Sign in to follow this  
SYN_Requiem

I'm visiting England for a couple weeks...

I've managed to arrange a visit at short notice after my schedule fell into place with enough time off...

Any suggestions on good stuff to do? The IWM and Duxford are the only definites I've ever thought about when going to England. My wife already has a good idea about what she wants to see in London and we'll be there for 4-5 days.

Just after anyone's thoughts about things they may have seen and really enjoyed or wish they got to see.

Will have a car leaving london but probably not planning on going up to Scotland or anything like that.

You don't mention the dates you and the wife will be visiting. If it's during the first week of April you might like to visit The Petwood Hotel, Woodhall Spa near the Dambuster's Museum and chat with a Mosquito pilot and legend of the RAF, Bill Ramsey. This event supports The People's Mosquito Project.

Bill's a real star. Anyone who had the supercharger on #3 Merlin on the BBMF's Lancaster blow on short finals to Southend Airport, trimmed it out and pulled off a 'greaser', is some kind of pilot. Bill survived tours on the Hastings, Tornado, Vulcan, Hawk, Harrier, Dakota, Lancaster, Tutor, King Air, and flew many more (even a Pucara!)

https://www.petwood.co.uk/events-calendar/an-evening-with-bill-ramsey-and-the-peoples-mosquito/41

Just landed in Heathrow so the clock starts now. We're flexible on when to leave though. Thanks for that info though, looks good!

A few things come to mind, depending on what you're into. I'd certainly make use of the free museums. 

Natural History Museum (amazing in every way)

British Museum (classic)

RAF Museum in Hendon (got some great exhibits, and is close to the tube)

Hampton Court (in Greater London, but easy to get to and very pretty, provided you don't mind paying an entrance fee)

Any of the Royal Parks (they're all great, but Richmond Park is particularly picturesque, and it has deer, so that a plus. If you end up going there, take a quick detour over Richmond Hill, it's got one of the best views in London)

Hope you enjoy the stay!

Edited by Leaf
  • Thanks 1

yeah i really enjoyed black beer there, but is it still 2300 the cursed hour?

also there are  huge ravens at the tower of london who transmit englands histoy pretty well

Edited by raaaid

There is a De Havilland Mosquito museum at Hatfield north of London. And of course lots of Battle of Britain stuff in Kent. Dont forget the War Rooms when in London.

• Thanks 1

If in London, don't forget HMS Belfast. If you get the chance, the maritime museum in Portsmouth is amazing and the Gosport museum likewise if you interested in subs. Oddly, one of my favourite places in London is St Bartholomew's church in Smithfield..if you want to feel what "old" really is...speaking of which, if you do go to Portsmouth try Portchester for the same reason.

• Thanks 1

On 3/22/2019 at 4:16 PM, DD_Crash said:

There is a De Havilland Mosquito museum at Hatfield north of London. And of course lots of Battle of Britain stuff in Kent. Dont forget the War Rooms when in London.

Got my eye on this one if we have enough time after the RAF musuem on the way up to Duxford.

On 3/22/2019 at 8:56 PM, sallee said:

If in London, don't forget HMS Belfast. If you get the chance, the maritime museum in Portsmouth is amazing and the Gosport museum likewise if you interested in subs. Oddly, one of my favourite places in London is St Bartholomew's church in Smithfield..if you want to feel what "old" really is...speaking of which, if you do go to Portsmouth try Portchester for the same reason.

Won’t have the time for the Belfast unfortunately, didn’t get to it after spending such a long time at the London Tower. Spent some time in Westminster Abbey today. I’m not religious at all but that was a very impressive place.