Con

Is anyone flying the P39 .

Ok I normally fly online and I'm in most servers . Been flying red this month . I hardly see any P39 . To me it flops around and is so unstable . And I blow my engine if I get into combat . Who is flying this beast . 

Depends. Do you like 5min engine timers?

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 1

I wanted to like it and have tried very hard to learn to use it effectively but have finally admitted I will never be good in it.   You should be able to avoid blowing the engine. It basically has just one RPM setting  (3000) and  two throttle settings in combat ie Military (42 for 15 minutes) & Max (60 for 2 minutes) and you can clearly hear the engine note change as you cross the threshold from one to the other so engine management is actually quite simple.  You fight at 42 inches of Manifold with occasional short bursts at 60 inches then when you get a chance you drop back to Nominal to rest the engine. The problem is that the long drive shaft does not like sudden large changes so if you see you are overshooting your target or entering into a spin and you chop the throttle then ram it forward again something will snap ( the Mig can suffer from the same problem)   Learn not do that and mostly leave the throttle alone and it will be OK.      It is still not a great aircraft for dogfighting though.  You need to keep your combat down to one pass slashing attacks .   The roll is good for evading fighters on your six but it only takes a couple of lucky hits to disable your engine.   It is great at ambushes though as it dives fast and hits hard but you have to get the kill first time as it does not climb back up so well so all you can do is push through and use the accumulated speed to get away.  Very good for killing bombers in one pass if you use the cannon and make use of the roll rate & speed to avoid the gunners going in and coming out.

Posted (edited)

Roll rate was notoriously not too good on p39...

p40 should be much better than 39, not so in game..

image.thumb.png.e60b9fcd307d63f61b4508502bb2a88b.png

Edited by Venturi
  • Confused 1

It's one of my preferred at the BERLOGA server :-)

It's weird you're mentioning the flopping around and the engine limits as (what you perceive to be) the main drawbacks of this plane.

For me the main problem is the visibility. If it somehow had better visibility, let's say the visibility of a 109 (just as example), then I'd fly this bird alot more. It currently just has too bog blind spots for my taste.

Maybe in VR the blind spots are better manageable?

• Upvote 1

Visibility is my #1 gripe as regards to usability. The overall feel inside the cockpit of the P-40 is far superior. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Yes - I am flying the P-39L almost exclusively. I have K/D about 4/1 lately on the WoL. You have switch throttle/rpm/rads in a fluid manners and track your energy state carefully. The Cobra is plane with excellent dive, very high peak top speed and great instantaneous turn rate between 300-450mph indicated. I use clever snapshots and the mirror for scanning surroundings and rarely get surprised by the enemy.

You can check my snapshots in this post.

Edited by Ehret

Also agree that it “flops” about in the air too much... kinda like the 109’s in release of BOS. It feels too unstable  and any control input drastically moves the nose around, (making gunnery difficult) I don’t know if this was historically accurate but I can’t belive people loved the aircraft irl if it handled like it’s portrayed here. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Bullets said:

Also agree that it “flops” about in the air too much... kinda like the 109’s in release of BOS. It feels too unstable  and any control input drastically moves the nose around, (making gunnery difficult) I don’t know if this was historically accurate but I can’t belive people loved the aircraft irl if it handled like it’s portrayed here. 

Trim it! And keep it fast and by fast I mean +300mph indicated. Avoid slow continuous turning fights like a plague. Sometimes it can be done but it's ill advised; it's like throwing your best pros away.

Posted (edited)

At the beginning I was also thinking "oh god, what is that [Edited] and it stayed in the hangar. I really tried it again today and what a good surprise. It's fast and maneuverable.

The problem is that engine specifications in the game are wrong (those from the forum are correct in contrary). For example (i'm not sure) it says 15min at 42", while the engine actually last 18 minuts with 45". Here is my speed tests (3000rpm): 

60" => 555 for 1min50

55" => 544 for 3min

50" => 539 for 8min

45" => 515 for 18min

So I guess if you set ~48" you will reach 525/530 for at least 10min which is enough too me. 

You loose 12km/h (8mph) with water rad and 6 (4mph) with oil rad. Not bad. 

That's mainly why I was not trying it much, I thought the engine was way too fragile.

I flew it for a moment on Berloga and was able to master 109s in hard and tight dogfights. So it's definitly a potent and fast dogfighter.

From now, it will be one of my favorit choice on KOTA against 109Ks and Doras. Imagine that at low alt, it's almost as fast as P47 (ok, for 2min instead of ~8 for the 47) :dance:

To me the 3 bad points of P39 are: 

- Aiming with the 37mm (but with training I'm sure it won't be a problem)

- RPM overrun easily (but with training you will also get used to it)

- Visibility (nothing to do about that...)

17 hours ago, Bullets said:

It feels too unstable  and any control input drastically moves the nose around, (making gunnery difficult)

How are your axis curves? It should be around 50% otherwise most of aircrafts are too sensitive.

Edited by Bearcat

Sorry I am not saying it is too sensitive, my comment was a bit exaggerated. Nothing to do with trim or axis curves, It just feels very unsettled especially at lower airspeeds 350>. I will take your advice next time I fly it and just do my best to keep airspeed high to combat that :) 

7 minutes ago, F/JG300_Faucon said:

To me the 3 bad points of P39 are: 

- Aiming with the 37mm (but with training I'm sure it won't be a problem)

- RPM overrun easily (but with training you will also get used to it)

- Visibility (nothing to do about that...)

For the M4 37mm cannon in the P-39 harmonized trajectories should look like (ignore wings gun; in case L in the game it's better to remove 30s cals anyway):

p39q_chart.jpg.1d88d75f6dee3768849de07b41b07ba6.jpg

As you can see it differs only by 1ft after 2000ft when compared to 50s! Of course flight time of the 37mm is longer thus the target must stay still to get 37mm and 50s both hitting. Unfortunately it's not possible to get such pattern in the game because we have only a simple convergence option... Yet, from my experience convergence of 300m does approximate it partially.

More irritating is that you have only 400 rounds of the 50s available. That is 200 rounds per gun and it doesn't last for long. 30 rounds for the 37mm is surprisingly enough because the cannon cycles so (2.5 shots per s) slow and it doesn't make sense to spam it.

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 6:11 AM, =FSB=HandyNasty said:

It's weird you're mentioning the flopping around and the engine limits as (what you perceive to be) the main drawbacks of this plane.

For me the main problem is the visibility. If it somehow had better visibility, let's say the visibility of a 109 (just as example), then I'd fly this bird alot more. It currently just has too bog blind spots for my taste.

Maybe in VR the blind spots are better manageable?

I do recall another player, who uses VR, telling me that yes, the cockpit is much better to see out of compared to a monitor screen. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Isn't the 'floppiness' due to the engine location; making it very easy to rotate around its centre of gravity?

1 hour ago, Valis said:

Isn't the 'floppiness' due to the engine location; making it very easy to rotate around its centre of gravity?

Maybe. In return it could enhance the instantaneous turning rate. After some practice and tuning the curve for the stick's Y axis it's controllable enough. Not worse than Spitfires, imho.

I love this plane. It helps for me that the cockpit is in english, so I think managing it has seemed more intuitive. It feels the most like a machine of the planes in the game, though, the sounds are finely tuned for all engine performance levels and that gives me a better physical, immersive experience. I am bad with it, lol, but I am bad with all planes so that doesn't really bother me. I do hate the blind spots, and I do love the mirror (saves me a lot). At high speed it feels very maneuverable, and it is thankfully safer in a dive than the other red fighters I have used. I'm a bad shot, so it also helps that landing a cannon hit mostly rips a wing off the enemy plane. I really wish I could fly it above 16kft, though. The massive drop in manifold pressure at 17 bums me out every time.

• Like 1

Sometimes I wonder about who’s posting on these forums. 👾

20 hours ago, coughlinjon said:

I love this plane. It helps for me that the cockpit is in english, so I think managing it has seemed more intuitive. It feels the most like a machine of the planes in the game, though, the sounds are finely tuned for all engine performance levels and that gives me a better physical, immersive experience. I am bad with it, lol, but I am bad with all planes so that doesn't really bother me. I do hate the blind spots, and I do love the mirror (saves me a lot). At high speed it feels very maneuverable, and it is thankfully safer in a dive than the other red fighters I have used. I'm a bad shot, so it also helps that landing a cannon hit mostly rips a wing off the enemy plane. I really wish I could fly it above 16kft, though. The massive drop in manifold pressure at 17 bums me out every time.

I haven't flown it a lot, but I like it, its not as much of a dog as people make it out to be. Its just frustrating to fly with the strict engine limits and the bad fields of view. Its lovely in a dive and its not a bad turner. The dive speed is a blessing when you're used to flying VVS crates, its a lot of fun to dive straight down from 10000 feet without worrying about losing control surfaces. And I know what you mean about the english cockpits, I don't normally have trouble with the Russian cockpits as I can figure it out by context, but they take a little longer to get used to. 

The P-39s reputation in-sim is a function of its real-life problems and the engine limitations, which were often ignored by the Russian pilots taking risks to get the most out of their planes. Many of the IRL benefits of the P-39 (like a good radio for teamwork) are irrelevant in the sim. Basically the P-39 has all of its real life problems modeled and fewer of its benefits. On most servers, the P-39 is available alongside other planes of the same era which are very close or superior in performance and have a lot of other benefits, like the Spit V or the Yak-7B, or the La-5. So people don't fly it that often and never learn to get the most out of it. Admittedly, getting the most out of it still only gets you close to what you can get out of easier to manage airplanes.

And as to the altitude thing ... yeah, the RAF was bummed out by the high alt performance too LOL. IIRC the first squadron equipped with them took them for a flight, landed, and then immediately sent the planes back! The ETO was heavily skewed to high alt operations for most of the war so a dealbreaker for the RAF was no problem for the VVS, who operated at mid-to-low alts most of the time.