MarcoPegase44

Black cross & red star vol.4

Thanks for the heads up.

• Upvote 1

The U.S. edition of Vol. 4 is paperback and entirely b&w (except for the cover). ISBN 978-91-88441-50-8.

WTH?

Posted (edited)

Hello,

The British edition of Vol. 4 is hard cover and contains colour profiles. ISBN 978-91-88441-21-8.

release may

Edited by MarcoPegase44

I'll be going for the deluxe British edition of course... if you send a picture of your British passport there is a 50% discount as well!

Christer Bergstrom's been asking for crowd funding for BCRS vol 4 and the reprints of 1 to 3 for a couple of years now. Is there any evidence that he finally achieved it? The English website doesn't seem to be any different from a long while back. :unsure:.

I have had couple personal email us from him within last few months, and it might be slightly delayed but overall it is on the right track. Most recent email was asking for addresses for aviation bookstores and hobby shops

• Thanks 1

Confirmed. There have been pre-views of the new volume recently. Looks like something is going on ... "14 days" :P

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Retnek said:

Confirmed. There have been pre-views of the new volume recently. Looks like something is going on ... "14 days" :P

Good news. Will be looking forward to seeing it released.

The past week Christer send me an email and the release date is about 1st of May

I've got the other 3 books in the series... Vol 4 would be a day one buy for me  :)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

I've got the other 3 books in the series... Vol 4 would be a day one buy for me  :)

I managed to borrow vol.1 from the library a few years ago. There must only be one copy in the whole British library system as I live near Bath and it came down from Macclesfield!

Posted (edited)

Cost you about £250 for vol 1 now... That's a new copy.

Second hand, about £150 for a decent one

Edited by Trooper117

I've got all three the year they each came out.  Vol. 1 cost me $29.95.

Yeah, I think I paid something like that for vol 1 also (new). I only have 1 & 2 but also have "Stalingrad: the air battle" which I think covers much of what was in BCRS 3.

Posted (edited)

I own the 3 volumes and the book Stalingrad Air Battle, The N ° 3 of BCRS is the best of all, it's my favorite

Edited by MarcoPegase44

22 hours ago, 216th_Cat said:

I managed to borrow vol.1 from the library a few years ago. There must only be one copy in the whole British library system as I live near Bath and it came down from Macclesfield!

I will have to wait for the re-issue of vol.1 before I can afford to buy a copy. Other than that I have vols. 2 & 3, Barbarossa, Stalingrad, Kursk and Bagration to Berlin. All well worth it.

Yep, I have those books from his other series... Barbarossa, Stalingrad, Kursk and Bagration to Berlin. 

Looking at the cost in pounds sterling the uk pricing is going to be about £68... phew!

I've had a sneak peak at a few of the chapters - lots of detail and if you take your time you'll be able to reference it to the maps that will be with it.  It really brings it home how tough it all was for everyone.

Very cool indeed.

von Tom

Posted (edited)

I can confirm that Black Cross/Red Star, Volume 4 soon will be completed.

Owing to some delays in getting material from Russian archives, the release date will be June 2019. But that is 100 % certain.

I am still looking for crowd funding, because the production cost for such a large and fat book with hundreds of photos, color profiles and lots of detailed maps by a professional map drawer is quite high. If you would like to participate, please e-mail me at vaktelforlag@gmail.com.

If you would like to pre-order the new (and very, very much updated) edition of Volume 1, please also contact me at vaktelforlag@gmail.com

I attach a text excerpt (in word) from the not yet proofread manuscript.

Please help by spreading the word, since I am publishing this volume (and the future ones) by myself, in order to control what is published.

ch6 1.jpg

Ch 6 2.jpg

Here's how the excerpt above continues. You may spread these excerpts as an example of the content of Black Cross/Red Star, Vol. 4.

For those of you who are happy with the previous volumes - you ain't seen nothing yet. ;) For Volume 4, and the subsequent volumes, I have accumulated much, much more primary source material from both sides.

ch 6 3.jpg

Edited by ChrisBergstrom
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 8

I've managed to sneak a look at the later chapters.  In all it perfectly fits the Kuban map that we have and it is very odd seeing in text the very airfields that we fly over in IL2.

I found myself thinking "Gelendzhik, I've been there" then realising (duh) no I haven't except virtually.

von Tom

Good news. 🙂

Is there a way to get the british version from the US on release?

Obviously  i want the colored pictures if that version already exists. 

Posted (edited)

Has anyone heard anymore on the British version release? Im keen to get my hands on a copy.

Has anyone paid through paypal and emailed Chris Bergstrom as suggested on the Publishers website 

For a personally signed copy of the British hard cover edition:
Transfer US $ 60 to Christer’s Paypal account vaktelforlag@gmail.com
and send your address to Christer at vaktelforlag@gmail.com
Plus postage:
25 USD or 23 EUR outside of Sweden
Sweden 105 SEK

For book retailers: E-mail vaktelforlag@gmail.com

Edited by JohnHolmes

11 hours ago, JohnHolmes said:

Has anyone heard anymore on the British version release? Im keen to get my hands on a copy.

Has anyone paid through paypal and emailed Chris Bergstrom as suggested on the Publishers website 

For a personally signed copy of the British hard cover edition:
Transfer US $ 60 to Christer’s Paypal account vaktelforlag@gmail.com
and send your address to Christer at vaktelforlag@gmail.com
Plus postage:
25 USD or 23 EUR outside of Sweden
Sweden 105 SEK

For book retailers: E-mail vaktelforlag@gmail.com

At that price - no. But I really do hope that publication is near; it's been pushed back so many times :unsure:. I'll be looking to get a copy at 'normal' cost and than I might be able to afford the 'new' vol. 1 as well. Cheers.

• Upvote 1

For your information - mail received from Christer on 5/7/2019

"Hello dear supporters,

I made it! On Sunday I am leaving for Singapore, and now everything has been sent to the graphic designer, who in a week has finished everything but Chapter 2 and 18, which she will do on Monday. So the book will be published in August 2019, definitely now.  

There will be a new cover for Black Cross/Red Star, Vol. 4, with fantastic artwork by Jerry Boucher (who has the copyright of the artwork). Attached is my own sketch. The finished cover will be made by a professional. 

Please spread the word. ☺

All the best

Christer Bergström"

2 hours ago, Pajeka said:

For your information - mail received from Christer on 5/7/2019

"Hello dear supporters,

I made it! On Sunday I am leaving for Singapore, and now everything has been sent to the graphic designer, who in a week has finished everything but Chapter 2 and 18, which she will do on Monday. So the book will be published in August 2019, definitely now.  

There will be a new cover for Black Cross/Red Star, Vol. 4, with fantastic artwork by Jerry Boucher (who has the copyright of the artwork). Attached is my own sketch. The finished cover will be made by a professional. 

Please spread the word. ☺

All the best

Christer Bergström"

Two days left.

Posted (edited)

Interesting testimony in above previews:

"Vitaliy Rybalko, who flew Yak-7B as Leytenant with 122 IAD (assigned to 1 VA's 233 ShAD) by this time, told the author:

"It's wasn't easy to cover Sturmoviks. They flew low, at about 400 meters, and we fighters had to stay fifteen hundred meters above them. 

They were painted with such good camouflage that you could barely see them against the ground.
This was particularly the case in winter, when the all-white Sturmoviks completely faded against the snow bellow. Then add the frequent haze to that!
It was very easy to lose sight of the Sturmoviks, and if you did it was hard to find then again.""

Edited by Sokol1
  • Like 1

Hi Guys, further update, message received this morning from Christer.

Hope this is OK to post, if not, Moderator please remove.

"Hi my dear friends and supporters!

Please make sure to read this e-mail in its entirety.

Good news about Black Cross/Red Star, Volume 4.
https://vaktelforlag.se/produkt/black-cross-red-star-air-war-eastern-front-volume-4-stalingrad-kuban-1942-1943/    

The book has been sent to the printer! The hardcover edition with aircraft color profiles etc will arrive here on September 25, according to the printer.

Then I will post all the pre-ordered books immediately, without any delay!

Yes, everyone who has ordered a signed copy from me at vaktelforlag@gmail.com will receive a hardcover copy with aircraft color profiles etc.

I am publishing this entirely by myself, and have no economic means for marketing etc. Also, I have not been able to get a book distributor in the United States. That is the reason why in the United States there is only a soft-cover edition without any aircraft color profiles available via Ingram Spark. But io course, people living in the United States who order the book from me, will receive the hardcover edition with aircraft color profiles etc.

All help to spread the word about the book on the Internet, etc, and to ask book stores and museums etc to purchase the book will be received with the greatest gratitude. This book series is, in fact, living from hand to mouth, and each subsequent volume is totally dependant on the success of the previous volume, and its crowdfunding.

Anyone who can find a new crowdfunder (who has not crowdfunded Vol. 4), willing to order a copy of Volume 5 at the crowdfunder price of USD$ 100, gets a 10 % discount off my price of USD$ 60 from me on that volume. Please ask any new crowdfunder (or anyone who wishes to order a signed hardcopy Volume 5 at my regular price of USD$ 60) to e-mail me at vaktelforlag@gmail.com

I will e-mail all of you when the book is here.

Anyone of you who has not ordered a personally signed copy of Volume 4, is welcome to do so at vaktelforlag@gmail.com

The price is USD$ 60 - or USD$ 100 in crowdfunding - plus USD$ 25 in shipping.

Please continue reading.

I would be most grateful if you could also spread the word about these two books by me - also published entirely by myself:

Arnhem 1944 – An Epic Battle Revisited, two volumes:
https://vaktelforlag.se/produkt/arnhem-1944-epic-battle-revisited-vol-1-tanks-paratroopers/

– Andy Nunez, editor of Against the Odds Magazine, wrote this review:
"Volume One of Arnhem 1944 is a solid hit. Christer Bergström gets high marks for original research,  comprehensive orders of battle, and interactive QR codes that immerse the reader into the heat of battle. This puts a whole new face on Market-Garden.”

LUFTWAFFE PILOTS IN WORLD WAR II: The Veterans’ Stories Volume 1
https://vaktelforlag.se/produkt/luftwaffe-pilots-world-war-ii-veterans-stories-volume-1/

You are of course welcome to order personally signed hard-cover copies of those books too from me, at vaktelforlag@gmail.com

The price for both volumes of Arnhem plus Luftwaffe Pilots Vol. 1 is altogether USD$96 plus USD$ 25 in postage."
  • Thanks 2

For those who aren't pre-ordering from Christer, Amazon UK have this shipping date:

Christer Bergstrom "Black Cross Red Star -- Air War Over the Eastern Front: Volume 4: Stalingrad to Kuban 1942-1943" Estimated arrival date: October 16 2019 - November 19 2019

Hi guys,

received this morning.....hopefully the final update!

“Dear friends and supporters!

This is the mail that perhaps one or two of you has been waiting for:

Black Cross/Red Star, Volume 4 arrived here from the printer today! 

And it looks absolutely great! The printing company has made a great work!

I have been signing books all day long and I have posted the first batch of books today. I will continue to post books tomorrow, and I hope I will have finished before the post office closes tomorrow.

I attach a couple of photos. One is me signing (perhaps your book). One is me holding the book. No, it isn't that huge - it just looks that way in the photo. But it is big. I also attach a photo where Volume 4 is compared to Volume 4.

Now I am really keen to hear what you think of the book once you've received it and started reading.

And please, please spread the word everywhere! I really need all the help I can get, because I am publishing this book by myself, and I really donät have any marketing budget.”

All the best,

Christer Bergström

8FE47F3B-EF84-4255-A76D-C4D0E4C72AFF.jpeg

0A9BF61D-3396-40FE-B796-AE52D4DFCFF8.jpeg

Further pictures.....

E135EA5F-82B4-4EDA-A63D-65410BA889F6.jpeg

6A0A4F33-1C3F-4468-98C2-A24DC6CC73DC.jpeg

Edited by Pajeka
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Me too, this will be an interesting read for the cold dark days ahead. (Winter, I mean, and yes, here we have light and heating.)

Ordered mine from Amazon (sorry Christer - I am too lazy, but I do have most of your books!)

51 minutes ago, JtD said:

(Winter, I mean, and yes, here we have light and heating.)

SHAME!

Spoiler

GRETA.thumb.jpg.42eb65de4115df77261b79a42b9382d9.jpg

• Haha 3

S!

Book is on it´s way. Gonna go for the Vol. 5 as well. And after that the revised volumes 1-3. Good times!