BadBud

Dora and Rockets

Rockets work for me. Thunderbolt didn't have a chance when I got close enough!

BadBud

2019_3_23__23_19_30.jpg

Yep, each R4M packs 520 g of high explosive - about the amount 6 MK108 shells carry! It should rip apart a viermot with a single hit.

Question however is - do you want these rockets and racks to slow you down when going versus fighters.

Edited by CrazyDuck

are these rockets able to be damaged?

not to mention the amount of explosive in the warhead, but the rocket propellant itself. 

also weren't they also timed fused... i've noticed them flying by and then black puffs ahead of me, this could have been flak.

20 minutes ago, -325th-Porky- said:

are these rockets able to be damaged?

not to mention the amount of explosive in the warhead, but the rocket propellant itself. 

also weren't they also timed fused... i've noticed them flying by and then black puffs ahead of me, this could have been flak.

An internet search should give you an answer.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, CrazyDuck said:

Question however is - do you want these rockets and racks to slow you down when going versus fighters.

My thought as well. Even with them gone there must be some extra drag and weight out on the wings.

I digress though: In the 8 or 9 sorties I've flown with them, I can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn with those things, let alone an A/C in flight.

Edited by TRRA15

48 minutes ago, TRRA15 said:

My thought as well. Even with them gone there must be some extra drag and weight out on the wings.

I digress though: In the 8 or 9 sorties I've flown with them, I can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn with those things, let alone an A/C in flight.

Welcome to reality.

• Confused 1

I think it was Galland who said they were very effective against large bomber formations, "Like shooting a flock of geese with a shotgun". When he hadn't forgot to arm them.

22 hours ago, MiloMorai said:

An internet search should give you an answer.

i've looked and i can find no answer about how the rockets are in game.

2 hours ago, -325th-Porky- said:

i've looked and i can find no answer about how the rockets are in game.

They should operate in game as they do in real life. If they don't they are not modelled correctly. You then submit a bug report.

AAA munitions had a self-destruct mechanism.

• Confused 1

Is anyone able to confirm at what range the rockets explode in midair? Supposedly the R4Ms had a range of anywhere between 600 meters to 1,000 meters. I was wondering what makes up that difference and how it's captured in the sim. 

I can't quite make hits when attacking from 1,000 meters, often having to get much closer and negating the benefit of the spread. Pretty curious thing. 

Also wonder if the AI knows how to use these rockets for Anti Air. Would be pretty dull if you were the only one in the squad using the R4M on B-25 formations over Bodenplatte - either with the Dora or the Me 262.

2 hours ago, MarderIV said:

Is anyone able to confirm at what range the rockets explode in midair? Supposedly the R4Ms had a range of anywhere between 600 meters to 1,000 meters. I was wondering what makes up that difference and how it's captured in the sim. 

I can't quite make hits when attacking from 1,000 meters, often having to get much closer and negating the benefit of the spread. Pretty curious thing. 

Also wonder if the AI knows how to use these rockets for Anti Air. Would be pretty dull if you were the only one in the squad using the R4M on B-25 formations over Bodenplatte - either with the Dora or the Me 262.

If I got it right they were shot at 600 metres their projectile flight should be almost the same as the 30mm canon so the sight is adequate for their employment. In game tho I have shot them only in free flight against ground so no idea on how effective they are

Are they supposed to score a direct hit or do they explode at a predetermined distance, showering nearby AC with splinters (like large calibre flak)?

37 minutes ago, CrazyDuck said:

Are they supposed to score a direct hit or do they explode at a predetermined distance, showering nearby AC with splinters (like large calibre flak)?

The intention was that they penetrated the airframe. The charge they carried wasn't sufficient to do much damage otherwise (luck not withstanding).

4 hours ago, Uffz-Prien said:

The intention was that they penetrated the airframe. The charge they carried wasn't sufficient to do much damage otherwise (luck not withstanding).

I am not sure that is the case with the in-game version.   At around 13:30 in this video you see rockets being used against A20s and I am not sure they actually hit directly but they certainly do a lot of damage.

I could be wrong, I admit that,  but the first attack *might* be a miss and the last attack in particular appears to  go underneath the A20 and still blow his tailplane off.  The second and third attacks are most likely directly hits.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I am not sure that is the case with the in-game version.   At around 13:30 in this video you see rockets being used against A20s and I am not sure they actually hit directly but they certainly do a lot of damage.

I could be wrong, I admit that,  but the first attack *might* be a miss and the last attack in particular appears to  go underneath the A20 and still blow his tailplane off.  The second and third attacks are most likely directly hits.

I'm not aware they had any kind of proximity detonator, they were safety-timed, so having one explode close enough to do damage (no collision) would be luck or extremely good training (of which there was none).

2 hours ago, CrazyDuck said:

Liberator after an R4M hit...

B24

:o:

That is a bad day.. jeeez :o:

4 hours ago, CrazyDuck said:

B24

"And your job...you're ball-gunner."

"Hmm...looks a bit cramped in there, you're going to have to show me how to fit in with my chute."

"No, you don't wear your chute in there."

"Ohrly? Go warm up my court martial, I'll meet you there."

6 hours ago, CrazyDuck said:

B24

The radio operator, Technical Sergeant Charles E. Cupp,  survived.

The Me262 pilot was Oberleutnant Rudolf Rademacher of Gruppe II, Jagdgeschwader 7 (11./JG 7), based at Parchim, Germany. Rudi Rademacher was a veteran of more than 500 combat missions.

more, https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/44-50838/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MiloMorai said:

The Me262 pilot was Oberleutnant Rudolf Rademacher of Gruppe II, Jagdgeschwader 7 (11./JG 7), based at Parchim, Germany. Rudi Rademacher was a veteran of more than 500 combat missions.

That would actually be III. Gruppe of JG 7, of which the 11th Staffel was a part. II./JG 7 was never operational.

• Upvote 1

Just now, LukeFF said:

That would actually be III. Gruppe of JG 7, of which the 11th Staffel was a part. II./JG 7 was never operational.

@MiloMorai,

I can see the confusion when you consider this link, http://www.luftwaffe.cz/rademacher.html, however, as LukeFF mentioned, even my book "The Me262 StormBird" has Rudi operating with III./JG-7.

Apparently, he was the Luftwaffe's 10th highest Ace with the Me262 (according to the above book), although ironically in the above book it would appear that the totals would mean that he was the 2nd highest jet Ace, so even my book has some errors! Just goes to show! .

Regards

Edited by Haza

Yes guys I should have caught that error. Sent a message off...will see if it is corrected.

• Upvote 1

Although slightly off topic and talking about ME262 pilots, I just wonder how many players will end up becoming another Eduard Schallmoser and getting his nickname!?