Jump to content
SeaW0lf

Severe lag / stutter (?) with Windows 10 in multiplayer.

Recommended Posts

If you get stutters in multiplayer again, could you try a cold reboot and launching only IL-2? (+ the apps you directly use for the game, TrackIR, Steam, TeamsSpeak etc.)

 

Specifically, don't start your web browser or anything similar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I set the Ultra thing and went over some settings on this thread and its links. I went to Berloga (17 players) and did not see the stutters. I think I searched a couple of Nvidia settings as well. I'm currently flying with full screen. But the TrackIR settings did not make any difference, so I went back to my usual.

 

It still looks bad (crap) to me, because with Windows 7 and my old i7-3770K it was really butter smooth in general, but the heavy stutter / lag seems to be gone. I can only confirm this afternoon at the Flying Circus event, when I'll get in close furballs with several players.

 

I'll keep you guys updated. Can't test many options / variations because I'm a bit slammed today, but I'll try to test with graphics back to High to see if the stutters come back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I got it solved. Played the Sunday event and got no stutters. But it is not the Ultra settings. I'm not having stutters with settings in High as well. Might be something from the settings I got from that thread. Perhaps vsync on Nvidia side and full screen? But I have tried that before. 

 

Let's see if it stays that way. It was no fun to fly the way I was flying.

Edited by SeaW0lf
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi Guys,

 

for those who are interested. My System: Win 10 Home, i7 8700K, GTX 1080, 16GB Ram, ASUS PG348Q UWQHD, 100hz.

 

Trackir5, Sidewinder FFB2, Saitek Pedals.

 

I have tested many days. Now I have a solution for me.

 

Monitor, set to 60hz, in the game Vsync on, Nvidia system all standard. Gsync active.

 

It works very well, no stuttering! Technically a step backwards but it works.

 

P.S. FFB is active!

 

 

2019_5_1__11_8_28b.jpg

Nvidia.png

Nvidia2.png

startup.jpg

Edited by ema33ig
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No matter the rig many ppl experience stutters when flying near other players in dogfight. Specially if servers is crowded. Something is definitely wrong with netcode. It happens randomly and maybe not on all maps.No matter the rig many ppl experience stutters when flying near other players in dogfight. Specially if servers is crowded. Something is definitely wrong with netcode. It happens randomly and maybe not on all maps.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2019 at 3:46 AM, =VARP=Tvrdi said:

No matter the rig many ppl experience stutters when flying near other players in dogfight. Specially if servers is crowded. Something is definitely wrong with netcode. It happens randomly and maybe not on all maps.No matter the rig many ppl experience stutters when flying near other players in dogfight. Specially if servers is crowded. Something is definitely wrong with netcode. It happens randomly and maybe not on all maps.

 

Although true, I still believe the lag has to be related to the smoke effects from the guns. If you go into F2 view and zoom into your plane while firing. You will see a drastic decrease in FPS as the smoke effects and casings fall from the plane. (at least I see drastic inconsistent 20 fps decreases doing this) Compound this issue with many other planes flying around and the shotty netcode then we have our stutter mostly isolated.

This issue solely occurs in MP when planes are nearby or in a dog fight. It's like the game cannot process all the detail of so many player controlled aircraft or something. It really acts like our ram is maxing out and cycling during this period. My best guess so far.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have the same problem here since the latest updates ? I dont know - i wasnt playing IL-2 for a while ...   - ingame iam with 130 FPS @ WQHD but when there are some other players around me it stutters like fucking crazy .... Iam sure it has something to do with TrackIR. The time i disable it and pan the view with my mouse it runs smooth like always.

 

 

P.S. i tested Vsync and Gsync and 60 fps cap and all the stuff without any effort

Edited by MarcAnton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MarcAnton said:

I have the same problem here since the latest updates ? I dont know - i wasnt playing IL-2 for a while ...   - ingame iam with 130 FPS @ WQHD but when there are some other players around me it stutters like fucking crazy .... Iam sure it has something to do with TrackIR. The time i disable it and pan the view with my mouse it runs smooth like always.

 

 

P.S. i tested Vsync and Gsync and 60 fps cap and all the stuff without any effort

 

To be sure: did you test disabling Vsync (and fps cap) in game along with enabling it in Nvidia Control Panel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

For Windows 7 Users like myself and some i fly with who are using
GTX1060 or better (6GB) - If you have a 4GB card you will get stutters on Ultra Regardless of OS or CPU)
AMD FX8350 or better (3.8-4.2ghz)
DDR3 Ram @ 1600-1900mhz
You should be pulling a stable 55-85FPS (unlocked - Fast Sync) on ULTRA Preset @ 2560X1440P in Multiplayer.

So one would assume that windows 10 with GTX1060 or better and probably an INTEL CPU should be pulling stable 60fps (if locked)
Or atleast 80-100fps unlocked - Fast Sync)

You would hope Win10 was faster but it seems not to be the case.

IMHO
if you are using VR then Windows 10 is required kinda and might be higher FPS (tho you can use VR on windows 7 just no ASW)
if you are playing in 2D than windows 7 will offer best FPS smoother gameplay without interruptions like Updates
(last needed windows 7 update was 2009 SP1, once you have that you can turn off ALL windows updates forever unless you use it for running a business also)

Edited by =TBAS=Sshadow14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Once and for all. It was super smooth before last 2 or 3 patches. I have a stable and high FPS. Its happen no matter the rig or the graphic settings. It doesnt occur all the time and is not on all servers in the same night. Some nights are better some worse.

It has to do with unoptimised game engine/unoptimised multplayer/netcode. BOS engine is very simmilar to ROF engine where we had teh same problems and even worse but it was somehow fixed to great extent.

Edited by =VARP=Tvrdi
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Very interesting read, i am struggling with the same issue. So many contradicting recommendations regarding vsync, i ended up testing everything with rivatuner and noticed that free vsync provides the least ammount of frametime in my case.

I downgraded from ultra to high since it seems that it affects the slutters when a lot of planes or objects are present. i leave a video comparing high with ultra, combined with freesync i am more stable than ever but it isnt perfect.. ill continue with the tests in the future.

 

 

 

Edited by Tes
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tes said:

Very interesting read, i am struggling with the same issue. So many contradicting recommendations regarding vsync, i ended up testing everything with rivatuner and noticed that free vsync provides the least ammount of frametime in my case.

I downgraded from ultra to high since it seems that it affects the slutters when a lot of planes or objects are present. i leave a video comparing high with ultra, combined with freesync i am more stable than ever but it isnt perfect.. ill continue with the tests in the future.

 

Interesting finds!

 

I fear that the problem is very deeply rooted in USB issues with TrackIR and legacy USB 1.1 devices such as the MSFFB2. The fact that it all still somehow works together in a new(ish) sim in 2019 is nothing short of amazing, though I do fear for the future.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If you guys have not read it yet, here is my performance guide. Should assist with your stutter/performance issues. 

Also the game is very dependant on graphic card processing and yet at the time it is not. I hope the devs incorporate more use of ram and cpu processing in the future. Currently my cpu barely uses 10-15% when running the game and it is the strongest part of my desktop.

 

Edited by Geronimo553

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2019 at 3:35 AM, =VARP=Tvrdi said:

Once and for all. It was super smooth before last 2 or 3 patches. I have a stable and high FPS. Its happen no matter the rig or the graphic settings. It doesnt occur all the time and is not on all servers in the same night. Some nights are better some worse.

It has to do with unoptimised game engine/unoptimised multplayer/netcode. BOS engine is very simmilar to ROF engine where we had teh same problems and even worse but it was somehow fixed to great extent.

Same issue, i just test the game after each patch to see if it improved by spawning on any server and sitting in the cockpit before even starting the plane.  Once I start looking around the view, the stutters happen.  It doesn't happen in single player at all, so its a net code thing it seems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still have stutters / lag when zooming though. But that I think it is due to bad netcode / dserver thing, which is still single threaded if I recall correctly. I even experienced zoom stutters going east and no zoom stutters going west in one mission at Flugpark server, so I suppose that there were more objects to the east. At Old Geezers there is a mission where everyone was experiencing lag and disconnections, but the mission was littered with objects (building blocks mimicking cities) and flak. And it would lag exactly over those areas or when I was looking towards them. Which is exactly what happens in ROF when the mission has too many objects. 

 

And yes, my CPU barely shows up when I play BOX. It is completely underused. MY GPU is also not fully used as well (IIRC), even if I set ultra settings and experience stutters.

 

I just hope that at some point they start addressing these issues instead of releasing 4K textures and such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It seams its better now but I cant confirm that 100% sure till I test it more than two nights.

What I did:

4k skins left ON.

Full screen left OFF (using native res of my monitor)

Vsync (also in game graphics settings) turned OFF

Vsync in Nvidia control panel turned ON.

 

And, very important, BEFORE every flying night, restart your PC if you opened any other app (more demanding, like Chrome, Photoshop etc). So start the IL2 on fresh windows start. Ofcourse you can load TS and any other software which goes with it.

Edited by =VARP=Tvrdi
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, SeaW0lf said:

I still have stutters / lag when zooming though. But that I think it is due to bad netcode / dserver thing, which is still single threaded if I recall correctly. I even experienced zoom stutters going east and no zoom stutters going west in one mission at Flugpark server, so I suppose that there were more objects to the east.

 

Actually zoom lag, is caused by objects such as trees/building rendering in on the ground by zooming in. I also believe the lod of objects is turned off with max zoom causing the textures to render in at max detail. Which compounds the processing required for everything to visually load in. Then smack in all the visual filters the game uses, shadows, reflections, and that is a lot of little details to load in rapidly. The biggest source of lag in the game is from inside the cockpit view as well. Almost always there will be a fps boost when exiting the cockpit view.

I have been playing around with the game's internal graphics code settings to see what exactly is causing this zoom lag and I can definitely confirm it is ground detail related. When zooming in new objects and effects detail will render in when otherwise such details would not be there by not zooming in. So higher the object/detail count the more data to load.  

Also all settings of low/balanced/high/ultra have a high detail texture filter applied to them. Still trying to understand what this texture filter does. But I believe it is related to the stutter lag as all settings have it set to max. 

Edited by Geronimo553
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

 

Actually zoom lag, is caused by objects such as trees/building rendering in on the ground by zooming in. I also believe the lod of objects is turned off with max zoom causing the textures to render in at max detail. Which compounds the processing required for everything to visually load in. Then smack in all the visual filters the game uses, shadows, reflections, and that is a lot of little details to load in rapidly. The biggest source of lag in the game is from inside the cockpit view as well. Almost always there will be a fps boost when exiting the cockpit view.

I have been playing around with the game's internal graphics code settings to see what exactly is causing this zoom lag and I can definitely confirm it is ground detail related. When zooming in new objects and effects detail will render in when otherwise such details would not be there by not zooming in. So higher the object/detail count the more data to load.  

Also all settings of low/balanced/high/ultra have a high detail texture filter applied to them. Still trying to understand what this texture filter does. But I believe it is related to the stutter lag as all settings have it set to max. 

 

It might be, but the lag in ROF is also caused by AIs, balloons, etc. If you look at areas with lots of balloons, AI planes and buildings, the lag increases. If you look at empty areas, the lag is gone. Since the BOX engine came from the ROF engine, it might relate to AIs and such as well. 

 

I was suspecting about the ground details, because one of the missions at Old Geezers is played at dusk (or dawn) and it lags tons close to the ground (other players complaining as well). I suspected it was the shadows, because there was no agglomeration of buildings around. 

 

I guess on this regard mission builders have to be very frugal, especially in furball servers. But the lighting was a surprise for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SeaW0lf said:

I was suspecting about the ground details, because one of the missions at Old Geezers is played at dusk (or dawn) and it lags tons close to the ground (other players complaining as well). I suspected it was the shadows, because there was no agglomeration of buildings around. 

 

I guess on this regard mission builders have to be very frugal, especially in furball servers. But the lighting was a surprise for me.

 

Set your game to balanced and landscape filter off. See if that solves your zoom lag. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This are my settings, the game runs stable offline or when the server is with not many players. 

 i have a strange slutter like OP in multiplayer when a lot of players are around, ill try to record it when the server is full.

On 6/4/2019 at 2:43 PM, 1.JaVA_KEBEN said:

Tes , what are your settings and specs ? 

 

I dont think that it is a graphic issue. Tried a lot of options and it runs relatively well in sp, Heavy populated MP is another story 

settings.thumb.jpg.fa258d30e8923d5f545084d2ffc8d3b9.jpg

Edited by Tes
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2019 at 9:03 AM, J5_Hellbender said:

 

Interesting finds!

 

I fear that the problem is very deeply rooted in USB issues with TrackIR and legacy USB 1.1 devices such as the MSFFB2. The fact that it all still somehow works together in a new(ish) sim in 2019 is nothing short of amazing, though I do fear for the future.

If that were true i wouldnt be able to run Elite Dangerous at 2560x1440 on ultra with exactly the same hardware including trackir at a rock steady 60fps smooth as glass and i start up il2 and get stutters everywhere.

 

I actually suspect this is the same game engine as the original il2, one of its hallmarks was that no matter what hardware you threw at it, it never ran smoothly.

Edited by fogpipe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fogpipe said:

If that were true i wouldnt be able to run Elite Dangerous at 2560x1440 on ultra with exactly the same hardware including trackir at a rock steady 60fps smooth as glass and i start up il2 and get stutters everywhere.

 

I actually suspect this is the same game engine as the original il2, one of its hallmarks was that no matter what hardware you threw at it, it never ran smoothly.

 

As far as I know, ED doesn't have force feedback, which is at least part of the issue for some people.

 

Even if you don't use a force feedback stick, the game engine runs on a highly modified version of the Rise of Flight (originally Knights of the Sky) Digital Nature engine, developed by neoqb, and so it still shares many of its original shortcomings, such as high single core dependence. Other than that, it is not closely related to the original IL-2 Sturmovik / FB+AEP+PF / 1946 engine.

 

This was not possible in the original IL-2, for example:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...