Jump to content
stupor-mundi

Crew damage model, open hatch.

Recommended Posts

A bit of an unsavory question here.

We all know from experience, pre- visible crew members, that leaving the hatch open exposes the crew to more danger from explosions, but also strafing, than having it shut.

Now, with the commander visibly poking out of the cupola of the Tiger and presenting an inviting target, I find visually my machine gun tracers go through him.

Does that mean damage happens and is not shown visually? Does it mean no damage happens, and damage from strafing only occurred when shots went downward, through the hatch, into the turret?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stupor-mundi said:

A bit of an unsavory question here.

We all know from experience, pre- visible crew members, that leaving the hatch open exposes the crew to more danger from explosions, but also strafing, than having it shut.

Now, with the commander visibly poking out of the cupola of the Tiger and presenting an inviting target, I find visually my machine gun tracers go through him.

Does that mean damage happens and is not shown visually? Does it mean no damage happens, and damage from strafing only occurred when shots went downward, through the hatch, into the turret?

 

Damage definitely happens when u shoot a commander that is outside of the hatch. The other day I killed a KV-1 commander with my MG and saw him collapse on top of his tank (really nice animation BTW).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, SCG_Riksen said:

 

Damage definitely happens when u shoot a commander that is outside of the hatch. The other day I killed a KV-1 commander with my MG and saw him collapse on top of his tank (really nice animation BTW).

 

There should be a special medal if you can do that with a handgun from an FC plane.

 

"Order of the Holy **** I'm Good with Oak Leaf Clusters"

 

FrenchCroixDeGuerreWithSSPalmMedalRibbon

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SCG_Riksen said:

and saw him collapse on top of his tank

 

hmm. well if this functionality has been implemented, it does make me wonder. I've extensively machinegunned commanders, and visually, it looked as if my shots went right through them without effect.

Will try some more.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's set like that only against the 7th Panzer Division also more affectionately known as the "Ghost Division".  😀  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SCG_Neun said:

It's set like that only against the 7th Panzer Division also more affectionately known as the "Ghost Division".  😀  

Yes, that's right!!  I LOVE it!!!👻:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stupor,   I have noticed that as I move around in the cupola I seem to leave the commander figure who suddenly appears ....sometimes giving me a bit of a scare as the figure appears without warning .....point is I wonder if it's possible that if the player is leaning "out of body", perhaps no damage to the commander....but if the player is on the neutral "in body" position perhaps damage registers....????

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, J5_Baeumer said:

Stupor,   I have noticed that as I move around in the cupola I seem to leave the commander figure who suddenly appears ....sometimes giving me a bit of a scare as the figure appears without warning .....point is I wonder if it's possible that if the player is leaning "out of body", perhaps no damage to the commander....but if the player is on the neutral "in body" position perhaps damage registers....????

 

That could be! Time will tell. There are many opportunities for trying this out. They are just of very short duration each, for  obvious reasons, in multiplayer. I've not familiarized myself with the mission designer, so I'll have to rely on multiplayer to get to the bottom of it.

 

My interpretation of what you said would be this: Not, that the player is somehow protected, when leaning "out of body", but that the actual, injur-able body is not exactly where it appears to be visually, i.e. the attacker would aim at the wrong location, and this would explain that the rounds visually go through...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, that's exactly what I am wondering is true.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2019 at 4:30 AM, J5_Baeumer said:

I wonder if it's possible that if the player is leaning "out of body", perhaps no damage to the commander....but if the player is on the neutral "in body" position perhaps damage registers....????


I lost my commander the other day by a mg, and I was "out of body" at the time, so I don't think it matters, but I don't know for sure ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2019 at 11:38 AM, KARAYA1 said:


I lost my commander the other day by a mg, and I was "out of body" at the time, so I don't think it matters, but I don't know for sure ;)

Hi KARAYA1.Can you still switch to the commander's position and look around after he is killed or is he disabled?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RIVALDO said:

Hi KARAYA1.Can you still switch to the commander's position and look around after he is killed or is he disabled?

He is disabled.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i can shed my experience on this as well, left from commander position to gunner position and forgot to close hatch, got strafed by a plane (MP) and tried to go back to commander but was unavailable. plane strafed me again a couple of times i was in pz3 and he eventually knocked me out.. Im assuming he shot rounds in my still open hatch and those rounds ricoched inside the tank but i cant be sure.. would be nice to know how you died. (one of the few things i did like about the very very very unrealistic war thunder is that you knew how you died)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you left the commander position without buttoning up you left the commander up there while you moved into the Gunner control position....it's not like a in game person moved from commander to Gunner....you simply too direct actionable control of a different crewman....so your commander died by strafing  while you were controlling gunner.    That is why you could not return to take control of Commander ....you left him in harm's way where he died....

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...