dburne

Reverb - new offering from HP

This is the consumer version, ergomonics seems to be right, more deep review should follow...

When he compares it with the Rift (released 3 years ago!!) I can not remove one thinking of my mind: "Why Oculus can not just produce now the Halfdome with Reverb´s resolution and 140FOV for 700$" (of course, in addition to the Rift S and Quest)

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bombdetere said:

there's a lot of information in those images that can be misrepresented depending on the camera used, distance from the lens, filters, side lighting, camera sensor, etc.. etc... For a general VR user all it represents is "hey, it's working"..

Well you can extract a bit more from it than that. As long as you can observe the resolution, estimate the scale of the object and observe the perspective, you already have enough information to get an idea of how it will look. At least if you have a bit of knowledge about the technology. Of course if you look at the image and think "if I glued this image from Twitter to my eyeball that is how it will look" you'll be off by quite a bit...

That being said though, it's worth reading what the photographer actually experienced. And compared to the 5k, it's apparently "way better".

https://mobile.twitter.com/MilleliriA/status/1126278332419661825

Edited by kissklas
  • Upvote 1

Any news n the new date for release...the 6th has come & gone......

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Any news n the new date for release...the 6th has come & gone......

And so has the 8th which was their next date after the postpone. Maybe something needing fixing, or they struggle to acquire parts or something...

Crossing my fingers for a release soon!

7 hours ago, Georgio said:

One thing is for sure and that is the VR market isn't dying on it's feet like some people will have you believe.

I think the next 5 years will be very interesting personally.

Yep that is for sure.

On Redit someone said they need at least few more weeks.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

This is the consumer version, ergomonics seems to be right, more deep review should follow...

When he compares it with the Rift (released 3 years ago!!) I can not remove one thinking of my mind: "Why Oculus can not just produce now the Halfdome with Reverb´s resolution and 140FOV for 700$" (of course, in addition to the Rift S and Quest)

I don't think I could bear watching another Sweviver video lol...

Oculus focus has shifted, that is undeniable. Which is why they partnered with Lenovo to "throw us PC enthusiasts a bone".

Perhaps at some point it will shift back, remains to be seen and likely be a while if so.

https://translate.google.com/translate?depth=3&hl=de&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://www.computerbase.de/2019-04/oculus-kein-high-end-vr-headset/&xid=17259,15700021,15700043,15700186,15700191,15700253,15700256,15700259

Edited by dburne

Yeah, that´s the problem of Oculus: Facebook

I don´t like the motto "connecting people". It is more "collecting people information" to sell it.

So finally we know, the Oculus acquisition from Facebook has not been as good as many of us thought!  

9 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

Yeah, that´s the problem of Oculus: Facebook

I don´t like the motto "connecting people". It is more "collecting people information" to sell it.

So finally we know, the Oculus acquisition from Facebook has not been as good as many of us thought!  

Yeah I think they are clearly the Evil Empire and jumping on VR is just another way to control the next social media walled garden.

But. I think Facebook's acquisition of Oculus has been good for VR. Without the success of Rift CV1 and the Vive, we would probably not have the Valve Index, the Pimax 5k+, or the Reverb to choose from. I believe the "enthusiast" class of VR user will benefit from "mainstream" VR adoption.

I'm trying to decide if I should cancel my Rift S pre-order and get the Reverb instead. Gah!

• Upvote 1

The problem is that Facebook core business is getting people information.

The Oculus core business was doing state of the art VR devices. This is not true any more at least for PC VR.

14 hours ago, Alonzo said:

I'm trying to decide if I should cancel my Rift S pre-order and get the Reverb instead. Gah!

It is an easy decision to not contribute anymore to the Evil Empire  😉

The Rift S doesn´t solve the two more important "problems" of the current Rift: Resolution and FOV. And put another problem: worst audio.

So, having a Rift and using it for IL-2 the logical upgrades would be Reverb, Index or Pimaxes.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Yeah I think they are clearly the Evil Empire and jumping on VR is just another way to control the next social media walled garden.

But. I think Facebook's acquisition of Oculus has been good for VR. Without the success of Rift CV1 and the Vive, we would probably not have the Valve Index, the Pimax 5k+, or the Reverb to choose from. I believe the "enthusiast" class of VR user will benefit from "mainstream" VR adoption.

Depends on other factors as well, like your graphicscard. If you can run a Pimax, Index or Reverb, go for them. The Rift S is just best in price efficiency, and has decent controllers. You can play your Oculus Store games with some modifications with the other headsets as well.

Posted (edited)

Very strange, there are some Youtubers who have the REVERB already and still no Videos or Reviews where we can see it in Action!?

What is wrong there?

Edited by spitfirejoe

3 hours ago, spitfirejoe said:

Very strange, there are some Youtubers who have the REVERB already and still no Videos or Reviews where we can see it in Action!?

What is wrong there?

Could be an NDA, or a rolling out of firmware updates to reviewers, or just time. Who knows... It does take a bit of time to do a full in depth video review. But MRTV has said on twitter that a full review is coming, and that he is trying to get it done for sunday.

I'm already so sold on it though that if a buy button appears anywhere I will probably dropkick it out of reflex.

• Haha 1

kissklas.....I am also very interested in the Reverb, but I am scared that it does not provide enough FPS due to the high resloution.

I hope MRTV will bring a Video tomorrow. 

46 minutes ago, spitfirejoe said:

kissklas.....I am also very interested in the Reverb, but I am scared that it does not provide enough FPS due to the high resloution.

Yeah it will require some horsepower for sure. What GPU are you running?

I use a GTX1080 Ti and a 32Gb Ram i7-8700k NON overclocked System.

With a Rift and an OS+ I can run everything smooth. But everybody knows how Hardware hungry VR is and even with an i9 and RTX2080 Ti it can be hard with a Pimax, so let´s see and wait which results MRTV will get with the Reverb.

I wish we would have FOVeated rendering with integrated eyetracking already with the Reverb, that could safe a lot of hardwarepower.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, spitfirejoe said:

I use a GTX1080 Ti and a 32Gb Ram i7-8700k NON overclocked System.

With a Rift and an OS+ I can run everything smooth. But everybody knows how Hardware hungry VR is and even with an i9 and RTX2080 Ti it can be hard with a Pimax, so let´s see and wait which results MRTV will get with the Reverb.

I wish we would have FOVeated rendering with integrated eyetracking already with the Reverb, that could safe a lot of hardwarepower.

Are you supersampling with the O+? If you are, running the Reverb near or at native resolution will probably yeald good results without too much extra strain on your system. As we increase the resolution we also lower the need for sampling up. A bit of AA in post may suffice.

Edit: noticed your nickname now! Maybe we'll be able to read the damn compass more easily in the spit with the reverb! 😂

Edited by kissklas
Spitfires

yes I use steamVR SS with my OS+ but only 120% with IL-2 with iRacing 150%

with the Rift I always used 200%.

with a REVERB I would not use more than 100% SS.

MRTV wrote that he used 150% SS with the Reverb in Xplane11 and got 55 FPS...........55 FPS is not really much, but I do not understand why he used 150% SS instead of 100%?

3 minutes ago, spitfirejoe said:

yes I use steamVR SS with my OS+ but only 120% with IL-2 with iRacing 150%

with the Rift I always used 200%.

with a REVERB I would not use more than 100% SS.

MRTV wrote that he used 150% SS with the Reverb in Xplane11 and got 55 FPS...........55 FPS is not really much, but I do not understand why he used 150% SS instead of 100%?

To show the device from it's best side in the through lens shots no doubt! But 55 is ok for those who can handle reprojection I guess. Btw you should really try to clock up the 8700k. I've got mine at 4,9 atm. It really helps.

1 hour ago, spitfirejoe said:

Looks like it'll come sooner😁

• Like 2

interesting review, but in the end we need to try it by ourselves and see how it performs.

Sadly he did not test IL-2.

Posted (edited)

Interesting. That said I checked my Odyssey for Mura, and it does have strong Mura as well. I never noticed. Can't be unseen. Gott verdammt!

Also read a review from Ars Technica, but after reading some comments on the article, I believe it's fake. 

- They don't provide their own pictures, they only use already available ones.

- The reviewer talks about the "flip up functionality" of the HP Reverb. It does not have one. The old HP hmd did.

- He also mentions "5$ airplane" headphones that could not get detached to properly use the audio jack. However, the headphones can get detached.

The article also criticizes that the clarity does not extend over the entire lens to the corners. Which no headset of today does afaik, they all have their sweet spots. 

All in all I am wondering. I'll think about it till monday, but I'll probably give this headset a go anyway. 

VR gets released and cash leaves my Portemonnaie, it's terrible. 😂

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Like 1

I'm sold on the Reverb. Put one in my shopping cart to order later this year. Waiting for an optician appointment in early September and the latest prescription. When I got my Odyssey+ I was too impatient to use it and wore the headset over my glasses only once to test. Now I have a tiny scratch just below my line of sight on the right lens.

Corrective VR lenses will be available from VR Lens-Germany soon. I bought lenses for Rift and Odyssey+ from them and can vouch they are of the highest quality. Only $69 US and delivered in 10 - 14 days from order.  https://vroptician.com/

My only concern is the fixed IPD. This HMD is set to 63mm and is said to accommodate IPDs 8mm +/- or a range of 55 to 71mm. My IPD is 69.1 and I wonder if this means the sweet spot will appear more center focused to me.  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Interesting. That said I checked my Odyssey for Mura, and it does have strong Mura as well. I never noticed. Can't be unseen. Gott verdammt!

Also read a review from Ars Technica, but after reading some comments on the article, I believe it's fake. 

- They don't provide their own pictures, they only use already available ones.

- The reviewer talks about the "flip up functionality" of the HP Reverb. It does not have one. The old HP hmd did.

- He also mentions "5$ airplane" headphones that could not get detached to properly use the audio jack. However, the headphones can get detached.

The article also criticizes that the clarity does not extend over the entire lens to the corners. Which no headset of today does afaik, they all have their sweet spots. 

All in all I am wondering. I'll think about it till monday, but I'll probably give this headset a go anyway. 

VR gets released and cash leaves my Portemonnaie, it's terrible. 😂

Yeah the ars review is weird.

I believe the guy was also on reddit a week or so ago doing an AMA and didnt know what a sweet spot was...

I'll probably give the reverb a go too, but i also have an index on order :S

Edited by Aloha-Snackbar

Posted (edited)

Oh my god......I DID IT!!!

I am such an impatient guy, like a small boy who can not wait 😂

I just ordered the REVERB. I live in Germany and here I did not find any Webshop where to order the HMD, so I ordered it in my neighbour country The Netherlands.

https://www.derekenwinkel.nl/catalogsearch/result/?q=hp+reverb

I ordered the more expensive edition with the leather cover. It is expected to be delivered around the 22nd of May.....next week then.

I am very curious. Hopefully it is great and I can sell my OS+....... I had a lot of VR HMD´s already, started with PSVR, then Vive Pro ( Not happy with it ), then Rift, then OS+

Edited by spitfirejoe
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, spitfirejoe said:

Oh my god......I DID IT!!!

I am such an impatient guy, like a small boy who can not wait 😂

I just ordered the REVERB. I live in Germany and here I did not find any Webshop where to order the HMD, so I ordered it in my neighbour country The Netherlands.

I ordered the more expensive edition with the leather cover. It is expected to be delivered around the 22nd of May.....next week then.

I am very curious. Hopefully it is great and I can sell my OS+....... I had a lot of VR HMD´s already, started with PSVR, then Vive Pro ( Not happy with it ), then Rift, then OS+

Congrats - looking forward to hearing your impressions of it and how it runs in IL-2.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I will post my impressions after testing for sure.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, spitfirejoe said:

I will post my impressions after testing for sure.

Will be very interested to hear you impressions of the Reverb joe:salute:  

• Like 1

I hope it works out for you, the shop seems to have terrible reviews on Google. 

Tell us then how it is please, drücke dir die Daumen!!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

I hope it works out for you, the shop seems to have terrible reviews on Google. 

Tell us then how it is please, drücke dir die Daumen!!

Haha, yes I just saw some reviews of that shop TODAY, AFTER I ordered already 😓

I hope this dutch shop provides, if not I will try to get my money back through PayPal.

I will let you know/werde natürlich berichten.

Gruß Joerg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dburne said:

https://www.roadtovr.com/hp-reverb-release-date-delay-slip-out-of-stock/

Seems HP has gone quiet on the subject of "when"... 

Most likely the product had some serious flaws that could not be fixed in time for the release.

At this point I wonder if it will ever be available...  I would guess in HP the blame game has started and quite a few heads are rolling.

Yeah -  I pre- ordered the Rift S the day it went live, pretty sure at this point I will be enjoying it for months before any of these other new devices hit the market.

breaking news, seems the Reverb has been recalled

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Nibbio said:

Thanks for posting.  The headset may be cancelled all together at this point. We will see.

Oh well gives me a chance to test fly the Rift S...

sm2.jpg

On 12. 5. 2019 at 23:29, spitfirejoe said:

Ach môj bože ...... urobil som to !!!

Som taký netrpezlivý človek, ako malý chlapec, ktorý sa nemôže dočkať  😂

Práve som objednal Reverb. Žijem v Nemecku a tu som nenašiel žiadnu internetovom obchode, kde uložil HMD, tak som si objednal to vo svojej susednej krajine Holandsko.

Objednal som drahšie verzii s koženým poťahom. Očakáva sa, že bude dodaný okolo 22. mája ..... budúci týždeň potom.

Som veľmi zvedavý. Dúfajme, že to je skvelé a môžem predať svoj OS + ....... Musel som veľa VR HMD 's už začala s PSVR, potom Vive Pro (nie s ním spokojní), potom Rift, potom OS +

Hello. How does it mean: 1 jaar beperkte garantie?

Posted (edited)

"1 jaar beperkte garantie" in dutch means in english "1 year limited warranty"

means that the warranty is 1 year instead of 2 years, which would be standard in europe

Thanks for posting the delay info!!! 

I am sad to hear about such delay, now we don't have any release date and don't know what will happen.

I just canceled my preorder and hope I will get my money back.

The consequence is that I will use my Odyssey Plus longer.

Edited by spitfirejoe

2 hours ago, Nibbio said:

That's weird. I wonder why a recall? Is the headset hazardous?

15 minutes ago, coconut said:

That's weird. I wonder why a recall? Is the headset hazardous?

Eek. Something that you strap to your head and position close to your eyes having a safety flaw? That could be really bad.

I guess I'm sticking with my Rift S pre-order then. Maybe we'll get the Index in Canada by Christmas and I can switch to that in due course.