist of some static structures, but no units (flak, bunkers, trucks, etc.) If you have your HUD active you will see a message on screen when you enter the target area. the SRS command will also tell you you have entered the recon zone on channel 1. You have to stay relatively close and relatively low to recon the target. SRS or your HUD will tell you when you have successfully reconned the target.

Rule of thumb: if you aren't catching flak, chances are its not a recon target, but the setup where one could be.

• Upvote 1
On 3/20/2021 at 5:37 AM, 56RAF_Roblex said:

Can I ask for clarification on the Recon missions.   Yesterday I tried one and could not see any results.  I took a recon spitfire, flew to the recon area and saw enemy ships below I circled them twice at about 10,000ft with no result so I dropped to below the clouds and circled very close two or three times but nothing was happening.

The recon mechanic is that you need to get within a 3,500m (11,000ft) sphere of the centre point of the recon objective, and stay there for 60 seconds. At 10k feet you're likely to miss the 'top' of the sphere, so lower is better. If you're in the right spot you should get a white message to "stay close while photographing", stay within the sphere for 60 seconds and the target should open up on the map. If you stray outside the sphere it will tell you "return to the objective to finish photographing". If you're getting no white text at all then you're either not in the sphere or not at a recon target.

Regarding the targets, only about 2/3rds of the recon targets are active for each map run, picked randomly at mission start. For "inactive" targets, I blow up the ground objects and disable vehicles, so it looks like a burnt-out objective. But we can't remove all the ground objects, only blow them up, so you might see burnt out dugouts (etc) at an 'inactive' recon target. If there were ships at a target, then it's probably an active target (since ships are expensive and I only activate them at active recon objectives). But there could be some other kind of bug.

Which mission was this? I think we have 'recon' on at least two -- Standoff and the Velikie Luki map.

Thanks Alonzo.  It was 'Standoff'  I saw ships near the far Western end of the Estuary Recon section and near the city at the Eastern end of that section.   I was not watching my altimeter but I am pretty sure I was well under 11,000ft and I circled pretty close.  I was probably no higher than 5000ft at the second target but no messages came up.    On the other hand I got no flak either which, as Red Kestrel advised above, would normally indicate that it was not at an active target.

Don't worry.  I will try again later and look for those white messages. I did not know about those and it is useful to know.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex
19 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

Thanks Alonzo.  It was 'Standoff'  I saw ships near the far Western end of the Estuary Recon section and near the city at the Eastern end of that section.   I was not watching my altimeter but I am pretty sure I was well under 11,000ft and I circled pretty close.  I was probably no higher than 5000ft at the second target but no messages came up.    On the other hand I got no flak either which, as Red Kestrel advised above, would normally indicate that it was not at an active target.

Don't worry.  I will try again later and look for those white messages. I did not know about those and it is useful to know.

Groovy. If you're on SRS, you will also get a voice message on channel 1 if you are in recon range, and then either a success message or a "return to complete the recon" message.

Can you destroy or temporarily knock out the yellow smoke repair rearm at forward air bases by bombing??

If so what needs to be destroyed?

If not would that be possible because I think that would be awesome!

Thanks,

Adabadoo 

1 minute ago, BH_Adabadoo_VR said:

Can you destroy or temporarily knock out the yellow smoke repair rearm at forward air bases by bombing??

If so what needs to be destroyed?

If not would that be possible because I think that would be awesome!

Thanks,

Adabadoo 

You can destroy the repair vehicle, but I don't think we have any logic to remove the smoke... but this is a good idea. I will add it to our backlog.

This Friday (2030 UTC, 2130 CET, 1630 Eastern time) we're going to debut a new Combat Box mission, Operation Market Garden. From the mission briefing:

September, 1944. Field Marshal Montgomery's audacious plan launches with an unopposed air drop deep in German territory. The landed paratroopers are well behind enemy lines and need to be supplied in order to continue fighting. The 8th AF is called on to supply fighter support, both to protect the transports and to suppress flak along the flight path of C-47 cargo planes. Meanwhile, the Luftwaffe put forth a significant effort to wrest air superiority over the battlefield from the Allies and to destroy the landed paras.

This mission is designed by @VBF-12_KW and is one of the winners of the contest we ran over the holidays. It features continuous waves of Ai C-47 cargo transports, imposing flak batteries, interesting mechanics such as destroyable / repairable radar that reduces flak effectiveness, and large 'area' targets that mean defenders need to fly patrol routes and can be less sure where the enemy might attack. As you'd expect with a Combat Box mission it features a nod to historical events and comes with well-designed targets, spectacular special effects, and full SRS-radio GCI bot integration with speech recognition and automatic tasking for pilots (should they want it).

I'd also like to mention that Combat Box will be participating in Sturmovikfest 2021 later in April, with two special events planned. Can't tell you what they are yet, since hype. But they'll be good.

Thank you all for your continued support, I hope to see you Friday for the new mission run. We'll also run the new mission on Saturday so that US pilots get a chance at participating in their evening time too.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3
6 hours ago, Alonzo said:

This Friday (2030 UTC, 2130 CET, 1630 Eastern time) we're going to debut a new Combat Box mission, Operation Market Garden.

I'll be heading out of town for a week and will really miss flying with  you all and especially miss the grand opening of a new mission.

I would be very greatful to any and all who could record and upload to youtube or stream anywhere the opening mission and people who stream and record their first time in the mission.  I'd love to see them while I'm gone.

If anyone does stream or upload to youtube or other service please post those details here or in video or PM me.

Thanks much!!!  Good luck!

18 hours ago, Alonzo said:

This Friday (2030 UTC, 2130 CET, 1630 Eastern time) we're going to debut a new Combat Box mission, Operation Market Garden. From the mission briefing:

September, 1944. Field Marshal Montgomery's audacious plan launches with an unopposed air drop deep in German territory. The landed paratroopers are well behind enemy lines and need to be supplied in order to continue fighting. The 8th AF is called on to supply fighter support, both to protect the transports and to suppress flak along the flight path of C-47 cargo planes. Meanwhile, the Luftwaffe put forth a significant effort to wrest air superiority over the battlefield from the Allies and to destroy the landed paras.

This mission is designed by @VBF-12_KW and is one of the winners of the contest we ran over the holidays. It features continuous waves of Ai C-47 cargo transports, imposing flak batteries, interesting mechanics such as destroyable / repairable radar that reduces flak effectiveness, and large 'area' targets that mean defenders need to fly patrol routes and can be less sure where the enemy might attack. As you'd expect with a Combat Box mission it features a nod to historical events and comes with well-designed targets, spectacular special effects, and full SRS-radio GCI bot integration with speech recognition and automatic tasking for pilots (should they want it).

I'd also like to mention that Combat Box will be participating in Sturmovikfest 2021 later in April, with two special events planned. Can't tell you what they are yet, since hype. But they'll be good.

Thank you all for your continued support, I hope to see you Friday for the new mission run. We'll also run the new mission on Saturday so that US pilots get a chance at participating in their evening time too.

Awesomesauce!

21 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Is this mission going to make it into the general rotation, or is it kind of a one-time event thing?

1 hour ago, RedKestrel said:

Is this mission going to make it into the general rotation, or is it kind of a one-time event thing?

Given the time spent on it, hopefully it's good enough to earn a spot in the rotation 🙂 Although it's based on A Bridge Too Far basically only the airfield layout and front line will be familiar, almost everything else about the map is updated and the mechanics are very different.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

Given the time spent on it, hopefully it's good enough to earn a spot in the rotation 🙂 Although it's based on A Bridge Too Far basically only the airfield layout and front line will be familiar, almost everything else about the map is updated and the mechanics are very different.

Good to hear. Probably won't have time to fly this weekend so hopefully some other time.

New feature in our SRS bot (well, two, actually, but I need to do more speech training to enable one of them).

You can now say "command, voodoo-2 in grid 1015, request picture" and the bot will assess action in your immediate vicinity. If there's a "hot" point of interest or heavy fighting within about 20km, it will let you know. It will also look for any enemies it knows about in your sector, and either say "picture clear" if it can't find anything, or it will warn you of the general amount of enemy activity. The bot is not all-seeing, so even if it says "picture clear" you cannot be sure you're actually completely clear of bandits, but if it says "caution, heavy enemy activity" it really knows there are enemies nearby.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3
51 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

New feature in our SRS bot (well, two, actually, but I need to do more speech training to enable one of them).

You can now say "command, voodoo-2 in grid 1015, request picture" and the bot will assess action in your immediate vicinity. If there's a "hot" point of interest or heavy fighting within about 20km, it will let you know. It will also look for any enemies it knows about in your sector, and either say "picture clear" if it can't find anything, or it will warn you of the general amount of enemy activity. The bot is not all-seeing, so even if it says "picture clear" you cannot be sure you're actually completely clear of bandits, but if it says "caution, heavy enemy activity" it really knows there are enemies nearby.

This is really cool!

Hey everyone, wanted to let you know we just completed a server upgrade for Combat Box. Read on for some details.

Combat Box has mostly run on just one 'main' server up until now, including IL2 dedicated server, stats processing, web server, and all the other 'utility' scripts we run like the vulching detector, ban hammer, and so on. Thanks to your support we have upgraded the main server, it's now an AMD 5800X which is about 30-40% faster and should give us more headroom in complex missions with lots of moving pieces. Everything other than the IL2 server is staying on the previous machine, to ensure maximum performance during missions. Due to the split of responsibilities across the two servers, I had to fight Windows a little to get them collaborating nicely, but it seems to mostly be working now.

CB Radio was not working for the majority of yesterday but it's back now. Please let me know if something isn't working.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 2
33 minutes ago, Black-Witch said:

ComBox is not letting me and my wingy in, there's the no-one there at all. it's the new Market Garden map.

Fixed :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven't played IL2 for almost 8 years, and never in VR before. I'm liking this server, great missions, it all looks amazing on my Rift S. Only slight problem I'm having is that every single sortie ends with me dying in a burst of fire from an opponent I never knew was there. 

This is so much harder in VR than in TrackIR. 

3 hours ago, Gryphon962 said:

I haven't played IL2 for almost 8 years, and never in VR before. I'm liking this server, great missions, it all looks amazing on my Rift S. Only slight problem I'm having is that every single sortie ends with me dying in a burst of fire from an opponent I never knew was there. 

This is so much harder in VR than in TrackIR. 

Welcome back!

I think it is harder but also more satisfying and rewarding.  I really feel like I'm in the machines.  You get better at spotting and better at sa but I still end in flames from a guy I never saw at least 50% of my deaths.

The reverb g2 defiantly helps with spotting.

Great game in vr.  I love these missions too.

50 minutes ago, BH_Adabadoo_VR said:

Welcome back!

I think it is harder but also more satisfying and rewarding.  I really feel like I'm in the machines.  You get better at spotting and better at sa but I still end in flames from a guy I never saw at least 50% of my deaths.

The reverb g2 defiantly helps with spotting.

Great game in vr.  I love these missions too.

I'm using a Rift S, the 90 degree FOV is pretty narrow and making it hard to look over shoulder. I lose 100% of my multiplayer dogfights due to losing sight of the bandit. Still, its a great experience, and I wouldn't go back to TrackIR after this.

3 hours ago, Gryphon962 said:

I'm using a Rift S, the 90 degree FOV is pretty narrow and making it hard to look over shoulder. I lose 100% of my multiplayer dogfights due to losing sight of the bandit. Still, its a great experience, and I wouldn't go back to TrackIR after this.

This app really helps me since I fly VR in a chair that doesn’t rotate:

Guys, for those who are interested in a little more organized flight, take a look at the CombatBox discord in the Friday Night Flight section. These events have been running once a week for some time, but at an inconvenient time for Europeans. This Saturday we are organizing the first EU-friendly event from 21:00 CET (19:00 GMT) called Saturday Encore Flights.

Registration and SRS are mandatory, the briefing will take place half an hour before the event at Discord. All information can be found on the Discord CombatBox in the FnF section...

Edited by CSW_Hot_Dog
  • Like 2

Noob question. Just getting back into Sims after a long while. Was in the JG26 squad for European Air War, loved that game.

I'm getting everything set up and it looks great. Mapping keys to my joystick and all. Question is, how do I pull up the current map while in the cockpit?

Thanks,

Jim

54 minutes ago, StachelJG26 said:

Noob question. Just getting back into Sims after a long while. Was in the JG26 squad for European Air War, loved that game.

I'm getting everything set up and it looks great. Mapping keys to my joystick and all. Question is, how do I pull up the current map while in the cockpit?

Thanks,

Jim

I believe the default key to open the full-screen map is the "O" key. I don't believe the realism settings on the server permit a 'minimap' in the cockpit, but I don't know as I really never used that feature in the game.

Can I just say THANKS for hosting a 'Training and Dogfight' server in addition to the main? Was really struggling in the main as my setup wasnt great and its been years since I IL2'd. An hour in the training and dogfight server had me getting sorted and it was a blast. I'll probably live there for a few days until my spotting improves beyond 5km

• Like 3
On 4/3/2021 at 12:57 PM, RedKestrel said:

I believe the default key to open the full-screen map is the "O" key. I don't believe the realism settings on the server permit a 'minimap' in the cockpit, but I don't know as I really never used that feature in the game.

Thanks RedKestrel - Will give that a try here in a bit.

Thanks,

Jim

Saturday-Encore-Flight.jpg.54963cfa17454502ab96d7d4d7ef7519.jpg

In cooperation with the admins of the Combat Box, we would like to invite you to new events held on Saturday. The next event is already taking place this Saturday, April 10!

All information including registration link can be found on the Discord CombatBox in the FnF section. discord.combatbox.net I deliberately do not write more information here to take a look at Discord, where you will find everything you need and, in addition, briefing is held there. The briefing before the event does not necessarily have to be attended by the entire squadron, but at least the flight commander must...

Edited by CSW_Hot_Dog
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I have tried to use the discord link and it says have an invite for Combat Box by Red Flight. When I click on the on the invite it brings me to discord but not Combat Box. Any suggestions?

Hi all.

ALONZO, combat box is the beste server to flight, but please, if possible, pt more time in mission like 5 hours or more to give the full reality of simulation flight, me and my team always have been looking to accomplished the mission, dogfight its a consequence of be there, but the main objective is bomb, escort other planes, etc............so i think the combat box need more time at missions.

Thanks for attention.

3 hours ago, Jiggs said:

I have tried to use the discord link and it says have an invite for Combat Box by Red Flight. When I click on the on the invite it brings me to discord but not Combat Box. Any suggestions?

Hmm, you could try link from Combat Box stats page down here: https://combatbox.net/en/info/

But it should be the same, I copy from there... Maybe question to @Alonzo?

• Thanks 1

Bridge to Far.  German Helmond base is two grids from three targets.  Our bases are 4 grids from Veghel.  1315 and 1414 get knocked out immediately.  That is 3 down.  They they go north.  Only Gilze is even close and that is at least eight grids away.  And Gilze is very limited in planes.  So they get to make many runs at two grids and then basic free pass up north because our bases are so far away.  Nice.  Well done. 

Oh, by the way, the aaa at Vokel continues to respawn.  Thanks for that.

On 4/9/2021 at 10:37 PM, CIA_Elanski said:

Bridge to Far.  German Helmond base is two grids from three targets.  Our bases are 4 grids from Veghel.  1315 and 1414 get knocked out immediately.  That is 3 down.  They they go north.  Only Gilze is even close and that is at least eight grids away.  And Gilze is very limited in planes.  So they get to make many runs at two grids and then basic free pass up north because our bases are so far away.  Nice.  Well done. 

Oh, by the way, the aaa at Vokel continues to respawn.  Thanks for that.

I'm glad you're enjoying the mission. We added the 'forward' airfields for times when there are fewer players online so people could get into the action faster, and they are quite limited in the number of airframes available.

Do you have a suggestion for how we could improve it?

• Like 2

Am I the only one having freezes/lags over objectives and airfields?

I have the feeling the missions are made by people with high end computers for players with high end computers.

Update April 30: after many tests, this server is unplayable for me

Edited by Frakkas
  • Upvote 2
54 minutes ago, Frakkas said:

Am I the only one having freezes/lags over objectives and airfields?

I have the feeling the missions are made by people with high end computers.

I got some serious stutters and lag when landing near one of the RRR locations on Mitchell’s Men the other day. Never had anything like that since I upgraded my gpu. I think I’ve noticed slightly worse performance overall in the most recent patch. Not sure what the mission design might impact there.

@Alonzo I like the idea of a Operation Market Garden map in rotation. Looks very good and plays well.

If I may suggest to the team to tweak the weather as on of the failures of Monty's plan was the weather. 

According to my research for a single mission I created, this was more like the weather forecast for the combat area:

image.png.a0a3b090f140856060a0551e76f815a6.png