SYN_Luftwaffles

Need more mirrors!

Hahaha I know it's a loaded subject, but could we get more mirrors, or plane mods akin to RoF for mirrors? I fly in VR and I feel handicapped by not being aware of what is behind me since I'm a little less bendy than I used to be.... 

31224867-young-man-wearing-cervical-collar-handsome-guy-with-neck-brace-on-white-background.jpg

Watermarks make it better

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 3

I hear you. I'm usually for 100% historical accuracy but they just didn't put old, stiff guys like me into warbirds back then so anything to help me check my six in VR would be great.

• Like 1

Something like this might work!

mirrors.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 15
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, meplanes1969 said:

If you see a plane on your six it’s proberly too late ( you’re doomed already )

If I see a plane approaching from any direction, I'm doomed!
/I have the bailout button mapped to my trigger for maximum efficiency!

• Haha 9

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, pfrances said:

I hear you. I'm usually for 100% historical accuracy but they just didn't put old, stiff guys like me into warbirds back then so anything to help me check my six in VR would be great.

Ah so you’re only for 100% historical accuracy unless it helps YOU personally. I had an argument with a guy who kept spouting off about how “zoom isnt historically accurate. DELETE IT” and he had a 4k 10foot monitor and a beautiful set up. Lets start thinking about others please :) but anyways yeah help the old farts out.

Edited by pegg00
  • Confused 2

21 hours ago, BP_Lizard said:

By any chance you were a Mod back in the 80s?

185C3AF5-FCEA-4142-9AAA-C333BAE3386F.jpeg

It was the 60s ;) Us old farts can remember that far back :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DD_Crash said:

It was the 60s ;) Us old farts can remember that far back :)

Of course. I just didn’t want to assume that SYN_Luftwaffles was that old. 😁

• Haha 1

I'm not exactly old but I used to race motorcycles and lost several arguments with physics.

• Haha 2

I've not experienced VR as yet but does it not have the ability to alter the distance tracked as you turn your head, much as head tracking does?

Its 1:1 with VR so to see your 6 you will have to look over your shoulder.

Already posted this short vid of mine in the FC thread about mirrors, but I'll post it here again to help people understand how VR works / what it actually is

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Rothary said:

Already posted this short vid of mine in the FC thread about mirrors, but I'll post it here again to help people understand how VR works / what it actually is

My first glimpse of VR!

Quite amazing, but surely the resolution must be better than as shown? And why such a narrow field of view? Looks like it was shot on a very old cell phone. 

I'm guessing that the recording can't capture the vision fully for some reason.....  

3 hours ago, jaygee485 said:

My first glimpse of VR!

Quite amazing, but surely the resolution must be better than as shown? And why such a narrow field of view? Looks like it was shot on a very old cell phone. 

I'm guessing that the recording can't capture the vision fully for some reason.....  

He's pushed his phone camera into the headset.

The best way to describe VR is that you've been put into the cockpit of an actual plane but given goggles to wear with a bit of Vaseline smeared evenly over the surface.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah I had to film it vertically with my phone, since the phone doesnt fit in front of the lense horizontally. Note that I can only film through one lense at a time, while the headset has two (one for each eye), which allows you to see the virtual world in 3D through the exact same mechanism you see the real world in 3D. Your field of vision really just feels like you're wearing goggles.  And yes, the resolution is better than it appears on the video, while still not exactly being high, but you can read most dials without having to lean forward.

Edited by Rothary

As a VR player I second the movement for more mirrors. Having an office chair helps a little, but having a mirror is gold.

Also makes it a lot easier applying makeup. Need to match the plane  colours😂

Maybe you might consider one of these.

170 degree FOV - granted the edges are not the sharpest but they are more than enough to help with see if something is on your ass without having to do the Exorcist  Style head turn.  Just need a beefy system to run it at full FOV.  Options are 130, 150 and 170 degree FOV.  I run 1`50 but would be nice to run 170 but I can swivel on my chair to ease the neck trauma.

Image courtesy of RoadtoVR

Oh and with SteamVR smoothing - don't have to run it at 90hz/fps

Pimax HMD.jpg

11 hours ago, Uffz-Prien said:

He's pushed his phone camera into the headset.

The best way to describe VR is that you've been put into the cockpit of an actual plane but given goggles to wear with a bit of Vaseline smeared evenly over the surface.

Thanks for answering what was really a stupid question. Soon after I'd posted that query I saw an ad for VR (Occulus Rift, I think?) which more clearly demonstrated the 3D and fairly wide angle view that you get. I'm beginning to realise the possibilities! For a resolution tradeoff, you actually get to sit in the cockpit.

Hmmm, should I have spent less on my monitor .........?

On 3/20/2019 at 6:38 PM, meplanes1969 said:

If you see a plane on your six it’s proberly too late ( you’re doomed already )

I'd say 50/50. Here mirror saved my bacon:

1 hour ago, jaygee485 said:

Hmmm, should I have spent less on my monitor .........?

Lol, tell me about it. I spent £700 on the Acer Predator 36" curved wide-screen G-Sync god-monitor a few months before 'discovering' VR. It's not totally wasted though, I do a lot of other stuff and games that benefit from it.

8 hours ago, Uffz-Prien said:

Lol, tell me about it. I spent £700 on the Acer Predator 36" curved wide-screen G-Sync god-monitor a few months before 'discovering' VR. It's not totally wasted though, I do a lot of other stuff and games that benefit from it.

Yes, a good monitor won't go to waste.

I didn't know Acer made a 36" curved, do you mean the Z35P?

Very similar to my X34P, but with slightly larger screen, slightly more powerful speakers and VA panel insteadf of ISP. I'm loving mine.

• Like 1

Was the decision I went through when diving into the Kickstarter for the Pimax 8K.  Spend the money on a new large monitor or do I invest in a VR headset.  I decided the later but didn't realise it would take over a year to materialise.  Glad I did though as it is quite an experience and Killing Floor and Red Orchestra are quite fun in the headset under VorpX  Just have to turn off head tracking as it gets in the way of the mouse aiming with FPS's

41 minutes ago, blitze said:

....the Kickstarter for the Pimax 8K.  Spend the money on a new large monitor or do I invest in a VR headset. 

This thread was about mirrors....., originally...., so, does 200 degree FOV solve that problem? No need for the silk scarf?

I wonder how your PC coped with 8K?

(2 X 2160 is actually  4K though, isn't it? ) In fact,  each eye only gets 2160k, so '8K' could a bit overstated. still, 2160, even when that close to your eyes, must be spectacular. 

My laptop eGPU 2080 mix copes ok with the 8K,  Will look at alternatives later in the year with the advent of Ryzen 3 and take it from there.  There are newer laptops with decent Intel based CPU's 6 core - 4.8Ghz boost clocks.

My i7700HQ boosts to about 3.6 to 3.8 (3.8 claimed but not seen).

Render Target Res is now at 3678 x 3240 which gives a reasonable image at smooth frame rate.  That is at 150 Degree FOV, the 200 is DIagonal FOV which is just BS marketing, biggest horizontal FOV is 170 degrees.

If the headset comes out in a non upscaled version toward the end of the year I think I will jump on it.  Given I am not pushing the limits of the DP1.4 bandwidth it would be nice if we could bypass the upscaler via software.  Also, if Il2 drops the need for Parallel Projections that would also be a boon for this headset.  Less demanding processing with Parallel Projection Compatibility required.

Play on Balanced with terrain render at lvl 3, 100km distance, high shadows and high clouds.  Also play with sharpening off as it gives less jaggies for me.

Best fun was doing a QMB against a flight of Red Nosed Yak 7's - they looked gorgeous as they were trying to kill me over the coast of the Kuban Peninsular.

Oh, the screens are 2 x 4K screens.  2160 vertical is 4k but they are running the signal at 1440p per eye to an upscaler in the headset so they could give 80Hz both eyes at the same time with the limits of DP 1.4 bandwidth.  The 5K and 8K headsets though are smooth at around the 40Hz mark in VR (you have to experience them to understand and I know this is an issue for Vive and Oculus owners but those that have come from those systems to the Pimax seem to be quite impressed at that it doesn't need the high Hz/fps for a decent VR experience)

At 170FOV, one sees 4425 x 2160 res at supposedly native res (as reported at steam when I have Full FOV and vertical res at 2160).  I understand the screens have extra Horizontal res to allow for IPD adjustment with I believe dials not only the lenses across the screens (with a hardware dial) but the corresponding image as well (via software) to match the IPD positioning.

19 hours ago, blitze said:

My laptop eGPU 2080 mix .........

Had to look that up, so now I know what an eGPU enclosure is. Sounds like you have quite a potent laptop there.

Thanks for all the VR information.

QMB? Some sort of quick mission I'm guessing.

QMB = Quick Mission Builder.  Good for testing aircraft and skills or taking scenic flights over the mountains of Kuban in Spring.

On 3/23/2019 at 9:40 PM, blitze said:

Maybe you might consider one of these.

170 degree FOV - granted the edges are not the sharpest but they are more than enough to help with see if something is on your ass without having to do the Exorcist  Style head turn.  Just need a beefy system to run it at full FOV.  Options are 130, 150 and 170 degree FOV.  I run 1`50 but would be nice to run 170 but I can swivel on my chair to ease the neck trauma.

Image courtesy of RoadtoVR

Oh and with SteamVR smoothing - don't have to run it at 90hz/fps

Pimax HMD.jpg

better wait a month and invest in an Oculus S.

14 hours ago, Henree said:

better wait a month and invest in an Oculus S.

Yeah - No. 🤣