ladlon

Bodenplatte standard?

Hi.  Is it not possible to preorder the Standard version of Bodenplatte?  I can only see the Deluxe version available.

I just got the Deluxe version of Kuban, and was considering preordering Bodenplatte, but due to the exchange rate, I'd prefer to get the Standard version, as that would save me $30 (assuming one exists).

So that's how all of the modules will work?...  Early access is always Premium, and then a Standard version becomes available after final release?

Is the current IL-2 site sale only going until the end of March, or is the sale price staying until the final release (exit from early access) of each respective module?

newest modules will always cost more. you are actually getting discount buying the premium in early access with a bonus warm funny feeling of supporting something you love to be developed(and getting to fly the planes earlier) if the price is too much just wait for a sale after release

10 minutes ago, ladlon said:

So that's how all of the modules will work?...  Early access is always Premium, and then a Standard version becomes available after final release?

Is the current IL-2 site sale only going until the end of March, or is the sale price staying until the final release (exit from early access) of each respective module?

Yes

Sale for BoS BoM BoK will end in end of March, but discount on BoBp premium will be there until it gets officialy out sometime late this year

Posted (edited)

@colemanuk82 Yep, I understand that older modules are obviously cheaper... What I was (initially) wondering was whether there was a standard version of Bodenplatte available.

The reasoning being, I just bought Kuban (Deluxe).  The exchange rate is a bit brutal currently, so ideally I'd prefer to buy a Standard version of Bodenplatte, rather than the Deluxe, as the difference is about $30 (with the exchange rate)... if that were an option.  But, it's not, so I have to ponder the purchase further.  It ends up being almost $100, on top of the $73 I just spend for Kuban.... So, I just have to consider it (vs waiting a few years for Bodenplate's price to get reduced).

Ah, thanks for clarifying that @77.CountZero

Seemed like the BoBp map might be coming out next month or so... so I wasn't sure how close we were to the BoBp release.

Okay, I guess that gives me some more time.  I literally just got BoK (my first and only of the BoX series), so I have plenty to keep me busy... I just didn't want to miss out on the discount, if I chose to get BoBp.

Edited by ladlon

7 hours ago, ladlon said:

@colemanuk82 Yep, I understand that older modules are obviously cheaper... What I was (initially) wondering was whether there was a standard version of Bodenplatte available.

The reasoning being, I just bought Kuban (Deluxe).  The exchange rate is a bit brutal currently, so ideally I'd prefer to buy a Standard version of Bodenplatte, rather than the Deluxe, as the difference is about $30 (with the exchange rate)... if that were an option.  But, it's not, so I have to ponder the purchase further.  It ends up being almost $100, on top of the $73 I just spend for Kuban.... So, I just have to consider it (vs waiting a few years for Bodenplate's price to get reduced).

Ah, thanks for clarifying that @77.CountZero

Seemed like the BoBp map might be coming out next month or so... so I wasn't sure how close we were to the BoBp release.

Okay, I guess that gives me some more time.  I literally just got BoK (my first and only of the BoX series), so I have plenty to keep me busy... I just didn't want to miss out on the discount, if I chose to get BoBp.

Throughout the history of the series, the early access version was always the Premium package (with a $10 discount applied throughout early access) and the Standard edition came out only after release.

Battle of Bodenplatte is likely several months out from release so you have lots of time if you want to wait for Standard edition and the $10 discount will go until its officially released. There will likely be a fair bit of warning on that too. I'm also doubting if we'll see the map released next month. It'd be a welcome surprise but I think it'll be a while yet.

Oh, so are you saying they will make a Standard version available before it officially releases (that will also have the discount)?  That would be great.

I definitely want to get Bodenplatte, but between the two collector planes for that particular module, and a $30 savings, I'd pick the savings.  I'm considering getting some of the other modules, so saving a bit and putting it towards a different module would be a good strategy.... plus, I'm starting to eye some more DCS stuff!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ladlon said:

Oh, so are you saying they will make a Standard version available before it officially releases (that will also have the discount)?  That would be great.

I definitely want to get Bodenplatte, but between the two collector planes for that particular module, and a $30 savings, I'd pick the savings.  I'm considering getting some of the other modules, so saving a bit and putting it towards a different module would be a good strategy.... plus, I'm starting to eye some more DCS stuff!

No that's not what I'm saying. Standard will come only after release. The $10 discount on the Premium early access will also end after release.

If you can wait and you're price conscious, sales are the best way to pick stuff up, but there's definitely a waiting game involved with that strategy.

Ah, okay.  That makes more sense.  I could wait for release, and get the regular priced Standard (...or get the Premium now, discounted).

I guess I have to see what the difference (in price, after the exchange rate) would be.

...Or, I could just throw caution to the wind, and get it!  I'm not THAT hard for cash!  😀

• Like 1

Just to be clear -

Early Access has always been just the Premium version but at about $10 less than it will be be when officially released.   

Only after the official release, which could easily be 6-12 months away,  will a 'standard' edition be released and both Standard & Premium versions will then be full price.   

You are unlikely to see a sale of BoBp until at least six months after it's official release.  Kuban was released in March 2018 and I think the first sale was in October. 2018 but it could be longer if BoBp continues to sell well at full price after release.
The collectors planes from BoBp will probably become available to people who do not have BoBp Premium around the time of the official BoBp release.

Yep, got it.  Ya, I wouldn't imagine BoBp would go on sale for a very long time, and even then, the discount would start small.

Still, it's something to consider (buy now, buy later)... including whether to buy Bodenplatte, or one of the other modules instead.

Just being responsible with my money...

1 minute ago, ladlon said:

Yep, got it.  Ya, I wouldn't imagine BoBp would go on sale for a very long time, and even then, the discount would start small.

Still, it's something to consider (buy now, buy later)... including whether to buy Bodenplatte, or one of the other modules instead.

Just being responsible with my money...

That would be a first.

Flight simmers being responsible with their money...

:wacko:

I'm a unique and special snowflake.....  🙂

But, ya, part of me is starting to break... and I'm a hair away from going on a shopping spree.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, ladlon said:

But, ya, part of me is starting to break... and I'm a hair away from going on a shopping spree.

you and me both!

55 minutes ago, ladlon said:

What part of the world are you in? You mentioned a brutal exchange rate.

Hello again, CanadaOne.  I mentioned that in one of our last posts.  How quickly you forget....  ( Overly dramatic look of shock and disgust )

I'm a fellow Canadian, in Ontario.  (You are in Hamilton, if I remember right)  The Canadian/US exchange is usually bad, as you are I'm sure well aware.  Certainly not as bad as other places, I'm sure.  But, bad enough.  Kuban (Premium) was $53 or so, and I paid $73... So, it adds about $30 to the price.   Bodenplate is $60, and will probably cost around $93 or so.  So, add that to the $73 I've already paid a few days ago for Kuban, and it gets into the 'I've got to stop and think about this' realm.... especially when I'm also considering getting some of the other modules, as well as maybe some DCS stuff (....I've recently re-visited flight sims, so I've been playing DCS, CloD, XPlane, and now BoX a lot).

Hello. I have a question, if I buy Battle of Bodenplatte here in the site can use it in my Steam account? I have purchased all (BOS, BOM, BOK and collector planes) in Steam.

11 hours ago, ladlon said:

Hello again, CanadaOne.  I mentioned that in one of our last posts.  How quickly you forget....  ( Overly dramatic look of shock and disgust )

I'm a fellow Canadian, in Ontario.  (You are in Hamilton, if I remember right)  The Canadian/US exchange is usually bad, as you are I'm sure well aware.  Certainly not as bad as other places, I'm sure.  But, bad enough.  Kuban (Premium) was $53 or so, and I paid $73... So, it adds about $30 to the price.   Bodenplate is $60, and will probably cost around $93 or so.  So, add that to the $73 I've already paid a few days ago for Kuban, and it gets into the 'I've got to stop and think about this' realm.... especially when I'm also considering getting some of the other modules, as well as maybe some DCS stuff (....I've recently re-visited flight sims, so I've been playing DCS, CloD, XPlane, and now BoX a lot).

I feel it too. I'm the one from Hamilton... CanadaOne is... Toronto I think? I honestly can't remember :)

It seems to be hovering around 0.75-0.76 cents US.

Everyone seems to be from Hamilton these days!  The new center of the universe, it seems...  (I'm in Toronto)

Can't blame it, as I am watching as all the great 'landmarks' of downtown Toronto are disappearing, one by one...  Worlds Biggest Bookstore, Active Surplus, Sam The Record Man....  Queen street, which previously had all kinds of interesting personality and stores, is now pretty much just shoe stores and lots of empty lots.  Just another street, now.. No reason to go to it, unfortunately.

Yep, the dollar is around 75.

Trying to decide if I should grab BoS or BoM.... or preorder BoBp.   I'm very interested in BoBp, but the others are relatively cheap right now... and BoBp will be about $93 CAN.

I'm still just scratching the surface with BoK (my first of the BoX series).  I certainly am impressed with several things (like the good performance, despite my old CPU), and some of the detail effects.  A few things that disappoint me... many relating to how the company seems to be simplifying or eliminating things 'as not to confuse the more casual gamers'.  I previously didn't care for the 'tablet-like' interface (mega big buttons!), but I've numbed to it now.  I still prefer the landscape of CloD....although to be fair, I have to see Bodenplatte to make a more apples to apples comparison.  I just don't get a 1940s vibe from it, though... Feels modern somehow, whereas CloD has that quaint WW2 era look/feel.  Something wtih the buildings or how the towns are laid out.  Kuban has nice bits, but also a lot of 'wilderness' (ex. the tree covered hills/mountains) that really don't have much as far as ground interest (no buildings/targets... just lots and lots of trees....).  Fine for if you are a dogfight guy, but I'm into straffing and bombing mostly.  CloD just seems visually more appealing to me, personally... as far as the landscape and overall tone.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The only thing you'll get out of buying Bodenplatte now is the planes. The map isnt ready yet. 

Canadian here as well. I too feel your pain with the exchange rate, which is why I have dropped all the other sims I play(ed) in favour of this one. DCS is fun, but damn it's expensive, and time consuming because of its intensity. I love Il2 because I jump into any plane without having to rebind or remap my keys to every new plane I try to fly.

I bought Stalingrad first to be able to fly with some buddies, as like you, I've rediscovered my love for sims. After flying BOS for a few weeks I bought Moscow and Kuban during the winter sales. 

Edited by Megalax

Posted (edited)

Hello!  Well, buying BoBp now also gives you the discount.  But, in that particular module, I'm not overly eager/interested in the collector planes (unlike BoK, where I DID get the deluxe version).   At least not '$30 eager/interested'....

I have to decide if I should grab BoS or BoM while it's on sale... or preorder BoBp (which has more time for deciding).... or spend it on something else.

I'm far more interested in Western Europe (BoBp), otherwise it would be an easier decision.  The planes offered by BoS or BoM are not too much of interest to me... I'm not against them, but they're not of huge interest.  Not really sure about the maps, either...  That's why I got BoK as my first module.  But, still, the prices are fairly low, so they are calling to me a bit.

DCS stuff is not currently on sale, so at least I can put them off the list (for now).  I also have to first see how DCS 2.5 runs on my system (I'm running 1.5... and it's good).  So, no further DCS investments until I see how 2.5 runs.  Even THERE, I am on the fence....  I'd get the Persian Gulf, as that apparently is really good... yet, at the same time, I'm kind of liking Nevada...  So, I really don't know.  I have the A-10 and Huey... so as far as planes... maybe the F-18?  Really don't know...

Then again, maybe I should buy some new clothes...  :)

Edited by ladlon

13 hours ago, ladlon said:

Hello!  Well, buying BoBp now also gives you the discount.  But, in that particular module, I'm not overly eager/interested in the collector planes (unlike BoK, where I DID get the deluxe version).   At least not '$30 eager/interested'....

I have to decide if I should grab BoS or BoM while it's on sale... or preorder BoBp (which has more time for deciding).... or spend it on something else.

I'm far more interested in Western Europe (BoBp), otherwise it would be an easier decision.  The planes offered by BoS or BoM are not too much of interest to me... I'm not against them, but they're not of huge interest.  Not really sure about the maps, either...  That's why I got BoK as my first module.  But, still, the prices are fairly low, so they are calling to me a bit.

DCS stuff is not currently on sale, so at least I can put them off the list (for now).  I also have to first see how DCS 2.5 runs on my system (I'm running 1.5... and it's good).  So, no further DCS investments until I see how 2.5 runs.  Even THERE, I am on the fence....  I'd get the Persian Gulf, as that apparently is really good... yet, at the same time, I'm kind of liking Nevada...  So, I really don't know.  I have the A-10 and Huey... so as far as planes... maybe the F-18?  Really don't know...

Then again, maybe I should buy some new clothes...  :)

Thank you for your input! 

Here is the thing though. What you see is what you get here. The sim we love and play is what it is. It is made by an underfunded team of technical experts, and one of the most beautiful things about the way they work is that, if you can prove that they have something wrong, they will correct it. 

Seems to me though that you aren't happy with the state of flight simulation in general. I agree. It could be better. I look forward with baited breath to you producing any kind of offering which is at least at the same level of the products currently on the market. 

[edited]

• Upvote 1

As usual Early Access versions are the Full Monty, Standard Editions become available once the game is released. I like the Full Monty versions more, but to each his own.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, ladlon said:

Everyone seems to be from Hamilton these days!  The new center of the universe, it seems...  (I'm in Toronto)

Can't blame it, as I am watching as all the great 'landmarks' of downtown Toronto are disappearing, one by one...  Worlds Biggest Bookstore, Active Surplus, Sam The Record Man....  Queen street, which previously had all kinds of interesting personality and stores, is now pretty much just shoe stores and lots of empty lots.  Just another street, now.. No reason to go to it, unfortunately.

We weren't all that cool until about 5-8 years ago when the prices in TO started pushing everyone here. Now prices are up here too. But we did get a bunch of great places to eat at least :)

21 hours ago, ladlon said:

Yep, the dollar is around 75.

Trying to decide if I should grab BoS or BoM.... or preorder BoBp.   I'm very interested in BoBp, but the others are relatively cheap right now... and BoBp will be about $93 CAN.

I'm still just scratching the surface with BoK (my first of the BoX series).  I certainly am impressed with several things (like the good performance, despite my old CPU), and some of the detail effects.  A few things that disappoint me... many relating to how the company seems to be simplifying or eliminating things 'as not to confuse the more casual gamers'.  I previously didn't care for the 'tablet-like' interface (mega big buttons!), but I've numbed to it now.  I still prefer the landscape of CloD....although to be fair, I have to see Bodenplatte to make a more apples to apples comparison.  I just don't get a 1940s vibe from it, though... Feels modern somehow, whereas CloD has that quaint WW2 era look/feel.  Something wtih the buildings or how the towns are laid out.  Kuban has nice bits, but also a lot of 'wilderness' (ex. the tree covered hills/mountains) that really don't have much as far as ground interest (no buildings/targets... just lots and lots of trees....).  Fine for if you are a dogfight guy, but I'm into straffing and bombing mostly.  CloD just seems visually more appealing to me, personally... as far as the landscape and overall tone. 

As a content package I think Battle of Moscow is my favourite between BoS and BoM. I love the MiG, the I-16, the Ju-88, Bf110E-2, yeah... lots to like. Also the Moscow map is quite good. Not quite as scenic as Kuban but quite good.

As for the interface. I think that's part of the story of how this series got started. When Maddox games and their follow up to Cliffs of Dover died out, 1C Game Studios got the nod to use their Rise of Flight game engine to develop the next IL-2 series. But they had to get Battle of Moscow basically up and running in around 2-years(ish) and that's not a lot of time. So things like the UI were done very simply. The team has never had a chance to go back over it.

It's not immersive but it is clean and simple and it gets the job done.

I was always buying the premium ones at a discount because the 2 extra planes are just worth it Imo. Since il2 is literally the only Sim that offers what I want in a combat flight Sim it's worth it for me even with our not so great Canadian $$$.

I'm always surprised how many Canadians are active on the forums, I used to live in TO but now reside in Waterloo for school (I'm at the ripe old age of 21)

On 3/21/2019 at 9:49 AM, dburne said:

That would be a first.

Flight simmers being responsible with their money...

:wacko:

Itis cheaper than the real thing. I mean, the P-47 can guzzle it's way through ~300 gallons of 100ll avgas every flight. A quick Google search shoes that, while its come down, it's still ~5-6 USD a gallon. That around about $1,500 a flight.

You can buy a lot of sim stuff for that kind of money :dance:

15 hours ago, ladlon said:

I'm far more interested in Western Europe (BoBp), otherwise it would be an easier decision.  The planes offered by BoS or BoM are not too much of interest to me... I'm not against them, but they're not of huge interest.  Not really sure about the maps, either...  That's why I got BoK as my first module. 

I feel your pain. Unlike what seems to be the majority of WW2 sim enthusiasts and developers, I dont like Eastern Front at all. But to get around that and still enjoy it, my solution is to fly with the Luftwaffles until the game shifts to the Western front or the PTO. That way I can figure out all the weaknesses of the 109's and 190's until I can climb into a Tempest. I have an affinity for the Typhoon, so the Tempest will have to do until one (if it ever!) comes to the sim.

The only reason I got BOM was for the P-40, and BOK I got for the 190A-5 and Spitfire. I have no interest in the Soviet planes at all.  I bought Bodenplatte last week at the announcement of the Dora and the model shots of the Tempest. That alone justified the $93 that I told my wife was for car parts.

48 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Itis cheaper than the real thing. I mean, the P-47 can guzzle it's way through ~300 gallons of 100ll avgas every flight. A quick Google search shoes that, while its come down, it's still ~5-6 USD a gallon. That around about $1,500 a flight.

You can buy a lot of sim stuff for that kind of money :dance:

Plus in the sim you dont have to worry about banging it up on landing.