Combat Box by Red Flight

Alonzo

We've very excited to announce the winners of the mission design contest!

First place and a $40 gift card for the 1C store goes to Rush to Berlin by BlackHellHound1. This mission is super interesting, ambitious, and features new mechanics that we're excited to build.

Second place and a $20 gift card goes to Market Garden Air Drop by VBF-12_KW. KW suggested this adaptation of our existing Bridge Too Far mission a while back and created a very compelling new mission focused on protecting or attacking C-47 supply drops during Operation Market Garden.

Third place and a $10 gift card goes to Fall of Munster by Cass D.R. It's a classic map layout with an additional mechanic to do with softening up 'main' targets by destroying smaller ones and we think it will add a strategic element to the mission.

We'd like to thank everyone who submitted a mission design to the contest. They were all great entries with some really good thinking behind them and plot lines. We're a little bit sad that we had to pick just three winners, since all the entries were so good.

Sketch and Alonzo will be working with the mission designers to convert the winning entries into flyable missions for Combat Box, stay tuned to see those come to life.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

FlyingShark
On 4/2/2019 at 10:23 PM, Alonzo said:

The server is hosted in North America with a good ping to Europe.

Erm...did anything change on that matter, I'm being kicked time after time due to high ping this evening?
I didn't have this problem before and I also saw that I was not the only one.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

SCG_FeuerFliegen
20 hours ago, QB.Creep said:

Take a look at the suggestions thread in CB discord and you will see that increasing the early morning/late evening map times or inclement weather is a very unpopular idea for many in the CB community. You will see it occasionally, but it is rare.

Yea, I also hear that it's unpopular... but man, I would absolutely love a night mission, at least every once in a while.  With spotlights all around the objectives...  

I think it should probably be rare, but I would really love some unique variety like that.

VBF-12_KW

Attention Combat Box players!  To celebrate a new year, and the excitement of some new missions and new aircraft that we'll be seeing soon, I wanted to offer something back to our community.  I've got 0 copies left of Battle of Bodenplatte: Standard to give away.  I want to gift these to any needy Combat Box players who don't have BoBP yet and are stuck playing on the server with older birds.  Please hit me up if this describes you or some other worthy player you want to nominate. 

Edit:  Congrats to @Apollos and @Jojobejo!

Edited by VBF-12_KW
Giveaway update
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Battle of the Scheldt Mission ME 262 activation

How do you activate the ME 262 in the mission ? i don't see it displayed in the airbases menu and yet i see in Stats players have used it just recently .

List of missions which include the 262 

Which are the missions which allow you to fly the ME 262 ? not sure but i believe the Battle over Eindhoven has it when the fuel supply train arrives at Menlo .

Edited by adler_1

16 hours ago, FlyingShark said:

Erm...did anything change on that matter, I'm being kicked time after time due to high ping this evening?

As far as I know nothing's changed, the server is hosted in New York, USA.

3 hours ago, adler_1 said:

Battle of the Scheldt Mission ME 262 activation

How do you activate the ME 262 in the mission ? i don't see it displayed in the airbases menu and yet i see in Stats players have used it just recently .

List of missions which include the 262 

Which are the missions which allow you to fly the ME 262 ? not sure but i believe the Battle over Eindhoven has it when the fuel supply train arrives at Menlo .

262 activation generally depends on there being plenty of opposing players and is deliberately randomized to make it harder for someone to know exactly when the 262 will unlock. It's intended to be a 'bonus' plane that you might get to fly sometimes, rather than something that is guaranteed. Missions with the 262:

• Battle over Eindhoven (fuel train / fuel depot)
  • Battle of the Scheldt (small number available later in the mission)
  • Mitchell's Men (small number available later in the mission)
  • Crossing the Rhine (small number available later in the mission)
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

REF ME 262

Att Alonzo

Is there always some form of notification while we are playing the above mentioned  missions that they are now available ? I have seen it in the Eindhoven mission post arrival of fuel trains at Venlo . Are the take offs always from the ground engines switched off ?

Edited by adler_1

RedKestrel
21 hours ago, FlyingShark said:

Have a nice day.

:salute:

I have had this on some random days lately. I think its just network load issues rather than a problem with the server itself. 

RedKestrel
10 hours ago, Coronavirus_Carl said:

The server seems... dead 

TAW is on. A lot of people who normally fly weeknight evenings are flying there. It will be a little quieter until TAW is done probably. It will still be busy enough on the weekends.

Bilbo_Baggins
On 1/14/2021 at 10:53 PM, RedKestrel said:

TAW is on. A lot of people who normally fly weeknight evenings are flying there. It will be a little quieter until TAW is done probably. It will still be busy enough on the weekends.

Perhaps more to do with Finnish VirtualPilots taking over the whole scene recently.

On 1/17/2021 at 7:59 PM, Bilbo_Baggins said:

Perhaps more to do with Finnish VirtualPilots taking over the whole scene recently.

Some players at Finnish server complained that they have to fly long distance to find an enemy or reach to a target. That's especially true for the allied. Maybe we can have a map that has shorter distance to lure more players?

• Upvote 2

NO.20_Krispy_Duck

From what I have heard and seen on Finnish, the distances are part of it, and SRS. Newer people and more casual players seem to prefer shorter travel time and Discord. I have both, and certainly you can use both, but it seems like the casual people and newer players prefer Discord. I've heard some newer people ask about Discord on Combatbox and people direct them to SRS. They ask, "why is no one on the Discord channel?" Sometimes they get into SRS, but sometimes they have problems with it and give up.

Edited by NO.20_Krispy_Duck

=TBAS=Sshadow14

I think the Channel player limit stung many but now pointless as srs no limit.

RedKestrel
15 hours ago, NO.20_Krispy_Duck said:

From what I have heard and seen on Finnish, the distances are part of it, and SRS. Newer people and more casual players seem to prefer shorter travel time and Discord. I have both, and certainly you can use both, but it seems like the casual people and newer players prefer Discord. I've heard some newer people ask about Discord on Combatbox and people direct them to SRS. They ask, "why is no one on the Discord channel?" Sometimes they get into SRS, but sometimes they have problems with it and give up.

CombatBox's implementation of SRS is one its best features, though. I couldn't go back to Discord - everyone flies in the 'voice activation' channel which means you hear everyone's dog, cats, kids, wives, and whatever they're snacking on. Can't switch channels easily. Chews up system resources. And often enough, causes me connection issues.

People keep trying to think of reasons why sever pops are down and it's just:
-TAW is on

-Finnish has high numbers and that alone attracts more people
-I haven't been flying as much to give the lufties easy kills

I can't even play on Finnish, every time I fly there I get the invisible planes bug. Never gotten it anywhere else.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

LR.CrimsonLion
2 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

-TAW is on

Yeah, but I have been around so easy kills are a plenty.  

I don't feel it's been terribly dead. Yeah..it's not 40 a side every night, but go bomb something and take your frustrations out on the killer AA.  It's nice to get to target, kill things AND get home.

• Upvote 1

NO.20_Krispy_Duck
2 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

CombatBox's implementation of SRS is one its best features, though. I couldn't go back to Discord - everyone flies in the 'voice activation' channel which means you hear everyone's dog, cats, kids, wives, and whatever they're snacking on. Can't switch channels easily. Chews up system resources. And often enough, causes me connection issues.

-TAW is on

I can't even play on Finnish, every time I fly there I get the invisible planes bug. Never gotten it anywhere else.

I prefer CombatBoX because I think the missions are better-conceived and you get heavy vulching on Finnish. The last invis plane bug I had was on Finnish on my side as well. Up to a point, reduced player numbers are nice for ground attackers who don't want to get jumped every time. I spend probably 60% of my time on ground attack with single-engine fighters. It's nice to take something like a Hurricane or P-40 and get home after a strafe run. The downside is once you dip below a certain level, you end up just going to Finnish because CombatBoX is down to like 6 people. Had that a couple times this week, though I fly CombatBoX when I can.

5 hours ago, =TBAS=Sshadow14 said:

I think the Channel player limit stung many but now pointless as srs no limit.

We removed the channel limit a couple of weeks ago, so if people want to enjoy 20+ randomz mouth breathing into the channel, they can 😉

5 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

-TAW is on

People should be asking about the overall player trend, not the trend on one server. If this is a growing multiplayer community, why does one of the most popular servers become much less populated when one single server (TAW) is running its campaign? My theory is it's because the active MP community is ~150 people on a week night and ~300 on weekends.

Finnish is a great server, interesting stuff, dynamic campaigns, friendly admin team. It's hard for me to wish them ill, and sad that it's such a zero-sum game when it comes to attracting players.

• Upvote 3

RedKestrel
4 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

We removed the channel limit a couple of weeks ago, so if people want to enjoy 20+ randomz mouth breathing into the channel, they can 😉

People should be asking about the overall player trend, not the trend on one server. If this is a growing multiplayer community, why does one of the most popular servers become much less populated when one single server (TAW) is running its campaign? My theory is it's because the active MP community is ~150 people on a week night and ~300 on weekends.

Finnish is a great server, interesting stuff, dynamic campaigns, friendly admin team. It's hard for me to wish them ill, and sad that it's such a zero-sum game when it comes to attracting players.

IMO the players numbers seem to have mostly stabilized after final release of Bodenplatte, when there seems to have been a surge. Some people drop off, a few new people sign on. It's not always the same people every weeknight but for concurrent numbers in NA time, I think that's about right.

Honestly part of it I think is the nature of the game. it's a niche genre with higher barriers to entry in terms of hardware, and a high skill ceiling, so the difference between the aces and the noobs can be BIG, which is discouraging for new folks even if everyone is nice about it. And, for myself at least, it's not a game you can just play when you're feeling lazy or burnt out from work. You have to have energy to throw into it, which a lot of people probably don't have these days. Weeknights especially its hard sometimes to summon the energy.

I don't have any problem with the guys over at Finnish. My connection isn't great at the best of times which I suspect contributes to the invisibility bug, so I never really get much chance to try the server out.

Methods used by traitors and enemy players to increase their kill score

I have been killed 5 times so far this month and guess by whome ? no its not by the enemy fair and square but by traitors , turncoats  and cunning enemy players . What happened ? Well in the case off the traitors what they do is they stick to your side for weeks on end then in one go they will switch sides knowing that you are playing that mission , they do so because they already know where most probably you will be heading  and bingo your dead . Check who killed you and to your surprise its someone you thought always played your side so you did'nt bother to check him out on stats when taking off . This has happened to me 3 times already this month . The remaining 2 kills were by enemy pilots using tricks such as in my case changing names continuously even up to 5 times so far ,  so that when they join your mission it is always after you have started your engines so your alarm bells wont ring since the name is unknown to you . Just thought of sharing my experiences .     

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

41Sqn_Riksen
42 minutes ago, adler_1 said:

I have been killed 5 times so far this month and guess by whome ? no its not by the enemy fair and square but by traitors , turncoats  and cunning enemy players . What happened ? Well in the case off the traitors what they do is they stick to your side for weeks on end then in one go they will switch sides knowing that you are playing that mission , they do so because they already know where most probably you will be heading  and bingo your dead . Check who killed you and to your surprise its someone you thought always played your side so you did'nt bother to check him out on stats when taking off . This has happened to me 3 times already this month . The remaining 2 kills were by enemy pilots using tricks such as in my case changing names continuously even up to 5 times so far ,  so that when they join your mission it is always after you have started your engines so your alarm bells wont ring since the name is unknown to you . Just thought of sharing my experiences .     

You're watching too many James Bond movies sir hhahahahahahahah

• Haha 2

ST_Catchov
On 1/21/2021 at 5:15 AM, =EXPEND=Capt_Yorkshire said:

Common dudes  lets fill this server up.:good::pilot:

Common dudes! Yuk. They smell and drop their aitches. We want classy dudes mister. Officers only. None of your NCO types. God forbid!

ROCKET_KNUT
1 hour ago, adler_1 said:

Methods ... to increase their kill score...

The fact, that all targets and airbases are shown on the map clearly has got nothing to do with it... 

• Haha 2

RedKestrel
On 1/23/2021 at 4:04 AM, adler_1 said:

Are you for real? Like, you check people out on stats while you're flying in the sim to make sure they're not spies for the other team? And you think there's some deep cover op to track your movements for weeks so they can kill you three times in a whole month? 

Maybe you should vary your routine a little bit, instead of always striking the same target from the same direction. 

When you fly the same route and the same target every time on a map, it's easy to figure out what targets people strike just from watching the kill notification feed. Or looking at their stats. It's not rocket science.

Then they still have to shoot you down when you get there. Changing their names doesn't magically make them better pilots.

Stop worrying so much about your stats and enjoy the game.

On 1/23/2021 at 5:26 AM, ROCKET_KNUT said:

The fact, that all targets and airbases are shown on the map clearly has got nothing to do with it... 

I get shot down like every flight because when you attack ground targets, the traitorous dogs on the other side try and shoot you down. The nerve! The audacity! My precious stats will never recover!

• Upvote 2

ROCKET_KNUT
4 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Stop worrying so much about your stats and enjoy the game.

Exactly! Relax, try out something new. Yesterday I´ve had a go at SEBR. Single engine bomb run that is... 🤣

22.thumb.jpg.bedff73187d78dc4ab5a454531233b68.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RedKestrel
7 minutes ago, ROCKET_KNUT said:

Exactly! Relax, try out something new. Yesterday I´ve had a go at SEBR. Single engine bomb run that is... 🤣

22.thumb.jpg.bedff73187d78dc4ab5a454531233b68.jpg

Easily the most Canadian A-20 I've ever seen!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

ROCKET_KNUT
30 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Thank you man, glad you like it. Still in the paintshop though, working on it right now. Available for d/l soon ish. 🍻

On 1/23/2021 at 4:04 AM, adler_1 said:

my goodness, this is rich. you are the guy that only attacks boats which yield 200-300 points per kill, far more than any other objective. and you're talking about people increasing their score? you might sit at the top of the leaderboard month after month, but you sure don't belong there.

• Upvote 6

8 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

Lol, I didn't pick up on the cheeky Canadian reference on the bomb bay door...sorry about that!  ;)

• Haha 2

RedKestrel
12 hours ago, JimTM said:

Lol, I didn't pick up on the cheeky Canadian reference on the bomb bay door...sorry about that!  ;)

I think you mean "aboot" that.

• Haha 1

The Great Red Conspiracy

As you can see in stats the blues always destroy more targets than the reds and yet the mission victory is given to the reds . that is because the reds have destroyed more mission targets . Upon careful examination we find that the reason why the reds have destroyed more targets is because there are less objects within the target to destroy . Further since the blues have to spend more time destroying objects within the target this increases the risk of being hunted down . The reds also have the advantage in some cases of using 150 octane which increases their intercept capabilities forcing the blue to wrap up and break or risk being shot down . Continuous negative results are leading the blue players to lose confidence and depression with all its negative effects post gaming .Please take into consideration in many scenarios we always play at an disadvantage due to inferior equipment  . Therefore we kindly request the management to review the missions enabling them to be more balanced . tks

• Sad 1

41Sqn_Riksen
18 minutes ago, adler_1 said:

... Some whining about ground targets mixed with poor use of "." ...

Please take into consideration in many scenarios we always play at an disadvantage due to inferior equipment  .

If you think the LW has inferior equipment than the problem is clearly you. Maybe they should replace you as one of their pilots?

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 3

If people were to play both red and blue instead of sticking to one side there would be less complaints me thinks.

• Upvote 7

LR.CrimsonLion
2 minutes ago, Birdman said:

If people were to play both red and blue instead of sticking to one side there would be less complaints me thinks.

Na... nothing stops the complaints.  The freedom to fly alone or with a squad creates completely different experiences and offering your input here to help improve your own experience will inherently get the wrath of someone else.  If you have thick skin and can handle some negative feedback post away, I say.  The multitude of experiences this sim provides is the main reason I can't put it down.  I'm getting shot to pieces in a fighter...go bomb something.. getting shot to pieces bombing.. change up tactics or get on the radio and plead for help.  If none of that works... change sides! :) 

RedKestrel
1 minute ago, adler_1 said:

The Great Red Conspiracy

As you can see in stats the blues always destroy more targets than the reds and yet the mission victory is given to the reds . that is because the reds have destroyed more mission targets . Upon careful examination we find that the reason why the reds have destroyed more targets is because there are less objects within the target to destroy . Further since the blues have to spend more time destroying objects within the target this increases the risk of being hunted down . The reds also have the advantage in some cases of using 150 octane which increases their intercept capabilities forcing the blue to wrap up and break or risk being shot down . Continuous negative results are leading the blue players to lose confidence and depression with all its negative effects post gaming .Please take into consideration in many scenarios we always play at an disadvantage due to inferior equipment  . Therefore we kindly request the management to review the missions enabling them to be more balanced . tks

Me-262, Bf109K-4, and FW190D-9 are not inferior equipment by any stretch of the imagination. The luftwaffe fighters and attackers match very well with their contemporaries. Only the Tempest is clearly superior, and those are available in lower numbers. And when the 262s start flying around, if the pilots are halway competent they are untouchable.

The 110 is one of the most effective ground attack aircraft in the sim. It can maneuver like a fighter and has a tail gunner. 

Sometimes blowing up more ground targets doesn't win you the map, especially if they are things like tents or nets, or are spready among a bunch of targets rather than focused on rolling a few objectives.

What are you complaining about? You're at the top of the standings, do you just need to win at all times to be happy? 

3 minutes ago, CrimsonLion said:

Na... nothing stops the complaints. 

Lol true

5 minutes ago, CrimsonLion said:

If none of that works... change sides!

Yes but please change sides with malignant and conspiratorial intent because that's a thing now apparently 😅

• Haha 1

ROCKET_KNUT
37 minutes ago, adler_1 said:

The Great Red Conspiracy

... victory is given to the reds ... there are less objects within the target to destroy ... this increases the risk of being hunted down ...are leading the blue players to lose confidence and depression with all its negative effects...

What have you been smoking? Jump into my gunners seat for once and you´ll see how easy it is flying red. A walk in the park obviously.

On some maps I don´t even have to take off and destroy the targets just by looking angry at them on the map.

• Haha 1

VBF-12_KW
1 hour ago, adler_1 said:

The Great Red Conspiracy

Seriously, spend a month flying Red.  See how it goes.

There really are two independent schools  of thought revolving around 'balance' and I can see them both. As an activity to be enjoyed as we all like to do, combat flying online does need to be balanced in every way possible. As a recreation of a moment in history, the concept of balance is a nonsense. The complexity of running a multiplayer server like CB is phenomenal and the team here do an amazing job to be sure. The reality seems to be that both sides feel the pressure of circumstance is against them and that life is unfair and perhaps that is a complement to the developers as in reality both sides felt under the 'cosh for much of the time. It's how we deal with that feeling that matters.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2