collection of ideas for motion controllers

Dutch2

Maybe we can start a topic about some ideas for the modders. 

I have already sent this good news to a couple of very good modders that are involved in programming for all kind of motion devices, I do hope they will come into action now. 

Thanks Jason. 

Here some ideas, 

an ventilator acting as an wind simulator for open cockpit planes as you can feel the speed of the plane and now can determine if you are near the speedlimit of a dive or at stall.  This is btw well known in race sims 

http://fergotech.net/diy-wind-simulation/  

The shaking of your game chair, using bass shakers, specific while landing, crashing, shooting, stalling as an alternative to the FFB. Think now Gametrix can be implementating. 

https://youtu.be/ehxr6y2InYM

Edited by Dutch2
  • Thanks 1

USB support for the Realteus Forcefeel would be awsome. It works well on audio mode already, but to get seperated effects for wheel impacts and ground, gunshots, forces of nature and so on would be awsome.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Dutch2 said:

an ventilator acting as an wind simulator for open cockpit planes as you can feel the speed of the plane and now can determine if you are near the speedlimit of a dive or at stall.  

The new API Jason has documented doesn't provide airspeed as an output.

15 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

I did notice that after I downloaded the .pdf file on my desktop. First I thought after seeing that on my phone it was an SDK in a .zip file, but it is a manual. Anyway who knows it can be expanding to something more in combination to a deskfan setup, because the acceleration and the surge from the planes X-direction has been included. 

Edited by Dutch2

17 minutes ago, kissklas said:

USB support for the Realteus Forcefeel would be awsome. It works well on audio mode already, but to get seperated effects for wheel impacts and ground, gunshots, forces of nature and so on would be awsome.

Yeah. At the present, the Realteus offers nothing more than a monotonous rumble. Even the sound mode only Buttkicker gives more diverse feedback.

51 minutes ago, BP_Lizard said:

Yeah. At the present, the Realteus offers nothing more than a monotonous rumble. Even the sound mode only Buttkicker gives more diverse feedback.

Then you must have set it up in a way that tops out the audio signal or something. I have it setup on it's own "device" which is mirrored to the VR headset. It doesnt pick up the voice chat then, and i can make sure that the input level is in the green. It rumbles based on direction and volume. So when my wingmen buzz me on ground i get a slight rumble from side to side. When my engine runs it feels natural, when i power up it escalates. When guns are fired the shake is even stronger.

23 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

Should be simple to add that—might we ask? Alternatively can we simply track acceleration to compute speed?

Mitthrawnuruodo
38 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

Should be simple to add that—might we ask? Alternatively can we simply track acceleration to compute speed?

You could integrate the acceleration data to find speed and even position, but it would probably be inaccurate.

Errors would appear over time due to discretization unless the output data exactly matches the internal calculations done by the sim (it probably doesn't). Also, you'd have to find a way to handle non-zero initial conditions, e.g., an air start with some starting velocity.

Furthermore, the result would be ground speed rather than airspeed.

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo

43 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

I suspect that Jason is unlikely to consider adding anything until he sees some evidence that what we've been given is being put to good use. This isn't a general-purpose instrumentation API, and providing one properly (rather than shoehorning in bits of one into something else) would require considerable work. There are also potential issues with such an API potentially assisting cheating, if it isn't carefully thought out (don't ask me how though, because I'm not going to say, since I don't want to give people ideas). ;)

As for computing speed from acceleration data, like Mitthrawnuruodo says, you are liable to get cumulative errors, though I can't see any obvious harm in someone trying. Might even look at it myself, while I'm investigating something else that may or may not work, and may or may not be useful if it does...

On 3/23/2019 at 8:00 PM, BP_Lizard said:

I'd like to add that Realteus offers nothing , they sell their product promising dreams ( free licences for simshakers , ... ) and in the end the reality is here :

- No customer support ( I have sent them lots of questions and issues and like lots of other customers I am still waiting for a reply .... in vain )

- Bad built of the product. My realteus has 2 inverted motors ( and I am not the only one ). This issue has been sent to them since january ... I am still waiting for a reply.... 

- We are still waiting the promised free licences for Simshaker to the first customers. Still no reply from their support ( if a support really exist ! )

- I am french and I cannot connect to the european website with my account. I am forced to use a realteus link I received to reset my password in order to be able to connect to their us website ( because the URL is always redirected to the european website ) ! This issue has been reported too and still no reply !

So to every BOS users who want to buy Realteus, I just said "beware". 

The Realteus looked promising but for the moment it's not the promised product we bought. 

lightbulbjim
17 hours ago, Voss said:

I'd like to add that Realteus offers nothing , they sell their product promising dreams ( free licences for simshakers , ... ) and in the end the reality is here :

- No customer support ( I have sent them lots of questions and issues and like lots of other customers I am still waiting for a reply .... in vain )

- Bad built of the product. My realteus has 2 inverted motors ( and I am not the only one ). This issue has been sent to them since january ... I am still waiting for a reply.... 

- We are still waiting the promised free licences for Simshaker to the first customers. Still no reply from their support ( if a support really exist ! )

- I am french and I cannot connect to the european website with my account. I am forced to use a realteus link I received to reset my password in order to be able to connect to their us website ( because the URL is always redirected to the european website ) ! This issue has been reported too and still no reply !

So to every BOS users who want to buy Realteus, I just said "beware". 

The Realteus looked promising but for the moment it's not the promised product we bought. 

Sounds like the very similar iVibe product. I had one about a decade ago. Lots of stuff promised but in the end I could only ever get it working in audio sensing mode.

Link: http://www.ivibe.com/product.htm

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on initial testing to adapt this solution to 6-DOF.

I've ordered initial parts for Proof of Concept so I'm still a ways off.

2DOF Motion Simulator with truck wiper motor playseat

The windshield wiper motor I have on hand for testing is from a train not a truck so I'm not sure if it is powerful enough (Smaller wipers) but we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

I'm curious if anyone has tried integrating acceleration to get speed, for use in a wind speed simulator? Any joy?

Anyone trying to derive airspeed from acceleration data is going to have multiple issues to deal with. First, the complex maths of dealing with accelerations in three dimensions. Then the inevitable cumulative errors. And then the problem that even if you've managed to do all that, you've only arrived at a velocity relative to your starting point. Which if there is any in-game wind involved, won't be the same thing as your true airspeed, even if you start from parked. It seems an awful lot of effort to go to just to have a fan blowing air in your face. Assuming that is what you mean by a 'wind speed simulator'.

• 3 months later...
1./KG4_EKat

IRT creating a wind simulator prototype, if airspeed were to be added as an additional motion output for the IL2 motion simulator API, what would be the next steps in developing a solution? Would there be a need for third party products, such as an IL2 BOX Simtools plug-in? Could an Arduino-type programmable controller (circuit board) do it? Both perhaps? I'm thinking of a desktop rig mounting several 120mm PWM case fans for use with VR. Flying Circus would even more immersive!

I’m right now exploring Assetto Corsa and rFactor2, both can coop to a nice piece of FREE software called Simhub https://www.simhubdash.com/, that can read from all kind of  signals to implementate extra controlbuttoms, windgenerator, Gametrix, movementsimulators , wathever. All those racesims have an audience online  doing lots of champion races around the web, Esports and no problem regarding hacking telemetry or whatever, no sponsering is needed towards these gamestudio’s to implementate this extra features, it is simply working. 

These game studios are like the BoS team very small and operate in a small niche, limited in labour and budget. I only think race simmers, do have more to spend on the game and are very technical, but thats only based on my first impression.

So why this is all that difficult for 1c as all de simrace studios can cope with this, without any discussions, I do not know, the only thing I “feel” (simshaker & windsim) is that it is an great extra for rF2/AC so I guess also for BoS.   

Edited by Dutch2