Sign in to follow this  
Jorge_S

P-40 propeller pitch

I am new on the P-40 and I have a question on this aircraft

P-40 has an automatic propeller pitch, but the RPM remains under the pilot's control (so this is not fully automatic like in the 109).. I had some confusion about this and I was lucky it didn't end in engine failure

my question: is there any scenario where it would be advisable to switch to manual propeller pitch?

thanks

9 minutes ago, Jorge_S said:

my question: is there any scenario where it would be advisable to switch to manual propeller pitch?

No. Leave it in automatic mode. Manual was only for if the automatic governor failed, which isn't modeled.

14 minutes ago, Jorge_S said:

Only when you are over the supercharger critical altitude (somewhere over 3000m). You can over-rev the engine safely to 3125rpm and gain a bit more boost that way.

Other use is to extend gliding distance by setting the pitch to 100% when engine stopped.

Edited by Ehret

On 4/2/2019 at 8:31 AM, Jorge_S said:

I am new on the P-40 and I have a question on this aircraft

P-40 has an automatic propeller pitch, but the RPM remains under the pilot's control (so this is not fully automatic like in the 109).. I had some confusion about this and I was lucky it didn't end in engine failure

thanks

Yes the Americans confused things a little using the term "Auto". It really means Constant Speed, Manual means direct setting of pitch angle .... and in the case of the P40 its done electrically rather than using oil to do it hydraulically .

How is that not automatic in every way? You set your desired RPM and it automatically sets the pitch for you to achieve that RPM.

Edited by TheKillerSloth

It is as automatic as all other Soviet/ British planes in BOX;  give or take, U-2 obviously not

But It uses the same key that turns pitch automation on/ off, so for someone that is used to German fighters and used not to American planes(and doesn't like to read plane specifications ;) ) this can be confusing a

On 4/4/2019 at 9:18 AM, TheKillerSloth said:

How is that not automatic in every way? You set your desired RPM and it automatically sets the pitch for you to achieve that RPM.

Because YOU set the desired RPM which the Constant Speed unit then maintains. In the German AUTO system Throttle position (DB6..series) then selects an RPM to be maintained, in the BMW801 the KG computes the rpm and sets and then maintains it. In the German AUTO systems if you vary the Boost the RPM will change to an optimised RPM. In the allied system if you change the boost the RPM doesn't change .... it stays where you MANUALLY put it.

Edited by Bert_Foster