Sign in to follow this  
LukeFF

Kermit Weeks buys an I-16

At one point, he gives a good impression of what the pilot's view would be (something that's been debated a lot on the Russian forums):

( @=FB=VikS, you might find this interesting)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

In need of TLC, but they are planning to restore it to flying condition. I'm not sure that picking an aircraft up by the propshaft is an approved method, but the engine is going to be replaced anyway. 

This is one of the I-16s restored in New Zealand, though I doubt that much of it is original. From what I remember from an earlier video, the odd-shaped spinner is hiding an inauthentic propeller hub.

Always liked that little plane... hope Kermi gets it ship shape and ready to fly again!

There’s a restored one up this way - they don’t fly it however. I wish they would.

On 2/19/2020 at 10:33 AM, AndyJWest said:

In need of TLC, but they are planning to restore it to flying condition. I'm not sure that picking an aircraft up by the propshaft is an approved method, but the engine is going to be replaced anyway. 

Yeah, I had no idea that the engine of the big ol' An-2 was essentially the same one that powered the I-16. That's adaptability!

I saw a flying i16 at duxford flying legends 10 years ago this july.

Was very very cool. Never heard a plan before or since, that sounded quite so 'agricultural' in the air!!!!

I just watched this the other day, another plane to his collection. that dude certainly lives a dream life for some of us. Hope he can finish his other projects too, he's got a great collection of stuff.

I'm starting to think that Kermit has access to more funds than I do. Anyone else getting that impression?