Strange Fw 190

Legioneod

Legioneod

Was reading through some combat reports from Robert S Johnson and came across something odd. Johnson said he got into a fight with an long nose, inline engine Fw-190.

The thing that is strange is that was in January of 44 and to my knowledge no inline 190s were flying at this time.

Is this a case of mistaken identity or were inline 190s flying earlier than thought? How soon were Doras flying in combat?

Here is the combat report.

56-johnson-30jan44.jpg

Edited by Legioneod
Legioneod
28 minutes ago, MiloMorai said:

Sure they were flying, just not with operational units. Bremen is not to far away so could have been a prototype.

Interesting. I knew they were testing them at this time but didn't think they would have been in combat at all.

1 hour ago, Legioneod said:

Interesting. I knew they were testing them at this time but didn't think they would have been in combat at all.

At some point there was no German air-space beyond range of Allied fighters. Trainees were attacked as well.

Legioneod
15 minutes ago, Ehret said:

At some point there was no German air-space beyond range of Allied fighters. Trainees were attacked as well.

Didn't really think about that but makes sense. I tend to forget that Germans had nowhere to hide.

DD_Arthur

That report is dated 30th. January 1943.  

During the Battle of Britain several pilots reported combat with Heinkel H100's.......just sayin':)

• Like 2
Legioneod
3 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

That report is dated 30th. January 1943.  

During the Battle of Britain several pilots reported combat with Heinkel H100's.......just sayin':)

It has the wrong date. It's January of 44 not 43

56th FG didnt start combat operations until April 43 iirc.

16 minutes ago, CUJO_1970 said:

Fog of war, thought he saw something he didn’t - it happens.

Unlikely since the pilot who shot it down also reported it as a new type of 190.

56-powers-30jan44.jpg

Edited by Legioneod
  • Like 1
DD_Arthur

Interesting.  Reading both reports carefully you'll notice two rather different descriptions of how the action with the 190 started.  For Blue One the enemy initiates the action by diving out of the sun onto them but for Blue Three the action is initiated by Blue One diving on the 190 as it was below them.

Legioneod
6 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Interesting.  Reading both reports carefully you'll notice two rather different descriptions of how the action with the 190 started.  For Blue One the enemy initiates the action by diving out of the sun onto them but for Blue Three the action is initiated by Blue One diving on the 190 as it was below them.

Interesting isn't it. It's funny how two people sharing the same moment can have two completely different experiences of it.

I notice the same thing happens when my friend and I fly together, even though we fight the same fight we usually recall the experience differently.

CUJO_1970
3 hours ago, Legioneod said:

It has the wrong date. It's January of 44 not 43

56th FG didnt start combat operations until April 43 iirc.

Unlikely since the pilot who shot it down also reported it as a new type of 190.

56-powers-30jan44.jpg

The first report was dated 1943 - incorrectly then. If 1943 was the correct date then yes, it was fog of war.

Now that we see the correct date - yes it's possible.

Legioneod
10 minutes ago, 216th_Peterla said:

Really interesting read folks.

Agreed. You can find alot of interesting things in combat reports. I've read instances where skilled Jug pilots outturned 109s, and others where they went full power for quite a while (longer than we can in-game) with no problems.

Cunctator

The history of inline engined Fw 190s is long and protracted. The first prototype (Fw 190 V13) for the proposed C series with inline DB 603 engine had it's first flight already in march 1942, followed by V15 and V16 during the following months and V18 with turbocharger towards the end of the year. Since initial results were promising in Summer 1942 Kurt Tank could offer the RLM  a limited  Fw 190-C0 production run with all available engines for combat evaluation, which was rejected.

Legioneod
2 hours ago, MiloMorai said:

What the P-47 and P-51 did to out turn German fighters what was then known as a pylon turn.

High_Yo-Yo_with_instruction_diagram.PNG

I've read of the above tactic on many occasions but that's not what I was referring too.

I'll have to find the reports but I've read from American and German accounts that the Razorbacks could turn tighter than the bubbletops and as a result could hang with 109 in the turn.

I've read this from both American and German accounts so it's not like I'm just quoting one person here.

Also I'm not saying it did this at all altitudes/speeds or in all situations.

Edited by Legioneod