MarcoPegase44

Black cross & red star vol.4

It has arrived!

I don’t have much time to read at the moment, but winter is coming so that should give me plenty of time 😁

D0F076DD-ECFB-4BBB-863A-DA198C2DB79D.jpeg

NICE!  I got the e-mail announcing that they were back from the printers and would be shipping soon, but I haven't gotten mine yet.  Probably won't start it right away (still trying to finish up volumes 1-3) but it will be nice to have it in hand anyway.

1 hour ago, sevenless said:

Looks promissing. Any reviews available yet?

I don’t think there are any yet.

The email that the book was ready came 2-3 days ago.

• Like 1

What about ebook versions for all 4 of them?

• Upvote 1

Got mine yesterday. Since weather forecast says rain all the way for this weekend I guess I'll sit down for some reading this Sunday. 

2 hours ago, adonys said:

What about ebook versions for all 4 of them?

Tough one this.

He's one man with a very limited budget, so the production costs of a e-book may be too high when set against the likely number of sales.  Not only that but you'd want a colour display for the aircraft profiles, though the photos are all black and white.

Speaking personally, for the vast majority of my reading I use a Kindle e-reader (which cannot display photos).  For something like this I much prefer a book in my hand.

von Tom

Jut got my copy today!!

I have to say... This is a remarkably well made book. Beautiful! And the perfect companion for BoK. If there was a kickstarter for a new editions of Vol 1, 2, 3, I'd back that immediately.

Outstanding work!

Edited by ZachariasX
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, von_Tom said:

Tough one this.

He's one man with a very limited budget, so the production costs of a e-book may be too high when set against the likely number of sales.  Not only that but you'd want a colour display for the aircraft profiles, though the photos are all black and white.

Speaking personally, for the vast majority of my reading I use a Kindle e-reader (which cannot display photos).  For something like this I much prefer a book in my hand.

von Tom

Actually, not at all. The book master used for printing can be extremely easy converted into a pdf ebook. I won't buy the actual books, can't afford the storage spare for the hundreds of books I want to read, but only ebook versions once and when they will be available.

Totally agree with what you wrote, Zach. I only managed to browse through my copy, and immediately found pictures, stories, facts, numbers I didn't know before. Very interesting, and lots of new stuff for me. I got hooked immediately. And, as you say, it covers time periods relevant to our game chapters, both BoS and BoK.

It's awesome. I'll definitely back his future projects. Thank you Christer!

Edited by JtD
  • Upvote 2

Thank you very much for your kind words! This book is a labor of love indeed, and it was written with you guys at IL-2 in mind. I think that you will find several "scenes"/descriptions in the book that reveal an adaptation to users of the IL-2 game.

For a personally signed copy of the hardcover edition of Volume 4 with aircraft color profiles etc:
 Please transfer US $ 60 to my Paypal account vaktelforlag@gmail.com

and send your address to me at vaktelforlag@gmail.com

Plus postage:
25 USD outside of Sweden

(In Sweden 105 SEK)

Anyone who would like to support Volume 5 through crowdfunding (USD$100 or more), please e-mail me at the same address: vaktelforlag@gmail.com

All crowdfunders will receive a personally signed and specially numbered hardcover copy with aircraft color profiles etc.

Note: 

The hardcover edition of Vol. 4 contains color profiles. ISBN 978-91-88441-21-8.

(There is a paperback edition which is entirely b&w, except for the cover. ISBN 978-91-88441-50-8. That can be bought in bookstores only in the United States. The reason is that I have no U.S. distributor, so that one is a print on demand edition. But personally signed copies of the hardcover edition with aircraft color profiles etc. can be ordered from me from anywhere in the world.)

For book retailers: E-mail vaktelforlag@gmail.com

And please help by spreading the word about the book. I am publishing this myself, and I saved no money on quality, so it is a quite expensive product. But I have no budget for marketing, so...

If a radio station in the United States could talk about it (perhaps make a phone interview with me) it would be fantastic. Also, any recommendation for magazines that might write reviews would be fantastic.
vaktelforlag@gmail.com

Reviews on amazon.com and amazon UK will of course be more than welcome!

Thank you all, guys! You are terriffic!

ZachariasX, what is Kickstarter? Please forgive me, but I am 61 and not so familiar with such things.

34 minutes ago, ChrisBergstrom said:

ZachariasX, what is Kickstarter? Please forgive me, but I am 61 and not so familiar with such things.

Just like you did for volume 4, asking for payments to fund the book, but via https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/publishing .

A question - how many would buy an ebook copy, and in what format?  PDFs are tricky because it is impossible to prevent them being copied and shared out.

von Tom

Actually, Kickstarter is very effective. I've participated myself in more than 20 campaigns on it by now (Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Dark Souls The Board Game, U-Boat both game and boardgame, DCS WWII, Elite: Dangerous, Hannibal and Hamilcar, Successors, AI War 2, System Shock, Pillars of Eternity, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2, Pathologic and so on).

@ChrisBergstrom is there any intention to have them all also published as e-books rather than printed books, please?

Edited by adonys

6 hours ago, ChrisBergstrom said:

Is Kickstarter more effective?

As @adonys said, it is (or: can be) an effective tool to get your projects known to customers. But using these fora should also do well, especially since you can keep all the money. I wrote it at a time where I didn‘t yet look through the appendix and didn‘t see that you already opened the possibility to support your coming works. I will contact you by email then about that.

I contributed in the publishing of several books and telling from that experience, your work here is truly impressive. Not only content, but also your choice in print, paper and binding quality. Publishers often enough don’t make this quality anymore. It would be a almost a shame having it as ebook. I also think having the endnotes in a separate volume is a good idea. From the sheer numbers it must have added significant weight not only on the hand, but also on the binding of the book. There‘s a lot of choices that are unusual for common editions, except art books. For manuscripts, I‘ve never seen such. It is really a special book. I took it from the envelope, looked through it (took me 5 minutes to find the type that didn‘t print properly, as there is *always one*... old habits just don‘t die) and next time I checked the clock I saw that I was reading for over an hour and running late. This while reading about something that I‘ve thought to be familiar with.

I didn‘t buy the original first three volumes, as by the time they were known to me, they were out of print and only available for idiotic prices. But having them as a new edition, especially in that quality, would be awesome.

• Upvote 1

S!

My copy arrived as well. A really good read packed with information. I have a couple of other books from Christer as well: Ace Pair Graf / Grislawski and Operation Barbarossa. Same solid quality as BC/RS Vol. 4. Volume 5 is a must to have. Spread the word :)