E69_julian57

Skin 4k Fw 190 D9

Posted (edited)

Here's an interesting one someone might be willing to try to skin ; labeled as flown by a Major Beim Stab ,possibly from II./JG4?

dora_edited-1.jpg

Edited by Blitzen

While waiting for Paganizonda to convert his beautiful War Thunder skin I thought I would crack on and do one meantime as I couldn't wait to fly this D9. As usual I used ICDP's superb template and then worked from there. I have created a new 4k Alpha base layer to build on and I hope you will check this out as I think it will yield nice skins.

1367343523_190D121v2.thumb.jpg.268ce6a086e53c2af8085955a3cb61ea.jpg

https://www.mediafire.com/file/d1zy7u4lnalmuin/Fw190D9_Public_blue_12_v14.dds/file

Edited by Flowbee_603
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 6

Love it and a masterpiece again

Thank you very mucho😀😉

• Thanks 1

Is this the official D9 skins thread? I do not see one pinned anywhere.

Here are some personal skins I am messing around with. Nothing historical.

Spoiler

2019_9_11__17_35_56.jpg

2019_9_11__17_36_4.jpg

2019_9_11__17_36_50.jpg

2019_9_11__17_37_8.jpg

2019_9_11__17_37_38.jpg

2019_9_11__17_37_47.jpg

Edited by Danziger
  • Like 4

The upper yellow 4 and blue twelve are amazing skins. But I think the weathering is a bit too much. They look as if they have been drawn out of the mud recently. Think about the actual age of the planes when they were deployed in combat. Weathering is a great skill, but do not let yourself be carried away by it. Less is more.

Overall the sharpness is too high. Rivets, scratches and patina sticks out too much.

I appreciate the skill and industry of depicting the material and texture of the surface. But these planes look like they are 75 years old.

Edited by [DBS]El_Marta
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, E69_julian57 said:

You're right
I put a lot of dirt on them :biggrin:

AND I LIKE IT!!!!

On 9/12/2019 at 10:20 PM, [DBS]El_Marta said:

The upper yellow 4 and blue twelve are amazing skins. But I think the weathering is a bit too much. They look as if they have been drawn out of the mud recently. Think about the actual age of the planes when they were deployed in combat. Weathering is a great skill, but do not let yourself be carried away by it. Less is more.

Overall the sharpness is too high. Rivets, scratches and patina sticks out too much.

I appreciate the skill and industry of depicting the material and texture of the surface. But these planes look like they are 75 years old.

I totally get what you are saying as my son has the same opinion. However he has little interest in WWII and thinks the planes should look like the cars he sees in the street or the waxed planes at an airshow. Shiny, bright and washed on a Sunday. That is just what he likes and he thinks that is what I should be doing.

I picked out some original b/w photos at random. The first was literally the first one I came across. If you zoom in and look closely the shiny rivets, metal edge, reflecting fuel spill and dirt streaks and build up can clearly be seen. I almost immediately found more showing mud splashes as high as the tail plane and luftwaffe crew washing layers of dirt off a fuselage. I can only speak for myself here but I am not going to be motivated to create a skin (some of which can take me up to 85 hours or more - three weeks in real life) that I believe to be unrepresentative.

Everyone has different tastes. When there is a sharing of appreciation that is great but unfortunately I will only do skins that look right to me as I want the pleasure of seeing them come to life in this superb sim. That is what motivates me to put in the hours of research and digital painting. Luckily for you there are plenty of toned down and clean skins already included as standard with the game for you to enjoy.

69114559_IMG_04172.thumb.jpg.ceb12b8735217279454fffc002f08ffd.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg.421ef504d2a2f44c75aa073ee23eafaa.jpg

As for,  "rivets, scratches and patina sticks out to much",  here again are a couple of  photographs that would suggest otherwise. Note how the light catches and reflects from the scratches and paint wear. Look at the rivets around the gun ports. Note how even though the sunlight is causing reflections of light from exposed metal there is very little if any shine coming from the matt paintwork.This isn't an opinion but a matter of fact backed up by photographic evidence from the aircraft of the period. Everything else comes down to personal preference.

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190-nose-view.thumb.jpg.ddfb278b5a4cb12555228666b702f8f4.jpgFocke-Wulf-Fw-190A-8----1-Skrydstrup.jpg.3b779de052e9236ab9e857ea6eddff4a.jpg

Edited by Flowbee_603
  • Upvote 4

I Am of that opinion, in fact I try the opposite.
  that look worn, with semi-gloss,
There are times when my hand goes out and they look like tanks.
:saludo:

Edited by E69_julian57
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, E69_julian57 said:

I Am of that opinion, in fact I try the opposite.
  that look worn, with semi-gloss,
There are times when my hand goes out and they look like tanks.
:saludo:

Well, as long as these tanks can fly, I am happy with them ! 😂

More seriously. Do you know that during the final year of the war, the life of an aircraft rarely lasted until the first engine overhaul ? 

So I think, as a modeller, that the secret of weathering lies in subtlety.

Who can do the most, can the least !:fly::coffee:

Well thanks to the developers and the countless hours spent on creating the superb and freely available templates we can all have what we like best with a minimum of effort. :yahoo::clapping:

The reason I started doing skins in the first place was because I didn't like how clean the original Il2 -  Sturmovik skins were. So maybe, if you haven't already done so, it is an idea to download Gimp or buy Photoshop and have a go at creating your own vision of what a WWII fighter looked like. It is a rewarding and creative pursuit. :gamer:

• Upvote 4

Out of curiosity I went back to the 190D9 Blue 12 to see what was up and the fact is that it is about as good as I can currently do. Then I thought maybe we aren't looking at the same thing. Monitor settings make a huge difference and I play exclusively in 3D. So I lowered the contrast 20 and upped the brightness 10 on the finished dds file and then cut the output at the lower end of the Alpha by 13 to increase the shine to a satin look. Now the plane looked more like what you guys seem to like. ( I'm guessing here as it could go way deeper. ) Here is what it looks like now - this took about 30 seconds to do.

1463633340_190dlocontrasthialpha.jpg.6b14d8b6abe0e592f38a1c5048b68e9e.jpg

https://www.mediafire.com/file/y6bwv2g08evk0xf/Fw190D9_Public_blue_12_v14_locon_hia.dds/file

Try it and let me know if this is closer to what you are looking for. I don't mind putting in a few extra minutes as long as I still have what I wanted in the first place.

• Like 3

I always wondered why some of the skins look so wet. I've seen some glossy paint on early Soviet planes and apparently the Germans were polishing planes for a while. However, almost every British, US, and late war German and Russian planes I see in photos are very matt. Like the P40, A20, and P39 US painted skins are way too glossy.

Also the whole name of the game was to not be seen. I think a nice shiny gloss finish glinting in the sunlight would be the opposite of desirable.

Edited by Danziger
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Danziger said:

Also the whole name of the game was to not be seen. I think a nice shiny gloss finish glinting in the sunlight would be the opposite of desirable.

Totally  agree, the early German helmets and planes were polished or used gloss paints and then everything went to matt paint in '42 to reduce reflection. The helmet paint also had sand added to further reduce reflection. I have one on my shelf.

I think the idea that planes were shiny comes from seeing them in Museums or Airshows were they are washed and polished for protection. I doubt that any aircraft would be shiny and clean for even a short time in a war zone. A few weeks on the road in a car is testament to that. Furthermore the prop wash has so much dust and dirt blowing back that it is blinding. This creates a sandblasting effect on paint. Mix in exhaust emissions with unburnt fuel and oil spray and leaks and the results do not point to a waxy shine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

IMHO. The first seems to me more natural. On a flat monitor with gamma 1.

Скрытый текст

Fw190D9_Public blue 12 v14.dds                 Fw190D9_Public blue 12 v14 locon hia.dds

Edited by FoxbatRU
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Good work!  I really like the colour scheme. :good:

Looking down below now... :rolleyes:

Edited by Flowbee_603

@Julian: Wonderfull job on yellow 1 of Dortenmann. Now we have all his D9 mounts in the game: red 1 with JG54, and black and yellow 1 with JG26.

:good:  really liking the skin.

You might consider making a version using RLM 63 Light Grey instead of light blue. Depending on whether you kept your template it should just take a few minutes.

rlm63.jpg.f39197676c488b91f7341a1d63d6c256.jpg   I know it looks too dark on screen... but different in game.

I read that the Germans ran short of light blue at the end of the war and started using light grey which kind of ties in with your Art Profile picture. I was curious so knocked up a version of your superb skin to have a look and liked the result. Anyway your choice.

I found I had to use 2 layers of color rml63, the bottom set to 100% Normal, the top layer set to 50% Opacity and Multiply. This gave a good color result in game not too glaringly white.

Just a thought - Love the skin.

Edited by Flowbee_603

Hello  Flowbee_603
I think the color rlm 63 is a color used for higher surfaces.
The color that replaced rlm 76 was a 76 with more gray and green according to the ICDP template.
When you compare colors from different sources, there are quite a few differences, I usually use those of the template by retouching them a bit.
Look at the difference of RLM 76b

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/stuff_eng_colorcharts_germany.htm

rlm.jpg

I'll make the change to see how it looks.

:salute:

There's a really great section on RLM colours in Volume 2 of the Gerry Crandell Dora books.  In it he makes a very credible claim that the duckegg RLM 76 (he calls it RLM84 Blaugrün) was not actually down to the LW using whatever they could get, but an actual mandated colour.  It was a shift from air superiority colours to ground concealement greens for obvious reasons.

Edited by ICDP
  • Thanks 1

That looks really good to me and very close to what I got maybe a shade different but I really like it. Thanks, I am going to try it out now. Awesome! :biggrin:

Ok, really pleased with the outcome and very close to what I had in mind although I used RLM 63 and you used RLM 76b. I use the RLM color chart that ICDP included but tend to pick by colour rather than number as the shades differ quite widely anyway and the ground crews did a lot of mixing . End result is amazingly close. Here is a side by side screensave to show what I mean. Great skin and Thank You!

Oh, and just in case anyone is wondering the left one was my rough knockup and the right Julian's v2.

compare.jpg.7b95080cd62534b0d0da467d12b30091.jpg

Edited by Flowbee_603

Hola III/JG52_Lothar29
Tengo que mirarlo, no recuerdo como lo hice
Es para una piel g-6.
Creo que quite ese cuadrado del canal alfa.

alfa.jpg

Aunque creo en la última plantilla se corrigió.
Lo miraré más tarde.:salute:

Hi lothar
I have to look at it, I don't remember how I did it
It is for a g-6 skin.
I think I removed that square from the alpha channel.
Although the last template was corrected.
I will look at it later

Edited by E69_julian57
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, E69_julian57 said:

Hola III/JG52_Lothar29
Tengo que mirarlo, no recuerdo como lo hice
Es para una piel g-6.
Creo que quite ese cuadrado del canal alfa.

alfa.jpg

Aunque creo en la última plantilla se corrigió.
Lo miraré más tarde.:salute:

Hi lothar
I have to look at it, I don't remember how I did it
It is for a g-6 skin.
I think I removed that square from the alpha channel.
Although the last template was corrected.
I will look at it later

the black square of the alpha channel, I've removed it and it doesn't work.

by the way, it's for the skin of the G6 effectively

el cuadrado negro lo he quitado yo del canal alpha y no ha funcionado.. no recuerdo como lo hacia antes.. :(

Por cierto, es para el skin del G6 efectivamente

Estás utilizando la última plantilla
Hice pieles del G6 y no me aparece ese error

You are using the last template
I made skins of the G6 and that error does not appear to me

On 9/13/2019 at 6:35 PM, Flowbee_603 said:

Out of curiosity I went back to the 190D9 Blue 12 to see what was up and the fact is that it is about as good as I can currently do. Then I thought maybe we aren't looking at the same thing. Monitor settings make a huge difference and I play exclusively in 3D. So I lowered the contrast 20 and upped the brightness 10 on the finished dds file and then cut the output at the lower end of the Alpha by 13 to increase the shine to a satin look. Now the plane looked more like what you guys seem to like. ( I'm guessing here as it could go way deeper. ) Here is what it looks like now - this took about 30 seconds to do.

1463633340_190dlocontrasthialpha.jpg.6b14d8b6abe0e592f38a1c5048b68e9e.jpg

https://www.mediafire.com/file/y6bwv2g08evk0xf/Fw190D9_Public_blue_12_v14_locon_hia.dds/file

Try it and let me know if this is closer to what you are looking for. I don't mind putting in a few extra minutes as long as I still have what I wanted in the first place.

unbedingt so weitermachen mich hat dieser Skinn so fasziniert wie kein anderer.Und ich habe Alle die hier zu haben sind.Meine Hochachtung für diese Arbeit.

• Thanks 1

Much appreciated, as I said I do not mind creating a lighter version with more shine as an alternative to the more Matt with normal contrast. I will make the same adjustments to the next skin I am working on. It might be useful though if you flag up which ones you want.  

Ich kann deutsch gut lesen und verstehen aber ich kann leider nicht so gut schreiben. Kanst du mein english verstehen?