Combat Box by Red Flight

1 minute ago, VBF-12_Snake9 said:

Does the bot understand red neck..  That's my only hope.  

Hah I know you're joking because I have heard you on comms, but in all seriousness - please submit voice recordings using the radio trainer! It only takes ten or fifteen minutes to carefully go through them. The more people that do this, the better the experience will be for everyone!

7 minutes ago, haluter said:

Alonzo is a wizard... the voice recognition bot is not even the most complex project he's working on right now. Watch this space :)

I'm looking forward to casting Magic Missile at the Luftwaffe.
/Abracadabra, fox-3

• Haha 2
9 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

Tubular!

"Duuude*, this is Gnarly flight in Lower Trestles , lookin' for heavy swells in our sector...."

* Assuming the bot won't mind being called "Dude"  😁

• Haha 2

Pilots can now request taxi, takeoff and landing clearances, and ask for airfield information (runway in use, traffic). Complete command list with examples here: https://combatbox.net/en/info/#cb-radio

Feedback appreciated. Recognition for these new phrases may be dodgy to begin with, if you have trouble please let me know what you tried to say to the bot, and what happened.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

I am non native English speaker, but SRS works for me. Especially if I disable some "realistic radio noise":
- Disable Radio Voice Effect - dis/en/ables a realistic radio effect to all incoming radio transmissions
- Disable Clipping Effect - dis/en/ables a further realistic radio effect. If enabled you will need to increase the Speaker Boost as the volume will be reduced

Some hints:

-I didn´t understand my name given from bot; repeat "Tower, radio check" - they will answer with your name again

- SRS is push to talk only - you can not disable it. There is another thing in settings that sounds like that, but it is not:

Radio Switch works as Push To Talk - If enabled, instead of pressing the PTT button to talk, you can press and hold either Radio or Intercom switch to switch and speak in one press

- Also, setting the right channel is not intuitive; I have my set on "2-3" booth upper and lower. I can not set only one, maybe somebody can explain that better?

@Alonzo I wish bot understands "going to bomb target at 1510, eta 12min", and coordinate cover and another bombers to same target.

Edited by Brzi_Joe
9 hours ago, Brzi_Joe said:

- Also, setting the right channel is not intuitive; I have my set on "2-3" booth upper and lower. I can not set only one, maybe somebody can explain that better?

@Alonzo I wish bot understands "going to bomb target at 1510, eta 12min", and coordinate cover and another bombers to same target.

Hello Joe! The SRS overlay shows channel number - number of pilots on channel. So "2-3" is actually "channel 2, with 3 pilots on frequency". I can see how this would be confusing. I use the "text to speech" feature in SRS so that it speaks the channel number I am on, I find this useful in VR as I cannot see the overlay.

The "intent to bomb target" feature is something I strongly want to do. Unfortunately the code is at the limit of its complexity and I need to restructure to better implement this feature. It's coming, but will be a few days.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Brzi_Joe said:

How do you use text to speech? I can not try now (it is late), but it gets more and more interesting :)

There's an option in the SRS configurations, maybe the screen where you set up hotkeys?

19 hours ago, Brzi_Joe said:

How do you use text to speech? I can not try now (it is late), but it gets more and more interesting :)

SRS settings and SRS controls tabs

481321778_texttospeech.PNG.dc0eee9b05fe86e33e005fddc8d609b4.PNG 1177826751_texttospeech-2.PNG.bf193caff9e432512feddc92b169e012.PNG

• Thanks 1

I have a question. So a player(Player-139575) was repeatedly strafing and destroying departing friendly aircraft on his own airfield tonight. It appears he wasn't booted at all. Why is it that you get booted for hitting enemy aircraft 8km from a their protected airfield, but not if your killing friendlies at your airfield?

Edited by DBCOOPER011
20 hours ago, DBCOOPER011 said:

I have a question. So a player(Player-139575) was repeatedly strafing and destroying departing friendly aircraft on his own airfield tonight. It appears he wasn't booted at all. Why is it that you get booted for hitting enemy aircraft 8km from a their protected airfield, but not if your killing friendlies at your airfield?

Player-139575 has been given a short holiday from CB.

Alonzo, as i understand, you can place British plane on US airfield and vice versa, because nation is plane parameter in mission editor. Problem is, that to wear G-Suite on P-47, P38 and P-51, date starting september 1944 isnt enough, you have to be an american pilot, which is very confusing. Read this:

So can you please confirm or disprove, that all planes which spawn on US airfield are american planes and all planes, which spwan on British airfiled are RAF planes in missions on your server? Thnak you very much. I understand, that this problem is caused by developers, who choose very unclear way to G-Suite wearing conditions, but i would like to know, if Im wearing G-Suite or not on CombatBox. Thank you.

Edited by CSW_Hot_Dog

Hey folks, I've been doing some updates to the GCI speech-recognition bot. It now has these features (see below for example phrases):

• Request a call sign from Command, or request a specific one if you have a favorite.
  • Request call signs for a 'flight' of aircraft. The 'lead' is assigned to whoever asked, wingmen can radio to request the 2, 3, 4 (etc) positions.
  • Request taxi, takeoff and landing clearance.
  • Request airfield conditions.
  • Tell the bot where you are, so it can decide to give you orders and alerts.
  • Receive suggestions for patrol routes or nearby targets that need help, or (if you have bombs/rockets) nearby enemy targets you should attack.
  • (if you told it your grid recently) receive alerts if nearby targets are attacked or if nearby friendlies need cover attacking an enemy target.

It's starting to get to the point where you could really call it a GCI. Next is more features for bombers: declaring intentions to bomb a target, ETA, requesting cover, etc.

Here's the info from the web page including example phrasing for each of the commands:

"CB Radio" and AI Ground Controllers

Combat Box features artificial intelligence that provides strategic mission updates as well as new experimental voice recognition. You may hear AI voices on channel 1 radioing that targets are under attack or warning of heavy fighting, or broadcasting airfield conditions and traffic updates on channel 2.

If you wish to use the speech recognition, first join channel 2 and say "tower, radio check". The AI should respond that it can hear you. You can then say "tower, request call sign" in order to be assigned a call sign. Please listen carefully and remember your call sign -- currently you cannot request a specific callsign, one will be assigned to you. If you forget your call sign, do another radio check and the bot will use your call sign in response.

Radio calls work best if you use the "full" radio call sequence each time, i.e. [ident you are talking to] [your ident] [your location, if relevant] [your request].

"Kenway, this is Voodoo-2 in grid 1218, request mission" will be more reliable than "Voodoo-2, 1218, need mission." Abbreviated calls do work, but if you're having trouble getting a response from the bot, try the long/formal version. The bot supports the following commands:

• "Tower, radio check", "Command, comms check", "Mic check" — Request a radio check.
  • "Tower, request call sign." — Request a call sign for the duration of your mission. Call signs persist through death but are reset on map roll. If you forget your call sign, just do another request or a radio check and the bot will remind you.
  • "Tower, request call sign Uncle-4" — Request a specific call sign. If it is available, the bot will assign it to you. Note: Sometimes it's hard to get the bot to hear you correctly. Try distinctive call signs like 'Tomahawk', 'Raven', 'Voodoo', 'Eagle' and 'Quicksand'.
  • "Tower, flight of three, type 109, request call sign." — Request a call sign for a flight of up to five aircraft. Only the flight lead should do this, and the bot will assign the 'lead' call sign to whoever made the radio call. Wingmates should follow up with "Tower, request call sign Voodoo-2" (or whichever call sign it assigned) to register that they are wingmen.
  • "Tower, permission to taxi", "Ground, this is Vulture-5 request taxi" — Request taxi clearance.
  • "Tower, request takeoff clearance", "Tower, this is Voodoo-2, ready to take off" — Request takeoff clearance.
  • "Control, Nighthawk-2 in grid 3130, request assignment.", "Kenway, this is Uncle-3 in grid 1015, request mission.", "Command, this is Tomahawk-2 in grid 2024, need orders." — Request an appropriate mission for your location and aircraft role. For fighters, the bot suggests nearby friendly objectives that need protection or nearby enemy targets where friendlies need cover. For bombers, the bot will suggest a nearby enemy objective that you can attack, but it doesn't know when targets are destroyed, so it might send you to something that's already destroyed. The bot knows if you have bombs/rockets and will treat you as a fighter or bomber. Jabos will automatically be treated as fighters once they have dropped their bombs.
  • "Longbow, this is Voodoo-5 in grid 2411, need vector to friendly airfield", "Control, this is Arrow-Lead in grid 1017, request bearing home" — Request a compass heading for you to fly to the nearest friendly airfield.
  • "Tower, request airfield information", "Tower this is Anvil-2 in grid 1017, request runway in use", "Airfield, request advisory" — Request current airfield conditions such as the runway in use and traffic.
  • "Tower, Banshee-2 in grid 1012, request landing.", "Melsbroek Airfield, Tomahawk-Lead, request landing.", "Control, Banshee-2 inbound for landing" — Pilots can ask the tower for a landing clearance. Due to the fact that many pilots are not on SRS, the tower can only give an advisory, but it should help you on your approach. You need to give a grid at some point in your interaction with the tower, to establish that you're nearby, but once you've done that you can request clearance without including a grid.

Please use channel 2 whenever possible for setting up call signs and doing radio checks.

Channel 1 can get swamped with pilot chatter, and the bot will respond on either channel. If you are Allied, you can use callsigns "Kenway" and "Longbow" to address the bot, in addition to "Command" and "Control" that are used by Germany. If you're on channel 2 the bot will also respond when addressed as "tower" or "airfield".

Improving speech recognition

The bot is trained on speech samples from the pilot community. If you want to help train the bot to recognize your voice and accent, please join our Discord and see the #voice-recordings channel to download our bot-trainer utility. We really appreciate pilots submitting their voice samples — it helps make the bot better for everyone.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3
On 2/18/2021 at 3:55 AM, CSW_Hot_Dog said:

Alonzo, as i understand, you can place British plane on US airfield and vice versa, because nation is plane parameter in mission editor. Problem is, that to wear G-Suite on P-47, P38 and P-51, date starting september 1944 isnt enough, you have to be an american pilot, which is very confusing. Read this:

So can you please confirm or disprove, that all planes which spawn on US airfield are american planes and all planes, which spwan on British airfiled are RAF planes in missions on your server? Thnak you very much. I understand, that this problem is caused by developers, who choose very unclear way to G-Suite wearing conditions, but i would like to know, if Im wearing G-Suite or not on CombatBox. Thank you.

We have RAF and USAF bases, check the icon to tell which is which. And the map date should be listed on the file name (on the server browser screen) and in the mission briefing. I think knowing RAF/USAF and the date is enough to know the g-suit thing but I'm not sure. Maybe someone else knows more.

3 hours ago, Alonzo said:

We have RAF and USAF bases, check the icon to tell which is which. And the map date should be listed on the file name (on the server browser screen) and in the mission briefing. I think knowing RAF/USAF and the date is enough to know the g-suit thing but I'm not sure. Maybe someone else knows more.

Yeah, but even on RAF base palne with US pilot can spwan. We check it yesterday, mission "Mitchels men" On all bases including RAF Eidhoven, we spawn in P-47D-22 and all the time we have brown USA jacket, while Spitfire IX has RAF pilot on Eidhoven (blue jacket), but USA pilot on all other bases (brown jacket). So it seems, that check it with someone else after spawn is only way, how to detrmine, if you are fyling RAF or USA pilot... As someone said in the link I posted, it is not base dependent, every plane has a nation as parameter: "When you add aircraft to an airfield in the Full Mission Editor there is a properties box where you set various parameters, number available, on parking, on runway, etc...  there is also a selection of it's country, which is a small drop box with a list of countries available to choose from."

It is definitely bad move from developers, if they choose do it as plane modification, everything would be much clearer...

Edited by CSW_Hot_Dog
5 hours ago, CSW_Hot_Dog said:

As someone said in the link I posted, it is not base dependent, every plane has a nation as parameter: "When you add aircraft to an airfield in the Full Mission Editor there is a properties box where you set various parameters, number available, on parking, on runway, etc...  there is also a selection of it's country, which is a small drop box with a list of countries available to choose from."

Oh. That is new. Thank you for pointing that out, I will bring that to the rest of the team and figure out what we're going to do about that. Thanks!

• Thanks 2
On 2/9/2021 at 10:39 AM, Alonzo said:

There isn't an easy way, unfortunately. We could make it so ground kills before the recon is complete don't count toward "target destroyed" but that would mean someone could actually harm their team's performance (if they killed the objects before recon was complete, there might not be enough objects left to achieve destruction).

At the moment, the two things are kept separate -- did the recon complete, and did enough ground stuff get killed? If 'yes' to both, target is marked as destroyed, victory point is awarded.

I am a late night gamer.  I get to play with full server only on weekends sometimes but I play everynight late and there are only 2-10 players on with me then.

Sometimes I'm all alone practicing.  I've often thought that it would be better if there was a factor to measure in the player amount on and the opposition amount into the scoring.  Playing with zero opposition should be a forfeit practice mission with zero score.  Keep the record of what you did but score should be much lower.  

If one side has more players score should bias a bit down on that side by the ratio.  If the server is less than full then all scores should lower by the amount of less than full server.   That would totally solve this issue and make late nights into practice for the big games.  I believe this would level the scores and make them much more useful.

Currently to find my mentor heros I need to search for players high in rank see what they are flying then look to see if they can score like that in full servers.  If they have high score but no one plays when they do then the score is useless to compare.  This would make scoring possible most times but bias it to the risk.  I think this would make for a much better level scoring system where you could really see who was able to get the job done.  The problem remains that some players can't play when there are lots on but that is an issue anyway are there scores really relevant as it is now it's a distortion that isn't useful or fair and doesn't represent their skill.  If someone only cares for points without contest does the rest of the community care about there desire for points without contest?  I for one don't I'd like my score to represent what I do more accurately in this way.  I suppose I could be missing something but it seems to me this ratio of sides and fullness would solve lots of scoring issues and farming would go.

Thanks sorry so long...

10 hours ago, BH_Adabadoo_VR said:

I am a late night gamer.  I get to play with full server only on weekends sometimes but I play everynight late and there are only 2-10 players on with me then.

Sometimes I'm all alone practicing.  I've often thought that it would be better if there was a factor to measure in the player amount on and the opposition amount into the scoring.  Playing with zero opposition should be a forfeit practice mission with zero score.  Keep the record of what you did but score should be much lower.  

If one side has more players score should bias a bit down on that side by the ratio.  If the server is less than full then all scores should lower by the amount of less than full server.   That would totally solve this issue and make late nights into practice for the big games.  I believe this would level the scores and make them much more useful.

Currently to find my mentor heros I need to search for players high in rank see what they are flying then look to see if they can score like that in full servers.  If they have high score but no one plays when they do then the score is useless to compare.  This would make scoring possible most times but bias it to the risk.  I think this would make for a much better level scoring system where you could really see who was able to get the job done.  The problem remains that some players can't play when there are lots on but that is an issue anyway are there scores really relevant as it is now it's a distortion that isn't useful or fair and doesn't represent their skill.  If someone only cares for points without contest does the rest of the community care about there desire for points without contest?  I for one don't I'd like my score to represent what I do more accurately in this way.  I suppose I could be missing something but it seems to me this ratio of sides and fullness would solve lots of scoring issues and farming would go.

Thanks sorry so long...

In players web stats there is Ratio to show if player play mostly outnumbered, if its 1.0 player plays when both sides are eaqal, if its below 1.0 it means player plays mostly when he have advantage in numbers, if its abow 1.0 it means player plays when hes outnumbered. 

On WoL i would usealy play on red so i would most of time be outnumbered and have that ratio abow 1.0 , and i recomended WoL admins to add this Ratio value in total ranking score so atleast you get bonus for playing on side with less players.

I tought to just add it as multiplyer of total rank points formula SD * SH * score) / 1000, for example ((SD * SH * score) / 1000 ) * PlayersRatio.

But they never did anything about it.

• Upvote 3

Don't get me wrong, I like having a score and knowing how you compare with other players but I'd like there to be more emphasis on breakdowns regarding the pilot during the month... which plane do I get the most A2A kills, which is my best ground attacker, etc.  I dunno... I'm just less interested in squeezing out 2 or 10 additional spaces in the hierarchy because of an algorithm change.  I am mostly cannon fodder though, so I mainly use that stats page to compare against myself month to month and if there's been any improvement.  To each their own, I guess.

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't have posted about it until I saw the boat thing which I totally noticed him doing and actually I'm frequently on while he's doing that.  I just saw how high is score was for months and had to discount it and wondered if there was a better way.  If it wasn't hard to redo the formula to take into account the amount of players on a mission and the opposition ratio I'd be all for the change as it would make the ranking more useful. If you're gonna have ranking and you can make it more useful that would be nice.

But I'd have never mentioned it otherwise.  If it's hard I'd rather have better comm tools they are working on and more missions.

I'd especially like a mission that starts in the dark for and hour and goes into day or starts in day but ends an hour in the dark.  

That aside I never had much problem learning what I needed to from the ranking and stats.  

If it was an easy low hanging fruit change it would be well worth it.

New feature in the GCI bot: Bombers can declare their target and receive fighter cover directed by the GCI.

So basically you can do stuff like "Command this is Maniac-5, bomber en route to grid 1016, ETA 7 minutes" and it will look up the target you're headed to.

You can also do:

• "Command, Voodoo-2, strike package objective grid 1514."
  • "Voodoo-2, Command, understood your target 21st SS Panzers. Give ETA for fighter cover."
  • "Command, Voodoo-2, ETA 10 minutes." "Voodoo-2, Command, roger."

And along the way to target you can do "Command, this is Voodoo-2 in grid 1610, ETA 5 minutes." to update your ETA.

About 3 minutes before you get to target, GCI should find a nearby fighter (if fighters are reporting their locations to the bot every now and then) and say "Anvil-3, command, friendly bombers need cover at 21st SS Panzers ten miles west"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

New feature in the GCI bot: Bombers can declare their target and receive fighter cover directed by the GCI.

So basically you can do stuff like "Command this is Maniac-5, bomber en route to grid 1016, ETA 7 minutes" and it will look up the target you're headed to.

You can also do:

• "Voodoo-2, Command, understood your target 21st SS Panzers. Give ETA for fighter cover."

And along the way to target you can do "Command, this is Voodoo-2 in grid 1610, ETA 5 minutes." to update your ETA.

About 3 minutes before you get to target, GCI should find a nearby fighter (if fighters are reporting their locations to the bot every now and then) and say "Anvil-3, command, friendly bombers need cover at 21st SS Panzers ten miles west"

This is some black magic stuff! Can't wait to try it! 

15 hours ago, Alonzo said:

You can also do:

You might want to reduce cloud levels more often to allow level bombing by bombers.  Just saying 😁

I've been doing a lot of level bombing this month and it's doable with the current cloud levels (heavy cloud cover makes it difficult for sure but it can be done).

Edited by Birdman
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Black-Witch said:

yep,

8 hours in Finnish this year, all in Fighters.

I just feel like most people would like more, not less, varied weather. And I say this as someone who actually does regularly fly bomber and attack aircraft.

2 minutes ago, Diggun said:

8 hours in Finnish this year, all in Fighters.

I just feel like most people would like more, not less, varied weather. And I say this as someone who actually does regularly fly bomber and attack aircraft.

I like the varied weather. If the clouds were not so hard on performance I would advocate for a lot more, but as it isthe truly heavy clouds take a toll on mid-range machines like mine.

Mind you I've never learned to level bomb adequately. I like having the clouds for extra cover on attack sorties. 

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Diggun said:

Without wishing to indoctrinate you into the dark arts, this one simple tool (no idea who made it - Spiff, apparently?) is like suuuuuuper helpful... https://spiff.ddns.net/il2bcalc/ 

Thanks! That helps with the math a bit. I think I just need to take some time and practice. I'm missing out on a whole aspect of the sim.

Time is at a premium unfortunately, and sometimes you just want to blow stuff up real close to the ground...

• Like 1